PDA

View Full Version : Google SketchUp for modelling planes ??

dogon1013
06-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Anyone use Googles 3D modeling tool called sketchUp to model any planes or buildings?

http://sketchup.google.com/

They have a free version that will not allow exports (I think) but the Pro version will allow 3DS exports. Could this work with the 3DS to KEX converter?

The pro version costs $500 but does have an 8hour free trial, which might be enough to export a file or two.

nemo_uk
06-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Unfortunately you canít create a hierarchy of objects in sketchup. (as far as I understand the "3ds2kex" looks for a hierarchy in the 3ds file)

You can still model your house and then see it in google earth though :D

FlyGuy
06-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I used to use the pro version of "SketchUp" at work a couple of years ago. Its pretty cool software for doing super fast 3D models but unfortunately it has too many limitations. If you look at the pics I posted (a scene I made in sketchup) you'll notice their are no rounded edges (chamfered or fillet) on anything in the scene.

dogon1013
06-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Is the hierarchy necessary, or could you input multiple files and assign the heirarchy?

I have access to an engineering solid modeller (Solid Edge) and I'm trying to find an easy (and cheap) way to convert a model plane I made into G3.

I suspect i will have to get one of the guys on this board to do the conversion for me.