PDA

View Full Version : Chance Vought Corsair F4U 1

Boof69
12-26-2011, 09:43 PM
This is hands down my favorite airplane of all. The Corsair. I'm aware that there is no shortage of Corsairs between add ons and the swaps, but I'm building one because it's my favorite. There are little differences though. This is the first production version of the corsair The F4U 1 has a "Birdcage" style canopy and directly behind it the fuselage has cutouts to provide rearward visibility. The cowl is different, it has no scoops built into it like later models. The exhaust is positioned below the wing's level and is outfitted with flame suppressors. Other small details are different from the other available models as well, but they are minor. This will be the most fun I've had modeling I suspect because I like the airplane so much. I have put no time limit on it or a poly limit. I will not be working on other projects during the build either.

I'm hoping there are members here that have flown a scale model of a Corsair that would like to help with the physics when the time comes. PM me with your email if your interested.

Wish me luck! :)

willsonman
12-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Always great to have another. Big thing on corsairs is the signature snap roll with just use of rudder. Other than that its fairly straight forward. Review some of the write-ups on helper objects to get the gear rotation. Or Doug could just chime in. Its something that can be very useful for making that gear retract the way it should. Folding wings has also never been done for this subject... something to consider.

Boof69
12-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Both points will be addressed with this one. The cowl flaps will operate as well hopefully. I Have the gear figured out. Shouldn't be a problem. Timing may be the only issue for those, but shouldn't be any harder than the steering gear on the fireboss.

Mikeymike21
12-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Awesome!!

Boof69
12-26-2011, 11:30 PM
Fuselage and cowl render and cap.

opjose
12-27-2011, 12:18 AM
That photo of the Corsair makes it look so nice.

Boof if you EVER get a chance, how about you give the Ryan STA a go?

The one in the sim is not very good and I'd like to see you do it to the level of your Stampe. ( Awesome job btw!!! ).

Boof69
12-27-2011, 12:26 AM
I caught your comment and found reference for the Ryan St-A. I thought it would make a nice project. It's scheduled next after the Corsair. :) If you have any thoughts about the details for the Ryan shoot them my way in a PM.

Which photo were you referring to?

Boof69
12-27-2011, 01:25 AM
Canopy is cut. Vertical stab and rudder added. Done for tonight. :)

12oclockhigh
12-27-2011, 11:04 AM
I am really pleased that there is going to be a new Corsair. This plane really deserves a nice modelling job..

What scale are you planning for the finished bird? I am hoping for 1/4 scale or larger. I wish you could get the sound from one of those new radial engines for it. Are you going to have folding wing tips?

Take your time, do it right. Don't make me send Pappy after you. :D

Boof69
12-27-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm fond of medium sized models in RF so the scale will be close to but under 1/4 scale. 1/4 scale would be a 10'3" wingspan and I'm thinking more like a 9'. Sound is of course out of my control but making my own engine with my own torque curves and idle torque percentage I may be able to get a nice sound. The wings will fold and the cowl flaps will operate if all goes well in the poly count. I will be taking my time for sure on this model. I spent two weeks on my last model and a month on the one before that. I will probably be a month and a half into this corsair. I bought a Tamiya 1/48th scale model for accurate panel lines, landing gear, and cockpit detail. I also have a folder packed with reference shots and a set of links to scale model builds with many high res shots. I hope to do it justice.

Don't send pappy! :eek:

U-Bird
12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
A REALLY Outstanding "U-Bird" would be a great addition to everyones Air Wing of War Birds. Got photo's of bird you want to do along with drawings, however they will have to be sent E-Mail because of size. Look for them when you get a chance. working from Prop Hub, aft to tail.

Boof69
12-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Added canopy cutouts and horizontal.

opjose
12-27-2011, 02:39 PM
I caught your comment and found reference for the Ryan St-A. I thought it would make a nice project. It's scheduled next after the Corsair. :) If you have any thoughts about the details for the Ryan shoot them my way in a PM.

Oh-My-Gosh! YEAH!!!

Which photo were you referring to?

That last Jetphotos.net one... damn that plane is "pretty" in that shot, while still looking agressive.

Maj. Numbskully
12-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Probably one of the most photographed Planks there is
here are some of the "U" and a few other variants
http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/bill_spidle/f4u-4_walk.htm
http://agapemodels.com/?p=1243
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/AWA1/101-200/walk136_Corsair/walk136.htm
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&sz=all&va=f4u+corsair+walk+around

My vote is for Pappys scheme.......... if you don't do it ...........I just might ;)
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=12177

Boof69
12-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the links Maj. I had all but one and that one has some great pics. :)

U-Bird
12-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Something magical when you see a Corsair in the air, there is no question what your looking at when you see the plane.

Boof69
12-27-2011, 08:45 PM
I reworked the area where the elevator meets the fuse and put in the glass with the buble top and a bit of cockpit rough in. Still no wings. :)

Boof69
12-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Wings!

Boof69
12-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Folding wings and control surfaces. The wing hinge line is not perfect as far as the exact position of the pivot point. I would like to put some details in the wing seam, but I will wait til I get other areas put in. Poly count is 5898 with allot of detail left to go.

Maj. Numbskully
12-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Nice to see the folding wings .....Dr. Moo and I had fun in 4.5 MP folding the wings in mid flight with the gibbys corsair and then recovering :p :rolleyes: :D

Boof69
12-28-2011, 07:20 PM
I haven't flown that one. I'll go check it out. :)

Boof69
12-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Feeling deflected..... :( :)

U-Bird
12-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Looking really good! My father was on the islands when the Marines first started flying Corsairs

U-Bird
12-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Shade is where you find it.

maxx2504
12-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_qJjwXhG9E !!!!!!!!!!! :D

maxx

Boof69
12-29-2011, 02:08 AM
I'm done for tonight......umm...this morning. I'm at 40 moving objects and I haven't made the gear yet. The oil cooler vents are modeled. The polys are at 7,498 with many things left to do. Cockpit details, engine, landing gear, and assorted other details. Not to mention coll mesh. This thing looks crazy with everything rotated. :)
I'm having allot of fun with the Corsair.

U-Bird
12-29-2011, 01:51 PM
Sent you some more "STIMULUS PACKAGES", look for them when you get a chance. I think people are getting in line to fly this baby.

U-Bird
12-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Love to see them fly

U-Bird
12-29-2011, 01:56 PM
This is the shot that is the wallpaper on my other computer, it switches over to F2Gs and back to this one. A really good flight shot.

Boof69
12-29-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all the quality shots Rick. I have all the email pics in my folder as well. It's all a big help.

U-Bird
12-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Should be getting quite a large folder by now.

Boof69
12-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Yuppers. :)

U-Bird
12-29-2011, 05:49 PM
There are ONLY 3 of these left in existance,the 2 pictures in color are now flying and the one black&white is in Mil colors as pictured in a museum. There might be a 4th. These babys had lots of muscle to drag them around

willsonman
12-29-2011, 06:39 PM
I have ALWAYS been a fan of the checker pattern on this one.

Boof69
12-30-2011, 06:42 PM
I hope I didn't invest too many polys in the landing gear!

U-Bird
12-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Seems that flight shots, well any shots of a BIRDCAGE Bird is hard to find. Most Corsairs still flying are FG 1s built by Goodyear. Here's a few more shots. Sent another STIMULUS Package.
Check out the ATTACKING Tiger Moth on the last pic.

U-Bird
12-31-2011, 12:51 PM
More shots

U-Bird
12-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Last two shots

andy29847
01-04-2012, 04:54 PM
http://airgord.smugmug.com/Other/Aircraft/i-JVWmR56/0/L/DSC02734-L.jpg

Boof69
01-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Wow that's highly modified. I dig the CS though. I wonder if someone will do it when it's done. ;)

Boof69
01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
After a long search for what was making the Corsair crash RF whenever I tried to add a component in the editor I finally found it. A tiny typo in the NUP values for one of the steering gear doors. Also I somehow unparented some things in Max and it was screwing with the fuse shape in RF. Now all those problems are behind me and I got all of the physics components lined up and working. I still need to get it flying well as it sucks right now. It still needs to be mapped! :eek: Allot of work left to go. I love it.

twoeleven
01-05-2012, 11:46 PM
http://airgord.smugmug.com/Other/Aircraft/i-JVWmR56/0/L/DSC02734-L.jpg

That is the Super Corsair.

Possibly the hottest warplane of W.W. II, the Goodyear F2G Super Corsair, a refinement of the fabulous F4U, was designed to counter the totally unexpected advent of the kamikazes, or suicide planes. The war ended before the mighty Super Corsair saw combat and after the war, several were surplused to the racing crowd. One of only two examples are known to exist, the Goodyear F2G-1 Super Corsair #57 won the 1949 Tinnerman trophy and placing 3rd in the Cleveland air races that same year.

See how smart I sound when I completely plagiarize DHK79's Aircraft descriptions? ;)

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=3999

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads/f2g-1supercorsair73353.jpg

Looking great so far Boof.

Boof69
01-05-2012, 11:48 PM
This is a question for anyone who may know what is going on here. On the top side of each wing of the Corsair there is a cover that rotates towards the fuse to allow for the hinge to move without crushing the wing skin. The only way for these to work properly in RF is to give them the GD2 gear door designation therefore they need a Landing gear component to trigger their movement. I handled that by making a dummy object and naming it ~CS_LG_HINGE. In RF I added a gear in the fuselage and loaded in the dummy. Then I assigned the wing folding servo to the gear and in the editor it worked and looked great. In the actual sim this arrangement folded the wings under the plane and the switch did nothing. I made a separate servo for the hinge and that fixed the wings but in the sim the hinge door doesn't move. In the editor everything I try works just fine. I have even tried making a dummy per hinge door and making them a child of the respective wing. Same thing. Why would this work in the editor and not outside of it? :confused:

Boof69
01-06-2012, 12:42 AM
I found a good picture of the Corsair's radial (The Pratt & Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp radial). I did a trial run to see how it will look in the cowl.

brields
01-06-2012, 01:38 AM
There are ONLY 3 of these left in existance,the 2 pictures in color are now flying and the one black&white is in Mil colors as pictured in a museum. There might be a 4th. These babys had lots of muscle to drag them around

Those aren't F4U-1's ! :eek:
There actually F2G corsairs. Note the tear drop canopies.

willsonman
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM
This is a question for anyone who may know what is going on here. On the top side of each wing of the Corsair there is a cover that rotates towards the fuse to allow for the hinge to move without crushing the wing skin. The only way for these to work properly in RF is to give them the GD2 gear door designation therefore they need a Landing gear component to trigger their movement. I handled that by making a dummy object and naming it ~CS_LG_HINGE. In RF I added a gear in the fuselage and loaded in the dummy. Then I assigned the wing folding servo to the gear and in the editor it worked and looked great. In the actual sim this arrangement folded the wings under the plane and the switch did nothing. I made a separate servo for the hinge and that fixed the wings but in the sim the hinge door doesn't move. In the editor everything I try works just fine. I have even tried making a dummy per hinge door and making them a child of the respective wing. Same thing. Why would this work in the editor and not outside of it? :confused:
I would do this with a moveable pod. Since the wings would be rotating on a pod as well you would rotate off the same servo but adjust the rotation angle to match. It would take some tweaking but would give a better effect IMO.

Boof69
01-06-2012, 11:37 AM
The effect is perfect in the editor its just not working in the sim. I don't think that you can get a moveable pod to do it. I tried that first and it opens great but it closes before the wing is in the down position. If you could outline how to do it or maybe I could send you a rfx and you could fiddle with it.

Boof69
01-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Ok you were right. I put them in movable pods then made a servo just for the hinge covers. Then I put that servo in a signal modifier and built in a delay. It still wasn't perfect until I set the hinge cover servo to a slower speed. Bingo bango it works.
The question still stands why would the other method work in the editor and not in the sim. Is there a limit to the amount of gear doors RF can handle?

willsonman
01-06-2012, 04:11 PM
I dont think that is what the GD variants were designed for. I'm happy to fiddle but looks like you got it. Just make sure your aerodynamics are set to zilch on that pod. You may get some strange lift or drag as a result. Its a cosmetic thing and really should not contribute to aerodynamics.

Boof69
01-06-2012, 04:45 PM
By default movable pods aerodynamic percentage is zero that's where I always leave them.
I have 15 cowl flaps that I wanted to make move so I made them GD1 components set them to move from a dummy object named ~CS_LG_CFC. They work great. I think there may be a limit to how many gear can be added. Currently I have 7 landing gear components per side for the main gear, 2 for the steering gear, and 1 for the cowl flaps. If you count symmetrical gear as 1 that's a total of 10 gear components. Maybe 10 is the limit.
Never the less it's figured out. Thanks for the comments and help.

U-Bird
01-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Wow that's highly modified. I dig the CS though. I wonder if someone will do it when it's done. ;)
Actually the F2G pictured and the Blue Checked F2G are in a almost completely STOCK configuration.
They are the ONLY F2Gs flying, so they have stock engines for reliability and except for all the mil stuff removed and the carb air intakes extended to the front edge of the cowls, and the paint, they are as built. There were only 12 built, the war ended before they could be used so orders were canceled. This bird could climb to 10,000 feet as fast as the F8F Bearcat, and that is what it was built to do. With that 28 cylinder engine, it would have been a hand full to maintain aboard a aircraft carrier during the war.
The canopy is not a "racing" modification, they were built by Goodyear Aircraft with the canopy you see. Can you imagine the cost of a "0" time, new, in the can, P&W R4360? WOW!!!
As I mentioned earlier, there are 3 F2Gs, the 2 pictured and 1 still in Mil Config on display.

Boof69
01-07-2012, 11:17 AM
When I said "highly modified" I meant from the XF4U or the F4U 1 that I'm currently building. Lot's of visual and non visual changes between the early versions and the F2G.

U-Bird
01-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Combat brings change. There would be much change before production stopped for all Corsairs.
She's looking great!!

pplace
01-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Actually the F2G pictured and the Blue Checked F2G are in a almost completely STOCK configuration.
They are the ONLY F2Gs flying, so they have stock engines for reliability and except for all the mil stuff removed and the carb air intakes extended to the front edge of the cowls, and the paint, they are as built. There were only 12 built, the war ended before they could be used so orders were canceled. This bird could climb to 10,000 feet as fast as the F8F Bearcat, and that is what it was built to do. With that 28 cylinder engine, it would have been a hand full to maintain aboard a aircraft carrier during the war.
The canopy is not a "racing" modification, they were built by Goodyear Aircraft with the canopy you see. Can you imagine the cost of a "0" time, new, in the can, P&W R4360? WOW!!!
As I mentioned earlier, there are 3 F2Gs, the 2 pictured and 1 still in Mil Config on display.

Not exactly "as built". A couple examples (and certainly not limited to) Race 74 has clipped wings, the flaps are fully removed, shorter rudder (auxiliary rudder removed)

Boof69
01-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice to hear from you Dane.

It's been a while since I updated for the Corsair. I have been hard at work, but on the physics. This one was a slop flyer until today. I'm not saying it's perfect but it's a far cry from the terrible things it was doing before. At any rate the physics are complete enough that I feel I can concentrate on mapping starting tomorrow. I have put some of the larger parts in the wing hinge compartment. I may make them more detailed after I fit in some rudder pedals and some of the larger hard to bump parts on the control consoles to the right and left of the pilot's seat. All of the gear parts are animated so they can fit into the small leading edge compartment. Cowl flaps work as does the canopy and of course the wing fold action. I have 1,461 polys to play with but not allot of detail left to go. After all the problems I haven't mentioned I'm very happy that the physics have worked them selves out so well. :)

brields
01-10-2012, 10:54 PM
I once had the pleasure of seeing the F2G super corsair at the Plains of Fame air show in Chino. there are many color schemes for it on the swaps, but there isn't am
EA; I'd sure like to have that tear drop canopy.

Boof69
01-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Here is a F2G EA (http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=3999)

Boof69
01-16-2012, 04:10 PM
I've finally got the Corsair mapped. I haven't been able to do any work on anything. I've been quite under the weather with a severe infection. I felt better today so I moved to the next phase. I don't know when I'll start the CS, but hopfully it'll be soon.

Boof69
01-23-2012, 01:02 AM
To whom it may concern, :rolleyes:
I'm feeling better today after several days of relapse. So I blocked some color in on the Corsair. It's far from the finish product but it's getting there.

brields
01-23-2012, 07:09 PM
That's the best detail I'v ever seen. I noticed the two-tone blue-white paint.
Looking good so far.

12oclockhigh
01-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Oh how I am waiting for this one... but don't rush.. I can wait until you say it is ready.

To whom it may concern, :rolleyes:
I'm feeling better today after several days of relapse. So I blocked some color in on the Corsair. It's far from the finish product but it's getting there.

Boof69
01-24-2012, 11:19 AM
At this point I wish I could rush. It seems like I can work one day a week on it. I'm not used to that. On the other hand it is giving me time to think the CS through. I am very happy with it so far.

Kmot
01-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey Boof, I hope you are feeling better. I too have been sick for a week with a cold from hell and a lung infection.

Just an observation about your colors: Inside the interior surfaces, such as the cockpit and inside the wheel wells, the color was "zinc chromate" which is sort of a yellow/greenish. This was used on virtually all USA aircraft during WWII.

http://www.colorserver.net/history/history-zinc-chromate.htm

andy29847
01-24-2012, 02:26 PM
The last bullet of the link posted by KMOT...

"Salmon

Salmon was a pale pink-colored chromate primer used by Vought in production of the F4U Corsair. It was produced by mixing Indian Red pigment with raw Zinc Chromate primer.
The actual tone was reddish orange."

Boof69
01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
You are correct andy Salmon was the alternative color. I find it a better color combo for what I'm going for. This LINK (http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/pictures?ma=t&userid=F9F3E062FE3B44349898193F749A47C4&albumid=0EB9AA4FF0124E4CB4D2F6B5973D7F52&st=he&GUID={FE0B3F0E-DA41-4F55-A1E7-4E9CF544D0CE}&sent=session) is to a foto site for a 1/48th scale model. The CS will be adapted from those pics.

Maj. Numbskully
01-24-2012, 05:34 PM
The weathering on that model seems to exaggerated to me
I hope you're gonna keep it toned down some
that one looks like it was pulled out of moth balls :eek:

Boof69
01-24-2012, 05:57 PM
The CS will be adapted from those pics.

There will be some deviation, but it will be weathered some for sure. I'm not sure what the moth balls comment was, but I think it's one of the most attractive CSs I've seen in my searching. There will be opportunity for some valued opinions before I post it. I'm not even close yet.

Kmot
01-24-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I obviously did not read all the way to the bottom.

In all my 60 years, of which 55 have been spent consciously thinking and looking and building and working on aircraft, I have never seen Salmon primer in any Corsair ever. :confused:

Or any aircraft, for that matter.

So this is quite a revelation.

andy29847
01-24-2012, 07:51 PM
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I obviously did not read all the way to the bottom.

That is the story of my life. :)

I have never seen the Salmon color either. Heck, I didn't know why all those airplane parts were green till I read your link.

Maj. Numbskully
01-24-2012, 08:40 PM
moth balls ,,like its old beyond its years ....been in storage and neglected ......like and old pick up rusting in the yard
whomever painted that model had a little bit of a heavy hand when it came to the weathering is all I'm saying it Just doesn't look real and believable ......of course thats JMO

Got any pics of a full size corsair in that scheme??......I've never seen that one and I looked at lots of them when I was researching the pappy Boyington CS
also I've only seen that light shade of blue on the bottom of a corsair with a darker blue on top maybe

As I mentioned in the shrike thread ...I'm very Leary with plastic models as reference for CSs especially
there's to much room for erroneous artistic interpretation,
heck even the folks who restored the Memphis Bell got a few things wrong paint wise

Of course theres no law that says every model or scheme has to be 100% accurate
with the possible exception of a Reno racer I just like to see war birds in authentic colors
but you can paint it with candy cane stripes for all I care :p ;)

Boof69
01-24-2012, 09:02 PM
The same link I posted shows a black and white picture of the color scheme. You can tell it's a light blue. I imagine it's an airforce version but I don't know for sure. I'll see if I can come up with reference shots of it. I will admit though I'm not too concerned about going off the reservation a bit with this CS. I am doing this one for myself anyways so I'm ok with artistic interpretation. :)

Maj. Numbskully
01-24-2012, 09:03 PM
fair enough

seems like the contrast between the light blue and white on the bottom would be an eye catcher
Isn't it a lighter grey?
the idea is to pounce from above and not be seen ;)

Boof69
01-24-2012, 09:16 PM
That contrast seems to be present on many of the color schemes I've seen. If I added a navy blue as a tertiary on the top the scheme would be highly recognisable. Who knows I'm not done yet. As with many suggestions I need time to process them and make a decision. I appreciate the input. Thanks. :)

Maj. Numbskully
01-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Its more of a lighter gray than white
I've even see them with a more sky blue color like you're using for the top

Boof69
01-24-2012, 09:30 PM
I can't find a photograph of the color scheme, but this website documents color schemes on many aircraft. The color scheme I'm doing the U.S. marine corp.
The units they flew with is documented and it's serial, pilot and service record. You will find the the pics I posted HERE (http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/571/3/2)
Pic 1
Unit: VMF-221, USMC
Serial: 125
Pilot - Donald L.Balch. Guadalcanal, July 1943. With this machine he shot down a Zero on 6 July 1943, during a mission over the Solomon Islands.
Pic 2
Unit: VMF-214, USMC
Serial: 114
Pilot - Lt.K.Walsh. Munda, August 1943. On this a/c Lt Walsh shot down two Aichi D3A Vals and a Zero on 15 August 1943 over Vella Lavella.

Edit: I didn't even pay attention but this CS is on the Tamiya model kit box. Flying for the VMF-213 (Marine corps) and the VMF(N)-532(Marine Corps).

Finally some photographic evidence. Hard to find. I think these are technicolored photos. so the blue is different in both shots. However you can see that white was used on the belly.

dhk79
01-25-2012, 02:48 PM
There have been a bunch of paint schemes for the Corsair over the years. If you want to go "Honest to God" authentic however, contact the National Archives and ask them for a copy of the US Navy (or USMC) painting specification.

National Archives and Records Administration
Special Media Archives Services Division
Archives II
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, Maryland 20740-6001
(301) 837-3200

EDIT: Here's a couple of links you might find useful
http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_us.htm
http://www.simmerspaintshop.com/page-RGB-colors-USA.html

If you really want to get technical about paint colors, here's a link to the spec that will let you know what all the numbers mean: www.wbdg.org/ccb/FEDMIL/fedstd595b.pdf May not be helpful for pre-war era though.

Boof69
01-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Things are coming along a little faster now. I started in on the bump and added an AO layer. There are more panel lines, access doors, screws and rivets to do still. No start on the cockpit yet and I imagine that will take a while. Baby steps.. :)

pplace
01-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Looking very nice Scott!

Boof69
01-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Thank ya Dane. I'm really taking a long time on this one. :)

U-Bird
01-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Font=Arial Blacksize=4Color=Black
Size=6
Now THAT's a Corsair, and feel free to take ALL the time you want, It's getting better everday. Lookin GREAT!!!

Kmot
01-26-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't want to become known as a nitpicker. But the engine cases on P&W radials were grey, not blue. And, the magneto covers were black ;)

brields
01-27-2012, 04:48 PM
I like the way the blue fades into the white.

Boof69
01-27-2012, 10:48 PM
I'll look into the grey block thing. Thanks Kmot.
I've made some more progress so this is just an update picture post. :)

Maj. Numbskully
01-27-2012, 10:56 PM
looks good boof

brields
01-27-2012, 11:05 PM
WOW. That's all I can say.

Boof69
01-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Thanks guys. There is allot of detail left to do. I still have rivets, cockpit, grunge and grime before it's said and done.

Mikeymike21
01-27-2012, 11:59 PM
Looks really good!!

opjose
01-28-2012, 12:02 AM
You've completely mastered using the bump maps. Outstanding!

Kmot
01-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Yup, awesome looking! :D

brields
01-28-2012, 02:57 AM
Thanks guys. There is allot of detail left to do. I still have rivets, cockpit, grunge and grime before it's said and done.

!? My frame rate is gonna fall like a rock once I have this plane.

Boof69
01-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Sorry? :confused:

abaser
01-28-2012, 08:40 AM
!? My frame rate is gonna fall like a rock once I have this plane.
Turn off normals. Problem solved ;)

Boof69
01-28-2012, 08:44 AM
With my recent discovery allot of detail will be retained even with normals disabled.

abaser
01-28-2012, 08:58 AM
You mean how you are doing things with the classic .tga? Then I cant see it being as big of a system drain as using normals. I (in no way am I an expert here) would think processing would be cut down quite a bit.

Boof69
01-28-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm not completely sure how much of a drain normal maps are. I'll check to see later and let you know.

brields
01-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Turn off normals. Problem solved ;)

How?

Maj. Numbskully
01-28-2012, 04:23 PM
In the RF graphics settings you must know where that is its the same setting you turned on to see normals files in the first place , as they are turned off by default

boof your "discovery" involve emboss? .............any how I've been playing with it myself lately with some pretty cool results

Boof69
01-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Normal maps can be turned off in the simulation settings.

Boof69
01-28-2012, 04:28 PM
No it doesn't involve emboss. Just blending of the desaturated normal map with the color map.
I meant it was a discovery for me. Weather it's been done before or not I don't know.

Maj. Numbskully
01-28-2012, 04:31 PM
oh ya you mentioned that before
I've been playing with the normal map and then accenting that with emboss on the reg tga
still experimenting .I'm sure I'll have a use for it one day :p :rolleyes:

willsonman
01-28-2012, 04:34 PM
oh ya you mentioned that before
I've been playing with the normal map and then accenting that with emboss on the reg tga
still experimenting .I'm sure I'll have a use for it one day :p :rolleyes:
I've done this before with good results. Its an interesting way to easily get some good shadowing effects and the like. I would not use it for fine detailing like panel lines but has its uses to exaggerate some normal map effects as well.

Maj. Numbskully
01-28-2012, 09:23 PM
I would not use it for fine detailing like panel lines but has its uses to exaggerate some normal map effects as well.
Correct
It seems to be good for things that protrude like door hinges , hydraulic lines and the like
you can also control its effect with layer opacity
I'm sure I'll be incorporating it on future projects

willsonman
01-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Correct. Layer opacity will effect it. I have found that in GIMP its can be also controlled with the strength at which the filter is applied. Also be sure that your azimuth angle is the same as that of your normal map filter as it will basically cancel out any work you do. They must be applied at the same angles. Little tricks.

Boof69
01-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Actually I addressed the proper normals direction by inverting the desaturated normal map. Then to get more control I cut the normal layer up into many layers. Between blending,opacity, and fill the end result can be quite effective.

willsonman
01-29-2012, 09:18 AM
I agree. Layering a normal map is very helpful just as layering any CS.

brields
01-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Boof, this is gonna be one of the best planes on the swaps.
I'd like to make a special C.S. that represents your avatar.
Is that gonna be fairly easy to do?

Boof69
01-29-2012, 08:15 PM
I don't think anyone will have too hard a time doing a CS for this one. This is what the map looks like so far. The psd will be available for download from my site after it's released. That should make repaint's a bit easier.

brields
01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Years ago, when people still played the original Xbox, I played a game called
Heroes of The Pacific. One of the planes on it was the F8F Bearcat.
On of it's variants,(you could upgrade the planes) had a unique paint scheme.
It had a checkered cowling, wing tips and rudder. The rest of the plane was black,
and it was engulfed in flames, like a phoenix. It also had a Jolly Roger on each side
of the fuselage, but that's all the markings it had. It was my favorite plane to fly.

This C.S, will be similar to that, only it will be on a Corsair, and it won't have the
Jolly Roger. (Sorry, Mg. Numbskully)
I'd like to stick to the original paint scheme, but there is a chance it'll have
Phoenix wings, (on the wings) and the body of a phoenix (on the fuselage.)
I'm not sure where I'm gonna find those though.

Boof69
01-29-2012, 09:14 PM
It's projects like these that if you really try hard for a good end result you will learn allot along the way. I wish you luck with it.

brields
01-29-2012, 09:31 PM
i'm beggining my test run now with the F8F from the swaps. It's not the best, but I
have to start some where. This one, however, will look just like the one from the video game.

Boof69
01-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Cool.

uncle twist
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
i'm beggining my test run now with the F8F from the swaps. It's not the best, but I
have to start some where. This one, however, will look just like the one from the video game.
I know it`ll br better than the 332nd CS ;)

brields
01-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Well, given the original CS I'm working with now, the 332nd CS has it beat.
On the Corsair, however...I'll have to replace the rivets when I'm done.
In other words, I'm gonna need a little help. But I won't worry about it until its time.

BTW, I found the Tuskegee Airmen CS for the P-51 from G4, and applied it to
Ricky Delton's P-51 Reno Racer, which uses the same mapping.
Major Fail. I don't think that CS is even based on a real P-51.

Enough about that though, this is Boof's thread

brields
01-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Yeeaah... The Bearcat's CS is too embarrassing to post.

maxx2504
01-30-2012, 11:31 AM
Hi !

We want it ! We want it ! We want it !!!! :D :D :D :D

maxx

Boof69
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm on the case. I'm going slow for a finer result. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

brields
01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Heroes of the Pacific.

Here it is if you guys want to look at it.

12oclockhigh
01-30-2012, 05:41 PM
That is fine, just post more pictures to build the excitement... they call it chumming!

I'm on the case. I'm going slow for a finer result. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

uncle twist
01-30-2012, 11:15 PM
WOW, I don`t think I want what he`s having .................................................. ........
.................................................. .................................................. ...............................
.................................................. .................................................. ...............................
Wait, just think of all the CS`s I could post in a week :eek: :eek: :eek:
Brields, slow down, the world is`nt going to end this year ;) ;) ;)
Looks fantastic Boof. Show me the CHUM :cool: :D :D

brields
01-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Don't worry. the one for the new Corsair will be better.
We can't always pick and choose the maps we use.

I found this GIF file that has moving flames.
I sure wish I could utilize it into the CS. The Corsair really would look like a phoenix.

Oh well, at least I found my wings.

Boof69
01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
I got started with some of the grunge on this plane. I've reduced some of the intensity from my example model. I think it's going the right way.

brields
01-31-2012, 08:59 PM
AAAHHH! It's missing a tail hook! :eek:

Norton
01-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Maybe there's no hook on this plane?

Trust me, he knows whats he is doing.

Might add it later, it will be a piece of work though!

brields
01-31-2012, 09:13 PM
No hook on an F4U ?! (O.k., maybe I have seen it before.

Anyway, I hope KE releases an update to allow this plane to be used in Warbird
Combat. :D

Maj. Numbskully
01-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Just how would you use a tail hook in RF anyhow :confused:

willsonman
01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
GRAPPLE!!! :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvCT7oKIZ-Y

brields
01-31-2012, 11:03 PM
Just how would you use a tail hook in RF anyhow :confused:
I already figured out how to use a grapple as an arrestor hook. I just need someone
to set up the cables.

Boof69
01-31-2012, 11:07 PM
The early versions of the F4U were found unfit for carrier landings until the British developed a maneuver that made it possible. I'm not saying they removed the tailhook but there truly is no use for it in RF. I have about 600 polys in reserve and if I don't find a better place for them I will include a non operating tail hook.

Boof69
01-31-2012, 11:08 PM
I already figured out how to use a grapple as an arrestor hook. I just need someone
to set up the cables.
By all means share your thoughts. I don't think it would look too great dangling from the back of my corsair though.

willsonman
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM
bwahahah... no comment... just... no comment. :D

phrank
01-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Ugh!! That's just wrong! :p :D

brields
02-01-2012, 01:01 AM
"OH GOSH!!! And you people say MY generation is immature. :eek: :p

You know you can assighn the hook to graphical part, right?

On second thought, W(why)TF is the hook animated as a BALL in the first place?

Boof69
02-01-2012, 01:14 AM
It's just the default shape. So far I haven't been able to get anything else to show up in it's place.

brields
02-01-2012, 01:17 AM
Hopefully in a later update? :rolleyes:

I'd go explore my realflight documents right now but my laptop is running slow right now. So, I'm not going to do that. Right now.

Boof69
02-01-2012, 02:09 AM
I figured out how to add the hook and keep it up in both positions. I think I'll keep it. :)

dhk79
02-01-2012, 06:43 AM
and keep it up in both positions.
Out of context maybe, but that's a line I never expected to hear on this forum :rolleyes:

Boof69
02-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Bazinga!

dhk79
02-01-2012, 03:35 PM
LOL. Scott, that's what you get when you post at 2AM.

Boof69
02-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I know I should of seen it before I posted. 2 am is too late. :o

Maj. Numbskully
02-01-2012, 09:55 PM
Couldn't of been that hard to miss if it was up boof
:p

pplace
02-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Tail hook looks good. Same thing this builder just finished doing on his CARF F4U build. Tail Gear / Tail Hook video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cD-BlZrSo&feature=related)

Boof69
02-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Couldn't of been that hard to miss if it was up boof
:p
Haha... :)

Boof69
02-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Tail hook looks good. Same thing this builder just finished doing on his CARF F4U build. Tail Gear / Tail Hook video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cD-BlZrSo&feature=related)
That's it exactly. My tail hook moves just like that. It gets pulled inward as the gear swing through the movement. I tried to just use a moveable pod for this, but syncing up with the retract action is difficult as you probably know. So I named the hook "~CS_SG_TH" this forces RF to treat it as landing gear. Then set it's NUP_MaxRotation properly and Bob's your uncle...It's in perfect sync. :)

Boof69
02-08-2012, 12:07 AM
So many things keep piling up at my feet lately and I just can't seem to clear much time for the Corsair. I squeaked out some time tonight to get a start on the interior and that interior consists of creating from scratch gauges. One shot is in photoshop obviously and the other is how it's going so far in the sim. Not allot of flash yet. At least not until I add spec and bump to improve the look. Rest assured the Corsair is moving albeit slowly ahead.

brields
02-08-2012, 12:16 AM
I just have one request.
Please make the instruments indicate that the plane is flying straight and level.
Its amazing how many air craft in realflight have instruments indicating that the
plane is in a turn, when it's actually sitting on the runway.

Boof69
02-08-2012, 12:37 AM
Well It just so happens that that's the way I'm representing these gauges, but why would you think it's a bad thing that the gauges read orientations other than flat and on the runway? All that can be done with these gauges is to emulate a snapshot in time during a flight in which sometimes may look a bit more interesting indicating a turn or a climb or whatever.... When it comes to things like this artistic representation wins out in my book. How about you make me some gauges to use on my model. Sound good? When you do make them the way you want. Thanks for the input.

These are the RL gauges i'm drawing from.

brields
02-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Please disregard my previous post.

Maj. Numbskully
02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
breilds this isn't MSFS we really dont need working gauges
I have done IP's on occasion where I have moved the needles so they are not all at zero .... or redone digital ones to read something ...even then it was not every gauge
boofs on the right track

brields
02-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I know we don't need gauges.
Please refer to post #147

12oclockhigh
02-08-2012, 08:00 PM
If you are going to have a cockpit camera capability, then you need working gauges.

I think you need some steam gauges and some glass panel options.

Boof69
02-08-2012, 08:14 PM
That's more of a request to KE than anything useful for current models as no flight telemetry is writable to make gauges work realistically. For now I'm content with the static gauges. :)

uncle twist
02-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Lets not forget, that this is a RADIO CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR. where are your working gauges on your real world R/C planes ?? If you want working gauges, try Microsoft flight sim., Keep up the great work Boof

12oclockhigh
02-09-2012, 07:20 AM
Let's keep in mind what the word simulator means. Simulate the actual thing... now that some RC jet pilots are putting glass cockpits into their jets, let's have an open mind about things.

RF did not start out as a combat shoot-em up game... Why not add the feature when possible instead of poo pooing every thing you don't want. I already have MSFSX, X-Plane10, and ROF. I have working gauges in all of those.

When I am flying the P-51 combat aircraft from the seat and the whole panel in front of me is absolutely dead, that is not a simulation. A nice heads up display would be cool too... get out of the 18th century. The computing power is available and it could push the product into additional markets.

abaser
02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Let's keep in mind what the word simulator means. Simulate the actual thing... .
Where on the box does it say real plane? I did find where it says R/Csimulator. Seems it is simulating what is real to me. ;)

Maj. Numbskully
02-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Just one of the problems with working gauges in RF is telemetry
It takes long enough to put out a model as it is
How many more hours would modelers have to spend just on gauges?.....
From what I hear circles are poly hogs
Where would all of those polys come from ? ...and we aren't even talking about the extra things that would have to be added somewhere on the CS

12oclockhigh
02-09-2012, 09:36 AM
I cannot help it if you are absolutely wrong.

The way I see this implemented is to select a gauge from a list of choices (alt, compass, heading, HSI, glass panel) in the physics editor and provided by KE and they would be blank when placed on your panel. They would then come alive when a camera is on the panel during flight.

Where on the box does it say real plane? I did find where it says R/Csimulator. Seems it is simulating what is real to me. ;)

abaser
02-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Wow. Ok then, show me a real R/C plane with working gauges. If you want the feel of a full scale, stick with your other sims.

Sorry boof, I'll post no more here on this.

12oclockhigh
02-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I saw something recently on RCUniverse or the AMA magazine that showed how someone was putting a stamp sized display into the instrument panel of a jet. I thought it was crazy, but why not? I think that i am asking for a lot less here in the simulator. If you don't want to use the feature, then don't.

Would it be so bad to be able to use the instruments while flying? It is like pulling teeth to get some people to consider allowing change, the others you need to drag kicking and screaming. Too bad if you have to learn something new. DOS sure was great!

Boof69
02-09-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm of the same opinion that the more they add to the sim the better, but I'm under no delusions that KE would even consider adding such capabilities to the sim. I would be super happy if they allowed for user created sounds most of all.
Your idea of selecting from existing gauges wouldn't cut it though. Gauges would still need to be skinnable to suit the style of the aircraft and the era it's from.
I think adding functionality while keeping all the core features intact would be a great idea. Those who wish to use the bells and whistles could and those purists in our midst wouldn't have to, but then my alarm would go off and I'd wake up. It's never going to happen. I prefer to try to be happy with what we've got and be happily surprised when new features come along.
It doesn't hurt to dream though 12oclockhigh. :)

Hab
02-09-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm of the same opinion that the more they add to the sim the better, but I'm under no delusions that KE would even consider adding such capabilities to the sim. I would be super happy if they allowed for user created sounds most of all.
Your idea of selecting from existing gauges wouldn't cut it though. Gauges would still need to be skinnable to suit the style of the aircraft and the era it's from.
I think adding functionality while keeping all the core features intact would be a great idea. Those who wish to use the bells and whistles could and those purists in our midst wouldn't have to, but then my alarm would go off and I'd wake up. It's never going to happen. I prefer to try to be happy with what we've got and be happily surprised when new features come along.
It doesn't hurt to dream though 12oclockhigh. :)

Yes Boof..... sounds would be a good feature. A YS 4stroke sound in particular.

abaser
02-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Call me a purist if you like, but I think you are missing my point. 12 o'clock stated a sim should simulate the real deal. RF is marketed as an R/C flight sim, and to me it does that well. Now I am not familiar with any other sim, so I can't speak for what they offer, but I would not buy a full scale sim and expect it to allow for addition of servos. I was simply saying, if you want a full scale effect, go with a full scale sim. Just my opinion, and no need for labels here.

Boof69
02-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I wasn't labeling anyone. Being a purist isn't a bad thing. I just meant some people like things to be as close to the real thing as possible. Others don't mind a few liberties being taken as long as the original functionality is left intact. Others would like to turn everything into a game. Where each individual falls along those lines doesn't matter to me in the least.
I've just never understood the argument that things should be left alone just as they are now. Progress is a good thing in my opinion. If there was a full scale side to RF it wouldn't bother me at all. I wouldn't use it that much. If others would enjoy it then why not? After all it is just a piece of software and none of us own it. If KE decided to put in working gauges would you stop using RF? All seems a little silly to me but.......... :rolleyes:

wtaylor3
02-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Just got my realflight 6 with airplane mega pack in the mail today (gotta keep my flying sharp while im deployed) and gotta say i was alittle disappointed to not see a corsair unless I overlooked it somewhere and would also like to say your corsair looks to be amazing

Boof69
02-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Congrats on RF6, and good luck on your deployment.
Knife Edge has made one corsair, but it was way back in add ons one :see picture.
The add-ons are still available for free found HERE (http://www.realflight.com/addons.html) but they are not optimized for RF 6 so don't expect much.
Here is a list of user created Corsairs:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=9873 (Anders Lejczak/ converted by minou)
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=3999 (dhk79)
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=3989 (dhk79)
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=10756 (theGibson)
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=7454 (brentg)
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=3607 (Blade Scraper)
Maybe one of these will wet your whistle. Enjoy!

wtaylor3
02-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Thanks boof it's greatly appreciated.

brields
02-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Wow. Ok then, show me a real R/C plane with working gauges. If you want the feel of a full scale, stick with your other sims.

Sorry boof, I'll post no more here on this.

I plan on creating a few gauges for my planes once I get into Large scale R/C flight.
I know how it can be done. Not an altimeter or airspeed indicator,
but a pitch indicator and a roll and bank indicator.

Anyway, sorry for causing an argument.

Boof69
02-10-2012, 06:56 PM
You didn't cause any argument. Don't worry about those discussions. I'm sure no-one is upset about anything said.
We are all aware how to make orientation gauges work. My spacewalker has a working ball level on the IP. I just don't want some gauges working and others not on the Corsair.

brields
02-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Yeah, it's a bit too good for that. Double or nothing.

mwilson914
02-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I created pitch and roll indicators on my HUD in the SAAB Gripen.. It has an animated navigational map too in the thrust vectoring version. I could have made that map look better, but decided to just move on instead.

brields
02-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm planning on putting a gun sight on a P-51 mustang CS for the combat version.
I plan on doing the same for the new corsair.

Boof69
02-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Great...

brields
02-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Don't worry. I'll create the AV with the guns. Less you'll have to do to get it uploaded.

Boof69
02-10-2012, 10:29 PM
There are 6 guns aboard and working.

brields
02-10-2012, 10:30 PM
O.K. I guess it's the thought that counts.

Boof69
02-10-2012, 10:32 PM
uh huh.

Boof69
02-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Just a fw progress shots. The IP is coming along nicely. I put brows over the gauges in both the bump and color TGAs. I still have 5 freaking gauges to go. Each one takes around 35 minutes to do. It's some tedious crap, but I dig the results.

Boof69
02-12-2012, 01:16 AM
OK! Gauges for the IP are done! The side consoles are in line next. I hope I can Keep up the pace and finish this one this week.

Norton
02-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Great shot with the wings up!:D

Boof69
02-12-2012, 01:26 AM
I like that one too.

brields
02-13-2012, 09:39 PM
There is a problem with your C.S. map Boof.
The problem: The background is the same color as the Corsair's external body parts.
Why this is a problem: It makes creating a new C.S. quite a bit tougher.

abaser
02-13-2012, 09:54 PM
More of just an inconvenience for you CSers. Modelers do this to prevent background bleedthrough onto their model.

brields
02-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Ah. I see. HMmmmmmm..... where's the "thinking" smily?

willsonman
02-13-2012, 09:57 PM
es, but it helps to blend seams better when the aircraft is at a distance. Has to do with the way RF scales the rendered CS when its is far away. It compresses it and decompresses on the fly. I'm sure if you respectfully ask for a map that includes outlines only you might just get it... Valentine's present maybe? j/k

brields
02-13-2012, 10:26 PM
BTW, If your interested Boof, I figured out how to make the tail wheel lock.
(although, I have a feeling I'm not the first. If I am, I can't find the thread for creating AVs.)

Boof69
02-13-2012, 10:42 PM
You will find that even though the background is a similar color it is different enough to make out the parts. Like I mentioned before I offer all my raw psd files in zip form at my website. That background color is a layer that can be made invisible.
Your biggest worry should be in keeping panel lines and dirt layers intact. Just another good thing about downloading the psd files once I'm done.

What do you mean by making the wheel lock? :confused:

Mikeymike21
02-13-2012, 10:50 PM
tga file looks fine, all of the edges are defined so its very easy to find the outline of the parts.

brields
02-14-2012, 12:56 AM
You will find that even though the background is a similar color it is different enough to make out the parts. Like I mentioned before I offer all my raw psd files in zip form at my website. That background color is a layer that can be made invisible.
Your biggest worry should be in keeping panel lines and dirt layers intact. Just another good thing about downloading the psd files once I'm done.

What do you mean by making the wheel lock? :confused:

A wheel lock prevents the tail wheel from picoting with the rudder in flight.

Mikeymike21
02-14-2012, 12:59 AM
BTW, If your interested Boof, I figured out how to make the tail wheel lock.
(although, I have a feeling I'm not the first. If I am, I can't find the thread for creating AVs.)

RF does this automaticly, look at the P-51D

Boof69
02-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Yup mikeys right it's automatic. :cool:

Norton
02-14-2012, 01:48 AM
A wheel lock prevents the tail wheel from picoting with the rudder in flight.

Did you start taking a sewing class?

Definition: (Picoting)

A number of small, threadlike loops forming an ornamental edging on lace, ribbon, etc.

brields
02-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Pivoting, not picoting. And
Negative on the automatic locking tail wheel.
Iv had a few planes that didn't do this.

Boof69
02-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Well this plane does it just fine and I didn't have to set anything up to get it that way.

brields
02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Cool. must be something about G3.5-G4.5 planes. Hmmmm...

brields
02-17-2012, 06:43 PM
Found another CS for this plane.

Boof, this is your plane. Do you uprove of this CS?

Boof69
02-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Sure. Who are you going to ask to do it?;) I have no problem with anyone making files for my EAs. Knock yourself out.

uncle twist
02-17-2012, 11:09 PM

Looks like the afterbirth is going to be kinda hard to do:D

Boof69
02-17-2012, 11:28 PM
:D:D haha :D:D

brields
02-18-2012, 12:08 AM
Looks like the afterbirth is going to be kinda hard to do:D

What?

Mikeymike21
02-18-2012, 12:37 AM

Sure. Who are you going to ask to do it?;) I have no problem with anyone making files for my EAs. Knock yourself out.

Boof can you add a cowl to it and make it visible by selecting engine component to show in the editor?

Boof69
02-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Sorry that won't be a possibility because I've reached the poly limit. Even if I did the canopy would be incorrect as would many other details.

Mikeymike21
02-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Ok no worries, just thought i'd ask ;0

brields
02-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Sorry that won't be a possibility because I've reached the poly limit. Even if I did the canopy would be incorrect as would many other details.

Maybe we shouldn't have talked you into including the tail hook after all.
As for the canopy, who's gonna notice?

Boof69
02-18-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm sorry you can't be satisfied by the F4U 1 brields. That is the model I prefer and this is a self request so I don't think I'll be mudding up the swaps with fantasy Corsairs.
You could always learn blender and make your own models. Maybe Abaser could help you. @Abaser tag your it!:p

abaser
02-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Geez........I was wondering how I got under this bus:p

Boof69
02-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Sorry :o

I started on the right console. The whole thing is done in the CS only. I had no polys for these parts. I know I know I'm taking forever.

Norton
02-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Maybe we shouldn't have talked you into including the tail hook after all.
As for the canopy, who's gonna notice?

How about you don't try to tell a modeler how to build his own request?

If you would ever look back in a thread you might have noticed this.

This is his own choice and he is building it his way.

Worry about a CS when he is done.

abaser
02-18-2012, 11:32 PM
No worries. I'd be happy to help. Afterall, I wouldn't be where I'm at if it weren't for you guy's helping me. Call it payback.

Boof69
02-18-2012, 11:36 PM
I have no doubts you would help him out Andy. If he knew about the head aches involved he'd think his thoughts through before he posted. Learning to model would be an eye opener. :)

abaser
02-19-2012, 12:00 AM
Bad thing is, I know the headaches, but I still do it.:p but you won't see me telling anyone how to do a model either.

Boof69
02-19-2012, 12:12 AM
As a modeler posting as your figuring things out is absolutely fine. Posting every random thought is completely different. You have never done the later.

Boof69
02-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Just an update post. Not allot of new stuff done, but.....

Hab
02-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Just an update post. Not allot of new stuff done, but.....

Looks good ! Like the non-skid on the wing too... nice touch

Mikeymike21
02-20-2012, 10:48 PM
Found a cs i want to make for it. UK Corsair
http://www.military-aircraft.org.uk/ww2-fighter-planes/chance-vought-f4u-corsair.jpg
http://www.airshows.org.uk/2005/airshows/woodchurch/photographs/corsair_1.jpg

twoeleven
02-21-2012, 11:33 PM
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44265&d=1329789814

That looks fantastic. NICE art.

Boof69
02-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Man where you been hidin'? Glad you approve.
Here are some progress shots for tonight. I'm on a roll I think. I seem to be getting allot done. Found out the cockpit is black in this early version and I'm playing around with a different look on the metal side panels. It's a definite that I will be mapping the rudder pedals and the will have an embossed Chance Vought logo. The Landing gear lever is my only cheat. The camera angle was perfect so I did a cut and paste.

andy29847
02-22-2012, 06:16 AM
Boof69, the model looks more real than the one in MikeyMike21's picture. :)

The only difference I see is that yours does not have aileron trim tabs.

Can we have a pilot? Can the model be worked so the pilot is in the cockpit (or not) via a setting in the RealFlight airplane editor?

Boof69
02-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Sorry Andy there are no polys left for any additions. I spent allot of resources in the landing gear and wing fold areas not to mention the control surfaces. I will get to the ail trim tabs. I just need to add them in the bump map. The aileron balance tabs are there and animated.

U-Bird
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Now, THAT's a CORSAIR !!!!! A fine looking example of artistic craftsmanship for sure !!!

twoeleven
02-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Man where you been hidin'?

I've been at the real RC field. I had to unplug for a bit, flying a Carbon Z Yak 54 and a Carl Goldberg 80.75" Decathlon...Always lurking though :cool:

brields
02-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Look'n good!

U-Bird
02-24-2012, 01:27 PM
I've been at the real RC field. I had to unplug for a bit, flying a Carbon Z Yak 54 and a Carl Goldberg 80.75" Decathlon...Always lurking though :cool:

Nice to see you again on the forum. what do you think, a really NICE ZERO or maybe a Ki 43 or a KI 44,or maybe a Ki61, or maybe a REALLY NICE Ki 84 or maybe even a KI 100, to tangle with Boof's Corsair..........?
SWEET!!!

brields
02-24-2012, 05:35 PM
Of all those, a Zero is what we really need. All the Zeros on the
swaps are either based on models that don't look real at all,
are built so half fast that the wings are miss-formed and have
no cockpit, or fly like, well, I won't even mention that.

dhk79
02-24-2012, 06:29 PM
Of all those, a Zero is what we really need. All the Zeros on the
swaps are either based on models that don't look real at all,
are built so half fast that the wings are miss-formed and have
no cockpit, or fly like, well, I won't even mention that.Check out mine. It's one of my earlier models, so doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles and just looks like an RC bird. The physics, however, are realistic. BTW it's listed on the swaps under its manufacture and aircraft designation (i.e. not as a Zero).

brields
02-24-2012, 06:33 PM
I remember one of the modelers was planing to have a new one done by Christmas of 2011. but I never saw it hit the swaps.
I saw a picture of it, but that's all.

dhk79
02-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Not mine, it was posted 12/2006 (I said it was an old one).

brields
02-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Check out mine. It's one of my earlier models, so doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles and just looks like an RC bird. The physics, however, are realistic. BTW it's listed on the swaps under its manufacture and aircraft designation (i.e. not as a Zero).

In all honesty, your Zero could be painted like an AT-6 Texan, and actually
look better.

dhk79
02-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Good, sounds like you've got a job. I'll dig through my old records and find the template for you. Update the Zero's CS or do a AT-6 version as you wish.

EDIT: Here you go, have fun. Let me know what version of RF you're using and I'll even update the 3D model for you (and clean up some of the novice mistakes).

uncle twist
02-25-2012, 12:18 AM
In all honesty, your Zero could be painted like an AT-6 Texan, and actually
look better.
The ball is in your court Brields,. Lets see that CS

brields
02-26-2012, 06:33 PM
Good, sounds like you've got a job. I'll dig through my old records and find the template for you. Update the Zero's CS or do a AT-6 version as you wish.

EDIT: Here you go, have fun. Let me know what version of RF you're using and I'll even update the 3D model for you (and clean up some of the novice mistakes).

Didn't you try to make that Zero as close to real model as possible?
If so, It wasn't your mistake. It was the real world airplane.
However, I'm up for the challenge. I'll make that C.S, with as much detail as I can.

dhk79
02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
It was modeled after an RC Zero, rather than blue-prints or drawings of the real aircraft. I do think that I've gotten a lot more experienced and would have made a better 3D model in any case.

But if you do want to do the CS, let me at least remap it for you and create an export for a more modern version of RF. Which would you prefer?

Boof69
02-28-2012, 08:48 PM
I think tonight will be the night I finally finish the F4U1. It has been the longest time I've ever spent on a model, but in my defense I had allot of life fall in my lap during the last 2 months and it has been difficult to find the kind of time that modeling physics and color scheming demands. I'm wrapping up the last few loose ends and wallpapers were on the to do list so I'm posting them now.

Wacky
02-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Boof....That thing is AWESOME!!!!
Great JOB!!

Boof69
02-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Thanks Wacko :p Wacky :D

Boof69
02-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Posted!!

Madratter
02-29-2012, 02:34 PM
I think tonight will be the night I finally finish the F4U1. It has been the longest time I've ever spent on a model, but in my defense I had allot of life fall in my lap during the last 2 months and it has been difficult to find the kind of time that modeling physics and color scheming demands. I'm wrapping up the last few loose ends and wallpapers were on the to do list so I'm posting them now.

That is one sweet looking bird. I can't wait to download it and try it out.

brields
02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
it was modeled after an rc zero, rather than blue-prints or drawings of the real aircraft. I do think that i've gotten a lot more experienced and would have made a better 3d model in any case.

But if you do want to do the cs, let me at least remap it for you and create an export for a more modern version of rf. Which would you prefer?

rf6.

12oclockhigh
02-29-2012, 06:34 PM
I saw two Corsairs hanging from the roof at the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Va. this afternoon. A very big part of the history of the Marines... my dad was a Marine in Korea so it was a great afternoon. I picked up some swag for him. I have really enjoyed flying this corsair... expect a lot more fun with it.

Madratter
02-29-2012, 11:55 PM
I got the chance to fly it tonight. What a gorgeous plane.

If you want to try something that was definitely not authorized, try flying it with the wings folded. It is just barely doable!

Boof69
03-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm really proud of this plane and its nice to hear you guys are enjoying it too. I'm very relieved to finally have it done. Thanks nooner and madratter.

brields
03-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Proud should be an understatement. The Corsair is incredible, and no better justice
can be served to it.

Boof69
03-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I thank you.

earlysutton
03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
nice pics.

Kmot
11-01-2012, 07:20 PM
I just added the ASP FS400AR radial engine sound to your Corsair. Man, it's really nice. Give it a try. ;)

Maj. Numbskully
11-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Been there done that .......;):D

Boof69
11-01-2012, 09:21 PM
I just added the ASP FS400AR radial engine sound to your Corsair. Man, it's really nice. Give it a try. ;)

How. Where is it?

jeffpn
11-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Kmot's last AV has it. So does our Rocket.

Boof69
11-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Oh I see now download your models AV then use that sound file for the Corsair. Got it.http://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/thumbup.gif

aghost
03-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Just upgraded from 3.5 to 6.5. Loaded the Vought Corsair and the ASP five cylinder radial sound. Great looking, great flying, and great sounding model!

Thanks Boof69 and Kmot