PDA

View Full Version : "Designing Aiports in 3D (Not Photo Realistic)"

Fun2av8RC
12-28-2011, 08:17 AM
The intent of this thread is to discuss tips and techniques on creating 3D flying fields in Real Flight 6. I am interested in the 3D fields because you can use the CAM views (Nose, Chase, Cockpit,etc). These views are not available in PhotoFields. Don't know why - they just aren't for now.

If you are interested in how to do Photo Realistic flying fields - please visit the sister thread "Designing Airports - Tips and Tricks" hosted by 12oclockhigh. Those guys are well on their way and will provide you some really great ideas, identify equipment, and work with you to develop your new photo flying field.

This thread deals with the 3D flying fields. These are the flying fields found when you choose Environment > Select Airport in RF6:

- Archipelago (3 flying fields)
- Flatlands (1 Flying Field)
- PhotoFields (10 Flying Fields)
- Sierra Nevada (23 Flying Fields)

Then in each of the Add-On Volumes and the Expansion Packs you will find various PhotoFields and Sierra Nevada (3D) flying fields.

The focus on this thread is to discuss the tips and techniques used to create new 3D fields and modify existing fields with your own custom touches.

One of my favorites right now is the Painted Canyon in RF Add-On Volume 4. I have put runways on the sides of hills, tops of mountains etc. Then the challenge is to land and takeoff the SuperCub with Tundra tires on these. It really sharpens your skills.

Last night I was trying to do a splash and dash on Alpine lake with the SuperCub. Can't quite get the technique right - so the Cub crashes and sinks to the bottom of the lake. What is so amazing is that if you are in Chase Plane view - you actually can watch the airplane and wings slowly sink to the abyss below.

How do they do that ????? Maybe someone will share that with us at some point down the line.

Now I am a total newbie and novice at this so I will be the one with the most questions. Please jump in and share your quetions as well as tips and techniques.

Anyway, Welcome Aboard!

Fun2av8RC
12-28-2011, 08:24 AM
Here is the list of stuff I have found. I wish I knew how to make a sticky out of this post - as I would like to keep updating this as more stuff is found.

Manuals and Resources for RF 6: http://www.knifeedge.com/links.php

Fun2av8RC
12-28-2011, 08:30 AM
I have a new field partially built but need to learn how to add a hill to a runway.

The other problem I figure out is why trees don't show up. In the Environment > Edit mode I have trees lining the road. When I choose File > Exit To Simulatorthe trees are not there. In the View>Scenery I have selected All.

How do I make it so if I run into a building or a fence that it causes damage to the airplane or heli?

What settings/specifications makes Painted Canyon a sorta island in the sky (you can literaly fly out of the simulation into nothingness) and Flight School endless - you can literally fly any direction for hours and RF will keep generating scenary?

If I knew how - I would gladly upload Skyview Airpark so you could see what I've done and where I want to go with this

Fun2av8RC
12-28-2011, 08:32 AM
In the sister thread Designing Airports - Tips and Tricks, 12oclockhigh wrote in post # 2 about some of the pieces one uses in building airports.

Why build folders?

Primitives (Cube, Cylinder, etc.)
- What are primitives?
- How are they used?

Buffers
- What are Buffers?

Where can I find out what other components can be used to build a 3D airport?

Fun2av8RC
12-28-2011, 08:34 AM
What is the magic switch that allows you to draw something to actual dimensions? When I insert a runway and set the length - RF automatically sets the width.

Example: http://www.airnav.com/airport/7W4

The Bumpass Airport (7W4) runway at Lake Anna in VA is 2,558' long by 50' wide. Put 2,558' into the runway length parameter and RF makes the width 366' - wide enough to land the space shuttle.

How do I make RF accept manual input of width and length?

12oclockhigh
12-28-2011, 09:29 AM
There is no magic switch... you have to use multiples and choose the one measurement you want to hold... one or the other and it is sized. So choose your runway width and put multiple pieces end to end.

This is the same gripe/problem/expectation I have of the primitives... it would be nice if the primitives were directly sizeable. So you have to work around the limitation. It is more understandable with the graphical pieces as the graphics would be distorted.

What is the magic switch that allows you to draw something to actual dimensions? When I insert a runway and set the length - RF automatically sets the width.

Example: http://www.airnav.com/airport/7W4

The Bumpass Airport (7W4) runway at Lake Anna in VA is 2,558' long by 50' wide. Put 2,558' into the runway length parameter and RF makes the width 366' - wide enough to land the space shuttle.

How do I make RF accept manual input of width and length?

Fun2av8RC
12-28-2011, 11:50 AM
There is no magic switch... you have to use multiples and choose the one measurement you want to hold... one or the other and it is sized. So choose your runway width and put multiple pieces end to end..
So there is a magic approach ..... not a single runway - but a number of segments patched together to get the size you are looking for. Brilliant! Thanks for the tip

This is the same gripe/problem/expectation I have of the primitives... it would be nice if the primitives were directly sizeable. So you have to work around the limitation. It is more understandable with the graphical pieces as the graphics would be distorted.
OK, Severe case of the DS here - what is a primitive? What do they do? How do you use them?

Thanks for stopping by :)

td9cowboy
12-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Keep in mind that this is a RC sim. Our planes don't weight tons. Try a runway around six hundred feet with your largest fastest bird to get a feel for what you might need. Adjust accordingly.

Maj. Numbskully
12-28-2011, 01:02 PM
Why build folders?

You can put all of the AP objects or just some of them in a folder and move them to another area of the same map or a different AP altogether and keep all of the objects in the same relative position (hopefully) see screeny
Primitives (Cube, Cylinder, etc.)
- What are primitives?
- How are they used?

Buffers
- What are Buffers?
A Depth Buffer is a primitive
see post #2
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?p=218256#post218256

Where can I find out what other components can be used to build a 3D airport?

You can get custom objects here or request them in this threads sister thread http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?p=171409#post171409
you can also search the APs at the Swap page that may contain other custom objects (they are listed)
Once you DL and import the AP
those objects will be in the AP editors Object pallet under custom Objects for use in any AP
Note:
Some objects are only available if you own /have installed the Expansion Pack that they came from or if you have all 5 free Add-ons installed

opjose
12-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Another important use for "Folders" in the editor, is that they permit you to import or export an entire airport hiearchy, or move an existing one to a new location INTACT.

You can also skillfully "rip off" other airport's.

e.g. I started the fenced off garden area in "Magnanimous John's" airport by using the walkway of the Castle AP. I exported this area as a single "folder" and imported and placed it to my own work. Then I added all of the fencing, trimming, etc.

Fun2av8RC
01-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Maj. Numbskully - I extracted the following from Your Post #2

You can not make hills or valleys in RF (I/we wish)
.all you can do is search around a field that is based in the "Sierra Nevada " map for something that might suit your needs ...its several hundred square miles of varying terrain so you may find something

OK, so I will stop trying to figure out how to do a hill since it can't be done. Thanks. Just curious - do you know where in the world the RF base map is from or is just a fictious geographical generation?

You CAN raise the water level to create Lakes and Islands but be forewarned this is a global setting and effects the WHOLE map...think of it as increasing or decreasing the worlds Sea level So if you have a Spawn point some where else in the map below the new water level.......it'll now be under water ! :eek:..mmmm Simulated Global Warming :p[/QUOTE]

So building a lake next to your new runway can't be done. OK, see the attached file. There is a dark green patch that looks like it should be a lake. Can I make this a lake with water that has depth and visibility?

In the properties for the base map, there are parameters that enable water, render water, Water Surface Altitude, and water visibility. How can I change the values for the green patch to make it a lake? I'don't want to just color it blue - I want to be able to land float planes on it, sail boats on it, etc.

jeffpn
01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
If that green patch isn't a hole, you can't put water in it.

Fun2av8RC
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Apparently the green patch has depth to it. See attached. I found that by adjusting the Water Surface Altitude to 3300.00' - I can put water in the hole.

Now, how do I control the shape of the water so it conforms to the shape of the green patch?

jeffpn
01-08-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't think that would be possible.

Fun2av8RC
01-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Seems RF is just very capable of figuring out what you want and doing it for you. Once I saved the changes and reloaded the environment - the water conformed to the shore lines and I got waves. Pretty nifty. Figured out a few other tricks. Will post the results later tonight.

jeffpn
01-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Cool!

opjose
01-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Seems RF is just very capable of figuring out what you want and doing it for you. Once I saved the changes and reloaded the environment - the water conformed to the shore lines and I got waves. Pretty nifty. Figured out a few other tricks. Will post the results later tonight.

If you did, it was by a fortuitous accident.

The green patch was likely a farm or purposely lowered REAL terrain, when the original terrain scan was done for the mesh ( in Spain ).

So by raising the water level to just the right height, you got the water to conform to the MESH not the photo image, but the latter corresponds to the original scanned mesh.

There are many areas where this happens if the mesh accuracy is correct.

Fun2av8RC
01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
In Post #11, Maj. Numbskully wrote that You CAN raise the water level to create Lakes and Islands but be forewarned this is a global setting and effects the WHOLE map...think of it as increasing or decreasing the worlds Sea level So if you have a Spawn point some where else in the map below the new water level.......it'll now be under water ! ..mmmm Simulated Global Warming.

In the case of the green patch, I just continued to increase the Water Surface Altitude until my lake at sufficient depth. However, as pointed out above, any terrain that was at or below the field elevation of the green patch became submerged. For my purposes, the setting gave me a lake with sufficient surrounding land to build a little airport with a hard surface runway. However, once airborne and flying around in simulated FPV mode (nose cam) I gotta pretty good idea of how Moses saw the word from the Arc. lots and lots of water.

I have since abandoned that site and am searching for a new location that better suites my needs.

I wish RF folks would fix this feature and give us a little more flexibility to create lakes were we want them and also the ability to create hills.

jeffpn
01-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Might I suggest Mount Ararat? :D

Maj. Numbskully
01-09-2012, 10:43 PM
A 3D Terrain Editor would be awesome

opjose
01-10-2012, 01:20 PM
I wish RF folks would fix this feature and give us a little more flexibility to create lakes were we want them and also the ability to create hills.

Ibid... along with included Terrain and 3D aircraft editors.... we can dream!

Maj. Numbskully
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Oh the wonderful things you can do with a little creativity and a terrain editor............... ;)
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=12211

phrank
01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
The great Nizz did an awesome christmas airport with his own custom work.
Matt did one with his own terrain texture.

Probably time to learn 3D modeling, you could make any terrain you dream of.

brields
01-10-2012, 11:06 PM
A 3D Terrain Editor would be awesome

Real...Really!? I'm sorry but this isn't Roller Coaster Tycoon. :p

jeffpn
01-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Brields.

(bunch of stuff censored here.)

There are plenty of good reasons why a 3D terrain editor would be a valuable tool.

Maj. Numbskully
01-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Real...Really!? I'm sorry but this isn't Roller Coaster Tycoon.Sure about that ?

Fun2av8RC
01-11-2012, 01:31 AM
OK, I admit it - I am confused.

Here is what I know so far:

The World within RF is a huge square. For a point of reference, I pivoted this world so as to orient the Ocean coastline as North. Interestingly, the water is not functional in the default state. And the world just ends on all four sides - Imagine if Columbus was using RF how much he would have freaked out had he seen this view of the world.

To the North are mountains which as you travel Southward slowly turns into flat lands. The West, South and East sides have cliffs with a good deal of land between the Cliffs and where the World drops off. The South West is desert.

I can take an existing flying site/airport and make a lot of scenery changes to it using the object library which contains all the objects from all the loaded environments. I save that as a new airport (Fun2av8 AirPark) and I can fly till me heart is content. I can also export it, upload it to the swap pages, and then when a few friends of mine download it, we can all fly at Fun2av8 AirPark in multiplayer.

I can also copy the entire Fun2av8 Airpark and drop it anywhere within the RF world and that becomes my new locale.

If I go into Create a New Airport, I get an object library that consists of a single pilot spawn. I can drop that anywhere in the RF world and build a new airport.

I am constrained to the limitations of the RF World. I have to find suitable terrain for the airport I am building - but I have to live with the existing terrain - I have very very little ability to change it.

What I Don't Know:

In RF Add-Ons Volume 4 is the Painted Canyon. This BTW is one of my favorite FPV sites (Nose Cam). This particular geographical location does not exist in the base map of the RF world that I can find.

In a general sense - how was the created? What tools were used? I think I read somewhere that you need to have a $5,000 CAD program to build scenery from scratch such as Painted Canyons, Maj. Numbskuylly's Moon Scape (Post #22), and others.

Is there a 3D Terrain Editor out there that can be used that does not cost big bucks?

Did someone already answer all these questions and more somewhere else in the KE forums?

Its late - I'm rambling - Good Night and Thanks!

opjose
01-11-2012, 01:06 PM
I am constrained to the limitations of the RF World. I have to find suitable terrain for the airport I am building - but I have to live with the existing terrain - I have very very little ability to change it.

Correct, the default RF scenery was built from GIS mapping data from a section of terrain in Spain.

You have NO ability to modify it.

What I Don't Know:

In RF Add-Ons Volume 4 is the Painted Canyon. This BTW is one of my favorite FPV sites (Nose Cam). This particular geographical location does not exist in the base map of the RF world that I can find.

Correct... this airport was provided on one of the add-ons for G3, but really originated for G2.

The Add-ons create an encrypted "virtual drive" with files and plugins for the simulator. These were not always updated for subsequent releases.

Frankly the Painted Canyon, and other airports from G2 look horrendous in G6, especially compared to the default terrain meshes... which is why I like the idea of a terrain editor or mesh importer.

In a general sense - how was the created? What tools were used?

Airport meshes are/were created via GIS data and KE's own tools. The G2 airports were reworked by KE to work in G3 for those upgrading...

I think I read somewhere that you need to have a $5,000 CAD program to build scenery from scratch such as Painted Canyons, Maj. Numbskuylly's Moon Scape (Post #22), and others.

No, you CAN use things like Blender ( Free ) to create such things.

Is there a 3D Terrain Editor out there that can be used that does not cost big bucks?

Blender is free, but it is a 3D modeling program not a "Terrain Editor" per-se.

As such it is a complex program to learn for a newbie.

A simple terrain editor ( think Sim-City ) would be nice.

Did someone already answer all these questions and more somewhere else in the KE forums?

Yes, scattered amoung various posts.

Maj. Numbskully
01-11-2012, 01:24 PM
To create that the moon scape I used a 3Dterrain editor from a "Game"
I then took screen shots , in exactly the same way you would take a pano image and then created a photo merge

I think the game that came with a 3d terrain editor cost me 20 bucks
Its terrain editor is a separate program with-in the game program
As you can see it all of this works fine to create a pano type field for RF

Fun2av8RC
01-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Frankly the Painted Canyon, and other airports from G2 look horrendous in G6, especially compared to the default terrain meshes... which is why I like the idea of a terrain editor or mesh importer....
Must be dumb luck on my part - but Painted Canyon and others like it are absouletly stunning on my machine - well at least to me they are stunning. If they are actually BAD - would really like to see one that is GOOD
Airport meshes are/were created via GIS data and KE's own tools. The G2 airports were reworked by KE to work in G3 for those upgrading...
I keep seeing the word MESHES. What are Meshes?

BTW, thank you for the detailed response. Really appreciated! :D

Fun2av8RC
01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
Is this the tool you are talking about?

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=521256

Maj. Numbskully
01-11-2012, 01:55 PM
no
MX vs. ATV has one built in
but the files it creates are not compatible nor convertible for use in RF
which is why you can only create a photo field with it ;)

Must be dumb luck on my part - but Painted Canyon and others like it are absouletly stunning on my machine - well at least to me they are stunning. If they are actually BAD - would really like to see one that is GOOD
Ignorance is bliss :p

opjose
01-11-2012, 07:06 PM

I keep seeing the word MESHES. What are Meshes?

BTW, thank you for the detailed response. Really appreciated! :D

The Painted Canyon is a rather low resolution mesh ( few triangles ) with low resolution overlaying "pictures" of the ground terrain. Even Google Earth's ground view does a much better job with a higher density of triangles.

Want to see a good terrain mesh in a computer program? Try Skyrim with all the settings cranked up.

The Realflight 3D lanscape mesh is not bad at all, but to encompass the rather large area covered by the mesh, the polygons or triangles used are fairly large.

That means if part of the terrain is virtually "close" to your viewpoint, it doesn't have the nuances to the terrain the real world does. ( BTW: It would be nice to take a LOD approach to the RF ground terrain, even if this is at the expense of area coverage... )

---

A terrain "mesh" is a collection or database of data "points". that correspond to what may be real world terrain.

Imagine taking longitude and lattitude and altitude measurements for every 1 meter square of the earth's surface or just a good sized area...

If you then were to virtually connect those data points, you get a hairnet type regular "mesh" with squares between the adjoining points.

That's a bit inefficient for mapping real world terrain, so polygons are used instead, so terrain meshes tend to use triangles...

See: Info about "Meshes" - Click here! (http://www.i3mainz.fh-mainz.de/publicat/zipf07/3D.dem.webist07.as.jb.az.pdf)

The pictures in that publication alone makes what is going on obvious.

Fun2av8RC
01-11-2012, 11:24 PM
[QUOTE=opjose]The Painted Canyon is a rather low resolution mesh ( few triangles ) with low resolution overlaying "pictures" of the ground terrain. Even Google Earth's ground view does a much better job with a higher density of triangles.

The Realflight 3D lanscape mesh is not bad at all, but to encompass the rather large area covered by the mesh, the polygons or triangles used are fairly large.

That means if part of the terrain is virtually "close" to your viewpoint, it doesn't have the nuances to the terrain the real world does. ( BTW: It would be nice to take a LOD approach to the RF ground terrain, even if this is at the expense of area coverage... )

A terrain "mesh" is a collection or database of data "points". that correspond to what may be real world terrain.

Imagine taking longitude and lattitude and altitude measurements for every 1 meter square of the earth's surface or just a good sized area...

If you then were to virtually connect those data points, you get a hairnet type regular "mesh" with squares between the adjoining points.

That's a bit inefficient for mapping real world terrain, so polygons are used instead, so terrain meshes tend to use triangles... [Quote\]

Thank for such a detailed response - I am absorbing - but it will take time.

Maj. Numbskully
01-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Where's jeffs Avatar when you need it ! ! ?
:p

Fun2av8RC
01-14-2012, 10:23 AM
I have laid out a string of buoys that outline a water runway. There are 30 or so on each side of the runway. I found that they need to be reduced from 50% to 25%.

Is there a global edit I can use or do I have to go back and adjust each buoy individually?

The other issue is that if a float plan bumps a buoy it moves out of place. How can I make them so don't change positions - bob back and forth is ok - but actually act like they have a mooring rope to the lake bottom?

td9cowboy
01-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Make the adjustment on one, then right click on the changed setting and select apply to all siblings I think.

Try changing reacts to physics to no and see if it will hold still. If it does repeat above.

Maj. Numbskully
01-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Or make the adjustment and then right click it and copy/paste, paste paste the objects

how ever on water its kinda of useless ..............
as the buoy's position above the ground (sea floor) follows the conture of the ground
you'll probably need to re-adjust each buoys Z position any how as some may be beneath the water and some floating over it

I noticed that with a group of jet skis I was editing once

Fun2av8RC
01-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Given the following objects (randomly chosen):

White Gravel
Sod Farm Runway
Air Race Runway
Dirt Path
Helipad F3c 1 or 2

Some will sit on top of the other. Others slip underneath.

- White Gravel will sit on top of Sod Farm Runway
- Helipad F3c 1 or 2 slips under Air Race Runway but sits on top of Sod Farm Runway

ZBoost says that objects are drawn in their order of ascending ZBoost vaule
Objects whose ZBoost = 0 is drawn before those with a ZBoost =1

I have tried different values - does not work. I think I am trying to use ZBoost as a stacking priority - it clearly is not.

Questions:

What is ZBoost really for?

How does one configure the Helipad properties so it will sit on top of the Air Race Runway?

Fun2av8RC
01-16-2012, 09:46 PM
This helipad has a flag stuck out about 20 yards from the upper left corner.

How can I edit the stock Helipad, remove the flag, and then save it as a personal custom object?

If I can't - does anyone know of a helipad just like this one that does not have the flag?

Many Thanks

Jim

brields
01-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Where's jeffs Avatar when you need it ! ! ?

On the swap pages. http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=15166

dhk79
01-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Zboost changes the order in which objects are rendered. Using it allows you to have certain objects rendered either first or last.

Pville211
01-17-2012, 07:20 AM
This helipad has a flag stuck out about 20 yards from the upper left corner.

How can I edit the stock Helipad, remove the flag, and then save it as a personal custom object?

A workaround is to hide the flag. The attached screenshot is of the Costa Volando AP (http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=15606). There are two helipads, with a total of 8 flags. The flags are hidden under:

- Stack of storage containers near passenger jetway
- Stack of wood crates under passenger jetway
- Inside each of the red and white radio towers
- In bushes in the the area near the helipads
- Under the school bus in the driveway

Fun2av8RC
01-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Yes it does work! :D

The trick was hitting SAVE forcing RF6 Editor to update - works like a charm!

Fun2av8RC
01-19-2012, 07:20 PM
OK, I know! It's REAL FLIGHT! Flight implies flying airplanes, helis, and of course the ever popular flying anvils and lawn mowers.

If you have not seen this - watch it - let your mind wander

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k22B5KHnAlg

I am going to try to figure out how do this in RF.

- One needs a trailer - Are their any trailer objects in anybody's library? Please share.
- One needs an airport tug to pull the trailer - Are their any airport tug objects in anybody's library? Please share.

RF opens with the driver in the seat of the tug. From the RC Spawn, one drives the tug towing the trailer with heli on board out of the hangar and out to the lift off pad. Switches Spawns and flies the heli off the trailer. Then when done with the flight - lands the heli back onto the trailer - switches spawns and drives the rig to the hangar taxi-ramp. Backs the trailer into the hangar.

Just toooo much fun!

Maj. Numbskully
01-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Not gonna happen
That would require 2 separate EAs loaded on the same machine at the same time
Thats not possible in RF except in multi-mode , but that would still require 2 separate EAs not an Ea and an AP object (not to mention another interlink or RW TX)
Or
2 separate Ea's with 2 people in MP is probably the only way you could get it to work

Even if the tug were a roller coaster object ........... you would not be able to land on it as RF does not allow that either

brields
01-20-2012, 04:08 PM
You make the tractor-trailer a roller coaster type scenery object, Like the moving
T-34's, or the CVN-74.

jeffpn
01-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Ok Brields. Do it.

brields
01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Jrffpn, lately, you have been ragging on me when ever I post an Idea or an explanation. Not every post I'v made, mind you! But please. stop.

jeffpn
01-20-2012, 05:59 PM
It's hard to take you seriously with the signature that you have.

Your suggestion here will not work. Your thoughts in other threads are just plain wrong, misinformation. May I suggest keeping your posts grounded in reality and fact? Do you really believe it's a good idea for someone to spend time working on a suggestion of yours that can not work? Who better to waste time on your ideas than you?

brields
01-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Maybe you should give a detailed explanation on why my idea won't work, instead of
saying I'm wrong. If you keep saying, "your wrong about this." "Your wrong about that." I can't know WHY I'm wrong. So, WHY am I wrong?

jeffpn
01-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Sorry, Brields. I don't operate like that. Just limit your posts to what you KNOW is true, and you'll be fine. You are responsible for the accuracy of your posts, not me or anyone else.

jeffpn
01-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Here's a tip for you, if you want to learn more about RF: pay attention to the forums, ask specific questions when you need to. I learned an awful lot about RF simply by reading the forums. I could even answer basic modeling questions before I learned how to model, only because I'd seen some questions asked time after time. It drove one modeler mad. He told me I didn't have the right to make posts in the Designer's Corner subforum because I was not a modeler. I felt that if somebody asked a simple question such as "What's the poly limit on a model?", I'm going to answer "20,000" whether I'm a modeler or not. I'd seen the topic come up many times before. You can learn the same way. Just keep your ear to the ground. You'll get there.

brields
01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
I was only using my self as an example. If you say somebody is wrong, support
your claim with details. If you support your usual "You'r wrong", maybe my self and
others will start taking YOU seriously.

Norton
01-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Really?

Time to get a clue :rolleyes:

jeffpn
01-20-2012, 07:16 PM
maybe my self and
others will start taking YOU seriously.
Cute.

I'm done hijacking this thread. I suggest you do the same.

brields
01-20-2012, 07:25 PM
Actually, I found a problem that fits this thread.

I just tried to load a scenery folder from G5.5 into an airport in RF6.
When I fly any plane in this airport, my frame rate is fine, up until the program recognizes
that my controller is calibrated.
Then, my frame rate falls like a rock, all the way down to 1 frame per second.

brields
01-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Are you doing an internet data transfer? What do bits per second have to do with your calibrated interlink? :confused:

Sounds more like a Tech Support question than how to design airports. :confused:

No, it wasn't an internet data transfer. I loaded a scenery folder that I created in G5.5.
It happened twice in a row.
I was wondering if another forum member could try to replicate this before I go bother tech suport.

No, it wasn't an internet data transfer.

Norton
01-20-2012, 08:04 PM
What does BPS have to do with it? :confused:

brields
01-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Frame rate. I changed my post.

Norton
01-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Watch that foot. it my be heading north again ;)

Maj. Numbskully
01-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Brields ....
Do you read threads before giving advice?
Just one post up .(the last post before you replied with the roller coaster object idea)
I explained that roller coaster objects do not let you you to land on them in RF
see post #12 concerning landing on roller coaster objects
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26766&highlight=roller+coaster+object

brields
01-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Ya know, now I know how Wile e coyote feels when he is tricked into running of a cliff,
and, in the cartoon, he turns into a donkey for 2 seconds.

I think I should change my signature back.

Norton
01-20-2012, 08:39 PM
No, I think you should listen to people in this thread.

Just put a little more thought in before posting and you will be fine ;)

Don't forget that the guy's your speaking to have been around forever.

Even we don't know all the answers but we try to post facts.

Cheers....................

Norton
01-20-2012, 08:54 PM
How about we all get back to Fun2av8RC original thread? :cool:

Fun2av8RC
01-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Not gonna happen
That would require 2 separate EAs loaded on the same machine at the same time
Thats not possible in RF except in multi-mode , but that would still require 2 separate EAs not an Ea and an AP object (not to mention another interlink or RW TX)
Or
2 separate Ea's with 2 people in MP is probably the only way you could get it to work

Even if the tug were a roller coaster object ........... you would not be able to land on it as RF does not allow that either

OK. But ya gotta admit - it was a cool idea.

OK, Just so this newbie has got it straight. An EA is a controllable object (Plane, Heli, Car, anvil). Only one controllable EA per Interlink in an Aiport/Flying Field (AP). Multiplayer allows many EAs to play in a single AP - but only one EA per user/Interlink. (There were earlier posts - confirm that RF Will or Will NOT allow more than one interlink connected to the same computer enabling two or more pilots to fly EAs in a single AP)

OK - Different tack - Exploring what a Roller Coaster object is and is not.

The aircraft carrier object in ACBASE.EA (http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=11886) is saved to a folder and that folder is imported into a new AP and the aircraft Carrier object is placed inside the AP. Now, with the appropriately placed pilot and aircraft spawn on the aircraft carrier deck - I can launch from and land back on to the deck.

Would making the aircraft carrier a roller coaster object and actually enable it to be "underway"?

If No > Quit

If Yes > Then Getting back to your comment - if it is underway - can we still land on it?

If No > Goto RollerCoasters

If Yes > Then Can the aircraft carrier be set to travel a specific route with turns, etc. that eventually returns to the starting point?

If No > Goto RollerCoasters

If Yes > Then How?

{RollerCoaster}
Where does one learn about configuring roller coaster objects?

{Quit} Thank You.

(BTW - did I get the logic right? :D )

Maj. Numbskully
01-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Cool idea ...definitely !..
just can't be implemented as envisioned

Fun2av8RC
01-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Cool idea ...definitely !..
just can't be implemented as envisioned

so no hope for the aircraft carrier being underway?

Norton
01-20-2012, 09:36 PM
There is a carrier on the swaps isn't there?

brields
01-20-2012, 09:36 PM
If there was an option to "anchor" a spawn point to an object, then It would work.

brields
01-20-2012, 09:37 PM

There's even a moving aircraft carrier.

Fun2av8RC
01-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Yes - some really good ones - but they are static. I was hoping for one that was actually underway. I could be wrong - but I think MS FltSim does have one that is making about 12 kts.

brields
01-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Yes - some really good ones - but they are static. I was hoping for one that was actually underway. I could be wrong - but I think MS FltSim does have one that is making about 12 kts.

http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=15708

Here's your link.

Fun2av8RC
01-20-2012, 09:42 PM
What purpose does the GNOME serve?

jeffpn
01-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Knife Edge is infatuted with gnomes. :D

brields
01-20-2012, 09:47 PM
I think the Gnome is just an Easter Egg. Many computer games and simulators have them.

The Gnome is for grabbing with your grappling hook after swooping down upon it with your Sopwith Camel. :D

Maj. Numbskully
01-20-2012, 09:50 PM
To scare away birds and sell vacations :p

Fun2av8RC
01-20-2012, 10:23 PM
There's even a moving aircraft carrier.

Which one is moving?

Fun2av8RC
01-20-2012, 10:25 PM
How do Helpers work with respect to the pilot spawn position?

brields
01-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Which one is moving?

Import the AP. I provided the link.

Fun2av8RC
01-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Import the AP. I provided the link.

sorry - please resend the link or give me the name of the AP.

brields
01-20-2012, 11:31 PM
Click on the link in Post #73.

Fun2av8RC
01-23-2012, 12:29 AM
http://knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=15708

Here's your link.

Downloaded and installed CVN_74.ap. Loaded with errors. Carrier deck is white - lacks detail.

Downloaded and installed the suggested link. I get D3DXERR_InvalidData File .\DXTexture.cpp when loading the Full Scale Corsair.

Then when I load the suggested link. I the errors in the attached picture.

Suggestions on how to fix the errors?

Thanks,
Jim

Maj. Numbskully
01-23-2012, 12:36 AM
The first 7- or 8 errors mean that you do not have the expansion packs that those objects come from ....the only way to fix those is to buy the appropriate Ex. Packs

the only consequence is you wont see those objects in the field
EDIT:
I just imported that AP and RF crashed the first time I tried to load it
gonna restore defaults and try again

Edit Edit :
Ihis time I got a invalid texture .........yada yada" error

:confused: :confused:

Fun2av8RC
01-23-2012, 01:53 AM
First - This is a long post. For those of you who have been around forever, this info is probably second nature and intuitive.

For this newbie and others following in my footsteps who are learning to build effective airports - it is key that we understand how this stuff works.

I did research the RF6 manual - not much there.

To the person who chooses to responds to this - THANK YOU!

Please provide embedded detailed answers and color code your responses blue.

No doubt some of your answers will generate more questions. Again, thank you for helping. For Others who wish to contribute - please use the QUOTE button within the latest post dealing with these questions.

Please do not use the NEW REPLY button. If you do - then I will have to go back and copy your inputs and put them into the latest quote so everything will be together.

This way, we will eventually end up with a very valuable totally self-contained set of notes and instructions on Spawn Objects.

For this discussion - I am using the Flight School AP. I chose this because I am assuming it was built specifically for RF as the default airport. The airplane I am using is the L-39.

Camera Types
- Fixed Postion F1
- Nose F2
- Chase F3
- Cockpit F4
- Front Seat F5
- Tail F6
- Wheels F7

1. How does the F-keys get assigned to the camera types?
The standard views are Fixed, Nose, and Chase.
2. How does the Cockpit, Front Seat, etc. get added to an airport you building from scratch?
Depends on how detailed the modeler was with the design. If the modeler built a cockpitt, front seat, etc. then it is included when you load the model and go to the VIEW > CAMERA TYPE. Great example of a really detailed cockpit is L-39. Not all modelers choose to go to this level of detail. Makes sense in that as an RC pilot, you would not be flying your model based on the cockpit view. The only exception would be if you were flying FPV.

Camera Positions
- Runway End
- Runway Cross
- Heli Pilot Spawn
- Flight Instructor (Default)
- Pilot Tower Spawn

1. Are the camera positions based on the location of pilot spawns or airplane spawns?
2. If you chose the Tower Spawn - I noticed that you can use the A,W,S,X keys to pan. Looks like the mouse sorta works as well. So if you wanted - could you sit in the tower and watch all that is going on within the airport during a multiplayer session.

In Edit Mode - there is an object folder named Spawning Points.
1. For the spawning objects to function as designed must they all be located in the same object folder?

Runway End (Pilot Spawn). It is located alongside of runway 09.
1. What is it's purpose?

Runway Cross: Pilot Spawn at the runway intersection.
1. When does this spawn come into play?

Heli Pilot Spawn: Next to Heli Pad.
1. Is this the view that is used in the Camera Position HELI PILOT SPAWN?

Heli Spawn: (first occurrence) Heli on Heli Pad

Plane Spawn taxi 1: Spawn parked next to the tent.

Plane Spawn: Blue Plane Spawn on the take-off end of RW 25.
1. Is the Flight Instructor view?
2. What are the other two green airplane spawns for that are located next to the blue spawn?

Plane Spawn 2: Blue Plane Spawn on RW 09 next to the Runway End Spawn.

Unknown Plane Spawns: Two Green Plane Spawns
1. what are they for
2. Why are these not listed in the Spawning Objects List?

Plane Spawn 4: Located on taxiway by Heli Pad.
1. What purpose does this serve?

Flight Instructor Spawn: Flight Instructor Camera Position

Event Spawn: Middle of the runway intersection.
1. What is it's purpose?

Pilot Tower Spawn: Pilot Tower Spawn Camera Position

Heli Spawn: (Second Occurrence on object list) Located on RW 25.
1. When does this come into play?

Heli Spawn: (Third Occurrence on object list) Located on RW 09.
1.When does this come into play?

Heli Spawn: (Fourth Occurrence on object list) Located on apron next to pickup truck.

Overhead Helpers (OH)
OH #1: Located next to runway intersection and is pointed towards the intersection
OH #2: Is located next to Heli Pad in the same position as the Heli Pilot Spawn. It is pointed towards the tower.
OH #3: is located along side RW 09 in the same position as the Runway End Pilot Spawn. It is pointed towards the tower.
OH #4: Is located close to the Tower and is pointed towards the heli pad.
OH #5: Is located on the other side of the runway intersection and is pointed towards the tent and parking lot.

1. How does an OH help?
2. How does one determine how many and where to put helpers on the airport?

brields
01-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Downloaded and installed CVN_74.ap. Loaded with errors. Carrier deck is white - lacks detail.

Downloaded and installed the suggested link. I get D3DXERR_InvalidData File .\DXTexture.cpp when loading the Full Scale Corsair.

Then when I load the suggested link. I the errors in the attached picture.

Suggestions on how to fix the errors?

Thanks,
Jim

The CVN-74 Moving has incorrect texture naming. You'll have to watch for the error
prompt at the bottom left corner of the screen, and rename files accordingly. Or,
you can upgrade to RF 6. It's able to automatically work around the issue.

phrank
01-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Or,
you can upgrade to RF 6. It's able to automatically work around the issue.
Pay attention Brian.... :p
He is using RF6. ;)

Maj. Numbskully
01-23-2012, 08:07 PM
Pay attention Phrank !...........
it needs to be in blue type ..sheech :rolleyes:

phrank
01-23-2012, 09:19 PM
WHAAAAAT? :confused:
There's COLORS too?

Purty! :D

brields
01-23-2012, 09:35 PM
oooh! the COLORS !

dhk79
01-23-2012, 09:58 PM
I've edited your post with answers, however, the response to many of the "when does it come into play" type questions is "when you decide to use it..."

Doug
First - This is a long post. For those of you who have been around forever, this info is probably second nature and intuitive.

For this newbie and others following in my footsteps who are learning to build effective airports - it is key that we understand how this stuff works.

I did research the RF6 manual - not much there.

To the person who chooses to responds to this - THANK YOU!

Please provide embedded detailed answers and color code your responses blue.

No doubt some of your answers will generate more questions. Again, thank you for helping. For Others who wish to contribute - please use the QUOTE button within the latest post dealing with these questions.

Please do not use the NEW REPLY button. If you do - then I will have to go back and copy your inputs and put them into the latest quote so everything will be together.

This way, we will eventually end up with a very valuable totally self-contained set of notes and instructions on Spawn Objects.

For this discussion - I am using the Flight School AP. I chose this because I am assuming it was built specifically for RF as the default airport. The airplane I am using is the L-39.

Camera Types
- Fixed Postion F1
- Nose F2
- Chase F3
- Cockpit F4
- Front Seat F5
- Tail F6
- Wheels F7

1. How does the F-keys get assigned to the camera types?
The standard views are Fixed, Nose, and Chase.
DHK-Add another camera to your AV and you get another view (up to the limit of 7 additional - i.e. F4 through F10 and the name you give the camera will be what gets displayed). While it may be confusing only the fixed views are part of the airport.
2. How does the Cockpit, Front Seat, etc. get added to an airport you building from scratch?
DHK-Those are part of the physics of the aircraft, no modeling is required. Just add the cameras.
Depends on how detailed the modeler was with the design. If the modeler built a cockpitt, front seat, etc. then it is included when you load the model and go to the VIEW > CAMERA TYPE. Great example of a really detailed cockpit is L-39. Not all modelers choose to go to this level of detail. Makes sense in that as an RC pilot, you would not be flying your model based on the cockpit view. The only exception would be if you were flying FPV.

Camera Positions
- Runway End
- Runway Cross
- Heli Pilot Spawn
- Flight Instructor (Default)
- Pilot Tower Spawn

1. Are the camera positions based on the location of pilot spawns or airplane spawns?
DHK-Pilot Spawns are fixed camera positions.
2. If you chose the Tower Spawn - I noticed that you can use the A,W,S,X keys to pan. Looks like the mouse sorta works as well. So if you wanted - could you sit in the tower and watch all that is going on within the airport during a multiplayer session.
DHK-Sure if that's what trips your trigger.

In Edit Mode - there is an object folder named Spawning Points.
1. For the spawning objects to function as designed must they all be located in the same object folder?
DHK-No, that's just for organization. You could put a pilot spawn in a "trees" folder and it would work the same.
Runway End (Pilot Spawn). It is located alongside of runway 09.
1. What is it's purpose?
DHK-It's just a viewpoint, sometimes it's fun to try flying from different points (and it's good practice too).
Runway Cross: Pilot Spawn at the runway intersection.
DHK-When you select it. Hitting "X" changes pit position (i.e. the pilot spawn and then the aircraft will reset to the coresponding spawn point). Same answer for many of the next questions :confused:
Heli Pilot Spawn: Next to Heli Pad.
1. Is this the view that is used in the Camera Position HELI PILOT SPAWN?

Heli Spawn: (first occurrence) Heli on Heli Pad

Plane Spawn taxi 1: Spawn parked next to the tent.

Plane Spawn: Blue Plane Spawn on the take-off end of RW 25.
1. Is the Flight Instructor view?
2. What are the other two green airplane spawns for that are located next to the blue spawn?
DHK-Those are multi-player game spawns. Used so everyone doesn't show up at the exact same spot.
Plane Spawn 2: Blue Plane Spawn on RW 09 next to the Runway End Spawn.

Unknown Plane Spawns: Two Green Plane Spawns
1. what are they for
2. Why are these not listed in the Spawning Objects List?

Plane Spawn 4: Located on taxiway by Heli Pad.
1. What purpose does this serve?

Flight Instructor Spawn: Flight Instructor Camera Position

Event Spawn: Middle of the runway intersection.
1. What is it's purpose?
DHK-Holdover from G4 which had multi-player RC events.
Pilot Tower Spawn: Pilot Tower Spawn Camera Position

Heli Spawn: (Second Occurrence on object list) Located on RW 25.

Heli Spawn: (Third Occurrence on object list) Located on RW 09.
1.When does this come into play?

Heli Spawn: (Fourth Occurrence on object list) Located on apron next to pickup truck.

Overhead Helpers (OH)
OH #1: Located next to runway intersection and is pointed towards the intersection
OH #2: Is located next to Heli Pad in the same position as the Heli Pilot Spawn. It is pointed towards the tower.
OH #3: is located along side RW 09 in the same position as the Runway End Pilot Spawn. It is pointed towards the tower.
OH #4: Is located close to the Tower and is pointed towards the heli pad.
OH #5: Is located on the other side of the runway intersection and is pointed towards the tent and parking lot.

1. How does an OH help?
DHK-I have no idea about this one, as I've never used an OH

Maj. Numbskully
01-23-2012, 10:38 PM
dhk ...on the point of placing spawn points in the trees folder ....yes it still works
but I found that if you do not keep them in the spawn point folder at times those spawn points will move from where you placed them or RF crashed more often

This used to happen a lot in 4.5 until I started to make sure things go where they belong
I have only edited 1 AP so far in 6
so I'm not sure if this still holds true...but better safe than sorry

Fun2av8RC
01-25-2012, 01:53 PM
DHK - Thank you for your inputs. Very helpful.

Maj Numbskully. In this AP I am building - I put spawns in the individual object folders (hangars, tower, etc.) for the sole purpose of keeping the spawns with the object should I want to move a hangar or resposition the tower. So far the spawns stay in their assigned postion when I move objects.

Now as for the RF crashes more often thought you had ..... there may be some truth in that - I am experiencing a number of crashes while in the edit mode. What I don't know is if it is in part to the spawns not being together in a single folder or its a computer short coming. The AP is pretty big. I have never had a crash running the AP in the simulator - only when doing edting.

U-Bird
12-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Looking at the enclosed screenshot it is clear that trees representing a tropical climate are easy enough to add, ONE at a time, but where can you find the needed item to seed the out lying areas with tropical type plants and trees? The Desert items don't look bad and are BETTER than Pine trees, but tropical would be better.
Is there a way to import a new Serria Nevada, a whole new area, say the Solomon Islands or England and France togather or New Guinea etc?? and last, how do you change from green to Ice and Snow. can't seem to find anything in the editor, am I missing something?

U-Bird
12-07-2012, 07:35 PM
A few more screenshots, you can see the desert foliage in the background, tropical would be even better

U-Bird
12-07-2012, 07:43 PM
LOTS of Catus in the background, somehow I don't recall it being like that when I was in the area.

opjose
12-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Is there a way to import a new Serria Nevada, a whole new area, say the Solomon Islands or England and France togather or New Guinea etc?? and last, how do you change from green to Ice and Snow. can't seem to find anything in the editor, am I missing something?

The existing Sierra Nevada terrain is seeded with many different types of foliage.

The foliage type is related both to elevation and location relative to the Mediterranean Sea ( Yes it's there, but it's all the way WEST instead of SOUTH as the terrain has it's axis shifted compared to the real location it is based upon ).

So if you want desert, or tropical tree seedings, just move your airport to the appropriate location.

Since you can export and re-import your entire hiearchy as I instructed before, this is not hard to do.

opjose
12-08-2012, 12:25 AM
I think the Gnome is just an Easter Egg. Many computer games and simulators have them.

There is more to this story than it being just an Easter Egg.

Jeff do you want to spill the beans?

opjose
12-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Jrffpn, lately, you have been ragging on me when ever I post an Idea or an explanation. Not every post I'v made, mind you! But please. stop.

Usually it's because you are posting utter nonsense.

Hang around a bit more before you try to help.

Fun2av8RC
12-30-2012, 09:56 AM
1. What is the purpose of Overhead Helpers?

- - Overhead helpers are not in the 6.5 Manual

2. How does an OH help?

Flare
12-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Overhead helpers are where the center of the overhead gadget will be on fixed view.

Fun2av8RC
12-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Overhead helpers are where the center of the overhead gadget will be on fixed view.

Hey Dude - thanks for responding.

When you say 'fixed view', are you saying F1 - Fixed pilot position? Makes sense - if you are flying FPV (F2) or Chase (F3) why would you need the helpers.

'Where the center of the overhead gaget will be' The OH looks like old time movie cameras have an arrow. In the Flight School.ap, they seem to be in pairs, pointing to each other. They also seem to be clustered around a pilot spawn. What I want to learn is should they be in pairs? Should they be close to the spawn? And, what is the impact of moving them further out.

What is the overall benefit of OH? What would it be like without them?

Using a baseball diamond paradigm would make understanding easier for me

Put the Pilot Spawn on the pitcher's mound.
Make the line to first base Runway 1.
Make the line to 3rd base Runway 2

Would you put the runway helpers in the infield or the outfield. Would you put a matching OH along the foul lines opposite the OH in either the infield or outfiel and point them toward each other?

Should they point to the pitcher's mound or the runways?

Would you put a cluster on each runway at the midway point facing towards the runway?

Looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts and experiences. I am sorry for the long wordy questons ... It really helps me learn if I tear the question down to basics.

Flare
12-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Yes, fixed view (or just 'Fixed') is another name for 'Fixed Pilot Position'. Most pepole fly on fixed view (F1). So airports usually have overhead helpers. They are optional. Like aircraft spawns, overhead helpers are linked to the closest pilot spawn to them. I usually don't put them on my airport, so, whenever I fly on fixed at one of my airport's that dosen't have an OH the overhead gadget shows the center of the airports.

Fun2av8RC
12-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Would someone please tell me where I went wrong here..... My grass is deep - small wheels sink. (double click pix for larger view)

Same for the heli on floats ....

Thanks!

Flare
01-01-2013, 01:02 PM
My grass is deep - small wheels sink. Thanks!

click on the name of your airport in the 'Folder Listing' window. Go to properties. at the bottom you will see 'Matireal'. set that to '<None>' and the wheels should'nt sink.

Fun2av8RC
01-01-2013, 10:05 PM
click on the name of your airport in the 'Folder Listing' window. Go to properties. at the bottom you will see 'Matireal'. set that to '<None>' and the wheels should'nt sink.

Thanks .... I tried it and it worked! Download Brenridge Drive Ver 6a.ap and see what you think. You into Multiplayer?

Flare
01-01-2013, 11:44 PM
Thanks .... I tried it and it worked! Download Brenridge Drive Ver 6a.ap and see what you think. You into Multiplayer?

Yes, I like flying with other pepole. I'll download your AP tomorrow and check it out!

Flare
01-03-2013, 02:11 PM
I have the airport downloaded. Next time try using the detail textures.
If you make a 7th version of brenrige drive,
You should replace the cement runways with a concrete Projected scenery object in the add window (Realflight 6.5>Runways).

Fun2av8RC
01-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Hey Flare - thanks for the comments.

Keep in mind I don't speak fluent RF development so please don't assume I'm up to speed with the lingo and labels. I'm working on it and i will get there someday.

Detail Textures ???? Not sure what I should be doing here.

Are you referring to the roads?

What is a concrete Projected scenery object ? Its the 'projected scenery object' thats got me confused. I choose this runway because it has no runway markings. Is there a better 'road' object I can use.

:)

tele1974
01-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Fun2av8RC. I sent you a PM question.

Fun2av8RC
01-16-2013, 10:34 AM
A friend of mine is attempting to setup an airport to practice his pattern and IMAC sequences. He is attempting to setup poles on center and at 60 degrees to mark the box.

Issue he is having is when he attempts to add another object is that Realflight changes the relative position of the objects that were originally placed in the airport.

What is "Relative position" and how does adding more objects change what was already placed in the airport.

Is there a way to do absoulte position?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Flare
01-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Remember I sent you that message about Detail Textures? I think i have a copy of that somewhere. This Link (http://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/objects_tutorial.php#projected) tells about Projected Scenery Objects. If you are using the objects from the add ons as driveways and roads try using the object in this folder: Realflight 6.5 > Runways > Ranch Runway.

Fun2av8RC
01-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Remember I sent you that message about Detail Textures? I think i have a copy of that somewhere. This Link (http://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/objects_tutorial.php#projected) tells about Projected Scenery Objects. If you are using the objects from the add ons as driveways and roads try using the object in this folder: Realflight 6.5 > Runways > Ranch Runway.

Yes you did.... thanks again for helping out!

Fun2av8RC
02-17-2013, 09:21 PM
is there an easy way to put runway numbers on the runways?

jeffpn
02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
You'd have to use available objects. You can't modify an airport object.

flexible
02-17-2013, 09:48 PM
You could model you're own air port object (runway, map it, paint it)

Fun2av8RC
02-21-2013, 09:33 AM
Would anyone know where I can find one of these to use in my new aiport?

Fun2av8RC
02-21-2013, 09:37 AM
If you are builder/developer and if you live in my neck of the woods and if you wouldn't mind teaching a newbie noob how to create simple airport objects like I have asked for in previous posts like the wire spool and airport signs - please send me a pm.

I would really like to learn this stuff .... But gotta admit, I'm not the sharpest stick in the box. But i do learn good when taught how.

Boof69
02-21-2013, 02:44 PM
I made this spool up for you real quick. Just import the AP and then immediately delete the AP. You will be left with the spool.

jeffpn
02-21-2013, 02:47 PM
Why does he have to delete immediately the airport? What happens if he waits until the day after to do that? :p

Boof69
02-21-2013, 02:48 PM
It could mean the end of the universe as we know it!:eek: Or whatever.:D

flexible
02-21-2013, 03:35 PM
Why can we not export air port objects for transfer?

jeffpn
02-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Because it's not possible.

flexible
02-21-2013, 04:06 PM
(not possible) starting to be the norm around here!

phrank
02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
(not possible) starting to be the norm around here!

Ummm,
"I'm not the sharpest stick in the box."
How do you share an object with a self described dull stick?
You give the stick an .rfx file that can be imported the traditional way.
Give the stick a separate .kex/.tga. And you could do permanent damage to said stick.

flexible
02-21-2013, 04:51 PM
How do you get the rfx out to share?

phrank
02-21-2013, 05:09 PM
How do you get the rfx out to share?

By sharing the Airport object as an airport. Like Boof just did.

flexible
02-21-2013, 05:46 PM
That sure seams like a M I C K E Y M O U S E way to go about shareing one litle object. May be that has something to do with why so little air port objects get shared.

Boof69
02-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Its just the way it is. KE would have to add the import function. This subject has been discussed somewhere and Ryan answered that they don't have plans to change it. I don't think its really that big a deal. You can delete the airport and the object stays behind.

jeffpn
02-21-2013, 06:48 PM
KE has different thoughts about airport objects. They want to make sure airports and objects stay together. I don't necessarily agree (I know, right??), but it's their product.

flexible
02-21-2013, 06:57 PM
What does one have to do with the other? Air ports retain there objects now. I fail to see why us being able to export an obj as an rfx as being a prob. You can export air port objects now, but they are un use able.

jeffpn
02-21-2013, 07:03 PM
How does one export an airport object? I see no option for that.

12oclockhigh
02-21-2013, 07:33 PM
within the airport editor... create a folder.. then export the folder to a file... then when you are in the other airport.. you can import the folder of airport objects. You don't need to send someone the whole airport to send an object.

flexible
02-21-2013, 07:35 PM
I'll have to tell you some time, I'm cooking hambergers right now.

Boof69
02-21-2013, 07:45 PM
While there may be some way I'm not aware of to get objects into RF the method I used is the the most error proof way to do things as things are now. I guess I just don't see any problem with how things are now. No extra time is needed to do so.

12oclockhigh
02-21-2013, 08:31 PM
The question was asked, I answered it. It is possible? Yes... More efficient to export one object?? Yes... More error proof? that is a user judgement.

Boof69
02-21-2013, 08:32 PM
Ok.... Whatever:rolleyes:

dhk79
02-21-2013, 09:38 PM
Go look in the airport objects thread. It tells you a method to transfer just an object. We've been doing it for years (so look in old threads...).

Boof69
02-21-2013, 09:43 PM
No thanks. I'm happy with just sharing the AP. Its easy enough for anyone to understand without looking up old threads.

dhk79
02-21-2013, 09:43 PM
I would really like to learn this stuff .... But gotta admit, I'm not the sharpest stick in the box. But i do learn good when taught how.Well you've come to the right spot. Many people have learned here without ever meeting face-to-face. To get started go to the G5 Designers Corner and find a stickie titled "How to build your own models". It has links to most of the tutorials on this site. And you'll find the modelers more than willing to help anyone who truly wants to learn.

Here's a link to that thread, but it's also good to know where it is.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20971

Doug

dhk79
02-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Its easy enough for anyone to understand without looking up old threads.Youngsters... :rolleyes: And you wonder why there's so many complaints about people who don't know how to search.

Boof69
02-21-2013, 09:54 PM
I just want to share the object easily without needing to troubleshoot too. I spent the time making the object I don't need the extra headache of looking up how to share objects in some creative non intuitive way for beginners. I didn't even know there was another way. I really don't know much about AP stuff myself.

tele1974
02-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Question again. This is driving me nuts. Why is realflight editor changing the values of relative position of objects. I visited the link that was sent to me but it doesn't say anything about relative position. I just placed ten or so objects then for some reason the x and y values change. They don't change position on the field the x and y numbers change.
Your help would be much appreciated.

12oclockhigh
02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
The relative positions are in relation to the parent item. Are you moving the parent item/group/folder?

tele1974
02-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Okay that is what I am confused about. Sorry my knowledge of the editor is lacking.

I guess I need some help with definitions of parent item/ group/ folder and how it relates to their position. So far I have be taking objects out of the object palette and dropping them on the field and positioning them. They then end up in an objects folder in the folder listing.

Is their a way to copy and paste more than one object for a move. I am attempting to build a pattern practice field and I have poles extending up 3000 feet out of the 80 vertical limbo poles. Very tedious.

opjose
02-22-2013, 06:26 PM
I guess I need some help with definitions of parent item/ group/ folder and how it relates to their position. So far I have be taking objects out of the object palette and dropping them on the field and positioning them. They then end up in an objects folder in the folder listing.

Is their a way to copy and paste more than one object for a move. I am attempting to build a pattern practice field and I have poles extending up 3000 feet out of the 80 vertical limbo poles. Very tedious.

A parent object/group is what the "child" object belongs to. This is an often used paradigm in the computer world.

Child objects inherit the characteristics of the parent.

In a manner of speaking RF's editor does not expose the traditional parent/child relationship to the end user.

That means you cannot drop say a fence onto a house, then move the house and have the fence remain with the house in exactly the same place.

However you CAN define any number of "folders". Any object located within a folder is said to be a member of that folder "group".

If you move the group to another location, by selecting the group first... then all of the associated objects will move RETAINING their relationships to each OTHER.

The exception to this are objects that either drop or conform to the ground ( which is another matter ).

-----

Relative Positions are exactly that, relative to something else... and not "absolute".

e.g. a cone may be at a relative position of 10,10. If you move the parent object, the cone either goes with the parent or the relative position of the cone changes to reflect the new position between it and the parent.

---

Absolute positions are also exactly that... if you define an object to be at a certain X,Y,Z then it will ALWAYS be exactly at the X,Y,Z when the program starts up...

If you define a post absolutely, then move the airport, you may loose that post in Realflight's large 3D terrain.

Norton
02-23-2013, 03:57 AM
A parent object/group is what the "child" object belongs to. This is an often used paradigm in the computer world.

Child objects inherit the characteristics of the parent.

In a manner of speaking RF's editor does not expose the traditional parent/child relationship to the end user.

That means you cannot drop say a fence onto a house, then move the house and have the fence remain with the house in exactly the same place.

However you CAN define any number of "folders". Any object located within a folder is said to be a member of that folder "group".

If you move the group to another location, by selecting the group first... then all of the associated objects will move RETAINING their relationships to each OTHER.

The exception to this are objects that either drop or conform to the ground ( which is another matter ).

-----

Relative Positions are exactly that, relative to something else... and not "absolute".

e.g. a cone may be at a relative position of 10,10. If you move the parent object, the cone either goes with the parent or the relative position of the cone changes to reflect the new position between it and the parent.

---

Absolute positions are also exactly that... if you define an object to be at a certain X,Y,Z then it will ALWAYS be exactly at the X,Y,Z when the program starts up...

If you define a post absolutely, then move the airport, you may loose that post in Realflight's large 3D terrain.

+1 Opjose.

Flare
08-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Usually when I raise the Z value of a dynamic object's (or sometimes even normal object's) position, save, and leave the editor, the object will either be back on the ground, or lower then it was. :confused:
When I copy a dynamic object, Respond To Physics is always set to yes.
Also if I copy an object either by ctrl+C, Right click and "Copy Here", or ctrl-dragging it, the copy will be lower then the original http://www.helifreak.com/images/smilies/dontknow.gif(I don't have to leave the editor for that to happen).

Another thing is I cannot increase the Z value of an Airport Folder. (what's it for when it can't be used?)

Maj. Numbskully
08-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Although I never thought I'd say this ....................:rolleyes: .............

I have to agree with F:eek:lare

Moved or missing objects after leaving the editor is nothing new .....however it is not at all as prevalent as it was it 4..0/4.5
( I never had G5 ,but actually it has not happened to me yet with RF6/6.5 )
BUT...
Uneven object placement is something that has bugged me about RF since way back when , to today ...
For example:
Trying to line up 2 gym floors with out a gear ripping bump at the seam while you taxi in one or both directions...even if they both have the same digital Z setting
I have tried "conform to ground" or not to , and it does not help
Also...
I don't understand why the AP object Folder's contents Z parameter cant be raised/lowered in a new AP either??
....whats the point?...I'm thinking its really only useful for photo fields that have a "common' level ground maybe?

Flare
08-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I saved the folder with the DO's and loaded it into a different AP. They were responding to physics, and I had it at No.

Another thing, has anyone noticed that if you move an object (if the camera is near it) the objects will move in random ways slightly.

Fun2av8RC
08-30-2013, 11:43 PM
Is there an American Flag on a Flag Pole that blows with the wind?

Flare
08-31-2013, 10:06 AM
Yes. I couldn't find the AP on the swaps, but I have seen one.