PDA

View Full Version : Modeler gone AWOL

dhk79
01-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Sure I've been largely absent from the forum for a while, but I promise that I haven't totally abandoned the RC hobby nor my modeling for RF.

After getting several PMs and emails asking me if I'd gotten fed up with and left the forum, I figured I should just make a general posting to everyone. Although, the funniest comment was an insinuation that it was Jeff that I'd gotten fed up with. I had tears in my eyes from laughing over that. :p

At any rate, this last year has been a really big one for me. To start with I've moved from Phoenix, AZ to Alexandria, VA; gotten a new job; and built a new house. But that hasn't been enough, I've also been spending the vast majority of the "free" time (that I used to largely occupy with modeling) working on said house. I do, however, have a RC related ulterior motive here - I want my shop back...

As seen in the first picture, all of my RC gear is still in boxes and that large pile of "stuff" is sitting right where my shop will be. I'm glad to say that the other pictures do show that I am making progress. The bathroom is mostly done as are the walls in the non-shop part of the basement.

So thanks for all of your kind words and well wishes. Don't give up on me, as I will return and continue modeling for RealFlight. Till then I still respond to PMs and lurk in the forum when I can :D

Doug

Norton
01-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Cheers Doug!

A pic of my latest mahogany door build.

7 more to go.........

willsonman
01-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I knew you would show up when you felt like it! When you are done with your house c'mon over to mine and I'll put you to work. I too got a new job recently and its been and interesting transition. I hope to see you out at some of the local fly-ins. PGRC club and Free State Aeromodelers have good events. That one in DE is good too. ;)

phrank
01-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Hey! He's alive!
Happy New Years Doug, congrats on the new crib.

abaser
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM
If you need a good floor guy and the price is right, Im there for ya :p

dhk79
01-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Todd,
That would make a really sweet entrance to the shop (but I think my wife might try to steal it) :rolleyes:

mwilson914
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Good to hear you are well Doug! I hope your shop gets setup in good time and you can get back to the mindless fun of the RC and Sim modeling hobbies. I moved into a new place last summer and my desk has a path to it through the boxes and other storage items.

Anyhow, glad to here you are ok.

Boof69
01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I knew you were fine. Your kind of like batman. If I sent out a signal I heard from you right away. da duna dah! Glad things are going so well for you Doug.

Norton
01-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I'd love to send you one! African mahogany is pretty pricey right now though! Without glass and a finish your looking at about $3500.00
When it's all done and said, about $ 6000.00 installed.

A couple more pics for the fun of it.

Yea, I know it's off topic. That's it from me.

willsonman
01-06-2012, 09:42 PM
You have my wife drooling on my shoulder right now... no no... she does NOT normally drool.

dhk79
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
The one-man construction crew is progressing at about the speed you'd expect from someone with a full-time job. About the only time I can devote to this project is on weekends, and I can't count on having all of them free either.

This last weekend was spent finishing the painting and getting started on the floor. I've got roughly 1/3 of the floor in and it was the most complicated section.

I did find the time to modify my Slow Poke to a Pete 'n Poke as a special request, with Boof69 providing the CS. No other RF modeling work has been completed since the construction started here.

opjose
03-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Great rendering work there! :D

jeffpn
03-19-2012, 01:10 PM
I think he should have flushed the toilet first!!! :p

Madratter
03-19-2012, 01:38 PM
I think he should have flushed the toilet first!!! :p

Give the man a break. At least the lid is up like it should be! :D

opjose
03-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Give the man a break. At least the lid is up like it should be! :D

Up, Down, Sideways?

I can never figure out what "the rules" are for the lid!

:eek:

I would have figured "closed/down" so they don't have to touch it.

But some want "up" to indicate that no attempts at "flying through the hoop" was made...

Someone please clarify this complexity to me! :eek:

jeffpn
03-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Says the man who lives with two girls. I think you've been trained, as I was growing up with 3 sisters and no brothers!!

dhk79
03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
I can never figure out what "the rules" are for the lid!That's easy, down with the bowl carefully wrapped in Saran Wrap. :p

jeffpn
03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Ooh! Nice. Dark side Doug!!

Norton
03-19-2012, 09:34 PM
I unfortunately pulled the saran wrap trick on a buddy for the Super Bowl. The big mistake was it was at my house:rolleyes:

dhk79
03-20-2012, 11:52 AM
Some pranks are not for the faint of heart...

Madratter
03-20-2012, 01:39 PM
I unfortunately pulled the saran wrap trick on a buddy for the Super Bowl. The big mistake was it was at my house:rolleyes:

What were you thinking. Doh! :eek:

opjose
03-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Oh the mental imagery that just created! :p :p

dhk79
04-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Quick update. My basement project is complete, and more importantly that also includes my shop. So I can come out of hiding and start playing RC again.

It's been over a year since I was last flying anything bigger than an indoor heli. The trip to Toledo last week allowed me to procure a new addition to my squadron and now that I have a shop again, I'll start repairing the damage the movers inflicted to most of my other birds.

Here's a few shots of the completed man-cave. My wife might not see me for weeks to come.

Doug

Norton
04-22-2012, 09:09 PM
Nice Doug!

jeffpn
04-22-2012, 09:17 PM
Good Doug!

Maj. Numbskully
04-22-2012, 09:32 PM
:p...........When do I move in?

abaser
04-22-2012, 09:46 PM
20 bucks says if you're like anyone I know, that will be the cleanest you will ever see it again.:D

dhk79
04-22-2012, 10:04 PM
20 bucks says if you're like anyone I know, that will be the cleanest you will ever see it again.:DNo probably not, I build a lot of my own from kit or scratch. So just before I start with the Monocote, I do a real thourough cleanup to get rid of any balsa dust. But I will admit that between covering jobs...:eek: