PDA

View Full Version : Wings 3d Newbie Questions

Madratter
01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I have been attempting to use Wings 3d to build a simple foam aircraft. Even doing that I have run into some trouble (I have essentially no 3d modeling experience).

I have attached a screenshot of my admittedly woeful attempts to build a fuselage. Four questions and whatever advice you might care to share:

1) How do you avoid the problem of perspective when lining things up with the 3 view. From the angle I was working, things looked like they matched up nicely. Once you rotate the camera, it is beyond obvious the match is poor at best.

2) I obviously failed to pick the pair of points at times and this resulted in the front of the slab not matching the back. Is there a good way to bring them back into perfect alignment so the points differ only in the correct amount of x (9mm front to back).

3) I have discovered how to free rotate the camera to look at my attempt from any angle. However, I have not discovered how to freely move my viewpoint along an axis. In this case, if I was able to move my viewpoint along the z axis so I am essentially looking directly over the points I want to move, it would really help with the perspective problem. How do you do this?

4) When I use Shift-Tab to get a quick smoothed preview, things are an utter mess. What is going on and should I worry about that?

TIA

jeffpn
01-07-2012, 05:29 PM
1) Click the box I pointed to or Hit O (not zero) to set up orthographic view. That gives you alignment regardless of viewing angle.

2) Not quite sure of your question, but if you select 2 vertices, it will show you the distance between them, in our case, inches.

3) If you mouse over a vertex, edge, face or object, it will turn green. Hit a to center your view to the moused over object. If you've selected something, it'll be red. Hit Shift-a to center you view on everything selected.

4) Do not hit Shift Tab. (I fell into the same trap). Hit Tab. That will show you a decently rendered image that you can use to gauge what it will look like in RF.

Madratter
01-07-2012, 05:35 PM
1) Click the box I pointed to or Hit O (not zero) to set up orthographic view. That gives you alignment regardless of viewing angle.

2) Not quite sure of your question, but if you select 2 vertices, it will show you the distance between them, in our case, inches.

3) If you mouse over a vertex, edge, face or object, it will turn green. Hit a to center your view to the moused over object. If you've selected something, it'll be red. Hit Shift-a to center you view on everything selected.

4) Do not hit Shift Tab. (I fell into the same trap). Hit Tab. That will show you a decently rendered image that you can use to gauge what it will look like in RF.

Thanks Jeff. So that is what orthographic view is for!

What I was trying to get at with my 2nd question, is now that I have 2 points that don't line up correctly (I moved the front but failed to have the back point selected, how do I get the back point in the correct position with the front point. The only way I can think of is to just delete both points, add points back in, and realign with the 3 view.

jeffpn
01-07-2012, 05:46 PM
You can use absolute commands to snap the second vertex to the same location. As the first vertex. Then Move|z or whichever direction you need to move it from there.

Madratter
01-07-2012, 05:50 PM
You can use absolute commands to snap the second vertex to the same location. As the first vertex. Then Move|z or whichever direction you need to move it from there.

Got it!

flexible
01-07-2012, 06:20 PM
Loop select the Verts you want to move, as the image hides those the verts behind the image, or select those on the front, then type the letter I, for identical, which selects those on the back as well.

Madratter
01-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Loop select the Verts you want to move, as the image hides those the verts behind the image, or select those on the front, then type the letter I, for identical, which selects those on the back as well.

Thanks Flexible. The problem was since I wasn't in orthogonal view, I missed the back ones selecting a few times. I have been doing the i for identical on edges, but didn't even think about the fact I could do the same things for vertices.

a4magic
01-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Since the thread is open, I will take advatage of it for some help.
At school a kid asked me to build a plane model for him to get some renders off of. I am very happy with how the model ended up, except for the cockpit has bloches on it, where the matterial looks diffrent. I have changed it several times but it still won't change to look normal.

p.s. I do have a new computer.

jeffpn
01-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Put your file in a .zip folder and post it here. I'll look at it. Do you mean the dashed line appearance?

flexible
01-08-2012, 08:12 PM
You have inter and outer Faces fighting, tell him the fix jeff, then I will know how also.

jeffpn
01-08-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure what his issue is.

a4magic
01-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah. That is one of the only things I need to fix or finish, other than the cockpit and wing detail.

jeffpn
01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
It's a shading error. I can tell you that much. You could flatten|Normal the sides after connecting a couple pairs of verts. Depends on what you want the finished canopy to look like

Madratter
01-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Well, I think I got my fuselage corrected to the drawing using the orthographic view. I now have added in the top view for creating the wings. It was something of a struggle getting this (hopefully) right as the image wasn't quite exactly square and I also needed to scale it and move it to get things all lined up with the side view and what I had already done.

My plan is to do the wings, cut it in half, and then duplicate it so the two sides are identical since there is a strong likelyhood I didn't get the drawing perfectly lined up.

Attached is an image of my current progress. The bottom of the fuselage is also done; it just cannot be seen.

Is it better to do the ailerons at the same time as the wings and then cut them out somehow, or is it better to just model them separately from the start?

jeffpn
01-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Move your 3-view down below your bounding box. That way you can see your whole model. Lately I've been duplicating my 3 view in Wings. That way, in a perfect world, you only have to scale it one. 3 copies facing each way you need it.

This shot is from early in my last build. It has cross sections, so I had several copies. Only my cross sections are in the bounding box. The other 3 are not.

abaser
01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Whenever I do wings, Ill model everything at once, then create the geometry for the ailerons/flaps and loop cut them out. Once you cut them out, you must connect the corner verts of the ailerons AND the cutout of the wing (top and bottom) to keep from having hollow parts.

Madratter
01-08-2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks Jeff. That makes sense. I guess using Orthographic, there is no real point to having the 3 view in the center like I have it. I put it roughly where I wanted the wings to build. But that is kind of silly.

I edited my last post while you were replying to it, so I'm going to repeat the question I added.

Is it better to do the ailerons at the same time as the wings and then cut them out somehow, or is it better to just model them separately from the start?

Madratter
01-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Whenever I do wings, Ill model everything at once, then create the geometry for the ailerons/flaps and loop cut them out. Once you cut them out, you must connect the corner verts of the ailerons AND the cutout of the wing (top and bottom) to keep from having hollow parts.

Got it Abaser. Thanks!

flexible
01-08-2012, 11:37 PM
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25363

Madratter
01-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Thanks Flexible. I have actually been going through that thread already, and it has been a tremendous help.

The version of wings I have been using (1.4.1) doesn't match up exactly so there are some things I haven't been able to do. For example, I don't get an option to make my 3 views internal, nor am I smart enough to know what the implications are there.

jeffpn
01-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Wings 1.4.1 does allow you to make files internal, although once I make my file external, I leave it that way. Some of Flex's tutes were a great help to me as well, although some have continuity lapses occasionally.

I did a similar tute. The build starts at post #27. Maybe it can help you, too.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27312

flexible
01-09-2012, 10:00 AM
(continuity lapses occasionally), no, those are deliberate, omissions of repetitive actions.
I no longer make files external, once they are in, they stay in. I no longer use bmp, I use jpg images.
Note: images slow down the Wings loading's, the more images, the slower it loads. When I am through with them, by by.

jeffpn
01-09-2012, 10:03 AM
That's the second reason I duplicate my 3 views now. Only one texture gets loaded for them. The first reason is to ensure same scaling for each view.

Madratter
01-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Here is my latest progress on this. I don't get a lot of time to work on it, but it is coming along, given that I am new at this and have to learn Wings3D as I go (and there definitely is confusing stuff that happens to a newbie).

flexible
01-12-2012, 08:21 PM
O, those were the days, when I thought that learning Wings was the hard part, and it would all be down hill from there, hehe.

Madratter
01-21-2012, 01:37 PM
I have continued to work on this project a little at a time. I have currently got my 45 degree angles in for the hinge line on the rudders and elevator. I built those as separate pieces.

Now I need to cut out my ailerons. I can add points along the back edge. But I need to move them precisely along the existing back edge of the plane to line up with the points in the front so I can do a loop cut. I have no idea how to do that precisely. I would think there would be some kind of tool to precisely move a point along a line but I can't find it. I can move in the x and z directions independently, but then I end up messing up my precise line at the rear of the plane.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer.

jeffpn
01-21-2012, 01:41 PM
You can select your vertex, and right click. Then RIGHT click on .Move. That allows you to select an edge going the direction you want to move your vertex, like the edge the vertex is on. Make sure you're not mousing over something else as you execute the move. If you do, that will be added to the mix, too. That messed me up for a while until I figured that out.

Madratter
01-21-2012, 02:09 PM
You can select your vertex, and right click. Then RIGHT click on .Move. That allows you to select an edge going the direction you want to move your vertex, like the edge the vertex is on. Make sure you're not mousing over something else as you execute the move. If you do, that will be added to the mix, too. That messed me up for a while until I figured that out.

Thanks Jeff! That is exactly what I was looking for.

jeffpn
01-21-2012, 02:12 PM
There's also times when you want to restrict movement of a vertex to a particular plane. When you need to do that, let me know. ;)

Madratter
01-21-2012, 03:25 PM
I need to head out and play guitar pretty soon. I did manage to get my Ailerons cut out :). Next up I need to do the 45 degree cuts for the aileron hinge lines. It will be easy to mirror those on the wing. How I'm going to get the two ailerons to be exactly the same, I'm not sure yet. :confused: One problem at a time.

Here is the latest progress.

abaser
01-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Only do one wing. Then, in object mode, select the wing and aileron. Open the menu and right click "flip". Then press alt and right click x..........perfect mirror.

flexible
01-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Working in Wings;
Combine the Ail and the wing;
Loop Cut on the center line;
delete the unfinished side;
Flatten the root Face;
Select the Root Face then Mirror.
LMW/RMW
LA/RA
done

jeffpn
01-21-2012, 08:24 PM
That's a more complicated way than abaser described, flex. ;)
Try doing it his way: select a wing and aileron in Object mode. Select Flip. Hold the Alt button while you RIGHT click on X. Presto, mirrored wing and aileron in the correct place. No combining required.

Madratter
01-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Back from playing guitar. I'm definitely going to try it the way Abaser laid it out. I do appreciate the answer from flex though because I actually understand that method. It uses stuff I have already done. So it is a good fallback if I get stumped somehow doing the Abaser method.

I've used Photoshop for years, and I'm used to there being more than one way of accomplishing the same goal. Not surprisingly, it looks like that is the case with 3D modeling software as well. :D

abaser
01-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Back from playing guitar. I'm definitely going to try it the way Abaser laid it out. I do appreciate the answer from flex though because I actually understand that method. It uses stuff I have already done. So it is a good fallback if I get stumped somehow doing the Abaser method.

I've used Photoshop for years, and I'm used to there being more than one way of accomplishing the same goal. Not surprisingly, it looks like that is the case with 3D modeling software as well. :D
If you get stumped, let me know and I can work up a few pics to show the method. Its simple and quick, just delete the unfinished side first to avoid confusion after mirroring.

jeffpn
01-21-2012, 10:30 PM
I described the Flip command (and a couple others) in my Skywalker build. Check this post out.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208098&postcount=214

Click the link above the post number to view the entire thread.

Madratter
01-21-2012, 10:48 PM
I described the Flip command (and a couple others) in my Skywalker build. Check this post out.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208098&postcount=214

Click the link above the post number to view the entire thread.

Followed Abaser's method and success :) . Just checked out your post too Jeff. I definitely need to read that entire thread.

There seem to be lots of "magic" commands here that are not evident. In particular, how on earth do you know what a right click on a command is going to do? There doesn't seem to be any hint what will happen, and some of them appear to be very important. From what I can see, your only hope of learning this stuff, is the posts by others folks and relying on their kindness to help you.

Thanks guys!

abaser
01-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Right clicks are very useful indeed. You tube is your friend as well. ;)

Boof69
01-21-2012, 10:54 PM
When I first started learning to model I started with a sphere or a plane or box and just experimented around. I was able to glean allot from messing around pieces of geometry that were never meant to be anything. Just practice and experimentation.

jeffpn
01-21-2012, 11:17 PM
how on earth do you know what a right click on a command is going to do? There doesn't seem to be any hint what will happen, and some of them appear to be very important.
Look in the lower left hand corner of the screen when you highlight a command. You'll see a description of what they'll do. Any command with a period before and after it has multiple mouse button functions. Some are trickier than others.

abaser
01-21-2012, 11:25 PM
. Any command with a period before and after it has multiple mouse button functions
See, I didnt even know that. You learn something all the time when doing this. Every build will bring forth new techniques, commands, or just a clearer understanding of whats going on. I believe the OP mentioned something about when he learned this program or something to that effect, well, when that time comes, you will no longer be modeling here for free, that's a promise ;)

Madratter
01-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Look in the lower left hand corner of the screen when you highlight a command. You'll see a description of what they'll do. Any command with a period before and after it has multiple mouse button functions. Some are trickier than others.

Thanks Jeff. That's great to know.

flexible
01-22-2012, 11:40 AM
I love key commands, when I can remember them, hehe. Just remember to right click, instead of left click.

Madratter
01-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Here is my latest. I have now added a Motor from the parts bin from flexible. It has way more polygons than my simple model.

I have also renamed the parts, I think the way they should be. At this point, I would like to test fly what I have.

So three questions.

1) I know I still need to do a collision mesh. I think I just need to duplicate and combine some parts as per flexible and his wings3d for dummies. And then I need to name them COLL_ and the part name. But I only saw 3 parts in his post. Should I just stick with those 3 for now?

2) Then what. I know that somehow I need to export this, and I think I need to use blender to do that. Is there a good simple primer on that and the steps I need to follow from here, to get to something that can be test flown?

3) Last and most important, am I missing any other important steps before I get to test fly this thing?

Thanks!

jeffpn
01-22-2012, 10:56 PM
1) I generally make my CMesh parts starting from a cube. The entire CMesh must be less than 1,500 triangles. If your model is less than 8,000 triangles, you don't need a CMesh

2) No primer on Blender. abaser is using it. He'll chime in.

3) You need to map something for a successful import to RF. Even if you map the propeller spawn, which doesn't show in RF, that's good enough.

abaser
01-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Ill be glad to help where I can. Madratter, check your inbox.

flexible
01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Keep you're ~CS_COLL very simple, it is not seen. The shape determines how it lays on the ground.

Madratter
01-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the time you are taking to help me out here.

Got it with the Spinner Flexible, I'll need to rename to get under the limit for importing.

I'm almost certainly under the 8000 limit for not needing a collision mesh so it looks like I can skip that for now. Is there a way to get the total triangles for an object? I see them for individually selected objects, but as soon as I select more than one, that goes away.

jeffpn
01-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Save your project.
Combine everything.
Face Mode, Tesselate|Triangulate.
Face count is your triangles.
Do not save project.

jeffpn
01-23-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm guessing you're at 2,500-3,000 based on your last pic.

Madratter
01-23-2012, 11:56 AM

Thanks Jeff. From your answer, it is apparent the triangles I was looking at were wrong anyway!

Madratter
01-24-2012, 08:50 AM

It came in at 3752 with the motor, and 556 without it. So your guess was pretty good.

Andy has been helping me out with the blender stuff. :) I'm in the middle of getting that setup. Hopefully, I'll get some more time to play with that tonight.

Madratter
01-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Well, with Andy's help, I have now managed to create a flying box using Blender and importing it to RF6.

I have also managed to export my model from Wings 3d and import it into Blender.

Now to figure out pivots and all that other jazz. :eek: The learning curve doing this stuff is pretty steep.

abaser
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27520&page=8&pp=15

Post 117 has a parenting tut. I will slap a pivot tut together tonight.

Madratter
01-26-2012, 01:36 PM
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27520&page=8&pp=15

Post 117 has a parenting tut. I will slap a pivot tut together tonight.

abaser
01-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Do you have all of your parts named correctly? If not I'll throw naming in with the pivot tut.

Madratter
01-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Do you have all of your parts named correctly? If not I'll throw naming in with the pivot tut.

I'm pretty sure I have the parts named correctly. I've looked at the PDF that has all that, as well as a graphic that I think was in Flexible's tutorial. The one exception is the spinner where the correct name is apparently too long to transfer correctly. My impression is I will need to rename that correctly once I get into Blender.

Madratter
01-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Latest progress is I managed to actually get my aircraft into RF6. Granted the map is about as simple as you can get, and there are no pivot points so no moving parts yet. But just getting this far feels like a real accomplishment.

At least it looks vaguely like an airplane and it flies.

abaser
01-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Check your email for a get-me-by tut. Life happened tonight and the tut I planned didnt happen, but this one will get you by.

jeffpn
01-27-2012, 07:17 AM
But just getting this far feels like a real accomplishment.
It's a really cool feeling, getting your first model into RF.

Madratter
01-27-2012, 06:44 PM
I have now added pivots to my elevator, rudder, and ailerons. The elevator works great. However, the pivots for the rudder and ailerons are not right. I understand this is because the pivot is around the X axis. Since the ailerons are at an angle, bad things happen. And the rudder just goes up down instead of side to side.

Unfortunately, correcting this fault is still beyond me although I keep trying various things.

abaser
01-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Try this. Rudder: in edit mode rotate z 90 degrees. Then in object mode,-90. Press r-x-x to test rotation. I'm on my phone now so I must be short here.

abaser
01-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Oops, my bad......that's rotate y.

Madratter
01-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Oops, my bad......that's rotate y.

Yeah, I can't make that work because the center of my object is different than my pivot point and when rotating back, I don't end up with my rudder or aileron in the same place.

It looks like I can use empty objects for my pivot and then setup the parent object to link to them. I followed the instructions for that and almost have my rudder working. But I don't see a good way yet to know exactly how much rotation I need to apply to get things right since my rudder line and aileron line are not exactly on an axis.

jeffpn
01-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Set up a cube, and select one edge of the cube (known x, y, or z axis) and select the pivot edge. I've done that for my last couple models. Wings will display the EXACT angle between 2 selected edges. ;)

abaser
01-27-2012, 07:27 PM
I think you have some settings wrong. When I get home, I'll work up g that tut. What you are describing sounds a little more difficult and may not be recognized by RF.

abaser
01-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Sorry for the delay. I hope its clear enough.

Remove the .rfx when saving.

Madratter
01-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Set up a cube, and select one edge of the cube (known x, y, or z axis) and select the pivot edge. I've done that for my last couple models. Wings will display the EXACT angle between 2 selected edges. ;)

Great Idea! :D

Madratter
01-27-2012, 11:59 PM

Shoot, you could have taken a month and I'm still out ahead :) . Thanks for doing this. I'll get a good look at this in the morning.

jeffpn
01-28-2012, 12:02 AM
You wouldn't believe the head banging I did on one of my last models. I was thinking about brushing up on my trig to figure the angles. I had to come up with something easier!

Madratter
01-28-2012, 11:15 AM

I just went through these instructions and they are exactly what I needed. This is great and definitely should go in your tips post. :D :D :D

abaser
01-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Glad it worked for you. One thing I forgot to mention, and you may have figured it out already, but if you have something that's going to be a child of the pivoting part, do the pivots before you link them together. For example, if you make the tail wheel a child of the rudder, when you do the second rotation, you will also rotate the wheel around the rudders object center. It's an easy fix, but an unnecessary one. ;)

Madratter
01-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Glad it worked for you. One thing I forgot to mention, and you may have figured it out already, but if you have something that's going to be a child of the pivoting part, do the pivots before you link them together. For example, if you make the tail wheel a child of the rudder, when you do the second rotation, you will also rotate the wheel around the rudders object center. It's an easy fix, but an unnecessary one. ;)

Another good tip. Fortunately, I didn't have any situations like that. The one thing I did need to figure out was with the rudder I needed to rotate the pivot to the hinge line. Then I needed to rotate the X axis 90 degrees. I knew I was going to need to do that. It was just a matter of whether I would get it right or not. I did. :)

I then imported the whole thing into RF6 and it is flying around with the pivots working just the way I want.

Now I need to figure out mapping so I can actually color this thing. So far, I have only figured out how to map one object (I've been using the vertical fuselage). It comes out black (I could easily change that in photoshop). However, the outline of the unwrapped piece does not show up in the tga. My entire tga file is just a black box. And of course, I really need all the pieces so I can color them, not just the vertical fuselage.

I also haven't quite got the spinner sorted. It shows. However, an error is popping up when the airplane is being loaded. I think it has to do with the physics I am working with. That is the least of my worries for now.

abaser
01-28-2012, 12:21 PM
JEEEEEFFFFFFFFF!!!!! Mapping assistance aisle 5! :p

Where are you mapping, wings or blender?

flexible
01-28-2012, 12:29 PM
jeff uses wings to map

Madratter
01-28-2012, 12:29 PM
JEEEEEFFFFFFFFF!!!!! Mapping assistance aisle 5! :p

Where are you mapping, wings or blender?

I have been mapping in blender. The nice thing about mapping in blender, is they have an unwrap all script that works really great on an object. It makes it super easy.

abaser
01-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Ya, I'm trying to figure out madratters situation. If he is mapping in blender, help will be limited at best.

abaser
01-28-2012, 12:37 PM
I have been mapping in blender. The nice thing about mapping in blender, is they have an unwrap all script that works really great on an object. It makes it super easy.
Beware.........that will cause MAJOR stretching issues. This is an area I'm unfamiliar with in blender right now. If it seems too easy, it usually is.

jeffpn
01-28-2012, 02:38 PM
I'll get back wih you for mapping in Wings. I'm up to my ears at the USAF museum right now. You can check out my Skywalker tute for some pointers in mapping.

Madratter
01-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Well I have now figured out how to map the various objects in Blender, and get the outlines for the various parts as well.

Here is an extremely crude version of my airplane. The texturing is just a blue stripe down the side of the fuselage, but it went where I wanted it and the rest of the aircraft has the test texture.

It still has the spinner error on loading. I know what is causing that, I can fix it, but then for some really weird reason, the spinner ends up off to the side of the prop once it is started and rotates with the prop. :(

Still, I learned a whole lot today. I have to say Blender, while very powerful, is one very fiddly program.

abaser
01-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Your spinner pivot is off. Select the entire spinner and set the object center.done.

Madratter
01-28-2012, 10:37 PM
Your spinner pivot is off. Select the entire spinner and set the object center.done.

Yeah. It turns out that my spinner was slightly -y axis. Thus when using the default pivot the spinner was only in the right place, once a rotation. I added a pivot, and voila, it works :) .

I'm attaching my blender file for those who are curious about what I currently have. The motor/engine/spinner was from Flexible in the parts bin.

You will need to remove the rfx extension.

I have no illusions this is a great piece of work (hence why I'm willing to post it). :rolleyes: This whole thing has been a great learning exercise for me.

jeffpn
01-28-2012, 10:59 PM
Madratter, you are the very first person here who has spelled "voila" correctly! :D

abaser
01-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Would you mind posting your.tga? Your model looks very good to me. Id just like to see how you have it mapped.

Madratter
01-28-2012, 11:50 PM
Would you mind posting your.tga? Your model looks very good to me. Id just like to see how you have it mapped.

Thanks. Attached are both the .tga file (remove the rfx) and my current EA.

abaser
01-29-2012, 12:39 AM
Due to the texture you put on the .tga, I can't see the parts in Gimp. However, from what I see in Blender, it looks like each piece of the model has several pieces that are spread out over the map. Is that correct? Im not getting the UV view I usually get, but that may just be an import thing. Normally, I can see the entire map, but here I only see the part selected. Either way, I see your work in RF (and that's what counts), and I gotta say, nice work for a first model!

Boof69
01-29-2012, 01:34 AM
I just tried out your Edge and it is a great first effort. Congratulations on your first model!
I would suggest that you put a bit of separation between the ailerons and the rest of the model except the hinge line. Just enough do define the aileron.
It's great to see another modeler in the forums. Keep up the good work. :)

Madratter
01-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Due to the texture you put on the .tga, I can't see the parts in Gimp. However, from what I see in Blender, it looks like each piece of the model has several pieces that are spread out over the map. Is that correct? Im not getting the UV view I usually get, but that may just be an import thing. Normally, I can see the entire map, but here I only see the part selected. Either way, I see your work in RF (and that's what counts), and I gotta say, nice work for a first model!

Hmm. I'm surprised Gimp won't read it. I hadn't thought I had done anything unusual with it. I have used Photoshop on it.

You are correct that individual pieces of the model are somewhat spread across the map. I don't know what is usual. Creating the map as a whole was rather arduous. It turns out in blender at least, you have to save the outline for each piece separately (there is a script for saving the outlines). Then you use those outlines when painting your tga. file. I ended up creating a Photoshop image that had the outline for each different part in a separate layer. That way I can see what part of the model I need to paint. There has got to be an easier way, but from what I was reading on the web with blender, that is pretty much what you have to do with blender. I think part of what makes this harder than it has to be is that blender kind of assumes people will use different tga files for the different pieces. RF6 insists you do it all with one file.

Thanks for all the assistance you provided with Blender. I would have been absolutely stymied without it.

Madratter
01-29-2012, 12:20 PM
I just tried out your Edge and it is a great first effort. Congratulations on your first model!
I would suggest that you put a bit of separation between the ailerons and the rest of the model except the hinge line. Just enough do define the aileron.
It's great to see another modeler in the forums. Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks Boof. I think you are right that I should have left a little separation with the ailerons, and also with the top of the rudder. Live and learn.

I did this model as a learning experience. After all, the world doesn't really need yet another generic Edge 540 model.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

abaser
01-29-2012, 12:25 PM
I got your map in Gimp, however, you pasted your foam texture over the entire map so all I can see is that and the areas that you colored for the canopy and the stripes. For example, here is the map for my Electra. All parts are visible. There's nothing wrong with how you did it, except it's near impossible for another user to create a new CS for it. On the other hand, I create my maps solely for the CS I intend to put on it, and dont worry about future projects.

flexible
01-29-2012, 02:24 PM
The way I put the EPP texture on the parts is to put the epp texture tga on a layer over the base tga, then make a new layer or layers over that. then I make the texture layer so I can see through it, then I coop copy each part off the texture layer, and past it to the new parts layer, without moving it. I then add the paint to another layer. Be sure to keep the layers open untill you are finished, then merge them all together.

Madratter
01-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Ok, I have reworked the .tga file so it would be easier to work with. I used a different technique than Flexible suggested. I ended up using the history brush and the magic wand. The actually file I would work with is considerably more elaborate with many layers, etc.

As an aside, what is out upload limit on this site? Some of these files I have been posting are pretty large.

jeffpn
01-29-2012, 03:52 PM
If you post a file that is too big, it will tell you the limit. I think .rfx files have a 20 meg limit.

Madratter
01-29-2012, 04:00 PM
If you post a file that is too big, it will tell you the limit. I think .rfx files have a 20 meg limit.

I meant kind of a lifetime quota sort of thing.

Boof69
01-29-2012, 04:02 PM
80MB is the max.

Boof69
01-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Limitless. :)

jeffpn
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
I meant kind of a lifetime quota sort of thing.
Well if you hit your limit, just create a new identity. Maybe that's what's going on around here. :rolleyes:

flexible
01-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Well if you hit your limit, just create a new identity. Maybe that's what's going on around here. :rolleyes:
Like minds sometimes think alike, hehe.

Madratter
01-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Here is an EA with my latest in terms of both color scheme, and I have totally redone the physics (using the beta release 6.00.030 beta. Suggestions still gladly considered.

Madratter
01-30-2012, 09:00 AM
Here are some screenshots for those who cannot/don't want to load the EA.

jeffpn
01-30-2012, 09:21 AM
What if we don't want to click on the thumbnails? :p

Are you hooked on modeling yet?

Madratter
01-30-2012, 01:48 PM
What if we don't want to click on the thumbnails? :p

Are you hooked on modeling yet?

I'm not sure if I would say I'm hooked, but I did enjoy doing it. I do have my next project chosen. I think I'm going to do a Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak (another flat foam 3d EPP model). I have already taken the photos I need to for the modeling (used a tripod, etc. to minimize distortion).

As I have said before, this model was strictly for learning. It is actually based on a 3 view that isn't even a flat foam plane. I'm surprised that it flies as well as it does given that fact. I'll probably do a little more coloring of this plane, and a few more physics tweaks and then post it for what it is.

I plan to get a little more elaborate with the next build.

jeffpn
01-30-2012, 04:54 PM
I got news for you madratter... you've got it!!! :D

uncle twist
01-30-2012, 10:43 PM
He said Twisted :D

jeffpn
01-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Hey, I built a Twisted, too! :p

abaser
01-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Hey, I gotta twist 40 in the works :p

Madratter
01-31-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey, I gotta twist 40 in the works :p

Another 3d plane to fly. Oh yeah!

Madratter
01-31-2012, 02:54 PM
In order to make further progress on this plane, I kind of need to regress where I am at. I started that last night. I saved copies of everything so I can get back to a known "good" state.

Then I combined the Vertical Stabilizer with the fuselage as Flexible suggested.

I also tried out a method in blender that bosshawg suggested to me for outputting a new map file with all the objects in it. Before I needed to do this object by object and it was a huge pain. The new method is much much easier. My thanks to him for suggesting it.

Since I have deconstructed things to this point, I'm thinking about do some more work on the model before coloring (again).

How do you go about adding working servos and push rods? I know with the servo you would add a servo arm that is on a pivot. I presume you then link this servo arm object to something in the editor. Then the servo arm will operate. That strikes me as the easy part.

The control horn is easy because you just add it as a child to your control surface, and I presume it will move with the control surface.

The hard part to me seems like it would be the push rods. It needs to move with servo arm and control horn, and the angle and location it takes across the body of the plane could be changing, along with the locations of the end points of the control rod. Is there a good way of doing this?

Maybe all of this is just way to much work for a first model, but it would be cool. I remember the McFoamy had at least moving servos. I don't recall for sure about the push rods and control horns.

abaser
01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
With servos, you make the push rod a child of the arm, and the arm the child of the servo. You then define the animation in the editor. Each part is adjustable on the X,Y,Z axis, so you can make them follow each other. The push rod pivot will be at the location of pivot with the arm, and the arm will pivot where it connects to the servo. It sounds like you have a general understanding of how it will work, so Id say go for it. ;)

Madratter
02-01-2012, 09:00 AM
Latest progress is that I worked learning some more of the physics editor last night. I now know how to do moveable pods. I reworked how my rudder and vertical stabilizer work based on Flexible's comments. There is now a counterbalance and the rudder geometry in general is more accurate. In addition the vertical stabilizer has been merged with the fuselage for more accurate geometry.

One thing I don't like is that control surfaces cannot be attached to the fuselage.

I ended up attaching a small stub wing and then the rudder to that.

I realize now, I could do a moveable pod to the fuselage, and then the rudder to that. It would no longer be called a control surface, but I wouldn't need any stubs. Not sure which is better to do.

jeffpn
02-01-2012, 09:07 AM
I am not saying flex is wrong. I am saying I have different thoughts. I disagree that the vstab should be part of the fuselage. Maybe it's modeled that way, initially. Some of my models are like that. I do loopcut every vstab off the fuse, and name it to be its own object. I use ~CS_MVS. KE puts an extra M in the name. I also model counterbalances when called for, of course. I don't define counterbalances in the editor. In my opinion, it's more trouble than it's worth. My opinion is born out of the fact that KE doesn't define counterbalances in the editor. I feel like its their sim. If they don't think it's necessary, who am I to argue?

jeffpn
02-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Afterthought: if you want to do the vstab/rudder flex's way, do this. In the RF editor, add a wing to the fuselage. Rename it vstab or some such. Place it over your vstab, 90 deg dihedral may be required. You cannot assign a component to it, because your vstab is part of the fuselage. Then in the editor, assign a control surface to the vstab. Call it Rudder. You can assign your rudder component to that.

flexible
02-01-2012, 10:18 AM
That is a bad idea jeffrey, you will have Fuselage lift and wing lift to the area of the mmvs.
Put a pod at the hinge line,
add a single wing,
add a control surface, at 100% over 100%.

jeffpn
02-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Well when you convince KE, you'll convince me! ;)

flexible
02-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Not interested in convincing anyone.

jeffpn
02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
Has he convinced you, MR? Because apparently he didn't mean to! :confused:

Madratter
02-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Has he convinced you, MR? Because apparently he didn't mean to! :confused:

Well, I hesitate to jump into the middle of this dog fight. :rolleyes:

But, I do understand what he is driving at and is suggesting here. I'll probably give it a go since, if I understand him right, it isn't that much trouble and would be more accurate.

I will say however, we are kind of down in the noise at this point though. The differences between what I have above and what he is suggesting are going to be pretty minor in terms of how the plane performs. It is more of a esthetic thing than anything at this point.

You might be surprised at what you can add to a plane in the physics editor and have the plane still be flyable. This morning I added a pod and attached a wing to it controlled by the rudder servo. I added it ahead of the COG. This was in addition to the regular rudder I have shown above. I expected the plane to be almost uncontrollable. Not so. It did make the rudder less effective, but it was still very flyable.

Madratter
02-01-2012, 10:58 PM
Actually, what I had already done was very close to what I actually needed. All I needed was the nudge that the control surface could be 100% of the wing. So I added a wing to the airframe called Vertical Tail. Then I added a control surface which was the rudder. I added a pod at the hinge line that rotates with the rudder servo and added the counterbalance. The whole thing works great without any extraneous lift due to overlap.

Madratter
02-02-2012, 06:10 PM
So how do you correctly animate control rods? I understand how to animate the servo arm and control horns. However, I have little clue as to how you animate the control rod. From looking at the McFoamy G5, there it was attached as a pod under the servo arm. I get that. But where do you place your pivot point so it will go mostly back and forth instead of rotating? At infinity it would rotate huge amounts. Somewhere along the control rod it will still rotate quite a bit. I'm just not getting it :confused: .

phrank
02-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Use 'da PODS to rotate it back to level, in the end it looks like it's pushing/pulling.
Pivot is at the control horn hole.
One of the guys had a walkthrough a couple years back, let me see if I can find it.

Boof69
02-02-2012, 06:20 PM
adding another movable pod for the rods that rotate them in the opposite direction from the servoarm they're attached to will accomplish the desired effect.

Madratter
02-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks guys. Thinking about it a little more, I believe I understand what you are saying. Proof one way or another will be tonight when I try it.

jeffpn
02-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Here's a screenshot showing the McFoamy aileron servo arms and the 2 pushrods connected to it. The arrows are the pivot location, and orientation. I also get good results just setting the orientation to the global, instead of making it parallel to an object. The push rods' pivots are placed where they go through the aileron servo arm. The rest of the rotation definitions happen in RF. This is all you have to do to set the animation in the 3D model.

Madratter
02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Here's a screenshot showing the McFoamy aileron servo arms and the 2 pushrods connected to it. The arrows are the pivot location, and orientation. I also get good results just setting the orientation to the global, instead of making it parallel to an object. The push rods' pivots are placed where they go through the aileron servo arm. The rest of the rotation definitions happen in RF. This is all you have to do to set the animation in the 3D model.

Ok. This is absolutely baffling me. I'm doing what I think you are saying, but it just isn't working. Specifically, The control rod is pivoting like I want at the pivot point that is originally where it joins the servo arm. But as soon as I move the servo arm, the control rod is not following it. It is staying in place. :mad:

Attached is a screenshot of what is happening. I have the control rod under the servo arm in the physics and both are moveable pods. I just don't get it. :confused:

jeffpn
02-02-2012, 08:40 PM
In Blender (I think that's what you are using), you have to make the push rod a child of the servo arm. Then it will follow the servo arm.

Madratter
02-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Just thought of something. Maybe I need to make the pushrod a child of the servo arm. Is that it?

Madratter
02-02-2012, 08:42 PM
In Blender (I think that's what you are using), you have to make the push rod a child of the servo arm. Then it will follow the servo arm.

Yes! Thanks Jeff. I'll give that a try.

Madratter
02-02-2012, 11:58 PM
I made some good progress tonight. I finally got my rudder servo arms working the way I wanted. BTW, the servo, control rod, and horns come from the parts bin and were created by Abaser.

In addition, I needed to figure out how to cut a hole into an object in Blender and I got that figured out as well. So now my servo arm isn't embedded in the middle of foam.

Now I need to add servos, rods, and horns for the aileron and elevator.

Here is the latest screenshot.

Madratter
02-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Another progress report. I got the elevator servo, control horn, pushrod, etc. installed. I also enlarged the ailerons so they have more bite in a hover, and the plane has a quicker roll rate. I edited the physics to match.

Attached are a screenshot and an EA with what I have so far. I'm pretty pleased with how well it flies with the modified ailerons. :D

That's probably a wrap for the night. I need to work on my real Twisted Hobbys foamies, including my Twisted Hobbys Edge 540. I smacked its nose a little too hard tonight when flying it.

Madratter
02-04-2012, 08:29 PM
More progress, but I'm really stumped by the latest problem. I have installed the ailerons servo and the two control rods going to the control horns.

All 4 clevises spawn in the correct location within RF6. They are children of the control rods. However, the control rods themselves spawn at some really odd angle. They aren't like this when modeled (in Blender) and it is driving me crazy. :(

A screenshot below shows the problem. Any ideas?

flexible
02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
This is the way the linking looks on the servo set in Max.
The horn is linked to the control surface. The push rod is linked to the pick up point on the servo arm.
No pivot on the horn.

flexible
02-04-2012, 08:49 PM
Here are the pivots on the Ailerons.

Madratter
02-04-2012, 08:50 PM
This is the way the linking looks on the servo set in Max.
The horn is linked to the control surface. The push rod is linked to the pick up point on the servo arm.
No pivot on the horn.

Flex, I'm pretty sure the problem isn't hierarchy. I've figured that out with the other servos. And The clevises are working properly here (and they are children of the control rods). The problem is just that the angle of the control rod objects themselves are really crazy, and don't match up with the clevises at all.

flexible
02-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Check the location of the pivots on the linkage. If the pivot is missing or inthe wrong location, the linkage will spawn in the wrong location.

Madratter
02-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Check the location of the pivots on the linkage. If the pivot is missing or inthe wrong location, the linkage will spawn in the wrong location.

Here is what I have in blender. I think the pivot is right.

flexible
02-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Seance I do not use blender, I can not tell where you have the Pivots. Have you already put the pods on it.

Madratter
02-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Seance I do not use blender, I can not tell where you have the Pivots. Have you already put the pods on it.

The Pivot is the pink lines. I have put the pods on it. And like I say, the clevises work properly. You would think that if the control rod itself was going to mess up (which is their parent), they would be totally messed up.

flexible
02-04-2012, 09:21 PM
You must have done something wrong, to let the push rod move separate from the clevises.
With the controller stick centered, the linkage should be in a neutral position, unless you have changed the pods.

Madratter
02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
You must have done something wrong, to let the push rod move separate from the clevises.
With the controller stick centered, the linkage should be in a neutral position, unless you have changed the pods.

The control rod was moving with the clevises. Just the angle was wrong.

I think I have figured it out. When I cleared the parent for the control rod (the servo arm) and told it to keep transformations, the control rod popped to the crazy angle. I'm pretty sure I know how to fix that.

Thanks for the help.

flexible
02-04-2012, 09:44 PM
Don't forget to post the fix, so others that look here in the future, find answers to there woes.

abaser
02-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Join the clevices and the rod together, CTRL+J in object mode. They all should be one piece. Then set a pivot at the servo arm location.

abaser
02-04-2012, 10:10 PM
Here's what mine look like.This is looking from the right side (num pad 3). X is up and Y is forward.

Madratter
02-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Don't forget to post the fix, so others that look here in the future, find answers to there woes.

Good idea.

It turned out to be what I last said. In Blender, when you have a child parent relationship, you can end up with transformations on the children being hidden within Blender. However, those transformations still show in RealFlight.

This becomes obvious if you do an ALT-P (clear parent) and then take the "Clear and Keep Transformation (Clear Track)" option. If when you do this, the child moves, you have trouble.

The solution is to move, rotate and scale the object back to where it needs to be. Then create the parent-child relationship again.

Madratter
02-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Here's what mine look like.This is looking from the right side (num pad 3). X is up and Y is forward.

Thanks Andy. Got it sorted.

abaser
02-04-2012, 10:15 PM
:confused: :confused: HUH :confused: :confused:

Madratter
02-04-2012, 10:43 PM
:confused: :confused: HUH :confused: :confused:

Are you confused by what I was saying about clearing the parent and keeping transformations? Or is it something else I said?

abaser
02-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Ya, it's the transformation talk that got me. All I ever do is set the pivots then parent. What are you transforming?

Madratter
02-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Ya, it's the transformation talk that got me. All I ever do is set the pivots then parent. What are you transforming?

Well, I think it considers any rotation, scaling, or moving a transformation. I'm not sure how the transformations got different but they did. It may have something to do with the way I imported your servo stuff and then have been duplicating it and moving it around. At any rate, if you don't see a problem you don't have it. If you do, this is the solution.

abaser
02-04-2012, 11:02 PM
wait a minute..........are you parenting before pivots? I can't figure out why the rod moved when you cleared the parent though.

Madratter
02-04-2012, 11:11 PM
wait a minute..........are you parenting before pivots? I can't figure out why the rod moved when you cleared the parent though.

I probably did with the control rods. I take it that is a bad thing? :p

abaser
02-04-2012, 11:22 PM
If you parent BEFORE setting your pivots, when you rotate back to normal in object mode (second rotation), you also move the children the same amount. The children are not moved the first rotation because you are in edit mode and only the part being edited is manipulated. Usually, in your case, you would notice that the rod would have been moved though.

I just can't figure out why your rod snapped out of place when you cleared the parent, and why your clevices are separate from the rod. If thats the rod i uploaded, it should be one piece.

Boof69
02-04-2012, 11:56 PM
I think what has happened is that the local pivot of the control rods are actually different than the displayed global pivot. In max anyways when any geometry is first created it's pivot is set to the global axis orientation. When you rotate the object it's pivot follows and becomes misaligned with the global axis. Max has an easy tool that allows you to move and rotate the local pivot of any object independently of the object itself. I have no idea what you have to do in blender to get that alignment back but if I forget to realign the pivot I get the same described results in RF. Just wanted to weigh in I'm sure max and blender are not directly relatable. :)

Madratter
02-05-2012, 08:45 AM
I think what has happened is that the local pivot of the control rods are actually different than the displayed global pivot. In max anyways when any geometry is first created it's pivot is set to the global axis orientation. When you rotate the object it's pivot follows and becomes misaligned with the global axis. Max has an easy tool that allows you to move and rotate the local pivot of any object independently of the object itself. I have no idea what you have to do in blender to get that alignment back but if I forget to realign the pivot I get the same described results in RF. Just wanted to weigh in I'm sure max and blender are not directly relatable. :)

I think what is happening is that I was parenting the objects too soon. I was then moving them into place, scaling, rotating etc. And Realflight doesn't see that. It still sees the original position, scale, and rotation. It would be nice if there was a way in Blender to set that stuff to where the object actually is now as a child of the parent. And there might be, I just don't know what it is. Ah well. At least I now know what to avoid in the future.

Madratter
02-05-2012, 08:47 AM
If you parent BEFORE setting your pivots, when you rotate back to normal in object mode (second rotation), you also move the children the same amount. The children are not moved the first rotation because you are in edit mode and only the part being edited is manipulated. Usually, in your case, you would notice that the rod would have been moved though.

I just can't figure out why your rod snapped out of place when you cleared the parent, and why your clevices are separate from the rod. If thats the rod i uploaded, it should be one piece.

Actually, it is good that the clevises are a separate part from the rod. That way, I can (and did) change the length of the rods, without affecting the size of the clevises.

abaser
02-05-2012, 08:59 AM
You can still change the length of the rod if they are one piece. In edit mode, select all of the clevice verts and press "G" move them how you need to and the rod length will follow. ;)

Madratter
02-05-2012, 09:12 AM
You can still change the length of the rod if they are one piece. In edit mode, select all of the clevice verts and press "G" move them how you need to and the rod length will follow. ;)

Doh. Of course. :o

Madratter
02-06-2012, 11:53 PM
More progress to report. I have now added a battery, ESC (thanks to AlternativeRC), and Receiver. I cut a hole in the back so the elevator is freely moving without being unrealistically stuck in the foam while doing so.

I then totally redid the uv unwrap for the model. That was a huge but necessary pain. I think I have now finished working on any part of the model that will change in terms of the unwrapping. I might still add or move a wire or so, but those won't be in the map.

I think it is time to start doing the CS.

Here is a screenshot:

Madratter
02-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Question about doing the coloring of control horns. Do you map those, or do most people just assign a solid color to them?

phrank
02-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Entirely up to you.

There is no wrong way to map/bake a model.

jeffpn
02-07-2012, 07:06 PM
There is no wrong way to map/bake a model.
Yes there is. You have to map something!

I bake parts that are solid colors. Save map space for the other stuff.

Madratter
02-09-2012, 12:06 AM
I have started creating my cs for this model. I'm probably crazy, but I have been concentrating at first on things like servos, receiver, and battery that I need to take images of and manipulate into the map. It's fiddly work and it really makes me appreciate the job someone like Numbskelly does.

Boof69
02-09-2012, 12:12 AM
Way above average work for a first timer. :confused: What gives? Did you do a bunch of studying before you asked for help? It's looking great. Keep it up. :)

Madratter
02-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Way above average work for a first timer. :confused: What gives? Did you do a bunch of studying before you asked for help? It's looking great. Keep it up. :)

Thanks Boof. I appreciate the kind remarks. I'm just stubborn, read a lot, and I'm not afraid to ask questions. I will say that if I'd been aware of the amount of time this was going to take, I might have thought twice. I knew it would be significant, but I don't even want to think about how many hours have gone into this model. And I know at the end of the day, it is a first effort, and probably won't get flown by very many people. But I'll enjoy it, and I've enjoyed the process of doing it.

flexible
02-09-2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24817&page=1&pp=15
This is where you are headed. Some posts don't tie together because a modeler, whose ego got in the way of his brain, and got banned, deleted his threads, and posts, and files. Funny thing is, months after he was banned, his files showed back up. How you do DAT?
Took me 1500 MHs to get the first model into RF, and that was just to get started.

abaser
02-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Just remember, you do this for fun. There's no time restrictions either. When learning on your own, it's a slow process. However, as you learn, things become second nature and your models will go by faster. Just wait till you do a cockpit :p

jeffpn
02-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Flex, he did not delete his models. He couldn't. His models all had CSs and AVs on them. It was impossible for him to delete his files. I did watch him as he deleted his threads and posts. Not to mention I don't think you could log in after being banned. That's what "banned" means.

Madratter
02-09-2012, 10:59 PM
I have now created the color scheme for the model. I'm about done with this one. How does one change the color of the propeller?

Overall, I'm very pleased with how well this flies without faking the physics. It does nice clean knife edges without any coupling and hovers very nicely too. :D

As befits a foamy, it has fully working servos, pushrods, and control horns.

Portions of this model came from Flexible (the motor), Abaser (the servos, pushrods, and control horns), and AlternativeRC (the ESC).

Attached is my latest screenshot and an EA for what I currently have.

abaser
02-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Change the prop. That's the only way I know.

Maj. Numbskully
02-09-2012, 11:08 PM
abasers correct, prop color can 't be changed on a CS.......
nice looking bird for a first timer madratter :D

phrank
02-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Nice bird, foam looks a bit too thick for the size of the aircraft, but overall very cool. :cool:

Madratter
02-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Change the prop. That's the only way I know.

Thanks guys for taking a look.

I have to admit, I cannot figure out how to change the prop in the editor. I can find it under the visual mesh, but it won't let me do anything with it. Any clues?

phrank
02-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Propeller type, you got sloflyer(orange) apc electric (grey), etc...
The prop type actually makes a difference in your power plant.

Madratter
02-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Propeller type, you got sloflyer(orange) apc electric (grey), etc...
The prop type actually makes a difference in your power plant.

Thanks. That did the trick. :)

Madratter
02-10-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm ready to upload what I have to the swap pages, but when I click on submit file, all I'm getting is an area for describing the file. Am I missing something? I am logged in. I managed this before. Now I can't figure it out.

flexible
02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Something is missisg.

jeffpn
02-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Can anyone view flex's pic on an iPhone? It disappears on me when I try to zoom in or pan.

abaser
02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Can anyone view flex's pic on an iPhone? It disappears on me when I try to zoom in or pan.

Stay zoomed out on the page and select the pic. Once the box pops up, tap the pic again.

Madratter
02-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Something is missisg.

OK. I'm feeling better. It isn't just me. :eek:

jeffpn
02-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Stay zoomed out on the page and select the pic. Once the box pops up, tap the pic again.

That works. Thanks.

abaser
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Works for pc and droid as well.

flexible
02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
May be uploading files is a thing of the past. O well, fun while it lasted. I guess there is no hurry on those EAs I've been working on.

Madratter
02-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I have uploaded the plane to the swap pages. It is here:

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=16239

I want to thank everyone for the great help and encouragement to do this. :D

opjose
02-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Kudos for sticking with it!

Good work!