PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Space Shuttle Orbiter with Boosters

mwilson914
01-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Since I don't have a real official build thread going on anything for 6 yet, I thought I would give this a go.

One challenge...

How would a person go about setting up the landing gears. The default position is in the retracted position. The shuttle will be setup on the landing pad initially, so I assume the landing gears will be in the down position no matter what and you'll just need to flip the switch back and fourth to get them retracted before launch. Another thing is don't set them up at all with the proper naming conventions and add moveable pods to animate the gear doors and landing gears. I don't like the sound of that one.

jeffpn
01-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Looks good. Nice to see you back with a build thread. See if you can finish it before we go to the moon again!!

mwilson914
01-29-2012, 09:52 PM
To Jeff:

It will probably be out a couple years before the Sky Crane is released.

In all seriousness though, my favorite part of the Space Shuttle model is the dual purpose rudder/speed break. Of all things that can get you excited about a space shuttle model for the Sim, it takes me to become overly fascinated with the split rudder design. There is definitely something wrong with me.

td9cowboy
01-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Now we know where you were going with all those little Estes rocket experiments including the chute. Very Cool!! What scale are we talking about for the shuttle itself?

willsonman
01-29-2012, 11:07 PM
Well, what says there only has to be one set of gear? Say one set breaks off due to pure awesomeness of 3d maneuvers and the shear awesome nature of the maneuvers breaks them off in an awesome display... then poof... out comes a second set... on a different channel... these ones are awesome proof.

mwilson914
01-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Now we know where you were going with all those little Estes rocket experiments including the chute. Very Cool!! What scale are we talking about for the shuttle itself?

1:40 is the scale of the UHS Space Shuttle shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qGjf_qX5ZM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I pasted that link from my phone's YouTube player so hopefully it works on the PC. And, yes this is where I was going with the Estes Rockets tests. I can't explain the anvil however, as it was just fun to do and see if I could make it visually realistic. I have an AV of that one which looks like the ones launched on the Science Channel.

mwilson914
01-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Well, what says there only has to be one set of gear? Say one set breaks off due to pure awesomeness of 3d maneuvers and the shear awesome nature of the maneuvers breaks them off in an awesome display... then poof... out comes a second set... on a different channel... these ones are awesome proof.

Willsonman, I am glad you have been my right hand guy on these rockets. I can't wait to get the first shuttle into the Sim. Your idea on the gears sounds like it should work. I need gear components for the launch pad so the shuttle will sit upright for launch so we'll see how everything works out.

willsonman
01-30-2012, 06:58 AM
I think what you will mostly run into is a name game. NUP values as well will confuse RF which gear is which. You may want to strategize with pods just to have a good backup plan in case things don't go the way you want them to.

mwilson914
02-03-2012, 10:02 AM
A few shots of the current progress.

mwilson914
02-05-2012, 04:29 PM
The collision meshes are almost done for every possible part. There are a few details which still need created and I need to figure out how I'm going to make the launch pad look.

I'm also really wanting to use springy gears for a scale landing, but I can't do that if I have to use moveable pods for the gears since I need the shuttle to spawn upright with the launch pad planted firmly on the ground. I will most likely create something without landing gears that lands on the belly for initial tests. The real world RC Space Shuttle I'm inspired by, lands on it's belly. However, I am Matt Wilson, and I am persistant (at driving myself crazy) so we'll see what happens. Besides, I have willsonman backing me up with physics.

I can't wait to get this imported into the sim. I have a .tga assigned now so it won't be long to get some test EA's created.

Also, I am aware the gears and gear doors are open. :)

fender1
02-05-2012, 11:08 PM
Ooooo Ahhhhh, looks awsome. Keep up the good work!!!!

mwilson914
02-07-2012, 02:30 PM
I've been looking at additional real world pictures of the space shuttle which re-enforces key characteristics I want to achieve with my model. There are a few things I want to re-work, but overall I'm satisfied with the dimensions. The initial 3 view I was working from had major flaws I only found out later on, so the dimensions were off right from the beginning which is why I recreated the fuselage once and the wings twice.

I admit I was also rushing things initially on the space shuttle because it was the week of our winter storms and during the time we actually had power it was constantly flickering on and off for many days. I completely lost work I had done on the shuttle on four separate occasions, but I got a lot accomplished despite these issues.

I will be touching up the tips of the wings to be more accurate and I finally have an excellent reference for the bottom of the fuselage and wings. This allows me to accurately recreate the positioning of the wheel wells, gear doors and landing gears.

I am thinking the default texture for this model will be 4096x4096 which I know will cause some people importing issues while making the .dds files. I just think it would work out well to achieve the level of detail on all the parts ranging from the Orbiter, external tank and solid rocket boosters, and the landing pad. The shuttle will be also created as a separate EA without the launch pad, external tank and boosters. This version will have it's own graphics re-sized and re-positioned to utilize the available space on the .tga.

The reason to create a separate EA of the Orbiter is to have the best flying model possible to glide into a landing. It may be bungee launched or take off from the runway or both. I'm not sure.

I am also considering a separate static airport object with a highly detailed launch pad which will be it's own model. Who knows, I could end up going all out on this one by making a functional space shuttle crawler transporter on it's way with the shuttle to the launch pad. I've never created animated airport objects before, so this will be interesting.

mwilson914
02-07-2012, 02:34 PM
...as an added note, the initial EA I was playing with last night flies horrible and doesn't launch very well. I obviously haven't had time to really work on the physics, so that will change to some degree and I'm sure Willsonman will add his magic to the AV.

However, If I compare my model in the sim to the Estes model rocket I had back in 1987/1988, it launches remarkably similar and hits the ground immediately after takeoff with the rocket still burning just like my Estes rocket did. It was a horrible flying model which was eventually loaded with crushed sparklers and a couple crushed up model rocket engines. It didn't survive.

mwilson914
02-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Willsonman,

I'll send you an email with some additional thoughts. You will most likely love them since you seem to have the same excitement as I have for this project.

Maj. Numbskully
02-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I am thinking the default texture for this model will be 4096x4096 which I know will cause some people importing issues while making the .dds files. I just think it would work out well to achieve the level of detail on all the parts ranging from the Orbiter, external tank and solid rocket boosters, and the landing pad. The shuttle will be also created as a separate EA without the launch pad, external tank and boosters. This version will have it's own graphics re-sized and re-positioned to utilize the available space on the .tga.

dds errors be dammed ...there are workarounds

You have a nak for picking large aircraft B-1, B-58, Skycrane and that requires smaller parts on the map to fit them all in ....without a 4096 CS any kind of detail is out the door from the get-go
detailed rivets for example really cant be done below 2-3 pixels with out them looking like squares ;)
If you go larger than 2-3 PX on large aircraft they are out of scale to the aircraft and start to look like they belong an a battle ship .....look At KEs Skycrane to see what I mean
on your average single seater I usually make the rivets 4-6 pixels on a 4096 depending on where on the aircraft they are placed (wing roots typically have larger rivets than on the rest or the wing)

mwilson914
02-07-2012, 07:10 PM
In the event I do actually attempt to make a dynamic AP object of the Space shuttle Crawler, I thought about some issues to be overcome.

First...We'll keep things simple and want no collision meshes so that each AP object has accurate shaped collision surfaces.

There appears to be 56 shoes per track: http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000.2V7Nq0IpsQ/s/650/BUR1004-28-KennedySpCtr-0667.jpg

From that picture their unique shape gives me an initial assessment of how many triangles each track shoe requires and that magic number is 90 initially. From that estimate I do the math.

56 shoes per track (this number could actually be a couple more but we'll leave it at this for now) multiplied by 90 triangles= 5,040 triangles just for the track shoes alone. There are two sets of tracks per corner of the crawler, so that brings the polygon count to 40,320 triangles--There is a lot more to the model than just track shoes.

The way to do this is by multiple AP objects working in unison to complete the illusion. It would take a lot of work, but it won't stop me from trying.

mwilson914
02-07-2012, 10:23 PM
I got it working more correctly!!! Both Versions.

I got the rocket booster version gliding really well and the landing gear version doesn't feel too different now, so it's just a matter of having the two because I can't have landing gears function on the rocket booster version.

brields
02-07-2012, 10:30 PM
(spam)Is it done yet? Is it done yet?

mwilson914
02-08-2012, 02:22 AM
I figured out the issue with the landing gears and launching with the boosters attached, so that all works now. I did find that the physics gets confused with the split rudder dual purpose air brake design. It acts as if only the right rudder is deflected when in air brake mode. I checked and it is working properly in the physics model. It looks cool on the ground, but doesn't work as it should, so I may need to eliminate this feature. I will send it to KE since it is technically a bug, but I understand I push the sim way past it's limits sometimes. I mean, I am the one that made an anvil for the sim.

jeffpn
02-08-2012, 07:23 AM
I mean, I am the one that made an anvil for the sim.
Yes you did. After I made an anvil for the sim! :p

mwilson914
02-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Yes you did. After I made an anvil for the sim! :p

Touche. :)

But I made a cardboard cutout of myself before you, though I never placed it on the swaps.

mwilson914
02-09-2012, 02:49 PM
I found a wonderful model of the Space Shuttle with working launch pad and surrounding area on Turbosquid. It's only just under the 4 million polygon mark and I don't know if that is actually counting triangles or not.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-nasa-launch-complex-39b/598142

I'm just using this example in a plea to Knife Edge to increase the polygon limit and to no longer require collision meshes because creating one for something like this would really be difficult and time consuming. People don't need more than 1 frame per day for the average PC setup to fly in the sim right? Also starting the sim might take up to 16 hours, but people would think it's worth it right?

It's like, "Hey I got this awesome new setup for Realflight with cloud rendering and physics processing via a server farm. I'm getting 7 FPS--Beat that!"

Joking aside, that model is incredible.

phrank
02-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Impressive, and just over $1K.
How many car payments is that? :D

mwilson914
02-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Impressive, and just over $1K.
How many car payments is that? :D

About 5 months. :( Guess I won't be getting an already made Shuttle with a chuck of Florida modeled in the mix.

andy29847
02-09-2012, 04:12 PM
2.) Since both Jeff and I work for telecom, ......

Me too. 40 years on Feb 21.

willsonman
02-09-2012, 04:17 PM
Then there is free
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=22c70cf9c55761ee589c07868201b17e&prevstart=60

3d warehouse has all sorts of objects you can explore.

mwilson914
02-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Well, I found some really good reference photos of the cockpit windows and their physical construction is a lot more clear to me now. I also found a few higher quality 3-views and blueprint drawings, so since I've had time to thoroughly study these pictures and drawings, I've become very unhappy with my windows.

I know my windows don't look too bad, and they really are passable, but I just absolutely HATE inaccuracy and rather than continue on, I'm going to remodel this area of the Space Shuttle. Seeing just how flat-faced the window sections are now helps me plan out the steps in my head which I will take to remodel this section.

I will find time over the weekend or tonight after the family goes to bed so I can work for more than 5 minutes without being pulled away. All I need to do is detach-clone the polygons from the front section of the fuselage as a separate new object and work on that. I can re-attach the adjacent vertexes/polygons to the fuselage after deleting the necessary polygons.

*I also found out the Left SG gear door is larger than the right gear door, but these are easy to re-create.

mwilson914
02-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Newly formed windows. And, yes, I have been awake since 2:00AM Friday morning. I'll have time to take a nap tonight before I begin my on-call Sunday. The next time I'll get to go to bed is Tuesday! Whoo freaking HOOO!

jeffpn
02-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Are the panes flat, no twist? If so, Wow!

mwilson914
02-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Yes the window panes are flat and it was time consuming figuring it out, but next time I have odd windows like this to do, I will breeze through it. I will eventually create a tutorial.

I also have a hands off physics AV now and it will travel as you would expect a scale model rocket shuttle to fly.

I know there are shading issues on the fuselage, but they will be cleaned up before the model is finished. I also corrected the steering gear doors this morning and made the left gear door larger than the right as it should be.

jeffpn
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I love the smoke plumes. There's alot of shading issues though. You should watch that. Maybe flex can help you work them out!!

mwilson914
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm also going to attempt a few techniques on created a simple shuttle gantry (launch pad). I don't know how well it will work and there will be very little room on the .tga for mapping after the shuttle, external tank and boosters are mapped. I would just use material color for the gantry, but I honestly don't want to max out the poly count creating all the scafolding, which there wouldn't be enough polys to do that anyhow. I will need to rely on the alpha channel and duplicating faces which share space on the .tga.

Also, I tested the shuttle in G5.5 and the 4096x4096 .tga caused RF to crash. I've not had a single problem in Realflight 6, so maybe there will be a special G5.5 version with a low resolution .tga. I know I will get nothing but 1 ratings because people won't be able to create the .dds files and they will say mean horrible things about how I don't know how to CS or model or ride a bike. They will also call me a pig-parker. That isn't nice at all.

mwilson914
02-11-2012, 05:10 PM
I love the smoke plumes. There's alot of shading issues though. You should watch that. Maybe flex can help you work them out!!

LOL. What shading issues? Oh, yeah. Those shading issues on the fuselage.

maxx2504
02-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi !

I like it !! Sweet idea ! :) Keep up the good work !

maxx

brields
02-11-2012, 10:36 PM
I can't wait for the shuttle to be completed. I call dibs on creating the Columbia C.S.

Maj. Numbskully
02-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Make sure its complete with dent in the wing from the foam insulation strike
I can show you how to do that on the bump map

brields
02-11-2012, 11:04 PM
No no no no no. The C.S. will be based on pre-last-flight status.
I don't ant to bring up what killed 7 astronauts.

I watched that shuttle burn that Saturday morning in 2003.

Mag., if you want to post your own Columbia CS, you do that.

Boof69
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM
oy vey!

mwilson914
02-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Make sure its complete with dent in the wing from the foam insulation strike
I can show you how to do that on the bump map

LOL! Not the tragedy, but just this whole thing...wow!

The horrible things that could be done with material ~BREAKAPART.

mwilson914
02-12-2012, 12:16 AM
No no no no no. The C.S. will be based on pre-last-flight status.
I don't ant to bring up what killed 7 astronauts.

I watched that shuttle burn that Saturday morning in 2003.

Mag., if you want to post your own Columbia CS, you do that.

Just to be clear, I want the Atlantis scheme for numerous reasons. I am sad the shuttle program is no more. I have personally been down to The John F. Kennedy Space Center multiple times and I have seen both launch pads with shuttles Endeavor and Columbia attached. I almost got to see one of them launch but the lift-off was delayed. I don't remember which one it was.

Atlantis is good to commemorate due to it serving the very final shuttle flight ever. There would be too much to live up to in my own opinion to make the Columbia or the Challenger. I did watch the Challenger blow up on live TV when I was in 2nd grade. I was also actually down at the Space Center the first time in my life while the shuttle fleet was still grounded after the Challenger incident.

I had already asked maj if he would be interested, but I have also been considering doing this one 100%. I don't know for sure yet.

jeffpn
02-12-2012, 12:23 AM
You were in second grade in 1986? I was 2 years out of high school! :p

mwilson914
02-12-2012, 12:33 AM
You were in second grade in 1986? I was 2 years out of high school! :p

So let's see. I am 34 now and you are...

OLD! :p

brields
02-12-2012, 12:38 AM
In my defense, the Columbia was the first shuttle to go into orbit.

mwilson914
02-12-2012, 02:38 AM
Jeff,

You made me remember I turn 35 this coming September 14th (hence 914 in my username.) I will be of age to run for presidency so I am going to write my name on the ballet this November.

Matt Wilson for President 2012! I'm a Realpublican.

mwilson914
02-12-2012, 02:39 AM
In my defense, the Columbia was the first shuttle to go into orbit.

I understand, but in my defense it is my Space Shuttle. :D

willsonman
02-12-2012, 08:40 AM
Can you shoot the AV my way. I spent a few hours yesterday playing around getting a feel for things. I have some ideas but I would like to see what you have since you got it to work first.

jeffpn
02-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Don't forget to adjust the CoP, willsonman!! ;)

flexible
02-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Concerning two sets of gear. The Hobbiestar 60, I have as two versions in one file. The trike/nitro the gear is RG/LG/SG, while the taildragger is RG_T/SG_T. IT will spon on the RG/LG/SG.
Nup values will be looking for something to match up with, so my two sents says, get you're nameing on the gear you're landing with worked in the nup values, and in should work.

mwilson914
02-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Can you shoot the AV my way. I spent a few hours yesterday playing around getting a feel for things. I have some ideas but I would like to see what you have since you got it to work first.

I will get something over your way before long. No need to re-invent the wheel.

mwilson914
02-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Email sent. I also have this EA uploaded onto my password protected area of my site. "Hidden Gems"

mwilson914
02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
little progress...

12oclockhigh
02-13-2012, 06:00 PM
This EA-todate is really cool. I have not had a successful landing yet. All have not survived... Really need some rocket sound...

Really nice.

willsonman
02-13-2012, 06:59 PM
yeah, so I've been able to get things going fairly well by modifying the thrust of the solid boosters as well as the liquid ones to get it to fire straight. The main issue with glide path seems to be indicative of manual CG adjustment. My manually adjusting this is seems to maintain once all parts are detached. So, by leaving it to 0 on all axes and leaving drag and all at 100% you can modify launch path by adjusting the thrusts. Trying to keep it simple but I'm not very good with gyros and I feel this will need one.

Deewng
02-13-2012, 10:42 PM
The collision meshes are almost done for every possible part. There are a few details which still need created and I need to figure out how I'm going to make the launch pad look.

I'm also really wanting to use springy gears for a scale landing, but I can't do that if I have to use moveable pods for the gears since I need the shuttle to spawn upright with the launch pad planted firmly on the ground. I will most likely create something without landing gears that lands on the belly for initial tests. The real world RC Space Shuttle I'm inspired by, lands on it's belly. However, I am Matt Wilson, and I am persistant (at driving myself crazy) so we'll see what happens. Besides, I have willsonman backing me up with physics.

I can't wait to get this imported into the sim. I have a .tga assigned now so it won't be long to get some test EA's created.

Also, I am aware the gears and gear doors are open. :)

I know this is probably too late in the game but did you use the NUPS instyead of the movable pods. If Not I ccould set those up for you.

:D

Deewng
02-13-2012, 10:44 PM
instyead is instead

Deewng
02-13-2012, 11:00 PM
I got it working more correctly!!! Both Versions.

I got the rocket booster version gliding really well and the landing gear version doesn't feel too different now, so it's just a matter of having the two because I can't have landing gears function on the rocket booster version.

WHY not. If I missed something please explain or direct me to what I missed.

mwilson914
02-13-2012, 11:13 PM
WHY not. If I missed something please explain or direct me to what I missed.

I am usig the NUP values on the landing gears. The only issue with this is when you spawn, the landing gears are always in the un-retracted position, so you always have to flip the switch before lift-off.

I'm not sure if you are using the latest version of the shuttle or not. I have it uploaded onto my site. I've made changes since the last one uploaded this morning, but check back daily and you'll find I've been replacing the previous EA with a better one, both in physics and visual quality.

I'll be exporting another tonight. I've started in on the cockpit details.

Fun2av8RC
02-13-2012, 11:42 PM
This EA-todate is really cool. I have not had a successful landing yet. All have not survived... Really need some rocket sound...

Really nice.

Check it out .... I Got Lucky!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZPOlDxjcvA&context=C30e8a61ADOEgsToPDskJRIQck-LnjM9w-20TZhsYS

jeffpn
02-14-2012, 07:19 AM
The only issue with this is when you spawn, the landing gears are always in the un-retracted position, so you always have to flip the switch before lift-off.

I didn't care for that change when KE implemented that. I think the gear should be in the position that the switch indicates. That's how real models work. You don't get a pass on the switch only because you are taking off.

12oclockhigh
02-14-2012, 08:16 AM
OK, loved the video... Need rocket plume until main tank cutoff. Have you been flying from the cockpit? Really great.. Sure wish I had good telemetry and a HSI. :)

Agree with Jeff on the gear switch, but the reason they did it is they ran out of switches for the combat aspect of Real Flight. Which leads me to my other suggestion.... 18 channel Real Flight controller "Interlink Super Duper Elite" :) Or, maybe they could add an "auto gear down property on reset" property to the plane editor?

Fun2av8RC
02-14-2012, 08:57 AM
OK, loved the video... Need rocket plume until main tank cutoff. Have you been flying from the cockpit? Really great.. Sure wish I had good telemetry and a HSI. :)

Agree with Jeff on the gear switch, but the reason they did it is they ran out of switches for the combat aspect of Real Flight. Which leads me to my other suggestion.... 18 channel Real Flight controller "Interlink Super Duper Elite" :)

Actually, I have flown from the cockpit - it is amazing. The chase plane view is awesome as well. .

Lets say for laughs that you had your own DX18 (http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM18000&view=test) then of course you would have more switches, dials and knobs to play with.... But then I just answered my own question as i was musing .... can't use what Matt doesn't program in.

But just for the sake of learning something new here. If Matt did add electric seats for the pilot and I plugged in my DX18 to the Interlink and the seats were on channel 15 - would the Interlink pass those signals through to RF and allow me to adjust the seats?

But all and all a lot of fun to fly!

mwilson914
02-15-2012, 09:06 AM
I've uploaded a new EA with today's date 2-15-2012 to my password protected area of my site. For those that have the password, download and have fun. I think I may re-attach the wings to the fuselage to correct an issue I created with the fronts of the wings. You'll see the problem upon close inspection.

The shading errors I've had with the fuselage where the wings attach cause me to go OCD on my model. This isn't exactly the week for me to be fine-tuning anything.

I'm on-call and I don't sleep when I'm on-call because of a thing I call "Pager-Shock". I also work a LOT of hours when I'm on-call. I had wrote more ramblings but just deleted them all because it's irrelevant. Will try to go to sleep, but highly doubtful since I've only had four hours of sleep since I got up Sunday morning. I will eventually drive over all my phones and stab my work laptop with my pen.

mwilson914
02-15-2012, 09:08 AM
I just realized how bad the springy landing gears make the wheels look because they are not centered on the axles in the screenshot. I gotta figure out the spring designation. Will research later.

Maj. Numbskully
02-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Just adjust the camera , same thing as adjusting the seats

mwilson914
02-15-2012, 06:20 PM
I figured out the shading issues on the fuselage where the wings attach. Eventhough I defined smoothing groups, the polygons covering the broken surface and the polygons on the sides of the fuselage are too shallow of an angle and the smoothing group is ignored. I could either use global options and set the max shading to 0, or just detach the polygons in that area to element.

You can see how it gets darker on the fuselage near the seam of the wing on the one screenshot and you can see on the other screenshot things look more correct.

mwilson914
02-16-2012, 10:45 AM
I started mapping this model last night and this morning on breaks. There is a lot of surface to cover and it is quite an extensive process managing the UVW unwrap this time around. It is even more labor intensive than most other models I have created--at least for this Sim.

I do have a couple weird issues with a few objects on this model. I always use planer and align to view to get an accurate dimension applied to all parts on the map. I also use unfold and flatten in various cases. The size of the faces are always the correct proportion most of the time doing things this way, but my gear doors are coming out out of proportion.

I will see if it has anything to do with hierarchy, pivots, or the multi-unwrap tool. the problem was worse when I closed the gear doors so that I could get a perfect flush fit of the doors to the fuselage. The result was no longer squashed gear doors, but rather the entire bottom view of the space shuttle became squashed and widened.

For now I am going to lay down.

mwilson914
02-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Oh yes I forgot to mention that I always turn off normalize clusters.

jeffpn
02-16-2012, 10:58 AM
D'oh! That's the only thing I could think of!!

Boof69
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
I use the object based projection tools found directly below the "Quick Planar" tool. I took some screen shots to show what I mean.
You will have to deselect the tool before you can move the mapped pieces.

mwilson914
02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I use the object based projection tools found directly below the "Quick Planar" tool. I took some screen shots to show what I mean.
You will have to deselect the tool before you can move the mapped pieces.

Unfortunately, this is exactly how I do it too. If I can't resolve the issue later on, I will think of more solutions. One way that might work if all else fails is to insert a primitive object into the scene, then convert it to an editable poly without resizing or scaling, nor adjust pivots or hierarchy. I would create a clone object of the gear door then select the primitive shape and attach the gear door to it. The gear door now has the properties of that primitive shape which should map correctly. I do this trick when I have a pivot point that is defaulted to an odd orientation which won't correct itself via "transform".

Now I still need my pivot location to be where I placed it so that the gear doors sits flush. After I map the clone gear door I will then attach it to the original gear door. This takes on the properties of the original values only now it is mapped. I just select element in the sub-object list and delete everything I don't need.

This is my plan now.

mwilson914
02-16-2012, 06:16 PM
I almost had the mapping done. I have it done on the orbitor and luckily it's applied. However, the multi-unwrap was still open when I was trying to make my .tga for the boosters and tank and launch pad. Max crashed and all the mapping data is lost. Going to bed. :(

nemo_uk
02-17-2012, 05:38 AM
Did you have auto save turned on? I can't remember if it is on by default.

Max will automatically save 4 times every 10 minutes on a loop, the files are called AutoBackup**.max and normally located in your my documents \ 3ds max \ autoback folder.

Have a look for the folder before running 3ds Max again otherwise 3ds Max will save over your backup !

BTW the thing with the strange twists on the UVW's have you tried resetting the XFORM on the object ? Save everything first then go to the utilities tab (the one with hammer) and click on Rest XForm. Then do your UVW unwrap etc.

mwilson914
02-17-2012, 06:39 AM
Did you have auto save turned on? I can't remember if it is on by default.

Max will automatically save 4 times every 10 minutes on a loop, the files are called AutoBackup**.max and normally located in your my documents \ 3ds max \ autoback folder.

Have a look for the folder before running 3ds Max again otherwise 3ds Max will save over your backup !

BTW the thing with the strange twists on the UVW's have you tried resetting the XFORM on the object ? Save everything first then go to the utilities tab (the one with hammer) and click on Rest XForm. Then do your UVW unwrap etc.

Thanks for the tips Nemo! I actually worked on this yesterday for a bit and got my issues worked out via other methods, but I'm going to try what you suggested in the future. The tips you provide always go in my "Do Not Ever Delete-NEVER EVER DELETE" folder.

I actually do daily back-ups with dated files, so I always can go back to the previous day if needed. I also have mutliple back-up's of any given day depending on the amount of work accomplished. I have been messed over by the auto-back-up before, so I just save like crazy and end up having 30 model files by the time I'm done. I'll delete the old eventually.

Here is where I'm at right now by the way.

mwilson914
02-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Yes I'm planning on using photo textures on this model. I can't achive the same level of tile detail by meticulously painting from scratch. However, there is a lot of clone tool work to be done!

mwilson914
02-18-2012, 09:38 PM
A quick update. It doesn't look like much has been done since the last update, but I've done as much tweaking to the existing paint as time would allow.

Phototexturing is a fine art which can look horrible if done rushed. I find using actual photos more challenging than creating something from scratch with photos used as reference material.

I am of course not going to do 100% photo texturing because the external tank is difficult to get a shot of with even light on all sides.

mwilson914
02-19-2012, 12:06 AM
I have given some x-tra thaut & it wood b kool if I sramped da regular NASA shuttle paintscheme with digital camo and red stripes. Whatcha think jeffpn?

jeffpn
02-19-2012, 12:11 AM
that wood bee sooper neato i think you should do it i think you could do it justice cuz u r awesum!!!

12oclockhigh
02-19-2012, 07:46 PM
SWEEEEEET! I just DLd the 15 version.... lots of fun there.

Maj. Numbskully
02-20-2012, 09:05 AM
it luks vary niece an stuf lyke dat
now it juast knead som bumpy stuf, an stuf lyke dat tue

dhk79
02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
I konw taht a merdon uvinesrity mdae a sduty taht if the frsit and lsat letetr of a wrod wree crcoret and taht all the otehr letetrs wree trehe, but not in the crorcet oredr, the hamun mnid wolud ajudst and 99% of all popele wulod eaisly cohrepmned waht was benig siad. Taht bineg siaid, hvewoer, yuor atmetpt to cumconimate lkie a hgih sohocl dporuot is mnkaig my haed hrut.

mwilson914
02-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Just a quick test to see what the current CS progress looks like.

mwilson914
02-24-2012, 11:08 AM
I've uploaded a video to youtube showing my current models progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4UByDncn90&list=UUyuRvSB30v_4yktnnKqpNhg&index=1&feature=plcp

I wish I had taken a screenshot, but I have done a lot on the model besides working on the CS. I've also reshaped the main wings, ailerons and flaps. I've also reduced the polygons on the landing gears, but not like that is noticeable unless you are looking specifically at the edge lines.

mwilson914
02-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Just a few progress shots as of this morning. I might try to go back to bed. Been up since 2:00AM--whole family is sick with chest colds and I can't sleep from my wife's coughing.

mwilson914
03-30-2012, 09:51 PM
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=16523

Uploaded to the swaps about two minutes ago.

HelimanCP2
03-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Check this out... Does this happen because im on G4.5, and this was meant for G6? Is there a fix for this? Other than getting G6...
Great model, by the way!!!

jeffpn
03-31-2012, 03:32 PM
It's a RF6 model. What do you want?

mwilson914
03-31-2012, 08:00 PM
It works fine in G6 and in G5.5. I no longer have G4.5 installed on my PC.

I will note that it does fly with a heavier feel with much less glide in G5.5 as well.

polster74
03-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Absolutely love this model.

It is a great challenge for deadstick landings.

Looks fantastic, just needs some glow from the rockets for nightime (like the B1).

Keep up the great work and keep pushing the boundaries of this sim!:)

maxx2504
03-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Hi !

Would you make a shuttle only version w/o boosters and tank just for fun ? :)

maxx

andy29847
04-01-2012, 10:35 AM
I am having tons of fun with this model. thanks!!

http://youtu.be/dd3UC_Ky6ss

mwilson914
04-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi !

Would you make a shuttle only version w/o boosters and tank just for fun ? :)

maxx

Sure thing. I actually have one in RF from earlier version tests so the physics are done. Since I will have a ton of polys left over without the tank, rockets and launch pad I could throw in some extra detail and re-do the CS to be higher resolution. Maybe a bit more detail on the CS in the cockpit as well.

maxx2504
04-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Sure thing. I actually have one in RF from earlier version tests so the physics are done. Since I will have a ton of polys left over without the tank, rockets and launch pad I could throw in some extra detail and re-do the CS to be higher resolution. Maybe a bit more detail on the CS in the cockpit as well.

Would be nice :D Thank you !