PDA

View Full Version : First Blender Build-Twist 40

Pages : [1] 2

abaser
01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Well, here I go. Im diving into this head first. This model started out in wings, but Ive almost completely remodeled the entire thing in Blender. This is a Hangar 9 Twist 40. It seems to be a beginner friendly model, but time will tell :p So far, so good I think.

My daughter picked out the color, so please, keep the snickers down :p :D :p :D

Madratter
01-31-2012, 06:36 PM

Nothing wrong with purple a good can of paint won't hide :p .

I'm currently deciding whether it is worth doing most of the modeling in Wings3d and then transferring to Blender, or whether it is best just to go Blender from the start and avoid the transfer issues.

If I thought Wings3d could be convoluted, Blender can be even worse. On the other hand, the power is clearly there.

abaser
01-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Here's the issue I ran into. I did so much work in wings, that the user interface became second nature to me. I've found that there's not a whole lot of modeling difference between the two. However, there are things that wings will let you do that Blender doesn't like. Creating faces with more than 4 verts is a prime example. Also, I have found that in the transfer from Wings to Blender, sometimes faces can get formed differently. For example, on my Electra, the edges ran the length of the wing in Wings, but when brought into Blender, the edges were moved forward one vert on the wing root.

These are two of the few reasons Im trying the switch. If you are not too familiar with the Wings interface, and you are considering switching, Id give it a try now before getting too used to the way Wings is used. There is a very useful forum that I use quite a bit to get answers to questions. If you want to try it, Ill do what I can to help, but Im modeling on the fly, so I might not be of much help.

mwilson914
01-31-2012, 06:55 PM

Andy,

I would have thought nothing had your model been colored bright pink. After working for T-Mobile since the Voicestream days (over 11 years), I've been brain-washed into believing magenta is a manly color.

abaser
02-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Well, I changed the color, cut in the control surfaces, and got the gear finished. I know it doesnt seem like much, but it took three times to get here, at about 1.5 hrs each time. It seems when you reset defaults on the settings that you screw up, it also resets where files are saved to the "temp>app data" location. In my case, not sure if this is normal, but I cannot save to that location, although Blender says you did :( :confused:

I also started working with rendering since that seems the way things are going these days around here. So here is my first public render. :p

As far as polys go, Im not sure how to check that as of yet, but Im at 1100 quads, so I think its safe to say that this one is less than 3k polys. once I do some minor tweaks to the fuselage and wings, Ill start adding servos and linkages.

jeffpn
02-02-2012, 07:19 AM
If Blender won't allow more than a 4-sided poly, then your tri-count won't be any more than double your polie count.
Looks good so far!

abaser
02-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Good point...........I've never claimed to be good at math. :p

Anyway, I'm thinking of going all out on this one now. I figured a good way to make the bones, and in seeing this one in about 13-15 pieces after lawn darting :D

Physics should hopefully be spot on as well. I've got 3 guys who own one willing to test it out. However, I will say, it will be slightly overpowered from factory specs. I've received much feedback about how the specs are way underpowered to do what this plane is designed to do.

jeffpn
02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
You're finally building an overpowered model? It's about time!!! :p

abaser
02-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Just thought Id get that out in the open now so I wouldnt catch too much flack in the end. ;) Previous overpowerment were mearly inexperience :D

abaser
02-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Well, thanks to Jeff, and the repository, we now have a power plant. I haven't yet set the smoothing groups yet so the motor looks rough, but time isn't on my side tonight.

If I have any Blender viewers out there (or if this transfers to max), does flipping normals flip faces around as well? Im looking for the same effect as invert in wings.

Boof69
02-03-2012, 10:42 PM
A normal is the visible side or face of a poly and backface is the opposite side. So flipping normals or flipping faces would be the same thing.

abaser
02-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Thank you sir. My life just got a whole lot easier. :D

Madratter
02-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Thank you sir. My life just got a whole lot easier. :D

BTW, be careful with the mirror command. Not sure exactly what is going on, but I mirrored something in Blender tonight and although it looked great in Blender, it did not actually mirror in RF. Very strange. I was very very glad I back up a version of my .blend file before I made that set of changes.

That is one of the nice things about working in Blender instead of wings3d. It is much easier to do a quick import and make sure your changes do what you expect.

abaser
02-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Did you apply the modifier before exporting? I hope I'm not in trouble here. My whole model is just a right side mirrored.

Madratter
02-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Did you apply the modifier before exporting? I hope I'm not in trouble here. My whole model is just a right side mirrored.

Well since I don't even know what you are talking about, probably not! Sounds like yet another arcane piece of knowledge I need. I didn't need to do anything when flipping stuff around in Wings 3d. What's the deal?

abaser
02-03-2012, 11:28 PM
when you add a modifier, a drop box should appear showing the properties. In that box, there is a selection to apply. After finishing your work, you must apply the modifier before exporting. You do not need to do this every time you save, just before export.

jeffpn
02-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Even in Wings, if you use the virtual mirror, you would need to freeze it when you have what you want. Otherwise, I bet you'd only have half a model.

abaser
02-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Getting started in the bone yard. Just a quick job here, so I know it's ugly. However, The only time any of this will show is when crashed and broken apart so I dont see a reason to really make this perfect. Most of this will disappear anyway since it will never be seen.

abaser
02-05-2012, 04:32 PM
Well, she's not perfect, but she's in RF. Ive got a lot of work to do yet though.

Madratter
02-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Well, she's not perfect, but she's in RF. Ive got a lot of work to do yet though.

Andy, it looks like you are using blender 2.6. How different is that from 2.49? Is it worth the extra pain of relearning stuff, and how much relearning is there?

And how easy was it to transfer the stuff back to 2.49 for the export? And just because I like asking questions, how easy is it to keep two versions of blender on the same machine?

It does look like you are being pretty productive working in blender alone instead of with Wings3d.

abaser
02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Almost everything crosses over nicely. One thing you have to be careful of is using modifiers and such that are new to the newer versions. As far as both on the same system, I can't tell any problems so far, and my system is fairly low end stuff. The UI is only slightly different, so remarking should not be a problem for you. And 2.6 is so much nicer for me.

abaser
02-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Finally got my file worked out so it exports again (Thanks Bosshawg ;) )

Here are a couple renders with and without bones. Still have the tail feathers to do, but this one is about ready to be broken into pieces :D

Im thinking these areas would be good break points, but open to suggestions.

abaser
02-12-2012, 04:12 PM
:DFuse Broken:D

brields
02-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Abaser, your Break-apart models are insane.

abaser
02-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks. Now if I could only figure out how to make them crumple up too.:D;)

abaser
02-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Stage 1 complete...........well with a bug. Whenever the nose breaks off, the motor always floats upward. Im assuming that its due to not having any physics to mention set to this part. All I have done is add a fuselage and set the component frame. But, if Im wrong, feel free to speak up:D

abaser
02-13-2012, 01:06 AM
And stage 2:p

abaser
02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Ok guys, Ive run into something interesting. In trying to experiment with making things crumple on impact, Ive cut my wing into 6 objects. 1 large, and 5 slices. The larger piece I named ~CS_RMW, and the smaller bits ~CS_RMW_1, _2, and so on. I added an empty object, with a coll on it to link my smaller pieces to named ~CS_RMW_DU, and ~CS_COLL_RWD.

My problem is that when I export the .kex, everything seems fine and dandy. No errors, and the poly count seems right. However, when I import into RF, everything runs smoothly, until the dds is created. My smaller pieces do not show. Ok, I thought maybe my parenting was off. Upon closer inspection in the editor, they are not there. Can't find the first piece, but the larger, correctly named piece is. Does anyone know if there are naming restrictions for the wing assignments. I know with a bipe you add a T or B to designate top or bottom, but Im confused on this one. FUSELAGE1 works fine for my broken fuse, but not the wing. Any suggestions?

flexible
02-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Is this a type o,(~CS_COLL_RWD.) that is RW dummie

abaser
02-13-2012, 10:18 AM
RWD is for right wing dummy. That naming might confuse RF now that I think of it, but shouldn't effect my parts from showing.

flexible
02-13-2012, 10:24 AM
RW is used by RF as right wheel.
I have made several models with segmented wings. I just named them ~CS_RMW_I, or O, outer. Check you're naming, to make sure you did not leave the ~CS_ off of them. The ~CS_ makes them visible.

flexible
02-13-2012, 10:27 AM
All so, I was not calling you dummie, I was refering to you're ~CS_RWD as being seen by RF as ~CS_Right Wheel Dummie.

abaser
02-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Ya, I got your reference:D, and the naming is there. I've checked and double checked that. When I get back to it, I'll remove the empty and see if that makes a difference. I've never messed with that before.

flexible
02-13-2012, 10:50 AM
I would name the parts;
~CS_RMW
~CS_RMW_1
~CS_RMW_2
and so on.
and put ~CS_COLL on each part.

abaser
02-13-2012, 10:55 AM
That's what I have for the wing bits. The empty is named dummy.

I'll check again though.

flexible
02-13-2012, 11:28 AM
If you have the pieces linked to one COLL, they will stay with it, going as a group. If you have COLL for each, they will scatter.

abaser
02-13-2012, 02:41 PM
OK, here's what I have and see in RF. Note that the naming for the parts in question have a pink circle next to them in the outliner window.

abaser
02-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Funny thing........when you have a brain lapse and make objects children of a cmesh, they disappear.:p I'm surprised no one caught that.

Still no luck on what I'm trying to accomplish though.

jeffpn
02-13-2012, 08:22 PM
I thought that looked funny, but I was on my phone, and I'm no Blender expert.

flexible
02-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Funny thing........when you have a brain lapse and make objects children of a cmesh, they disappear.:p I'm surprised no one caught that.

Still no luck on what I'm trying to accomplish though.

I would name the parts;
~CS_RMW
~CS_RMW_1
~CS_RMW_2
and so on.
and put ~CS_COLL on each part.

abaser
02-13-2012, 09:49 PM
That works great for breaking the pieces off. I'm trying t to keep them attached, and crumple. I've also come to find that only 1cmesh can be hit at a time. I've done several tests trying to get both sections of the fuse to break at the same time. Every time results with only one breaking.

flexible
02-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Add a javelin on each ~CS_COLL_ that you want to break off at the same time, and put the point of all in the exact same place. That way they will be triggered at the same time.

abaser
02-13-2012, 10:22 PM
Can I bug someone to explain a scissor pivot. I understand I need the ghost pivot above, but that's the end of what I know.

jeffpn
02-13-2012, 10:25 PM
2 fake objects. The third object is your real object. Anchor one scissor blade on the table. Drag the other blade along the table toward and away from the anchored one. That represents your sliding object. Look at my Dewo.

abaser
02-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Ok, but how are they linked together? Can you see where Im going with this?

jeffpn
02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
From top down: dummy1 - dummy2 - real object.

abaser
02-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Now if I can get the ground to activate it.:D This is in no way the finished look Im going for, just a visual for now to get the point across.

abaser
02-14-2012, 01:16 AM
wooooooo-hooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abaser
02-16-2012, 01:06 AM
If I can get things to work out right, Ill be happy:D

mwilson914
02-16-2012, 05:26 AM
So this is the project with the crash damage/deformation. Very cool indeed! Depending on how many moveable pods you use and how many polygons and two sided materials you use, you may find that the EA causes a performance hit. It will most likely be fine, but if you come across a significant hit, I can help go over your model with you.

abaser
02-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Top and bottom of the wing are now hacked up. Now to add faces to the back sides of the wing skin and do a test run into RF.

Madratter
02-16-2012, 11:56 PM
Top and bottom of the wing are now hacked up. Now to add faces to the back sides of the wing skin and do a test run into RF.

Awesome if it actually works. :)

abaser
02-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Awesome if it actually works. :)

Not perfect, and I need to change the materials around to show the faces on both sides. But the way my day has gone, Im surprised I even got this much done.

abaser
02-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Here's and after crash view. I have the pods for the pieces exaggerated just to show the effect. Now that I have things set right material wise, I can see that I may need to chop some pieces in half.

jeffpn
02-17-2012, 08:58 AM
Nice!

abaser
02-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Even though this will be the only project I do like this, it has opened my eyes to other aspects that it may be used for. At one point, I seem to remember a conversation about having pilot scarfs react with propwash. This can be done using this method (although it's not actually the wind that makes it move) as well as planes that use torque wings for controls. Its all in the parenting and pivoting of pieces, as well as the proper editor setup of pods and signal modifiers. Who know what else it may be good for.

I am having a problem with the pieces being very visible on the leading edge when not broken though. I cant figure out how to get the wing to look smooth on the leading edge. I know it's gotta be something with the smoothing groups, but finding help in that area is a challenge to say the least.

jeffpn
02-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Smoothing groups cannot transcend objects. You'll always have a seam. That actually goes back to my mapping issue.

abaser
02-21-2012, 09:07 AM
Due to several issues concerning this project, Im calling it quits on the shatter effect. I have achieved my goal in proving that it can be done, but unfortunately, my skills at the present time in modeling and editor setup do not allow me to get the true effect that Im looking for. Oh, well. Maybe someone one day will take this on that can really make it work to full benefits. Since I have the wings split up already, they will still break apart, but just not shatter on impact. Im not happy with the looks so it will not be released that way.

brields
02-23-2012, 06:39 PM
The wing shatter looks awesome as it is.

Although, I'v never watched an R/C plane crash.

mwilson914
02-23-2012, 07:40 PM

Go out to a real RC field just once and you'll get to witness a crash or two. Park flying is different and it can be hit or miss, but designated fields are like magnets for people that don't know how to fly. Go figure.

abaser
02-23-2012, 07:45 PM

Soooo, you've never flown one either, huh:p

Hab
02-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Soooo, you've never flown one either, huh:p

Funny..... I was just thinking the same thing :D

jeffpn
02-23-2012, 07:50 PM
I doubt he's ever SEEN one.

Hab
02-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Brields, go to your local HS ask where the local flying field is.

You just might be lucky enough to witness one getting dorked
if you visit one.

brields
02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Funny. I just burnt the mother board out of my cub in mid flight this morning.
( I was at a PVMAC field by the way. [Not the one available on the swaps.])
When I said I never watched an R/C plane crash, I meant I never watched a wing
crumple up.

Madratter
02-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, I have to admit I have seen many many crashes done by yours truly. :p Fortunately, I fly 3D EPP foamies for the most part, so they don't crumple like Andy is trying to achieve.

phrank
02-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Built-up balsa wings don't really crumple up on a crash, your motor and firewall mount takes most of the impact. Best a wing would do is a big gouge where the branches/bush caught it or ripped monokote. But it will be cool to see. :cool:
Rough landing will tear up your undercarriage too, sometimes so much that you are left with a hand-launch only model. :o
Planes don't really explode into bits either (kablooey), but it's cool to watch too.

abaser
02-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Just to illustrate my intentions that somewhat failed on my part.

phrank
02-23-2012, 08:54 PM
He sure aimed that wing at the pole/tree. Ouch!

abaser
02-23-2012, 09:01 PM
your motor and firewall mount takes most of the impact.

Now that may be a little easier to do:rolleyes: (substituting for thinking). I have already remade the wings, but the fuse is still chopped up. If things go right, I might attempt it.........maybe.

Hab
02-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Just to illustrate my intentions that somewhat failed on my part.

:confused: Don't tell me you forgot to chg up ...... ?

jeffpn
02-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Ar e.

You're welcome.

abaser
02-23-2012, 09:24 PM
:confused: Don't tell me you forgot to chg up ...... ?

Just a pic I found with a quick google search. Mine always end up MUCH worse:D

abaser
02-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Ok, this model is in RF again. This is for Madratter and anyone else using Blender. For the entire time Ive been working with Blender, Ive been told to apply an edge split modifier to eliminate the shading errors shown in Blender. Just for kicks, I exported with two things that can both be seen in the screenys. First of all, there is NO edge split added to this model.......at all. No shading errors, so I dont see the need for it, at least on this model.

Secondly, and this is for anyone to explain. As you can see, my motor is very faceted in the first pic, and smooth in the second. To my understanding, The kex exporter triangulates faces during the export process. Ive been watching my face count and my poly count, expecting near double the face count as a poly count. However, Im only increasing about 1/3 the face count, and most, if not all, of my faces are quads. That got me thinking about what is going on, are the faces really getting triangulated? So, with this export, I untriangulated the motor (which was that way on import). As I expected, the motor is now very faceted.

So, are my beliefs about faces getting triangulated on export completely wrong? I have at least come to realize that I dont fully understand how this stuff works.

jeffpn
02-24-2012, 07:21 AM
4 sided faces count as 2 polies in RF. Triangulation has nothing to do with polie count, really. I don't know how Blender counts polies. Maybe it counts them as if they're 3-sided to start.

Boof69
02-24-2012, 07:39 AM
The triangulation happens in the 3D software. Most software has the option to show the full triangulation of the model while modeling. Its off by default because its unnecessary and visually confusing compared to just displaying polys. As for the face count being just a third higher is suspect. I don't know what's going on there. No type of exporter is responsible for triangulation because it exists at the moment you create the geometry. Some exporter types may retriangulate a model for the sake of smoothing or organization of faces to simplify the geometry. You should research manual re triangulation in blender. It should be an eye opener for you because that mode will show the default triangulation. One of my first tutorials I wrote in the MTOTD explains manual re triangulation in max for the purpose of solving shading errors. I think blender should have this feature as well.

abaser
05-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Ive been away from this one for a while now, and it is no longer a Blender build. It's now in max, and Im having flashbacks to my pitts already. Im trying to set SGs on the wing (also the first part Im modifying) and the SGs aren't showing. I feel it's due mainly to the edge split modifier from Blunder. However, verts are showing to be all single verts, and edges single edges. If I delete the faces on the wing tips, then bridge the top and bottom edges, things look as they should. Welding yields no results in fixing this.

Any ideas? There are a few things I want to change on this model, but if this is going to be a major overhaul, Ill live with the current version and just finish the physics tweaking.

Boof69
05-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Select the part then apply an editable mesh, then turn it back to an editable poly. Now when you check you will see the extra verts.
Quick fix is to the select all verts then weld at .01.

abaser
05-20-2012, 10:43 PM
D'oh! I remember that now. Thanks.

abaser
05-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Well, any other ideas? That was a no go. I've got this problem on multiple parts, and Ive tried that work around an a few of them with no progress. Im nit just real concerned about it as the model looks descent already. I can promise you this, I will never bring another model from Blunder to max again:p

Boof69
05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Go back to blender and clear the SGs or whatever and reimport into max. Also when you import are you importing as an .obj and if so are you using the "Blunder" preset?

jeffpn
05-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Did use .obj or .3ds? Try the other one.

abaser
05-20-2012, 11:13 PM
I had to go fbx. Max does not recognize blunders 3ds and an obj comes in all distorted. There are no export options, and I used the default import. I'll give the other route a shot and see what happens.

abaser
05-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Nothing. Vert, edge, and face counts are exactly the same as in blender. I even went to a previous version before SGs. In fact, even in my last file, the SGs had not even been applied. I'll try that tonight and see what happens.

Boof69
05-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Anything else I say now would be complete guess work. I don't have allot of experience in this area.

Madratter
05-21-2012, 10:09 AM
SG? Not an acronym I'm recognizing.

abaser
05-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Smoothing groups.

That's max talk for edge split/sharp edge smoothing.

Madratter
05-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks.

abaser
05-21-2012, 06:08 PM
Ok, this model will remain as is, just with a physics tweak here and there. I went back to Blender and applied smoothing thinking that max might bring them in. I just did the wings, and deleted the rest of the parts. Hid everything in max and imported the .fbx. This is what appeared after import. Max does NOT like Blender files at all. It distorted everything beyond recognition.

Oh ya, and it didn't even bring in the wings I exported:eek:

jeffpn
05-21-2012, 06:11 PM
I don't see a problem. :confused: Looks like any of your models! :p

Maj. Numbskully
05-21-2012, 07:59 PM
............:p:p

abaser
05-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Well, on a whim, I decided to give this one more try. Upon import, I looked through some settings and saw that SGs were turned off by default. I turned it on, and things looked good. I then checked to see if I could change SGs, and it worked:D So, Ive modified a few things. This model will no longer break as originally planned for because I just didnt care for the seams on the fuselage. As it sets right now, Im at 5916 polys, with the motor. Im going to reduce more as I go, then add servos and other details of that nature. I may even try a pilot.

jeffpn
05-22-2012, 07:07 AM
I may even try a pilot.You and half the stewerdesses of United!!! :p

abaser
05-22-2012, 11:01 PM
I made some nice progress on this today. Now, it's time for the R/C touches.

Note: The CS was previously done by Boof69 for the earlier model

abaser
05-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Here's a start on an outdated (but still widely used) 72mhz setup. Im thinking of using the "engine to show" feature to make this removable.

abaser
05-23-2012, 08:55 AM
RX wire done.

jeffpn
05-23-2012, 10:44 AM
It's not thick enough. I mean it's too thick. Shoot, what's wrong with it again, flex???

Madratter
05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
It's not thick enough. I mean it's too thick. Shoot, what's wrong with it again, flex???

Who is thick? :p

uncle twist
05-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Should`nt that thing have "uncle" written on it ???? :eek::D:D :p

phrank
05-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Ummmm, Andy....
"First Blender Build-Twist 40"
Now you're in Max???? False Advertising!! :D

Looking Good! ;)

jeffpn
05-23-2012, 01:57 PM
C'mon phrank! You would've bet he'd come over!! :D

abaser
05-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Ummmm, Andy....
"First Blender Build-Twist 40"
Now you're in Max???? False Advertising!! :D

Looking Good! ;)

Thanks. And what can I say? I've come to my senses.:p

abaser
05-23-2012, 10:50 PM
Oyou Max vets. Ever since I imported this file into max, I get this error of the missing .tga. However, I have it showing:confused: Is this something to be concerned with?

jeffpn
05-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Shift t. (Asset tracking). Make sure the .tga is listed there only one time, in the right place. Right click and Browse to the correct location, and multiple instances will disappear.

abaser
05-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks Jeff. A couple more progress shots. I believe this one is ready for RF now.........after the asset tracking thing, of course:p

abaser
05-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Scott, while following your wire routing tut, you have a step there saying you can hit "backspace" to delete a group of verts, but still keep a good result. I have also used shift+backspace (I believe), and gotten verts removed in a similar way. However, both methods give very unwanted results as you can see here in a before and after shot. Is that a typo in your tut, or am I just doing something wrong? Either way, I can live with what I have, just thought Id get rid of some unneeded polys.

I didnt realize the heaviness of polys this wire has. In creating the loft, I backed down the edge steps all the way down, but still got an 8 sided wire:eek: This puppy is packing almost 400 polys by itself.

Madratter
05-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Andy: What did you eventually to do get a smooth transfer over to the student version of 3ds max. I am currently downloading it. :)

abaser
05-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Export a fbx from blender and import. During import, look for the geometry drop down in the dialog box and make sure you tick smoothing groups. I'll get back to you on the rest later.

Madratter
05-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Ok thanks Andy!

Boof69
05-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Scott, while following your wire routing tut, you have a step there saying you can hit "backspace" to delete a group of verts, but still keep a good result. I have also used shift+backspace (I believe), and gotten verts removed in a similar way. However, both methods give very unwanted results as you can see here in a before and after shot. Is that a typo in your tut, or am I just doing something wrong? Either way, I can live with what I have, just thought Id get rid of some unneeded polys.

I didnt realize the heaviness of polys this wire has. In creating the loft, I backed down the edge steps all the way down, but still got an 8 sided wire:eek: This puppy is packing almost 400 polys by itself.

instead of selecting the verts and hitting backspace or shift+backspace select the edge loop and hit shift+backspace. Also if these wires are going to be very small you can go to 4 sides with no smoothing groups and it should be fine in the sim. Unless they are very tiny because apparently RFs render engine will only correctly render object over a certain diameter. Flex should be able to tell you the exact diameter. I think its like .9 but I'm not sure.

I need to revise that tutorial because I found that it includes an extra step. It is not necessary to make the circle and then loft. The line that you make for the wire path is all you need. Then click the enable in viewport option and select cylinder and it will be the same result. Its still editable at the line level. Just uncheck enable in viewport and you can further edit then recheck. If you find it necessary to map your wires (not sure why you would) look for the generate UVs button and check it. When you apply an unwrap modifier you will find the wire nicely mapped as a rectangle.

abaser
05-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Andy: What did you eventually to do get a smooth transfer over to the student version of 3ds max. I am currently downloading it. :)

Now that you are in Max, select each part and convert to an editable poly if not already (mine was). If you have an applied edge split modifier, follow this. In vertex mode, you will need to select all verts and hit the small dialog box next to weld. This will open a popup box in the viewport. Change the tolerance from .1 to .01. It should show about half of the vert count than before and click the check mark to confirm. Do this to each part that has an edge split modifier applied. Your model will probably look ugly after doing so, but Im not sure how max will handle all of those extra verts and edges from Blunders smoothing. When it comes to smoothing groups in max, Boof69 has a tut here. (http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?p=213429&highlight=smoothing+groups#post213429)

abaser
05-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Well, They're no Boof renders, but they are renders:p

Scott, one question. My vstab is the same material as the fuselage. Any idea what's going on with it having the black showing up on it and not the fuselage?

Boof69
05-25-2012, 07:57 PM
It looks like it's the quality that you saved the render. If not that I'm not a hundred on what's causing it, but it must have something to to with the render settings if it doesn't show that way in the viewport. Could be as simple as moving the camera or viewport closer or further from the model before rendering. Nice otherwise. You'll only get better at renders. Next thing for you to look into is creating a quality AO map to use as a layer in your diffuse(classic) map.

Maj. Numbskully
05-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Good render, bad render
nice job andy

LOL ......."A boof render"

abaser
05-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Next thing for you to look into is creating a quality AO map to use as a layer in your diffuse(classic) map.

Im going to look into that this weekend. ;)

Boof69
05-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Let me know if you want some help, but bare with my response time. My backyard project is gobbling up my time.

abaser
05-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Will do.

abaser
05-25-2012, 10:51 PM
My first attempt at an AO map. It's very subtle here. First pic is multiplied 50%. The second is 67%.

Boof69
05-25-2012, 10:53 PM
it's supposed to be subtle. I can see it at the wing root on the fuse as well as at the v and h stab roots. Have you tried it in RF?

abaser
05-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Not yet. I've still got naming, parenting, and pivoting to do on my added parts. Hopefully tomorrow.

Boof69
05-25-2012, 11:03 PM
You will notice that those dark areas will lighten up in direct sunlight in the sim. If you look at any corner in a dimly lit room you will see ambient occlusion. Its subtle in real life as well.

abaser
05-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Ive run across something I can't explain. In trying to set my pivots, My rear control rod pivots need rotated. I have affect pivots only selected, but when I try rotating it, it moves the entire rod. It doesn't rotate the rod, just moves it in a circular motion.

Boof69
05-25-2012, 11:52 PM
First unparent the rod if it is and try again. If that doesn't work do a transform and scale. Both are found in the hierarchy tab. If either of those don't help go to the hammer tab and do a reset xform which may flip some polys. If it does use the normals modifier to get them flipped back. If none of this works let me know.

I guess it should be stated that pivots should be set first then parenting follows. It avoids this issue all together .

Maj. Numbskully
05-25-2012, 11:58 PM
If either of those don't help go to the hammer tab and do a reset xform .......... .
The Hammer Tab ! ?
:eek:
Jeez......... you guys really DO build 'em ! !
:p:p

Boof69
05-26-2012, 12:36 AM
I know sounds funny right? But if you look at Andy's pics you will see different icon pics on the right hand menu. The very last one is a picture of a hammer. Hence hammer tab.

abaser
05-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Transform was the problem. I forget that step everytime I mirror something.:o

This one should be in RF tonight.

jeffpn
05-26-2012, 08:40 AM
You guys who model in Max sure do have troubles!!! :p

abaser
05-26-2012, 08:44 AM
No, it's just me.:D

jeffpn
05-26-2012, 09:00 AM
I know! ;)

abaser
05-26-2012, 09:35 AM
:D gimme time......I'm a newby here :p

Boof69
05-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Transform was the problem. I forget that step everytime I mirror something.:o

This one should be in RF tonight.

I've never seen transform be the problem for this issue. It is usually mirroring a parented part. Although this glitch is a bit unpredictable.

abaser
05-26-2012, 09:59 AM
None of the rods were parented, and after resetting the transform, things were good.

Something strange is going on. Not sure what, but when I move or rotate now, is real jumpy, and half of the model will go away until I stop. I may just have too much going on for my puter to handle. My fps will go from around 700 to double digits when that happens.

abaser
05-26-2012, 06:09 PM
A couple in flight shots.

Boof69
05-26-2012, 07:39 PM
It looks like the left hstab and elevator has moved on the map or something. Its looking good though.

abaser
05-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Ya, there are a couple little quirks that showed up. I did something wrong. Not to mention, blender units are not inches apparently. This thing is tiny:p A 6 inch prop hits the ground.

Boof69
05-26-2012, 08:32 PM
A little factoid: max generic units by default are set to 1=1inch. That can be changed to whatever you like in the preferences along with all the other unit options. I only ever model in the generic units, but when I decide the scale (usually at the end of the modeling process) I switch momentarily to feet and fractional inches then right back after. I always do all modeling at the native resolution of my 3 view pics. That's usually much larger than the finish product then simply shrink to suit. As I've mentioned before this will protect the model from accidental welding and allows the Freeport camera to behave more acceptably.

abaser
06-01-2012, 07:28 PM
Anyone ever have a file import just fine, create the dds (which looks correct), and RF crashes when you click ok. Now, I open RF right back up, and there's my plane, only its an older model, with no servos, antenna, or AO map.

Boof69
06-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Once when I tried to import a kex as a model of the same name.

abaser
06-02-2012, 12:15 AM
Ok, Im still doing something wrong. Here is what I see in RF from creating dds to after crash.

Last two show what shows in the select aircraft window, and what actually shows in RF. My question is, how did I lose my CS?:confused:

Boof69
06-02-2012, 06:32 AM
The model select windows show 2 different CS names. Do you have the CS randomised option enabled?

abaser
06-02-2012, 06:37 AM
No. look at the wing bottom across the fuse. Although I have the same model selected, those are two different planes.

Boof69
06-02-2012, 06:41 AM
I see what you mean. I don't know what's going on.

abaser
06-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Funny, I base the model on a different model, and it comes through. Base it on the AV I want it based on, it fails.

I think I know a way to go into the text files though and change the AV base model, so all may not be lost.

jeffpn
06-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I wonder what would happen if you save the AV as an EA, then reimport and base it on the EA. Sometimes this can be a real shell game.

Fly_electric
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Any new developments/breakthroughs??

abaser
06-04-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm at work now, but I'll give Jeffs idea a try tonight, then mine if that doesn't work. If all else fails, its back and forth between the two to match things up.

abaser
06-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Any new developments/breakthroughs??

Both of my efforts came out as failures. Turns out the AV I was wanting to use was a5.5 edit anyway. So, physics starts all over.

opjose
06-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Any poly's left over for a pilot?

abaser
06-04-2012, 11:54 PM
About 9 k worth. Got something in mind?

Fly_electric
06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
I wonder what would happen if you save the AV as an EA, then reimport and base it on the EA. Sometimes this can be a real shell game.

General question, but related to this:
If we think we have really gotten things messed up import wise, is there a way to delete all reference EA, AV, CS, prior imports, etc? That is to effectively start from scratch with RF having no information at all about the plane or it's components-- as would be true for that first import.

flexible
06-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I do not think it is possible to import with no wireframe at all. You can deleate everything but the root frame.

opjose
06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
About 9 k worth. Got something in mind?

Anything will do, but Snoopy rules! :D

It looks a bit bare without a pilot in the cockpit IMHO.

abaser
06-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I make no promises, but will see what I can do.

jeffpn
06-05-2012, 04:29 PM
I'll give snoopy a try if y'ant me to.

abaser
06-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Knock yourself out. If all else fails, I've got red bird from angry birds as backup.:p

abaser
06-05-2012, 05:14 PM
General question, but related to this:
If we think we have really gotten things messed up import wise, is there a way to delete all reference EA, AV, CS, prior imports, etc? That is to effectively start from scratch with RF having no information at all about the plane or it's components-- as would be true for that first import.

If I understand you correctly, you can delete all files associated with an EA, or just an AV or CS in the manage user files. That's basically what I had to do to get the twist back in RF for some reason. The problem was I deleted the EA that the AV I wanted to use was based on. However, it somehow remained as its own entity. I tried to re import the AV on its own, and it came through with no CS. Once selecting it, I got the "based on a plane you do not have" error, and RF crashed. Then I had to manually delete it from my aircraft files before I could get RF to start again.

Anyway, to answer your question, yes, you can delete all files associated with a plane.

Fly_electric
06-05-2012, 07:52 PM
IHowever, it somehow remained as its own entity.

That is the kind of thing I was wondering about. Perhaps not true in RF6, but when I see the word "import" it reminds me of "install", where just deleting files is almost always not enough (and of course not the way it should be done).

In turn, want to be sure I understand you:
If a search is made for every file with the name of the EA and AV (such as myplane*.* to use the classic example naming technique), and they are deleted (including the recycle bin), then we'd be good, is that correct? As I said, have no particular situation where there has been a problem. Am just trying to clarify for others who might need to know this.

Note:
The wildcard in the search would hopefully find any special files RF creates, including temporary ones. That would also mean allowing "show hidden files"

abaser
06-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Who wants a pilot? Snoopy you say? Well, this is all you get for now. Thanks Jeff.

abaser
06-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Pilots situated in the cockpit.:p

Madratter
06-05-2012, 11:32 PM

Is that Snoopy or the Red Headed Girl. I can't tell. :p

abaser
06-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Ok, ok. I can't keep a secret. Besides, Jeff needs credit here.

Madratter
06-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Ok, ok. I can't keep a secret. Besides, Jeff needs credit here.

Nice! :)

Fly_electric
06-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Looks like he belongs there!
Scarf??
Rudder pedals??
;)

opjose
06-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Too cool! :)

opjose
06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Who wants a pilot? Snoopy you say? Well, this is all you get for now. Thanks Jeff.

Thanks Jeff for your "limited" :D contribution!

jeffpn
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Lol. I'm not sure how limited. It may end up in every model I do from now on!!! :D

Madratter
06-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Does the pilot make the plane or does the plane make the pilot? At any rate, they are both looking good. :D

Boof69
06-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Andy makes the plane, Jeff makes the pilot. :D

Hab
06-06-2012, 03:14 PM

10...20....30..40 ,50 or more.... "Bloody Red Baron".... would roll up the score :D

Boof69
06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
We should end every post on this page with big grins. :D

Madratter
06-06-2012, 03:59 PM
We should end every post on this page with big grins. :D

Why not :D :confused: :cool: :p :) :D :D

opjose
06-06-2012, 04:21 PM
10...20....30..40 ,50 or more.... "Bloody Red Baron".... would roll up the score :D

http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery/photos/216965/lg-212701.jpg

"Eighty men died trying to end the spree of the Bloody Red Baron of Germany..." :D

abaser
06-06-2012, 04:39 PM
Looks like a few of us are having a good day. :D

I've been running a thougt through my head, and decided to just find out if there's interest. Does anyone want me to bring back the wing crumple effect?

For any new followers, testing can be found here (http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28026&page=4).

jeffpn
06-06-2012, 05:19 PM
It's :D up :D to :D you :D:D:D

Fly_electric
06-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Does anyone want me to bring back the wing crumple effect?

At the risk of making it sound like a strange phrase, this is a "superior crash". I vote yes.

dhk79
06-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Not to be a stick in the mud, but I practise on the sim to avoid crashing :rolleyes:

Boof69
06-06-2012, 09:56 PM
I vote no. It's more hassle than seems necessary. JMO :)

jeffpn
06-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Says Mr. 27 podsinaplane! :D

Boof69
06-06-2012, 10:15 PM
What?..who?..I don't know about no pods. You must be thinking of someone else. :p

P.S. It's only 12..;)

abaser
06-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Well, the pods aren't the challenge to the process. It's the modeling and figuring out the parenting. Anyway, I just ran across the old file, and was going to bring the wings into max and add them in if there was enough interest. But, unless things change, the majority rules in favor of no. Sorry FE;)

Boof69
06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I just think the model will look nicer without the seems at the break. Just to clarify my meaning.

abaser
06-06-2012, 10:26 PM
I just think the model will look nicer without the seems at the break. Just to clarify my meaning.

The main reason I aborted in the first place.;)

flexible
06-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Yes, only if you can start a grass fire, when it hits.

abaser
06-07-2012, 08:35 AM
While setting up pods for my servo connections, I ran across something I don't understand. On my rudder, I currently have two rods to simulate a pull-pull setup, which Im going to change to just a single rod setup. I set a moveable pod to the left side and situated things so it worked properly. I then set another for the right side. Doing this affected the left side as well. Now, I know in a perfect world, I could use a symmetrical pod, but I rotated my pivots for these rods to match the rudder pivot. Therefore when I try to set my x axis setting, well, you know what happens. Things move wrong.

My question is why does adding a second pod to the rudder affect the first to this extreme?

(and yes, I know my tail gear is screwed up;))

Fly_electric
06-07-2012, 08:50 AM
Terminology 101:
For the education of us newbies, please provide define-- in general-- what pods are and their usage.

Thanks

abaser
06-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Pods are component frames you use to get things like servo arms and rods to move.

flexible
06-07-2012, 09:19 AM
You can only do it the way you have it named in the kex, when it comes in. You can not change mid stream.

Fly_electric
06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Thanks.
Sooo much to learn!:D

abaser
06-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Ive been doing this type of stuff for nearly 2 years, and I have only begun to scratch the surface of what's possible. Granted, I dont mess around in the editor much, but that aspect is a little out of my league. Im starting to try and learn it, but Ive got a loooong way to go yet.

Boof69
06-07-2012, 01:17 PM
The pivot should be set right where the push rod attaches to the control horn and that rod should be parented to the horn as well. If that setup was then copied in max to the opposite side then a symmetrical pod will move them identically. The movement shown in your pics is strange and not consistent with the conventional setup.

abaser
06-07-2012, 01:33 PM
I just checked my file, and the parenting was wrong. The left side was linked to the right.:o

Anyway, like I said, I was just practicing on it. The left side will be deleted on the final model. Ive still got to remap the fuse to allow for the sunken deck that Snoopy made me do:p and tweak the physics a bit. I find it funny that when RF6 came out, we were noticing that the ailerons weren't as effective as before. This thing is wickedly fast on controls. At 2/3 throttle, you can get about 3 rolls per second at 20 degrees of throw.

Boof69
06-07-2012, 01:48 PM
What speeds are you seeing. The faster you go the more effective the control surfaces are. Up to a point of coarse.

phrank
06-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Thanks.

Are you threatening to become a modeler soon? :D

abaser
06-07-2012, 03:57 PM
What speeds are you seeing. The faster you go the more effective the control surfaces are. Up to a point of coarse.

not real sure off hand. I've went down to a .40 with a 10x5 prop to slow it down, but that didn't affect the roll rate much.

flexible
06-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Did you add the controll surfaces to the wings, or did you make wings for controll surfaces. If the later, turn down the lift, which makes the wing/controll surface less efective.
Post a screenshot of the wire frame

Madratter
06-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks.

Jump in! The water is fine. ;) Seriously, try modeling. You seem to have the interest to make it work.

abaser
06-07-2012, 05:09 PM
Did you add the controll surfaces to the wings, or did you make wings for controll surfaces. If the later, turn down the lift, which makes the wing/controll surface less efective.
Post a screenshot of the wire frame

Controls are added to the wing.

Fly_electric
06-07-2012, 07:39 PM

He is probably flying somewhere a little less than the speed of light...;)

Fly_electric
06-07-2012, 07:44 PM
You seem to have the interest to make it work.
Thanks Madratter, I do.
No threats, no promises though....
:)

Madratter
06-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Thanks Madratter, I do.
No threats, no promises though....
:)

Hey the desire has to come from you. But if you have the desire, the guys around here are really great at helping you out.

Fly_electric
06-08-2012, 05:52 AM
I currently have two rods to simulate a pull-pull setup, which I'm going to change to just a single rod setup

Forgot to ask this before, why the change? Just personal preference, or something max/RF related?

abaser
06-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Completely a preference thing. I have never really seen a pull-pull using solid rods, and I just dont feel it is an accurate setup for this model.

Fly_electric
06-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Now that you mention it, have never seen rod pull-pull in the real world either. Wires yes, solid no. Wonder if MR's FE2b has animated "wire" pull-pulls. Nice thing there is he will never have to worry about wire stretching in RF!

opjose
06-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Now that you mention it, have never seen rod pull-pull in the real world either. Wires yes, solid no. Wonder if MR's FE2b has animated "wire" pull-pulls. Nice thing there is he will never have to worry about wire stretching in RF!

http://images.rcuniverse.com/gallery/photos/216965/lg-200508.jpg

Here you go... the rudder is on a solid pull-pull...

Very tight, efficient and slop-free.

Fly_electric
06-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Thank you for sharing that opjose!
Am now officially informed of an example :)

A very clean and well done installation!

abaser
06-08-2012, 11:36 PM
And Snoopy makes it to RF:D Too bad I lost my edit by overwriting the model:mad: I really got to learn how to import things without problems.

For some reason my wheels are egg shaped. Troubles from going from Blender to max? Who knows, but is there a way to round them out again? If not, no biggie, but wings has a circularize option so I figure max must have something close to it.

Madratter
06-08-2012, 11:45 PM
I wonder if your whole plane got stretched in the y. I noticed when I brought my plane over from blender, that everything in my x axis was offset slightly.

Boof69
06-08-2012, 11:46 PM
The Max equivalent is "spherify", but I don't think it will for this application. The easy way would be to select the wheel then activate the scale tool. Now just make the Y and Z measurements match. I would say in this situation shrink the Y to match the Z measurement.

abaser
06-08-2012, 11:50 PM
I have actually thought the same thing ever since I brought it into RF. The whole thing looks stretched to me. I was just checking the dimensions of the wheels in the object properties, and it shows that the Y and Z axis are the same. However, if you look closely in the screeny I just posted of Snoopy, you can see what Im talking about.

Boof69
06-08-2012, 11:51 PM
If MR is right about the whole model being stretched you can use the wheel Y Z offset to find what % of stretch has occurred then just select the whole model and shrink the Y by that %.

Boof69
06-08-2012, 11:53 PM
What do the numbers at the bottom of the screen show when the wheel is selected and you have the scale tool active and "view is the reference coordinate.

abaser
06-08-2012, 11:58 PM
Here's another. Max is showing 7.177 as the scale of the Y and Z axis. I assume that means 7.177". In RF, I see 2.8:confused:

abaser
06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
You mean like this?

Boof69
06-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Try this. First do a save as of your max file so you can try a reset xform. Then see if the numbers read correctly. I say do a save as because I think a reset xfom cannot be ctrl+z'd.

abaser
06-09-2012, 12:08 AM
When you say reset xform, are you talking about resetting to defaults? If so, there were no changes.

Boof69
06-09-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm looking at it in RF and it is definitely stretched. I would probably use the tape to measure the Y and Z or the wheel. Then do what I've already explained.

jeffpn
06-09-2012, 06:44 AM
Andy, I don't think this is your first stretched plane. I seem to recall a couple of your planes looking that way. Go Blender!!

Madratter
06-09-2012, 10:56 AM
I just checked the wheels on my FE2b to see if I also had this problem going from Blender to 3dsmax. It was certainly possible since I was using the same method of doing the import that Andy did. My wheels came through fine.

abaser
06-09-2012, 01:40 PM
How do the look in RF? Ive noticed RF exaggerates what I see in Max. Zoom in close and taxi around slowly. You may not notice it in Max as easily.

abaser
06-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Things appear fixed, in Max at least.

abaser
06-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Ok, something is screwy here. I opened my file back up, and things looked stretched again (you can see what I mean by comparing it to the rotate widget). So, I opened up the measure tool, and the Y and Z measurements are different. When I rotate the wheels like they are, I cant see a wobble. Change the settings to where they match, and the wobble is back. Oh well, I'm leaving for a week anyway as of tomorrow, so this one will have to wait a few days.

Madratter
06-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Have a great time, and try to forget the model for a bit. Enjoy :)

abaser
06-09-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks, and I will. Just found out that where we are going has gotten nearly 14" of rain the past couple days, and chances for more are pretty good for the next week. Maybe we can hit the beach between showers.

And what are you talking about forgetting? What's a model?:p

abaser
06-16-2012, 08:17 AM
After a week in the sun, I finally got back to this, and Im about ready to call it quits already and just start over. This stretching thing is driving me crazy. Now there's another problem. In Max, scale is reading correctly, but in RF, it's half the size it should be. I havent touched anything but the wheels. I based this model on the original model, with a different name since I have some physics work done already. Since Im new to the editor thing, am I reading things wrong here? Or is my model really half sized?

jeffpn
06-16-2012, 08:35 AM
You Max people sure have problems!!! :p

abaser
06-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Ive said it before.............It's just me:p

jeffpn
06-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Nah, Max stinks for modeling! If you want to build an AWESOME model, you GOTTA use Wings 3D!!! :D

Madratter
06-16-2012, 11:22 AM
After a week in the sun, I finally got back to this, and Im about ready to call it quits already and just start over. This stretching thing is driving me crazy. Now there's another problem. In Max, scale is reading correctly, but in RF, it's half the size it should be. I havent touched anything but the wheels. I based this model on the original model, with a different name since I have some physics work done already. Since Im new to the editor thing, am I reading things wrong here? Or is my model really half sized?

I'm not seeing the problem you are, and as you know, I also moved my model from blender. I did end up rescaling once in 3ds max, but the measure is consistent with what I am seeing in RF6.

If you click on the very top item in the physics editor, what does it say the graphical width is for your model?

If your physics doesn't have multiple wing sections, then your wing length ought to be close to half the wing span. It won't be precisely half because of the fuselage sits between the two wings.

abaser
06-16-2012, 12:04 PM
In looking at MRs suggestion, I noticed that the vehicle scale was set at 57%:confused: Changing that to 100% fixed the problem. One more blunder on my part Im sure.:p Don't suppose that there is a setting that would cause my wheels to be egg shaped?:D

Boof69
06-16-2012, 01:46 PM
This is how you fix the wheel deal.

Boof69
06-16-2012, 01:47 PM
JK andy:p

abaser
06-16-2012, 01:49 PM
D'oh!! I would've noticed that different font for clarity.:p

Boof69
06-16-2012, 01:56 PM
This problem has me stumped. It has to be from the import/export between blunder and Max. Unless you selected all of your objects and accidentally scaled in the Y.

abaser
06-16-2012, 02:02 PM
At least I'm not the only one with that thought. I will redo them anyway, I just wanted to figure it out first. Oh, well.

abaser
06-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Out with the old, in with the new. Well, it's a start with the new anyway.

Fly_electric
06-18-2012, 02:13 PM
This is how you fix the wheel deal.

Apparently you have access to the special "fixes for all modeler problems" version of RF :D

Boof69
06-18-2012, 03:53 PM
shhh.... Its a special version no one is supposed to know about.;)

abaser
06-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Wheel and gear finished. A bit poly heavy as I was reading the counter wrong, but Im still in good shape.

Madratter
06-18-2012, 09:17 PM
With almost 3350 Polys to play with, you're doing fine. Are you redoing the entire model??

abaser
06-18-2012, 09:35 PM
I haven't made up my mind yet. With the wheel problem, I'm a little leary of it, but everything does look good in RF. Maybe just a tad bit stretched though.

Boof69
06-18-2012, 09:37 PM
What's stopping you from selecting everything but the wheels and scaling by eye?

abaser
06-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Nothing. I just want to make sure it's a good model with no hidden surprises.

abaser
06-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Other than a few physics tweaks and a couple mapping issues, I believe this one is finally done. (Oh, and Im changing that horrible spinner color too:p)

Fly_electric
06-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Excellent!!

abaser
02-19-2013, 01:32 AM
As I was looking for something that was buried deep in my files, I happened across this little jewel. After opening the max file, this one seems scaled correctly, even has an AV in RF for it.:D It needs a lot of tweaking, but it is close to release ready. Maybe Ill do a batch release of a couple others I have in the mix all at once.

jeffpn
02-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Nice pilot!!

abaser
02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
You like that, eh? Wonder where I got him.:p

abaser
02-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Im having some troubles with this model still. While I had a minute, I did some work in Max to fix a couple mapping issues and exported a new kex. I changed the name to what I and the final model name to be.

Here's where things go wrong. I did some CS work last night on the old model and everything went as usual. Upon importing my new kex, I get the usual "you already have the CS popup. I choose to overwrite the file and immediately get errors saying that the CS file doesnt exist in the RF CS folder ending in an aborted import. So, I try again, this time choosing to not overwrite the file, which as usual, gives me a solid white model in sim (Others results may vary on that issue as Ive been told). When I try to save a new CS, I cant because the "Texture doesn't Exist" according to RF.

After getting frustrated, I go back to the old file and notice that the old CS is showing again. I try to choose the CS I want, and its no longer available as an option. I check the RF CS folder, and its gone.

After redoing the CS real quick to the way I had it last night, I tried all of this again, and got the same results. Anyone have any ideas? Ive never had a proble, like this before. Ive always been able to at least save a new CS from a model that is in the sim, but not this time.:confused:

flexible
02-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Has happened to me many times. If a model is in the sim with one name and has a CS name you gave it, you can not use either of those names on other models, (conflick).
Solution, when you import the kex, If you're model is going to have a defferant name, then the CS MUST have a defferant name. Overwriteing or not overwriteing has no efect. You can not assign more than one model names to the same CS name.

abaser
02-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks Flex. I could have swore that I had done exactly what I was trying to do before, but guess not. Anyway, anyone have any tips on removing a bad AO map from a CS after losing the psd?