PDA

View Full Version : The RYAN STA Build Thread

Boof69
03-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Opjose requested the RYAN STA so now that I'm finished finally with the Corsair I'm getting a jump on this one. This will be a RC version using the Black horse ARF as a reference but it won't be limited to that.
I got the studio setup for it so far.

Maj. Numbskully
03-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Are we on a mission to Re-do all of RFs stock Aircraft boof? :p

willsonman
03-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Dont poke fun.. some of it needs it.

Boof69
03-01-2012, 10:32 PM
That wasn't the plan but now that you mention it..........:cool:
No I'm just fulfilling a request. The current Ryan is lacking apparently according to Opjose. I think I agree.

opjose
03-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah!!!!!

Please add the flaps which the RF model was missing.

Better to go with the scale version too.

Boof69
03-02-2012, 01:48 PM
How scale do you mean OP?

opjose
03-02-2012, 01:57 PM
How scale do you mean OP?

The RF version is pretty basic.

The image you have up already as the basis for your work looks great.

I would personally prefer to see a detailed Ryan racer on par with some of your other EXCEPTIONAL efforts.

The colorschemes can be dumbed down to correspond with RC versions, like the BH version ( which IMO is prettier than the old Great Planes version ).

Boof69
03-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Full scale details are more fun anyways because there is so much more reference material to be found. I like this plan.

U-Bird
03-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Sounds like the beginings of another spectacular WINNER in the making!!!

Boof69
03-02-2012, 08:11 PM
I hope it turns out great.:)

U-Bird
03-02-2012, 08:36 PM
The Ryan ST's, LOTS of fasteners,of different types, and LOTS of fabric and rib tapes and stitching, so HOW SCALE do we want it, and BOOF's magic will bring it to life for us. Scent of another winner, how sweet it is.
Detail shots

U-Bird
03-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Though she looks good, all polished and clean, put some color on her and she REALLY looks WELL DRESSED.

opjose
03-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm already salivating!

What a great looking plane.

A bit of Boof magic and WOW!

12oclockhigh
03-03-2012, 06:47 AM
As long as it doesn't have a hooters advert on it... I am good.

U-Bird
03-03-2012, 03:57 PM
The little Ryan ST was even put in UNIFORM, and became the PT-16. Though she never seemed to attain a LETHAL look about her, she always reached out and said, LET's FLY. These shots are a good studdt of the unserside od the plane with all the "Inspection Rings" and fittings.
This is incase Opjose and "Merlin-the Boof" get togather and decide that this should be a Scale Master or Top Gun QUALITY Scale RC Model. Then it's all in the detail.

U-Bird
03-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Detai of intrest shots.

U-Bird
03-03-2012, 04:05 PM
More detail

U-Bird
03-03-2012, 04:13 PM
From all angles, the Ryan ST seried always looked ready to get up and fly.Every time I see one at Sun-n-Fun, I hope to run into a pilot who will look at me, and say, I can see it in your eyes, so......Let's Fly!!! I also hope at that moment that the cost won't break the bank......LOL

Boof69
03-04-2012, 09:39 PM
So today I've got some progress on the Ryan. I decided to do some renders. I noticed a few things are off about my model so far that will be rectified. I thought that I would just cut the flaps from the the single surface that I have separated so far but I now see that the ailerons and flaps don not share the same chord measurement. I also assumed the rudder partial and stopped at the fuse but it is full length. The tail cone is affixed to the rudder and slips inside the skin of the fuse and has cutouts to avoid contacting parts within. Anyways I'm still posting the renders even though they show the mistakes.

opjose
03-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Heh, it already has more detail than the included version! :D

Boof69
03-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Already?
So I got the aileron and wing joint sorted as well as the flap and wing butt joint. The rudder and the tail cone are now one piece and moves well in the rear section of fuse. Here are some pics.

Madratter
03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
I can't get over how easy you guys make this look. :) I do know there are a lot of hours into the plane, but still your rate of progress and how nice everything looks just leaves me in the dust.

Boof69
03-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Your doing far better than I did when I first started character modeling 6 years ago. You have a raw talent for it. I would suggest that you watch tutorials on YouTube for a technique boost. Don't worry about it being organic modeling or something really different from modeling airplanes. You can learn allot about the hidden tools in your software that make modeling faster and more precise. Abaser and I have been talking and he said that blender has allot of tools disabled by default. Maybe Andy can expand on what he has done here in this thread for all I care. I watch allot of the high speed modeling of cars to find new techniques that other modelers are using. One thing that you may find interesting is reading up on "edge flow". Modeling with edgeflow in mind will turn out very smooth models. This is why just sticking a wing into a roundish fuse looks sub par. Directing the fuse edgeflow into the wing makes a clean smooth transition. Another good thing to learn is re topologizing your geometry. I will make a part in a very fast way to get its general shape then I will draw in new edges that better follow the nature of the part. This will often result in a lower poly count as well.
One last point- silhouette is very important for low poly models. If you think of the most common view of these airplane (left side,right side, top, and bottom) and concentrate polys in the curved areas the model will come out much nicer in the end. I you have long straight areas such as wing root to wing tip there is no need to have many if any perpendicular edges in areas like these. Also it is almost impossible for the viewer to notice the exact airfoil shape so to have allot of longitudinal lines delineating the airfoil is highly unnecessary. Probably way more than you wanted me to say sorry. You are doing terrific so keep it up.

abaser
03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
As for the tools, Under file>user preferences>add ons, scroll down through them and see what you may find interesting, or beneficial and turn them on. My recommendation is to turn on the last four options under "mesh" (inset polygon, relax, loop tools, and vertex slide). Each of these has several different tools inside and allow you to do some beneficial modeling without going through a bunch of unnecessary steps. Take inset for example. Select a face and click inset. You will then create a face inside of a face. In the tool bar there is an option to scale the newly made face to the size you want, but that must be done immediately after making the new face. Then you can extrude, move, or whatever you need to after that.

Be aware of the options the have the caution sign beside them (pretty self explanatory). Those are beta tools and may or may not work properly for you. They also eat the faces off your current model if you go back in versions:p

Madratter
03-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Probably way more than you wanted me to say sorry.

While that was way more than I was looking for, I'm very glad to have it. One problem as a beginner is that we don't know what is important to learn vs what is nice to learn (or in some cases what is worthless).

Thanks! :D

Madratter
03-06-2012, 02:49 PM
As for the tools, Under file>user preferences>add ons, scroll down through them and see what you may find interesting, or beneficial and turn them on. My recommendation is to turn on the last four options under "mesh" (inset polygon, relax, loop tools, and vertex slide). Each of these has several different tools inside and allow you to do some beneficial modeling without going through a bunch of unnecessary steps. Take inset for example. Select a face and click inset. You will then create a face inside of a face. In the tool bar there is an option to scale the newly made face to the size you want, but that must be done immediately after making the new face. Then you can extrude, move, or whatever you need to after that.

Be aware of the options the have the caution sign beside them (pretty self explanatory). Those are beta tools and may or may not work properly for you. They also eat the faces off your current model if you go back in versions:p

Ah! Now I know how you did your wing rib bump technique!

abaser
03-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Mmmmmm...........not exactly;)

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25989&page=10

Boof69
03-06-2012, 03:10 PM
These are some videos I made recently after Andy's request for other modelers techniques concerning making a fuselage. There is no sound and some of the videos are hard to see because of youtube video compression, and they are made in 3DSMax but the concepts play in any software I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGtC4IBy_Nc Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtsDzdJK5mM Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0O_8C845w Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vABqhimcboQ Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsPPYPRf69k Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0zUIe_b7A0 Part 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsD7epwnB7o Lofting a wing from splines

Boof69
03-06-2012, 11:11 PM
This is today's progress. I've added the landing gear, exhaust, cowl intakes, and guy wires. The Ryan has a seal over the front cockpit I decided to model it instead of doing it in the bump. These are some clay renders and a few shots of the mesh.

Jed_Sanders
03-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Wow, fantastic!

Thanks for the video links, watching them makes me want to re-do my spitfire!

Boof69
03-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks and your welcome.:)

frontman
03-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Will you be putting a pilot in it? these open cockpits just don't look quite right flying without one. Just saying. Still appreciate the work even if you don't.

Maj. Numbskully
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
See the release notes for .035 regarding Pilot figures:
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?p=223209#post223209

Boof69
03-07-2012, 05:54 PM
That's a jet fighter pilot. Won't really jive with the Ryan me thinks. I'll let you know some time later frontman. Just too early to tell how many polys I will have to play with.

On another note, the Ryan has a two piece wheel pant and gear cover. The lower wheel pant moves with the wheel. To accomplish this I had to put the ~CS_LG, and ~CS_RG components into a pivoting frame. It all works great on the ground, but as soon as it's airborn the wheel and wheel pant vibrate rapidly. If anyone could tell me if there is a way to stop this or if it's a glich I would appreciate it.

opjose
03-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Oooh sweet you modeled the shocks too!

That sounds more like a physics problem, though I could be wrong.

I'd have to see what you've done to look for a solution.

Boof69
03-09-2012, 01:32 PM
This is what I have so far. All the flight physics are in their infancy so don't expect much in that area.

Madratter
03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I just tried it out. The one thing that caught me off guard until I figured out what was going on is that you have working elevator trim tabs on Channel six. Quite cool. :D Until I figured that out, I couldn't figure out why it wanted to descend when upright and ascend when inverted.

Boof69
03-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Like I said the physics are no where near complete. The purpose of this posting was to find the problem with the vibrating landing gear.

flexible
03-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I can't speak to the gear, but on foamies I have had a fluter isue before when I got eather weight or strenght to light. I think all I did to fix it was increase the weight of the flutering part. Fixed.

Boof69
03-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Sorry flex no dice that was one of the first things I tried when this problem reared it's annoying head.

Madratter
03-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Like I said the physics are no where near complete. The purpose of this posting was to find the problem with the vibrating landing gear.

Oh, it wasn't a physics problem at all. I just hadn't realized that there were working trim elevator trim tabs. That is a good thing. :D

Boof69
03-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Thanks MR :)

opjose
03-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Great I'll have a look tomorrow.

Madratter
03-09-2012, 02:53 PM
It is the right and left shock. You can prove this by deleting the left and right main gear children. It will still happen. If you delete the shock and all children, it does not happen.

You can also stop it by changing the rotation maximum and minimum values under the shocks to zero instead of 2.5.

Of course, that kind of does away with the point. But at least now you know specifically where the problem is.

Boof69
03-09-2012, 03:02 PM
You don't understand what I'm trying to accomplish MR. I put those there on purpose to animate the wheel and wheel pants while on the ground. That works great but when it's in the air they vibrate. I could just set them up as conventional landing gear if I didn't want the shock animation. Thanks for taking time to look at it but the solution is not that simple.

Madratter
03-09-2012, 03:33 PM
You don't understand what I'm trying to accomplish MR. I put those there on purpose to animate the wheel and wheel pants while on the ground. That works great but when it's in the air they vibrate. I could just set them up as conventional landing gear if I didn't want the shock animation. Thanks for taking time to look at it but the solution is not that simple.

I realized that. That is why I said, "Of course, that kind of does away with the point."

Unfortunately, I was not able to find a way that would enable the shocks to work that at the same time, did not allow things to continue to vibrate. But what I showed beyond any doubt is that it is the shocks, and that it happens even without the children (the landing gear and wheels).

Boof69
03-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but of course that was what was causing it. I always knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that is where the problem is. What's causing it glitch or what was the question. Do you have any other ideas?

Madratter
03-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Unfortunately, the two things that seem to affect it, the spring stiffness and the rotation angles (min and max) cause vibrations at any reasonable value. You can get some really ridiculous affects by setting either of those larger. For example set the angles to 25 and -25 instead of 2.5 and -2.5. The thing is like a pogo stick. But it doesn't visibly affect the vibration of the wheels much.

I'm afraid this just doesn't work in a way that I would call reasonable in this application at all. I'm not sure if it is technically a bug. But as shocks, this single axis pivoting frame just doesn't work right.

Boof69
03-09-2012, 04:11 PM
That's what I've been thinking. I have used it in the past for this very thing as have other designers except I normally use it for a spring type tail gear. I was hoping that someone may have run into this before. I'll hold on to this idea for a bit longer until some of the veterans have had a look at it. If it can't be solved then at least I will get some polys back.

willsonman
03-10-2012, 09:04 AM
Have you tried making the wheel pants from a moveable pod? Detatchable item is for bombs and such. Dont forget to label your wheels as having pants.

Boof69
03-10-2012, 08:37 PM
I only have the wheel pants added as a detachable for the shape. Useful for aerodynamics. If I put them in a movable pod how will the ground make them move? They are attached within a pivoting frame to achieve the animation. As I've said before none of the physics setup should be paid attention to as they are not even close to finalized. I only attached the file to find a solution for the described problem. I do see your points but they are not directly relevant. Thanks.

opjose
03-14-2012, 02:52 PM
I haven't had a chance to finish it, but I THINK I can eliminate the vibration by DECREASING the spring strength to about 20% or less and adjusting the postion and length of the struts and gear.

The "shocks" still work properly this way, but they don't vibrate in the air.

An alternative would be to use a POD as Wilsonman suggested but connected to a pivoting frame to try to lessen or remove the vibration effect.

I wonder if the sim is treating the wheel pants as a wing surface in flutter?

willsonman
03-14-2012, 03:14 PM
That is what I was thinking but changing the aerodynamics does not kill the flutter unless you increase weight by a more-than-scale amount. That is why I suggested a pod since RF apparently treats pods differently. Dunno why but there it is.

Boof69
03-14-2012, 03:42 PM
I guess another layer of separation may work in some way. I'll try the pod in a pivoting frame thing.

Boof69
03-15-2012, 04:32 PM
So no luck on any thing I try to get the gear to work. None of the suggestions help. It seams that having a component listed in the pivoting frame is the culprit. If I leave it blank the vibration stops but sadly so does the animation.
Today I finished the pilot I will use in the Ryan. He is 3,698 polys and I think I will map him and include him on the CS. So the colors you see in these pics are just temporary poly paint.

Madratter
03-15-2012, 05:16 PM
So no luck on any thing I try to get the gear to work. None of the suggestions help. It seams that having a component listed in the pivoting frame is the culprit. If I leave it blank the vibration stops but sadly so does the animation.
Today I finished the pilot I will use in the Ryan. He is 3,698 polys and I think I will map him and include him on the CS. So the colors you see in these pics are just temporary poly paint.

Wow. Nice job.

Maj. Numbskully
03-15-2012, 08:28 PM
Very nice pilot boof ...If I may put in my 2 cents............ I think he should have his goggles down ......jmo

Boof69
03-15-2012, 08:31 PM
That just may happen. The goggles are still a separate object.

Boof69
03-15-2012, 11:25 PM
This is how my pilot looks in the Ryan STA.

opjose
03-16-2012, 04:51 PM
This one is going to be yet another amazing work.

It's too bad about the shocks.

I wonder if you could still get the desired effect by "cheating" a bit...

e.g. making the virtual wheel pants affixed to a physics only, standard "A" type springy landing gear, like on a trainer.

Boof69
03-16-2012, 05:05 PM
I thought that I could still put in some animation by making them springy retracts (that don't retract of coarse) that way the wheel will move up and down within the wheel pant.

opjose
03-16-2012, 05:22 PM
That should work.

The rough model you put up, already flies pretty well with only a minor adjustment to C.G. and tail incidence.

The Knife Edge version flew fine and somewhat close to mine, but it was a very low poly model with almost no details.

The Ryan looks like a "pilots" plane in my book, and I like that you're giving it the Boof treatment.

Boof69
03-17-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm happy you seem happy. :) I will take notes from the KE Ryan for physics, but I'll send you an EA when I get it where I think it's good. We can bat it around between us until it's ripe.
I put allot of work into the cockpit. Stringers, formers, flap lever, elevator trim tab wheel, throttle controls, rudder pedals and pilot. None of the parts will be animated, just a static cockpit. I also added the fairings on the wings h-stab and v-stab, and the little dorsal stiffener. I finished the collision mesh as well. All I have left to model is the fuel filler and fuel level indicator. The poly count sits at 19,200. I will start mapping first part of next week. Hope to get this one done relatively soon.
Here's a few more clays.

willsonman
03-17-2012, 06:12 AM
Dont forget hinges on your control surfaces ;)

Boof69
03-17-2012, 08:45 AM
could be a costly add but I'll see what I can do.

Boof69
03-19-2012, 12:31 AM
So I guess Sunday is technically the first part of the week so I started the mapping.
I'm now using Max 2012 exclusively and was worried about the big revamp from all previous versions. Not anymore! The mapping tool set and workflow are way more powerful than I expected. The wheel pants and cowl were parts I was not looking forward to mapping but the new quick peel made very short work of it. I'm impressed.
The model itself is completely mapped but I still want to map the pilot. I think that won't be too bad though. So maybe I'll be onto the CS tomorrow night or Tuesday.
:)

opjose
03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Consider making the googles a movable part ( so they can be raised and lowered ) and likewise for the pilot's head, so it can be linked to elevator and ailerons.

Boof69
03-21-2012, 01:15 AM
I don't think the goggles will be a movable part. I can't make it look right. I may be able to make the head move but I made the neck in such a way that the head doesn't look good moving. He looks very nice static but you will see soon anyways op.
So I went out with friends and got in late. I can't sleep so I thought I would post an update.
Everything is mapped including the pilot so I layed in a bit of color. The glass is almost invisible i know I will change that soon enough.
Screens from RF....

U-Bird
03-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Lookin GOOD!!! This is going to be ANOTHER fine MASTERPIECE!!!

opjose
03-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Now THAT'S a Ryan STA!

Boof69
03-23-2012, 11:17 PM
Today was a very good day for progress on the Ryan. I layed in most if not all of the color and the specular is about done. Tomorrow I should be able to start the bump map. I should have this one wrapped up early next week.

Maj. Numbskully
03-23-2012, 11:26 PM
YA looks GOOD to ME TOO
:p

Ghost129er
03-24-2012, 01:02 AM
This is the best Ryan, I have ever seen, Wow WOW!
-From the Best burrito song.

Ghost129er

Boof69
03-28-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm gearing up for a late night tonight release. What I have left to do is just some of the fabric tapes on the flight surfaces, and a few CS tweaks here and there. I did go with the Maj's suggestion to put the goggles down over the pilots eyes and I think it looks good. The IP is covered with a high res shot of the actual IP in the bird I'm taking the CS from with normal and spec applied. Leather texture on the cockpit pad is on the punch list tonight. Here are some screens from in the sim.

U-Bird
03-28-2012, 09:36 PM
WOW!!!!That is 1 FOXY Lady!!!

Boof69
03-29-2012, 01:05 AM
Thanks Rick.
I didn't make it this evening. :( After a few setbacks with renders and a force close in photoshop I fell way behind for today. I think I have it sorted though. I don't know if I will have time tomorrow to finish or not, but it should be before the weekend.

Madratter
03-29-2012, 01:58 AM
Sorry to hear that. I'm looking forward to it. I completely understand though. There was a point with my Crack Yak where I had to drop back to a previous days save. Sometimes, things just don't go as you had hoped.

Boof69
03-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Actually it may have been a good thing. I was unhappy with a few things anyways that I will now be redoing. It's my fault for not saving more often. It's a simple matter of hitting ctrl+s. I just get into some of the details and I forget.
I wish I had more polys for the Ryan so I could give it a custom visual prop which is new in the latest beta. I think I have 7 left. Argg! If I knew that was coming I would have reserved polys for it. I do have some time this morning to work on it hopefully I'll get far.

Maj. Numbskully
03-29-2012, 04:30 PM
No ........................"He's The Most Interesting Man In The World ! .
:p

Boof69
03-29-2012, 06:21 PM
So it seams the propellers are imported separately from the model so Since it won't count towards my polys I may be making a custom prop. I wonder how that works for the end user though. Will the prop just come with?

Boof69
03-29-2012, 08:58 PM
I don't know if many of you remember magic eye paintings from 15 years ago or more, but this is kind of the same thing. (A little)
This is a cross eyed 3d or 3d stereogram. I've set up two slightly different angled renders of the Ryan side by side in one picture. They can combine to make one lightly 3d image in the middle.
Double click the image below.
Sit back a bit from the screen. (2 1/2 to 3 ft)
Cross your eyes a bit extreme at first until the image starts to focus into a single image with two blurred versions on either side.
Once the image starts to focus you can relax your eyes a bit.
You should now see a 3D image without glasses or any other aid.
Just as with magic eye once you get it to work it's easier to keep it focused.
The 3D effect mostly is in depth instead of popping out of the screen.

U-Bird
03-30-2012, 12:10 PM
A CUSTOM Prop??? You would not by ANY chance mean, a BEAUTIFUL, All WOOD, of LAMINATED construction,with RIVETED and SODERED Leading Edge Protection, and a wonderful hand rubbed High Gloss Varnished finish type of propellor???
You certainlly wouldn't do that for us and put it on your magnificent RYAN and expect us to be, well.............happy with all your hard work?? NAW!!!! W couldn't be so LUCKY, but if we are,...........HOT....DIGGITY.........DANGED!!!!

Boof69
03-30-2012, 12:16 PM
I won't know how detailed a prop can be until Ryan puts out the tut thread for props. But yes I do plan on the prop you described. If bump can be applied even better.:)

Madratter
03-30-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't know if many of you remember magic eye paintings from 15 years ago or more, but this is kind of the same thing. (A little)
This is a cross eyed 3d or 3d stereogram. I've set up two slightly different angled renders of the Ryan side by side in one picture. They can combine to make one lightly 3d image in the middle.
Double click the image below.
Sit back a bit from the screen. (2 1/2 to 3 ft)
Cross your eyes a bit extreme at first until the image starts to focus into a single image with two blurred versions on either side.
Once the image starts to focus you can relax your eyes a bit.
You should now see a 3D image without glasses or any other aid.
Just as with magic eye once you get it to work it's easier to keep it focused.
The 3D effect mostly is in depth instead of popping out of the screen.

Worked great and looks really good. :D

Boof69
03-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Youtube has 3d stereogram animations. They look very deep. Just a novelty I know, but interesting. :)

opjose
03-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Here is a trick to more easily view Boof's image if you are unused to viewing unassisted (glassless) stereograms.

Save the picture to your machine and open it in Windows Picture and Fax viewer.

Drag the right corner of the viewer to make the image MUCH smaller, smaller than a postage stamp.

Now try focusing you gaze to get the 3D effect.

Once you are "locked in" with your eyes. while looking at the image drag the right corner a bit to make the image larger. Your eyes will attempt to keep the 3D image in focus.

Boof69
03-30-2012, 04:24 PM
This is the prop I've made for the Ryan. I have read the preliminary instructions about custom props so I know I need to cut this into a single blade and make a counter clockwise blade. Also It needs to be sized correctly. _n and _s maps are not supported yet so this is pretty much the finished product.

opjose
03-30-2012, 04:28 PM
WOW... that's going to look fantastic on this plane.

U-Bird
03-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Simpley magical,........... and just as I described. OUTSTANDING!!!!

Boof69
03-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Thank guys I think custom props will add a little something extra to allot of models.
Here it is installed in some bright renders.

U-Bird
03-30-2012, 05:15 PM
yess !!!!

sonofboof
03-30-2012, 06:35 PM
That's great.. Awesome job

brields
03-31-2012, 01:15 AM
I see a future problem in the custom prop. It may not be recognized by the computer it's downloaded to. There for, it will be replaced by a gray disc.
-not good.

Boof69
03-31-2012, 01:18 AM
First of all it would be replaced by the first prop in the list (default).
Second: In the tutorial in states that the custom propeller follows to the end users machine. It's exactly how airport objects work. No worries. :)

Boof69
03-31-2012, 11:15 PM
I found time tonight to do some serious work towards getting the Ryan released. Basically just some cleanup in the RF editor, a description and a final inspection. I could probably get it out tonight but I won't rush it. Tomorrow for sure.
Here are my now customary wallpapers..

abaser
03-31-2012, 11:21 PM
First pic: nice red glow in the eyes of the pilot:p

Boof69
03-31-2012, 11:22 PM
Actually thats his goggles.

Boof69
04-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Here's a few more stereograms of the Ryan for those of you that can get it to work.
These come right from RF itself. The first one works especially well for me. :)

Boof69
04-01-2012, 11:18 AM
This model is done but the swaps will not except the rfx at this time. I think because of the propeller folder that is inside the rfx. Another delay for uploading. Sorry :(

Boof69
04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
The swaps issue is solved I've heard, but only the newest beta version allows for rfx files with custom props to be imported. So I will be waiting until the beta goes public to avoid the inevitable confusion. Just another delay. :(

Madratter
04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Boof, could you upload it here in designers corner for us to mess around with before it goes live? Then you could delete it here once you post to swaps.

Or you could just wait.

Boof69
04-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I may just go ahead and post it a little bit and field the problem questions as they come. It seems the problem is mostly fixed.

Madratter
04-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I may just go ahead and post it a little bit and field the problem questions as they come. It seems the problem is mostly fixed.

If you care at all about ratings (I don't know if you are like Jeff in that regards), you might not want to do that. Someone might try, it won't work, and a 1 gets smacked down :mad:.

Boof69
04-02-2012, 01:08 PM
I used to care allot about ratings for sure. I still do somewhat if I'm honest but I now check out the download count as a meter of interest. More for direction in what models to choose. The space walker for instance has good reviews and carries a ten but the downloads are around 1500 for 5 months. Whereas the corsair has barely been there a month and the downloads are already near 1200. This tells me where the interest is. I'm sure someone will find fault in this line of thinking as well but it's just my opinion.

Boof69
04-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Posted! (http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=16536)

Boof69
04-02-2012, 01:15 PM
What's up with this flex? How do you rate a file before you download it?

Madratter
04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Notice he didn't say it flies great. :D We can already tell it looks great. The smells great, I'm not so sure about.

phrank
04-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Heh. :D That's it, he's off my bucket list.
I was going to take you to a Gentleman's Bar, but you'd spend all our money before we got a chance to sip our first beer and watch the show. :eek: :D

U-Bird
04-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Not only does ths plane LOOK GREAT, She REALLY flies GREAT too!!!
WAY TO GO Boof !!!

flexible
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
What's up with this flex? How do you rate a file before you download it?

I don't have my puter isues soleved yet, so I have not gotten the latest beta. Was just trying to throw you a bone, sory you weren't hungrey.

Boof69
04-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the bone Flex ;)

opjose
04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
It's amazing to see the differences between the original Ryan included with the Sim and Boof's.

Just a TINY BIT of difference, eh? :D:D:D

Awesome work Boof!

Boof69
04-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Thanks Jose. I'm glad you approve of the final product. She was a joy to make and I like her too.
Thanks Rick.

Maj. Numbskully
04-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Rick who?

Boof69
04-02-2012, 04:28 PM
U-Bird is Rick.

pplace
04-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Boof,

The Ryan looks very nice (no shock there) I had a question, just to clarify the subject:

You state in the swap page download that with the use of the custom prop, the model is only able to import into RF6 (beta #such and such)

I assume by this statement, that if someone without that beta were to try and upload the Ryan, instead of a "stock" or default prop taking place of the custom prop (much like a plane / heli might do if a prop from an exp. pack was used and the down loader didn't have that exp. pack) the file would just not import?

I suppose I should have asked this question in the other thread you had discussing the release of this file.

Also before jeffy, phrank, opjose tell me to get RF 6....I'm not frustrated that the file isn't compatible with my old 4.5 Instead I was just curious as to how the software worked, and if there was a difference between "user" custom props and "KE" exp. pack props.

Again, very nice work and details on the build. Also was fun to check out your stereograms you did.

phrank
04-02-2012, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=pplace;225127]
Also before jeffy, phrank, opjose tell me to get RF 6....I'm not frustrated that the file isn't compatible with my old 4.5 Instead I was just curious as to how the software worked, and if there was a difference between "user" custom props and "KE" exp. pack props.QUOTE]

OK.... :D

Boof69
04-02-2012, 06:15 PM
I did upload an AV for G5 that will probably work fine enough for 4.5. The new custom prop feature adds a propeller folder and no other version of RF recognizes the rfx but the most recent beta.

pplace
04-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Okay, thanks for the info / insight into how the custom prop feature is handled Scott.

What's next on the build list?

Boof69
04-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Actually It will either be a request for the Italian built machi 202, or I will be looking for a model that is simple yet having retracts for a back to front video build on youtube. Not quite sure yet.

Madratter
04-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Really nice Boof. I love having the working elevator trim. This plane flies very nicely in a scale manner, but can also be abused 3D style since their is plenty of power to weight.

Boof69
04-02-2012, 09:29 PM
I knew someone would appreciate that. :)

pplace
04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
I did upload an AV for G5 that will probably work fine enough for 4.5.....

Scott,

I failed to notice this portion of your post earlier.

Wouldn't it be impossible for anyone without G6 + beta to import the AV into a previous / older version? (i.e. an AV is "additional" to an EA you would have already imported into the sim. If you can't import the EA, you can't import the AV) Your AV would only work in the G6 + beta as well

Just thought I should point that out, so as to not confuse anyone that would download it.

Boof69
04-02-2012, 10:22 PM
Awe crap I didn't think of that. duh! I'll do an EA hold on........

Boof69
04-03-2012, 12:15 AM
There is a G5 EA now available.