PDA

View Full Version : Blender Exporter

abaser
03-05-2012, 12:03 PM
After possibly losing a file today due to blender version incompatibilities, I thought I'd ask one last time. Is there any way we can get an updated .kex exporter for a newer version of Blender from you guys? I ask simply because the current versions are much easier to use, and I feel more amateur modelers may get involved if they see a free program is supported. I feel it's sad that the only program that's currently supported is financially out of reach for the majority of the members here.

Dont get me wrong, I know you owe us nothing in this matter, but I would just like some form if response on this. I volunteer my efforts to my abilities to help, but my skills are minimal at best.

opjose
03-05-2012, 01:28 PM
As another "fan" of Blender, I'll second this suggestion!

jeffpn
03-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Okay, I'll third it!!

Madratter
03-05-2012, 02:30 PM
+1. I also am using Blender 2.6.2 for my modeling.

a4magic
03-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Why not, count me in. I'll need it later anyways.

jeffpn
03-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Historically speaking, this thread is in the wrong subforum. In the past, mods generally didn't visit the Designer's Corner. Somebody do something worth reporting in this thread!!!

abaser
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
Bite me!:p

Here, I'll report myself.:D

jeffpn
03-05-2012, 07:37 PM
It used to be you couldn't report your own post. Must be a new feature!

abaser
03-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Then I guess it's up to you:D

Zach Brockway
03-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Knife Edge Software has never provided an official Blender export utility, per se. The Blender workflow that I'm familiar with utilizes our standalone 3ds2kex utility. Unless newer versions of Blender have stopped offering the ability to export to a 3ds file, I'm not sure what you're asking for.

abaser
03-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Let me reword this. I want to be able to model in say 2.57, and be able to export the kex from the export menu as I can in 2.49b.

From what I have been told, time and time again, is that the 3ds2kex exporter is only used for Blender 2.49b and cant be used with any other version. If that is not the case, then I will try to work it with a newer version.

jeffpn
03-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I have a new understanding of the Blender script. All it does is do the legwork for you to eliminate the need to work from a DOS prompt. No reason you can't work from the latest version of Blender, export a .3ds, and go to the DOS prompt yourself. I can help you with that part.

abaser
03-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Uhhhh.......watsa dos?:p

maxkop
03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
I have a new understanding of the Blender script. All it does is do the legwork for you to eliminate the need to work from a DOS prompt. No reason you can't work from the latest version of Blender, export a .3ds, and go to the DOS prompt yourself. I can help you with that part.

Sorry Jeff, that's not the case. The 3ds2kex - exporter - script for blender is necessary to be able to generate a working .3ds-file for the 3ds2kex - exporter. That was the reason for the whole script. Many programs are able to export to .3ds, but only a few of them are able to generate a .3ds - file which is accepted by the 3ds2kex - exporter. The basic .3ds - file export script from blender had the same problem. The script is doing a lot more and solve many problems using the .3ds - file format as a base file format for exporting to .kex.

What the script does is the following:

1. Creating a .sup - file for the 3ds2kex - exporter that is read out from the 3ds2kex.exe before generating the .kex - file and including all the changes which could not be resolved by using the .3ds - file directly. For instance transferring hierarchy, correct naming of 3D - objects (especially the 12 character limit of object names in .3ds - files (ever build a heli in Realflight ? -> Definetly more than 12 characters are needed).

2. Creating a full compatible .3ds - file (including full node compatibility, correct pivot orientation, correct uv-mapping including right material naming, especially correct export of object names with "~" sign (and there are many objects which are carrying this sign:))

3. Launching the 3ds2kex - exporter including all the changes and generating the .kex.

While a lot of stuff could be made by manual editing of the .sup - file, the whole work becomes insanly painful when you have hundred of objects to edit and you are not always able to join them all to one object.

The script is still not perfect, but the real limitation is generated through the .3ds-file format itself, how it is defined. We have still UV-Mapping issues because on every UV-island-edge line the vertices of the 3D - objects are splitted up in 2 pairs (one for the one UV-Island, and the second for the other UV-Island which is parting the same UV-Edge). This is a default operation (even 3dsmax does that when it exports to .3ds) and cannot be resolved as long as we are using the .3ds - file format.

When rayvel and I were working very hard on the script and found this error we stopped the developemnt, because as long as KnifeEdge Software don't want to release the .kex - file specifications (and I can completely understand their position) we are simply stuck.

So the best solution would be, to choose another file format which is open source and don't have these issues and a programmer could write or change an existing export script for blender that is generating a "fitting" file for the exporter like we did it before using the .3ds - file format....

As an example how powerfull the script is, I attached the DOS - output of the blender - console while exporting my Agusta Westland EH101. All these operations were necessary and everything happend with 1 click:

Loaded C:\Users\LiHMDS\Desktop\EH101.3ds.
Processing materials.
Material ~ALPHA EH101.tga.
Material ~CANOPY EH101.tga.
Material ~CANOPY EH101.tga.001.
Material ~SBS EH101.tga.
Material ~SBS_EXHAUST EH101.tga.
Material ~SBS_PLASTIC EH101.tga.
Material ~WHEELS EH101.tga.
Processing nodes.
Node ~CS_MH_LEADLAG1.
Node ~CS_MH_LEADLAG2.
Node ~CS_MH_LEADLAG3.
Node ~CS_MH_LEADLAG4.
Node ~CS_MH_LEADLAG5.
Node ~CS_TH_LEADLAG1.
Node ~CS_TH_LEADLAG2.
Node ~CS_TH_LEADLAG3.
Node ~CS_TH_LEADLAG4.
Node FUSELAGE.
Node ~CS_BULB_FLIGHT.
Node ~CS_BULB_PANEL01.
Node ~CS_BULB_PANEL02.
Node ~CS_COLL_FUSELAGE.
Node ~CS_GD1_SG02.
Node ~CS_COLL_SG.
Node ~CS_GD1_SG01.
Node ~CS_SG.
Node ~CS_SW.
Node ~CS_COLL_SW.
Node ~SW.
Node ~CS_LCOLLECTIVE.
Node ~CS_LG.
Node ~CS_COLL_LG.
Node ~CS_GD1_LG.
Node ~CS_LW.
Node ~CS_COLL_LW.
Node ~LW01.
Node ~LW02.
Node ~CS_LSTICK.
Node ~CS_MAINHUB_5BLADE.
Node ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP1.
Node ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP2.
Node ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP3.
Node ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP4.
Node ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP5.
Node ~CS_RCOLLECTIVE.
Node ~CS_RG.
Node ~CS_COLL_RG.
Node ~CS_GD1_RG.
Node ~CS_RW.
Node ~CS_COLL_RW.
Node ~RW01.
Node ~RW02.
Node ~CS_RSTICK.
Node ~CS_TAILBOOM1.
Node ~CS_BULB_BLIGHT.
Node ~CS_BULB_T01LIGHT.
Node ~CS_BULB_T02LIGHT.
Node ~CS_BULB_T03LIGHT.
Node ~CS_COLL_TAILBOOM1.
Node ~CS_HFIN.
Node ~CS_COLL_HFIN.
Node ~CS_VFIN.
Node ~CS_COLL_VFIN.
Node ~CS_TAILHUB_4BLADE.
Node ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP1.
Node ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP2.
Node ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP3.
Node ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP4.
Node ~EXTERNAL1.
Node ~TAILBOOM_END.
Node ~EXHAUST.
Node ~EXTERNAL2.
Node ~FUSE_END.
Node ~GLASSES.
Node ~HOOK.
Node ~INTERNAL.
Node ~CS_MH_DISKMOUNT.
Node ~CS_TH_DISKMOUNT.
Node ~PS_GD1_LG.
Node ~PS_GD1_RG.
Node ~PS_GD1_SG01.
Node ~PS_GD1_SG02.
Node ~PS_LCOLLECTIVE.
Node ~PS_LG.
Node ~PS_LSTICK.
Node ~PS_MAINHUB_5BLADE.
Node ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP1.
Node ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP2.
Node ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP3.
Node ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP4.
Node ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP5.
Node ~PS_RCOLLECTIVE.
Node ~PS_RG.
Node ~PS_RSTICK.
Node ~PS_SG.
Node ~PS_TAILHUB_4BLADE.
Node ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP1.
Node ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP2.
Node ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP3.
Node ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP4.
Reading support file.
Applying properties.
Applying heirarchy.
Reparenting ~CS_MH_LEADLAG1 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP1.
Reparenting ~CS_MH_LEADLAG2 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP2.
Reparenting ~CS_MH_LEADLAG3 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP3.
Reparenting ~CS_MH_LEADLAG4 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP4.
Reparenting ~CS_MH_LEADLAG5 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP5.
Reparenting ~CS_TH_LEADLAG1 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP1.
Reparenting ~CS_TH_LEADLAG2 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP2.
Reparenting ~CS_TH_LEADLAG3 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP3.
Reparenting ~CS_TH_LEADLAG4 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP4.
Reparenting ~PS_GD1_LG to ~CS_GD1_LG.
Reparenting ~PS_GD1_RG to ~CS_GD1_RG.
Reparenting ~PS_GD1_SG01 to ~CS_GD1_SG01.
Reparenting ~PS_GD1_SG02 to ~CS_GD1_SG02.
Reparenting ~PS_LCOLLECTIVE to ~CS_LCOLLECTIVE.
Reparenting ~PS_LG to ~CS_LG.
Reparenting ~PS_LSTICK to ~CS_LSTICK.
Reparenting ~PS_MAINHUB_5BLADE to ~CS_MAINHUB_5BLADE.
Reparenting ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP1 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP1.
Reparenting ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP2 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP2.
Reparenting ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP3 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP3.
Reparenting ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP4 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP4.
Reparenting ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP5 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP5.
Reparenting ~PS_RCOLLECTIVE to ~CS_RCOLLECTIVE.
Reparenting ~PS_RG to ~CS_RG.
Reparenting ~PS_RSTICK to ~CS_RSTICK.
Reparenting ~PS_SG to ~CS_SG.
Reparenting ~PS_TAILHUB_4BLADE to ~CS_TAILHUB_4BLADE.
Reparenting ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP1 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP1.
Reparenting ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP2 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP2.
Reparenting ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP3 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP3.
Reparenting ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP4 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP4.
Removing pivot nodes.
Deleting node ~PS_GD1_SG01
Deleting node ~PS_SG
Deleting node ~PS_GD1_SG02
Deleting node ~PS_LCOLLECTIVE
Deleting node ~PS_GD1_LG
Deleting node ~PS_LG
Deleting node ~PS_LSTICK
Deleting node ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP1
Deleting node ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP2
Deleting node ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP3
Deleting node ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP4
Deleting node ~PS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP5
Deleting node ~PS_MAINHUB_5BLADE
Deleting node ~PS_RCOLLECTIVE
Deleting node ~PS_GD1_RG
Deleting node ~PS_RG
Deleting node ~PS_RSTICK
Deleting node ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP1
Deleting node ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP2
Deleting node ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP3
Deleting node ~PS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP4
Deleting node ~PS_TAILHUB_4BLADE
Applying node names.
Renaming ~CS_MH_LEADLAG1 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_LEADLAG1.
Renaming ~CS_MH_LEADLAG2 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_LEADLAG2.
Renaming ~CS_MH_LEADLAG3 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_LEADLAG3.
Renaming ~CS_MH_LEADLAG4 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_LEADLAG4.
Renaming ~CS_MH_LEADLAG5 to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_LEADLAG5.
Renaming ~CS_TH_LEADLAG1 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_LEADLAG1.
Renaming ~CS_TH_LEADLAG2 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_LEADLAG2.
Renaming ~CS_TH_LEADLAG3 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_LEADLAG3.
Renaming ~CS_TH_LEADLAG4 to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_LEADLAG4.
Renaming ~CS_MH_DISKMOUNT to ~CS_MH_5BLADE_DISKMOUNT.
Renaming ~CS_TH_DISKMOUNT to ~CS_TH_4BLADE_DISKMOUNT.
Counting polygons.
RootFrame [0 polys]
FUSELAGE [5810 polys]
~CS_BULB_FLIGHT [10 polys]
~CS_BULB_PANEL01 [15 polys]
~CS_BULB_PANEL02 [2 polys]
~CS_COLL_FUSELAGE [188 polys]
One or more collision frames were found in this mod
lision frames.
~CS_GD1_SG02 [592 polys]
~CS_COLL_SG [12 polys]
~CS_GD1_SG01 [168 polys]
~CS_SG [42 polys]
~CS_SW [256 polys]
~CS_COLL_SW [48 polys]
~SW [448 polys]
~CS_LCOLLECTIVE [66 polys]
~CS_LG [272 polys]
~CS_COLL_LG [12 polys]
~CS_GD1_LG [168 polys]
~CS_LW [256 polys]
~CS_COLL_LW [48 polys]
~LW01 [224 polys]
~LW02 [224 polys]
~CS_LSTICK [112 polys]
~CS_MAINHUB_5BLADE [2360 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP1 [278 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_LEADLAG1 [0 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP2 [278 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_LEADLAG2 [0 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP3 [278 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_LEADLAG3 [0 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP4 [278 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_LEADLAG4 [0 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_FLAP5 [278 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_LEADLAG5 [0 polys]
~CS_RCOLLECTIVE [66 polys]
~CS_RG [272 polys]
~CS_COLL_RG [12 polys]
~CS_GD1_RG [168 polys]
~CS_RW [256 polys]
~CS_COLL_RW [48 polys]
~RW01 [224 polys]
~RW02 [224 polys]
~CS_RSTICK [112 polys]
~CS_TAILBOOM1 [1080 polys]
~CS_BULB_BLIGHT [18 polys]
~CS_BULB_T01LIGHT [30 polys]
~CS_BULB_T02LIGHT [30 polys]
~CS_BULB_T03LIGHT [30 polys]
~CS_COLL_TAILBOOM1 [36 polys]
~CS_HFIN [80 polys]
~CS_COLL_HFIN [28 polys]
~CS_VFIN [334 polys]
~CS_COLL_VFIN [48 polys]
~CS_TAILHUB_4BLADE [612 polys]
~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP1 [236 polys]
~CS_TH_4BLADE_LEADLAG1 [0 polys]
~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP2 [236 polys]
~CS_TH_4BLADE_LEADLAG2 [0 polys]
~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP3 [236 polys]
~CS_TH_4BLADE_LEADLAG3 [0 polys]
~CS_TH_4BLADE_FLAP4 [236 polys]
~CS_TH_4BLADE_LEADLAG4 [0 polys]
~EXTERNAL1 [159 polys]
~TAILBOOM_END [44 polys]
~EXHAUST [1218 polys]
~EXTERNAL2 [185 polys]
~FUSE_END [44 polys]
~GLASSES [153 polys]
~HOOK [614 polys]
~INTERNAL [203 polys]
~CS_MH_5BLADE_DISKMOUNT [0 polys]
~CS_TH_4BLADE_DISKMOUNT [0 polys]
Writing kex.
Model C:\Users\LiHMDS\Desktop\EH101.kex has 19995 polys.
Done.
3ds export time: 2.45

Greets,

Max

jeffpn
03-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Well that's a bummer. I was unaware that Blender had file name length limitations as you describe. Would the latest version of Blender have those same limitations?

I was thinking last night that the material edge object separation issue must be a factor, if it's inherent in .3ds files. It made me wonder if KE could release a .kex converter that works with .obj files instead of .3ds files.

abaser
03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
So it's actually the script we need instead of the exporter, correct? Either way, something needs to be done to keep up with current versions. I know nothing about this sort of thing really, but it seems to me that if max can be kept up with, blender should be as well. If amateur modelers are supported by KE, then there should be support for a free software program to accomplish this. Very few can/will throw out three grand for something they do without compensation. I feel more would at least give it a shot if this had a little more support.

maxkop
03-06-2012, 07:12 PM
No, no, no Jeff :) Blender does not have any kind of limitations concerning these compatibiliy issues. The .3ds - file format is simply defined with these definitions (concerning uv-mapping (the doubling of vertex information) and the character limit...

The best solution is of course when you directly export form a .blend - file to a .kex file without having all these issues of a third file - format in between. But that means an export - script (like the 3dsmax - plugin) have to be coded by a programmer directly for blender. Of course this plugin will not be compatibly forever to the recent blender version, but you can do everything an airplane or helicopter needs with the old blender versions too (like 2.49b), even open a blender 2.6 file with a 2.49b version, without having any issues concerning hierarchy, naming, or mapping....

Well, but all these problems are known a very long time...

At the moment I simply recommend to develop an aircraft completely under blender (if someone is really interested in using blender (modelling, mapping and generating the aircraft variant)) and only in the last step, importing all 3D-information step by step via the .obj - file format into 3dsmax - demo. Then one can generate a perfect .kex - file via the .kex - plugin. Using 3dsmax is still the only way to generate a "clean" .kex - file which is compatible with Realflight...

But as you stated all ready, choosing another file format would probably be the best way for KE to create the possibility to use open source 3D - Editors. A stand alone exporter (DOS or java - based, I don't care) which is using an open source file format (which specifications you really know) to generate a full compatible .kex - file. This way export - scripts can be written for multiple open source 3D - editors, not only for blender, and KE would be able to protect their .kex - file specifications...

Greets,

Max
Well that's a bummer. I was unaware that Blender had file name length limitations as you describe. Would the latest version of Blender have those same limitations?

I was thinking last night that the material edge object separation issue must be a factor, if it's inherent in .3ds files. It made me wonder if KE could release a .kex converter that works with .obj files instead of .3ds files.

jeffpn
03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
What is the character limit? I take it object names have a maximum length? What about file names? Is there a limit there too? The 3ds2kex.ex program seems to only get it's .kex filename from the 3D file name. I didn't see where it could be set to be anything else. I did successfully convert a .3ds file last night to .kex. The .3ds file was exported from Max.

One problem with the .obj format is the ~ key is changed to _. I think it allows longer object names though.

Never mind about name length limitations for .3ds files. I looked it up. It's kind of disappointing.

phrank
03-06-2012, 07:40 PM
We've talked about this before no?

.3ds format has a 10 character naming limit. (~CS_SPINNER becomes ~CS_SPINNE)
It is in the .sup file that you can recover the long character name when re-running the 3ds2kex.
I believe that is what the .blender script is doing, exporting as .3ds and automagically running the 3ds2kex to the resulting export to create the .kex.

Since .3ds format goes way back to the DOS era, standard 8.3 filename convention applies.

jeffpn
03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
I guess you missed the last sentence of my previous post? :p (Looks like you were composing your post at that time. ;))

It'd be nice if KE would release another .kex conversion tool that uses a different file format to start, like .obj. .3ds is very archaic. There's a whole slew of people in the world who use computers who have never heard of MS-DOS!

phrank
03-06-2012, 08:41 PM
You've been hanging around that other guy too much. :D
You know, the one "Modifying Post" all the time... :p

abaser
03-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Im just curious here, but what is in the script that is for 2.49b that would keep it from working in a newer version? Other than not being compatible with some of the newer functions, Is there something that would burn up my HD if I tried to set it up in say 2.62 to try it? I learned my lesson already about messing around before I ask questions, so that's why Im not trying it first.

As I have said earlier, Im an idiot when it comes to this type of stuff.

Madratter
03-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Im just curious here, but what is in the script that is for 2.49b that would keep it from working in a newer version? Other than not being compatible with some of the newer functions, Is there something that would burn up my HD if I tried to set it up in say 2.62 to try it? I learned my lesson already about messing around before I ask questions, so that's why Im not trying it first.

As I have said earlier, Im an idiot when it comes to this type of stuff.

Well, I got curious and looked into this a little bit. No, it wouldn't burn up your hard drive. However, it doesn't work. In fact, it basically doesn't even get off the ground, failing very fast.

The way scripting works in the 2.5 and later versions of Blender has been changed significantly. So it isn't going to be just a matter of tweaking a single failing line of code, and then things will work. :mad:

Making the script work would be possible, but it would take far more time and effort than I want to put into it. It probably isn't a big job for someone who already does Python scripting for Blender 2.6. But apparently, those people aren't hanging around here.

jeffpn
03-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Unfortunately, even if a 2.6 script was written, the issue that the .3ds file format is very old remains. This results in objects being broken up by mapping borders and material borders. That results in seams showing on edges. Look between the red lines. Those are mapping edges, showing seams. Unavoidable when creating a .kex from a .3ds file.

Maj. Numbskully
03-07-2012, 08:56 PM
You know, the one "Modifying Post" all the time... :p
Hugh?............what?

:p:p

a4magic
03-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Unfortunately, even if a 2.6 script was written, the issue that the .3ds file format is very old remains. This results in objects being broken up by mapping borders and material borders. That results in seams showing on edges. Look between the red lines. Those are mapping edges, showing seams. Unavoidable when creating a .kex from a .3ds file.

Just curious, would it be possible to make it from an .obj? I know a few game companies use them.

jeffpn
03-07-2012, 09:29 PM
No. The tool converts .3ds files to .kex files. Too bad KE didn't go with the .obj format originally.

a4magic
03-07-2012, 09:32 PM
But would it be possible to make a script that could do that. I have no clue about coding.

jeffpn
03-07-2012, 09:39 PM
Not unless you work for KE.

Ryan Douglas
03-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Lately there have been a lot of questions about Blender.

At this time we do not officially support Blender except via the 3ds2kex utility, and we do not have immediate plans to add deeper support.

The reason we are able to fully support 3ds Max is because it is the tool we use internally. Our artists actually use the KEX exporter plugin for their work. That being the case, it is much more feasible for us to share that existing tool with all of you.

I understand using Blender and other .3ds-based approaches for RealFlight modeling work is problematic without a script like the one some of you have been relying on. To avoid any false hope, I want to let you know that at this point you would be better served working to update that script or find a replacement than waiting on us for a solution.

That is not to say we would never add support for other modeling software. We realize the price of 3ds Max is a steep barrier to entry for the casual hobbyist. And the greater the number of skilled modelers contributing to RealFlight, the better it is for everyone. We do have to prioritize that relative to all the other things we could possibly do, however, and our resources are finite.

You may like to know that improving this whole area is something we discuss from time to time. Even though nothing is in the works currently, I want you to know that you are not unheard.

abaser
03-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the reply, Ryan. As long as I'm still using Blender, if you guys do start to work on something, I volunteer myself for whatever I can do.

Ryan Douglas
03-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks. :)

abaser
03-12-2012, 09:45 PM
Ok, so Ive got someone willing to look into converting the python script to 2.62. My question is with him not having RF, is this even going to be possible? Does he just need to make it compatible with 2.62 and does he need to have any access to the scripting of the 3ds2kex converter (if that's even possible)? Once I get this info, he will begin to work on it.

Madratter
03-12-2012, 10:05 PM
They can definitely take it a good bit of the way. As it currently stands, the script will hardly gets started. They can do a great deal without RF6 just getting the script to the point where it will again produce an output kex file. Once they get it that far, you will have to check and see if the conversion is reasonable compared to what 2.49 would have produced. At that point, things will definitely be slower than if they had RF6. But it should still be doable.

abaser
03-12-2012, 10:12 PM
OK. Ill see if I can get him to start then. Maybe if we can get it far enough to export a kex file, then we here can put our minds together and finish things out.:p

12oclockhigh
03-13-2012, 06:34 AM
As a coder.... I would suggest that it would be far easier for the original guy that created the script to update it than a new party to delve into that... If KE could provide that information privately, it would likely speed up the process.

Before KE would be interested in financially helping that effort, they would have to see some interest beyond the one and twos. So I would like to say that I am interested. I would like to do some modeling, but purchasing Max Studio is not in the budget here.

abaser
03-13-2012, 07:13 AM
I dont believe the original creator is active anymore.

12oclockhigh
03-13-2012, 07:22 AM
That is not much of an attempt to locate him... Does anyone know this person? If so, please have him/her contact abaser by PM. Just having their (original developer's) prior knowledge and insight would be helpful.

They (original developer) might even be able to help the process if they are short of time.

I dont believe the original creator is active anymore.

jeffpn
03-13-2012, 07:28 AM
I don't think KE provided any information to the original script developers.

12oclockhigh
03-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I did not say they did... but wait a minute and I will edit my post to make things more clear.

Madratter
03-13-2012, 09:56 AM
If anyone is going to know how to reach the original developer, it would probably be Maxkop.

VIDEOPRO
02-05-2013, 07:40 PM
OK guys need help here. I did manage to model an airplane in Blender 2.49b and exported it using the script provided. I now have the two files SUP and 3ds. My question is how do I run the KEX converter to convert them. I know it has to do with DOS. Can someone walk me through the steps. I am using Windows Vista 64Bit.

Other issues: I built my jet with using several objects. When I unwrap the objects to lay them out on the UV mapping. I do the fuse, then when I switch over to do a wing the fuse parts disappear. How do I merge them to the same texture so I can do the painting in Photoshop? Do I have to do each part by them self?

Maybe someone could finish off what I did.

Any help would be great. I want to get into the modelling using Blender. Enjoyed modelling what I did after watching several Youtube videos. I have a few jets I would like to do for Realflight.

Any luck on a new script for newer versions of Blender?

abaser
02-05-2013, 08:37 PM
First off, if you're just starting out modeling, with no blender experience, I'd suggest you get the student version of 3ds max 2012 and learning that instead. Its free and perfectly acceptable for us to use. We all use it here, and I have a confirmation email directly from them stating so.

Second, if you have the script installed correctly, you should have the kex file. There is no DOS usage needed. Do a search for my blender tips and tricks thread for an installation tutorial.

As for the mapping, i can't remember the exact process, but its a little complicated. I believe you'll need to duplicate your parts you want mapped, move them to another scene, combine them all and map. Create your texture using this combined model, apply it to a material, and assign that material to the unmapped parts in the original scene. Save it with both models. Then delete the combined model.

VIDEOPRO
02-05-2013, 08:52 PM
First off, if you're just starting out modeling, with no blender experience, I'd suggest you get the student version of 3ds max 2012 and learning that instead. Its free and perfectly acceptable for us to use. We all use it here, and I have a confirmation email directly from them stating so.

Second, if you have the script installed correctly, you should have the kex file. There is no DOS usage needed. Do a search for my blender tips and tricks thread for an installation tutorial.

As for the mapping, i can't remember the exact process, but its a little complicated. I believe you'll need to duplicate your parts you want mapped, move them to another scene, combine them all and map. Create your texture using this combined model, apply it to a material, and assign that material to the unmapped parts in the original scene. Save it with both models. Then delete the combined model.

Thanks,

I was guessing that I needed to make a copy with everything as one object in order to do the mapping texture. I just realized that I did not do the UV mapping correct (because of the mutiple objects) and that is why it did not export correctly to the KEX file. How long is the Student version of 3ds max good for? Is it limited time of use? I will check into that.

Thanks

abaser
02-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Its a 3 year license. I haven't used it long enough to know about renewing it, but maybe one of the veterans here will chime in on it. If nothing else, you're child, parent, sibling, or significant other just might decide to take up modeling as a hobby. See where I'm going here?

abaser
02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
You can also use wings 3d as another modeling source. Also free with no term limit. However, you must do the export correctly into max to avoid problem with your model. Jeffpn has a post in the tip of the day thread showing the import/export settings that need to be used. Either way, you will still need either max or blender to set pivots, link hierarchy and export the kex file required. Wings is a little less intimidating, but max does it all.