PDA

View Full Version : Shadows!?!?

teammoki3d
02-02-2005, 05:16 PM
hey guys,i was flying one day and noticed that i dont have shadows! so then i say"o its probably off" then i turn the shadows on and at highest quality..but they arent there. i even tried restarting the program and even re-installing it. nothing seems to work. any suggestions?

Rod Harmer
02-02-2005, 05:29 PM
If you look through these forums ( I'm not sure just where they are ) I think you will see that some video cards do not support shadows , so maybe yours is one of those .
Ask Vitek , he seems to know a lot more about them than I do .
Rod H
:)

NightFlyer
02-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Hi,
Well, if you look through the threads, you will find plenty of discussion on shadows (or lack of)

The GForce MMx card I had would not support shadows. So I bought an ATI 9600 and now I have Multiple shadows.

Take a look at the screen shots in the thread I started called. "Well here is something out of the clear blue sky" and see the shots of 2, 4 and 6 "shadow planes" following me.

That's my new squadron. :rolleyes:

So, My ATI 9600 is was overkill, I guess. You need to buy another video card for now, but I have no clue what to tell you, except, none of what I have.
Dave

Ken Morano
02-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Nightflyer,
Just curious, what drivers are you using?

Joe Teibel
02-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Make sure Shadows are turned On. You can have them set to highest but *not* have them turned On. You can turn them on in through the View menu or in the same place, different setting (also called 'Shadows'), that you set them to highest. I know this is obvious and you have probably already made sure they are on but just thought I'd throw it out there before someone suggests that you buy a $900 video card.

NightFlyer
02-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Logically, I am trying to figure out the Multiple shadows thing I have.

If the screen shots are created internally from the hard drive during flight, then I do not believe my video card is the problem.

IF the screen shots are recorded directly from the output of the video card, then I would blame the card.

Which is it? Am I the only one with multiple shadows? If I am, then it must me my machine.

I thought I had a sweet running machine before I bought G3, cause it ran G2 perfectly and all my other problems.

If I hadnt got g3, I wouldn't have known how poor my machine was. :rolleyes:

So, under recommendation, I purchased an ATI 9600 to get shadows. Now I have MULTIPLE Shadows.
I upgraded the drivers before, but no help.

I don't know my exact specs on the drivers til I get home from my office and look tonight.

Ya know, I just figured it out..... The shadows look proportional, So I MUST HAVE MULTIPLE SUNS. hmmmm.
Ha ha ha. This is getting too funny.

Attached are the screen shots of 2 shadows, 3, shadows, and 6 shadows.

Here are a few of the screenshots.

jhimmel
02-02-2005, 09:05 PM
NightFlyer,
I WAS using G3 with an ATI 9600 at one time.
I never saw multiple shadows. That is too funny.

I'm using a Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition now, and even with all that graphic horsepower, I still only get one shadow per aircraft. :o

You should feel special! :D

Jim H.

Gatorboy
02-02-2005, 10:39 PM
hey night flyer, I get that same problem also. and when i crash the shadows multiply more. And i was wondering if anyone knows why my runway is never there on the funfly and all the other g2 fields but when im in the seirra its always there. I cant use clouds in the sierra because then the runway will disappear

NightFlyer
02-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Exactly!

Well, what can I say? I have hundreds of shadows when I crash too.

I didn't mention that before, cause I didn't want to really create confusion. :confused: Besides, I never crash.....:D :D :D :D :D

Never had the runway disappear yet either, but I have the clouds off all the time.

So I really don't know if my runway disappears. The Multi Shadows, seem to be only at fun fly field?
Maybe my video card does not like fun flys :rolleyes: