Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 6
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 AM

How to import swap files

Hey everyone! I feel extremely stupid on this question but I'm not finding a good answer on how to do this. I import the kex file and the models look fine, but their physics is WAY off usually. I think this has to do with the portion where I'm importing the file and it asks me to select an aircraft to initialize my model from. I try to pick a plane that some what resembles it. But I'm not sure how to get the physics the way you guys are uploading them to the site. Can someone help me on this? Thanks!

The Dumb Idiotic Noob
Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 AM

You never, ever import a .kex as a noob... Ever.
Click the yellow ? Mark where you downloaded the file for detailed instructions.
Then if it's still unclear, follow up with the troublesome portions.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:26 AM

ok..... I feel idiotic as I expected. I did not realize that .zip was importable.. Once I imported the zip file directly, instead of opening it and trying to do all the work myself it's working great. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:33 AM

Your another victim of IE. For some reason it turns .rfx files into .zip files. Chrome would've downloaded as is.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 AM

I have always used IE. Still do. I have no problems downloading and installing .zip files. I used to be anal and make sure the extension was .rfx or .g3x. It doesn't matter to RF whether it's a .zip, .rfx, or .g3x. They are all valid file types. I am not a "victim of IE." I am a follower of instructions.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/impo...importhelp.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (58.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (425.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (265.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 03-19-2012, 08:00 AM

Well lucky you. There have been allot of posts from people who have done just as the OP. Simply because zip files usually need to be unzipped so it follows that these IE victims would unzip the contents see the .kex and assume that's what should be imported. These people are the whole reason for your avatar so I'm sure you know they exist. If IE stopped doing this you could have a less frustrated avatar.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof69 View Post
...and assume that's what should be imported.
There's your problem right there. People don't bother to take the time to figure out what they are supposed to do. There is a link to directions on every single swap file page. Nobody reads them. They do not say to unzip a zip file. I have always used IE. I did not fall into the same blind trap many people do. I saw a swap file, I looked for instructions. Instructions for importing swap files appear as many times as swap files do. Internet Explorer is not the problem. The only room for improvement in the instructions (that no one reads anyway) is for KE to mention that some browsers will convert the file type to .zip, and to import the .zip file as is, without decompressing.

Last edited by jeffpn; 03-19-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 AM

Here's a better idea: make an advanced importer where the default hides the .kex option. Keep people from hurting themselves. KE has hidden even control surfaces from us now. They could protect us from the .kex file, too.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:10 PM

I totally agree. There should be a visible warning for this problem. I don't know if they can hide the fact that an rfx is actually a zip file.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: