Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 6
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM

Airport zoom type defaults to keep ground in view

Something i have noticed since RF4 or 5 ,perhaps even earlier versions is the fact that the airport zoom type is not remembered/saved when you exit out of the sim .The next time i start the sim up the zoom type always defaults back to "keep ground in view".This is fine if you like "keep ground in view" and always use that zoom type but i'd prefer it to stay at the zoom type i was last using until i feel the need to change it again.Is there a reason for this,can't be a problem or others would have complained by now.

Martin
Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 PM

This is a simulator for R/C flight. The default view represents how you will see things at the field, thus the simulation part I feel the default view is exactly how it should be. But, that's just my opinion.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Try editing your INI file, most settings are stored there.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 PM

Whaaaaat? My eyes did not come with zoom.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:04 PM

Bionic upgrade... RC planes don't normally come with paint-ball guns either.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 PM

I too prefer manual zoom at around 75% in fact. This script should be placed in "MyDocuments/RealFlight 6/Scripts" RF reads from this startup script to sett console commands at start. Any commands that you may enter in the console to work for that one time if written in this script will become the default behavior. Key binds and extras whatever. If you don't like the zoom level just edit this script to suite. Imo the manual zoom type is closer to the real thing as the ground isn't always in view when flying in real life.
Attached Files
File Type: rfscript startup.rfscript (40 Bytes, 28 views)
Old 04-09-2012, 09:33 PM

FYI The default view "keep ground in view" dynamically zooms in and out to always keep the ground in view.The view option that doesn't auto zoom is called manual but that isn't the default.
I like to try various view options from time to time,it's this felixibility that makes the sim good.What i'd have liked is for it to remember what was last used when the sim exits,that's all
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM

Thanks for that Boof69
Will also have a look at the ini files

Last edited by MJA; 04-09-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM

I already have tried that. It doesn't seem to save camera settings. The easy way to edit the .ini would be to set the camera then the zoom level to your liking then bring up the console(~) and type saveSettings. That writes to the .ini but the camera will still default to autozoom. This method was the only way I have ever got it to work.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 AM

MJA,

I already noticed this problem when I first upgraded to RF6. It was changed in G5.

I think any default setting is for beginners who do not know how or what to select. After they learn the function, everybody has his own preference.

I have G4 and just upgraded to RF6. I also do not like a few "Backward Upgrades". Any user last selected settings should be remembered after ending the program.

G4 remembers the difficulty setting & the zoom selection type & level, but RF6 always default to "Ground in View" when program starts.

When I first use G4 I like "Ground in View", but now I like "Manual" better because it does not zoom in & out.

The helicopter physics has improved but airplane physics has gone backwards and become more floaty than G4, just like PhoenixRC, especially during power-off glide.

I also have PhoenixRC & Aerofly5 for comparison.

I think the floaty plane physics, especially when banking and turning is due to the excessive adverse yaw over-simulated. The nose stays high, lateral lift too much when knifeedge. I have to use rudder to coordinate the turn to fly more realistic.

There are also some bugs or bad designs from the 6.00.038 update:

The NavGuides gear icon only works in window mode, when in full screen it only works a few times and will not respond. (This is fixed by the 6.00.045 update.)

The NavGuides size is too big after I add more items if large text is selected, there should be an additional medium size or adjustable.

The Timer and Variometer gadget size are too big and fixed, they should be adjustable like the other gadgets.

The Physics gadget appears when RF6 starts if "Realistic" is not selected. It should remember the last setting and hide !

Last edited by fkeelee; 05-09-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkeelee View Post

My post was:

I think any default setting is good only for beginners who do not know how or what to select anything new. After they understand the function, everybody has his own preferences.
While I do not disagree with you, the revert to "keep ground in view" was purposely put there by KE.

Quote:

G4 remembers the difficulty setting & the zoom selection type & level, but RF6 always default to "Ground in View" when program starts.
Yup. By design... I don't like it either.

Quote:

The helicopter physics has improved but airplane physics has gone backwards and become more floaty than G4, just like Phoenix.
Eh, no.

The airfoil physics has improved GREATLY.

However this adversely affected older models not designed for G6.

This has been covered in many threads including posts from the developers.

Quote:

I also have PhoenixRC & Aerofly5 for comparison.
Let's not go there, both have much bigger reproduceable problems with their physics.

Quote:

I think the floaty plane physics, especially when banking and turning is due to the excessive adverse yaw over-simulated. The nose stays high, lateral lift too much when knifeedge. I have to use rudder to coordinate the turn to fly more realistic.
These are really two separate things and not inter-related as you are saying...

There is a new parameter in the sim to compensate for what you perceive as adverse yaw.

Off hand I forget the name but I discussed this in regards to the change in the flight characteristics of the posted Alpha 40 model under G6.

( BTW: I've never been able to get the Alpha 40 right under G6, because the original designer offset the axis of the model too much... and G6 REALLY doesn't like it, while prior versions showed less effect. )

Older versions of the sim did not exhibit adverse yaw on a model to the extent they should have. G6 shows it more than it should.

I don't find the physics for the planes more "floaty". If anything stall is much better under G6. Under prior versions the planes stalled a bit too early.

Now when the plane has the proper weight and scaling factors stall is on the money.... but older models WILL seem more floaty until adjusted.

But then there is the "torque roll authority" problem...

Quote:

There are also some more bugs or bad designs from the 6.00.038 update:
I don't think these are "bugs" per-se. These things are there purposely.

A "bug" is something unexpected...

Quote:

The NavGuides gear icon only works in window mode, when in full screen it works a few times and will not respond.
I've never seen this on various machines...

Anyone else seeing it?

Quote:

Large text size is too big, it should be a medium size or adjustable.
Are you talking about the menus or Navguides?

Quote:

The Timer and Variometer gadget size are too big and fixed, they should be adjustable like the other gadgets.
Yup.

Quote:

The Physics gadget appears when RF6 starts if "Realistic" is not selected. It should remember the last setting and hide !
Yup I agree. A lot of people have made that comment.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:13 PM

Fkeelee,
I can understand why they do such things,the developers probably talk for ages around a table about it,to give the best new user experience,what generates least amount of tech support,answering emails etc etc.

Another approach might be to do what some other PC software writers do.Have two modes ,basic and advanced.Ship it with all the defaults and features the developers have decided on to best showcase it,that suits most users, in the basic mode.Advanced mode could then be used by the tweakers where all changed settings are saved by default.If you get in a complete mess , have a restore to default/basic mode.Or maybe that'll just be overcomplicating things,to suit a minority and introduce a whole new set of problems:-)
Old 04-10-2012, 09:20 PM

I vote for the [X] Save/Remember Environement Setup option.

I too want default vew to manual zoom set at whatever and stays like that when I reload the game.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 PM

Follow this link to a post that makes that very thing possible.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: