Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 AM

So we're all just going to have to ask someone with 3dsmax to make a .kex for us??

When free things go wrong-
'Let's just pretend open source is crap'-Not_Xptical
Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpig
So we're all just going to have to ask someone with 3dsmax to make a .kex for us??

I think the best option at this time is to continue to develop in 2.4x.

I'm trying to work out some bugs with some guys in the Blender forums. If interested, here's the thread:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=202434
Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Xptical
I think the best option at this time is to continue to develop in 2.4x.
You know that Blender 2.49b can handle 2.5-.blend - files? So you already can model, map and apply hierarchy in Blender 2.5 and than import that file into 2.49b where you can add the .sup-file properties directly (no manual editing of the .sup-file over an additional editor is required with the 3ds2kex-script).

So as long as it stays that way you can have fun in Blender 2.5 when creating your models. Only making the 3ds2kex-script compatible (via the source code) to Blender 2.5 won't do the trick, because also the User Interface and the setup of the script via the system script config editor has changed under Blender 2.5.

In the script config editor is the real power of the script embedded where you can choose which 3ds2kex.exe you wanna use (for G3.5 or G4.5/G5.5) and if Blender should create a .sup-file for you, reading out the hierarchy setup in blender and transfer it to the .sup-file including all rotational values for the retracts/gear doors etc.)

Blender 2.5 is a real new Blender and not a small bugfix or version step.

Max

- Einstein -

Last edited by maxkop; 11-20-2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:32 PM

Blender/Python ?

I'm having trouble with the export. Have blender 2.49b and python 26. When I try to export I get a Python script error:check console. I am very new to all this and am sure I've got something wrong. When I install blender without python it show a ton of export options which includes 3dstudio and it shows no error. When I install python I only get three export options. When I install the 3ds_2kex it shows up in the export but shows the script error with or without python installed.

Any help greatly appreciated!!
Old 04-10-2012, 06:16 PM

Hi,

I'm having issues trying to get the export_3ds2kex.py to show up in blender 2.49b and wondered if anyone else has had the same issue.

I have installed python 2.6 and blender 2.49b and set the PYTHONPATH system environmental variable to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\bpymodules" .

When blender launches it states

Compiled with Python version 2.6.2.
Checking for installed Python... got it!

So I am assuming that I have installed correctly (or maybe not?).

I have also set the python scripts folder in blender to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts\"

and saved as default settings.

I have also dropped the v0.99 file 'export_3ds2kex.py' from the start of this thread into the /scripts/ folder

However, when I go to the scripts window(Scripts > System > Scripts Config Editor), I cannot see the key: export_3ds2kex. Similarly, when I go to Export, there isn't a Export->3D STUDIO 2KEX (.kex) option, as described in the blender_tut.pdf on another thread.

I have also downloaded the 3ds2kex.exe from KnifeEdge and put this on my desktop.

Am I missing a step? Any help gratefully appreciated :-)
Old 04-10-2012, 08:33 PM

Follow this link. In the first post, there is apdf that will walk you through the setup step by step. It also goes through a test export. Hope it helps.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009
Old 04-11-2012, 04:40 PM

Thanks for your help and the link abaser - a great document and a massive help.

I have finally managed to resolve the issue, but it is an odd one . I have included the resolution in case anyone has this in the future.

I originally tried to run blender on windows 7 Pro 64-bit, then retried on XP-mode under Win 7, but both times the export script 'export_3ds2kex.py' was not showing up on the export menu no matter how many times I re-installed blender/ran as admin etc.

Running out of options, I eventually right-clicked on the script 'export_3ds2kex.py' and chose 'edit in IDLE', which is the debug environment installed with Python.

I though I'd see if I could see anything that might be wrong, and chose 'run->check module'. This reported an error and that the script had mixed spaces and tabs and recommended i select all, then choose Format->untabify region and saved the script. I did this and then re-tried 'run->check module' and no errors reported.

I then returned to Blender and the menu option now appeared! <phew>

So, looks like when downloading (I used Google Chrome), the HTTP encoding of the file became somehow corrupt. Running the process above appears to fix this and I have just generated my first .3ds/.sup file - Yaaaaaay
Old 10-11-2012, 05:06 AM

trouble trying to get blender going

Hey guys n gals, I've been trying for over a week now trying to get blender to work so I can do some custom stuff and modify a few planes. My problem is even once I change the export_3ds2kex.txt name to export_3ds2kex.py and put it in the C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts folder I cant open any of the tga, dds or kex files. What is it that I'm doing wrong, I'm sure its something I'm doing for what ever reason so maybe a swift kick in the ^*% will get me going lol...
Old 10-11-2012, 07:10 AM

Blender is a modeling program where you create a model from scratch. If you want to edit an existing model, all you can do is change the color. For that, you need gimp or photo shop. There you use the tga files. Gimp is a free download as well.

To edit an existing model in other ways (adding/removing parts), you need the source file from the creator.

Last edited by abaser; 10-11-2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:22 PM

So I can't go in and change things around like size and stuff through blender correct. How do I find out where the source file is, is it in the downloads from the swap pages or do I need to email the person who loaded the file themselves?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:30 PM

"Size and stuff" is changed in the Real Flight editor. You don't need a third party program to do that.

The 3D source files are not readily available to end users. Theoretically you could ask the author of a swap page model, but most will not comply. I won't.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
"Size and stuff" is changed in the Real Flight editor. You don't need a third party program to do that.

The 3D source files are not readily available to end users. Theoretically you could ask the author of a swap page model, but most will not comply. I won't.
Ok what I would like to do is double the size of the B17 Sentimental Journey for rf 4.5. So How would I go about that?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardster View Post
Ok what I would like to do is double the size of the B17 Sentimental Journey for rf 4.5. So How would I go about that?
Editor...

There are plenty of threads and detailed instructions about resizing planes here.

Hint: Search for "Real world physics".
Old 12-16-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvel View Post
Current Version: 0.99

For those interested in creating RF models using Blender, you are painfully aware of the issues with the current 3DS export files. The python export script contained several issues, primarily the node structure was not exported as part of the 3DS file. I have been working to fix these problems and have a functional script ready for public testing.

The attached zip contains an updated blender 3DS export script. Unzip the file export_3ds2kex.py into the blender scripts directory (C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\.blender\scripts). This is the same directory that will contain the original 3ds_export.py file.

Once the file is copied, next step is to open blender. It will automatically add a new export option under File->Export, "3D Studio 4KEX".

I'll cover a few points in this thread:
1. Naming
2. Parenting
3. Pivot points

The end goal of this project is to completely eliminate the need for post-processing and to simply use the Knife Edge tool 3DS2KEX. i.e. No using 3D Studio, no use of Deep Exploration either.

Naming convention

The naming convention exported to 3DS and into the KEX file comes from the object names and UV texture name. Whatever name you give the object "Fuselage", "~CS_RMW", "~CS_RMA", etc are the ones you will see in the RF aircraft editor. Simply name your object what you would like to see in RF. This is done on the Object panel (F7) in the Buttons window. For example, "OB: ~CS_RMW"

The colour scheme name comes from the UV texture name. This is set on the UV/Image Editor window. When you texture map the model, open the TGA image on the UV/Image Editor window and the default name will be "YourFilename.TGA". Rename this to whatever you want the colour scheme to be called on import.

Updated Nov 7/07: Script updated to v0.94 with a lot of help from maxkop and his DG-800A model! Some highlights:
- Can now completely create aircraft model in Blender!
- Just run 3ds2kex to complete the process
- Rotations now work correctly for multiple levels of hierarchy
- Fixed material naming with UV textures
- Will only export UV textures (not the blender 'game engine' texture)
- Material reflectivity exported (e.g. Lambert shader)
- Material specularity exported (e.g. CookTor shader)
- Material alpha exported (aka Opacity for easy canopies)
- Note: Texture filenames must be less than or equal to 12 characters long (e.g. "12345678.tif") and must be in the same directory as the exported 3DS file for 3ds2kex to find the texture file

Once again thanks to maxkop for all the assitance and being the guinea-pig to iron out all the bugs in the script!! Look for his DG-800A soon!

Update Nov 12/07: New version 0.96 includes automatic creation of custom SUP file and is able to call 3DS2KEX utility for 1-click KEX file creation!
- Can include NUP_ parameters such as "NUP_LandingGear" and "NUP_MaxRotationXDEG", etc.
- Refer to page 2 of thread for screenshots and explanation
- Pending work on NUP parameters for lighting effects and smoothing. Might not be possible since 3DS2KEX does not appear to support these features (only in the 3ds max plugin...)
- NOTE renamed script so if you have the old version please delete the file '3ds_export_4kex.py' from blender script directory

Update Nov 12/07: Version 0.97 includes ability for alternate pivot objects.

Update Dec 16/07: Not a version update, just changed the attachment format. Script is attached as both .TXT file (place in Blender scripts directory and rename from .TXT to .PY). Also attached ZIP file with .G3X extension to avoid the forum's "corrupt archive" problem. Rename the .G3X file to .ZIP and extract the script.

Update Jan 20/08: Version 0.98. Lots of improvements:
1. Will detect ~CS_GLOBALOPTIONS object and will automatically copy any parameters of this object to all other objects
2. Objects can override the ~CS_GLOBALOPTIONS parameter with their own value
3. Objects can override their 'IsPivot', 'Pivot', 'Parent' and even 'Name' values in the SUP file by using a parameter
4. See the 3ds2kex output in the console window for blender, which uses the "-s -v3" command-line parameters to call 3ds2kex
5. Once you run the script once you will have a new option in the SCRIPTS CONFIGURATION editor which lets you turn on BETA 3ds2kex.exe features. This will include the "STRING:" "BOOL:" "FLOAT:" qualifiers in the SUP file.
6. Parent name: It will first use the value from the blender object hierarchy, next will use the CS_GLOBALOPTIONS Parent property (should never use this!!), finally will take the value from the object's Parent property

Update Dec 16/08: Version 0.99 updated with proper encoding. No longer throw error with latest version of blender.

how do you put export_3ds2kex.py in to the scripts folder because when i do it it dosent work.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 PM

See the first post of THIS thread. It has a tutorial pdf that walks you through getting Blender setup.

However, IF you are just learning to model, and just learning a program with NO experience using Blender, I highly recommend getting the student version of 3ds Max 2012. The student version is free, and is accepted by autodesk for us to use. I have proof direct from them. Blender will get you into RF, but is much more of a pain to get to that point. Not to mention that it is not supported by KE, and very little help will be available if you run into trouble..........even at their forums. I know from experience.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: