Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 6
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:16 PM

How to change drag (speed up plane at idle)

I am trying to reproduce the flight characteristics of a real plane as many do. I can play around with power, weight, CG, throws etc to simulate flight characteristics but one thing I haven't found a setting for is Drag. At idle the plane just flies too well at too slow a speed. It is slowing down too much at idle.

Is this a drag issue and is there any way to change this behavior?
Thanks.

Using the latest build of 6.5
Old 10-02-2015, 10:11 PM

HMMM...seems to me that most planes (RC or full scale) will slow down when the engine is at idle. Which plane are you talking about..?? AND is it a plane from the RF files or one created by one of our users, AND is it an AV..??
Old 10-03-2015, 12:04 AM

Krill Spark Evo, pattern plane.
Yes all planes slow down at idle but most planes would fall out of the sky at very slow speeds.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:39 AM

Is it an AV (aircraft variant),look at the title of your plane. Some AV`s that are created don`t have the proper physics applied to them when they`re uploaded to the swaps, thus they don`t fly correctly. In your case, you "might" have what is termed as a "floater", where as, not enough weight has been applied to the AV. Do you know how to use the editor..??
What version of RF are you using..??.. AND, did you you get that plane from a previous version of RF. EXAMPLE: if your using RF 7 and you downloaded that plane from an earlier version of RF, it may not fly correctly, because the physcics changed slightly between the two versions.

Last edited by uncle twist; 10-03-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:40 AM

SC204

You are sort of barking up the wrong tree.

Drag is not what you want to be looking at. Drag changes how quickly a plane will slow down without power, not how slowly fly while still remain flying.

What you want to change is either wing lift ( including fuselage & tail lift ) or weight as Uncle Twist alluded to.

And before modifying weight, you must determine if the weight and wing loading is specifically wrong in the model before you start.

You may ( I haven't looked at that plane ) have a plane that has accurate weights and wing loadings, but has too much lift making it too floaty.

In turn you need to look at the airfoils used. Did the author choose the wrong airfoils all around?

If so simply choose the correct airfoil.

If not, and weight and wing loading is not the issue, THEN adjust wing lift percentages in the editor... but then you may also have to adjust stall characteristics appropriately.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:01 AM

Your correct on all counts opjose, it would be nice if sc204 answered some questions that I asked, so we know what we`re dealing with... AV.??... RF7or6. Gotta give him some time to answer back though...
Old 10-03-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc204 View Post
Krill Spark Evo, pattern plane.
Yes all planes slow down at idle but most planes would fall out of the sky at very slow speeds.
Is this the plane you're flying?

Krill Spark Evo I EA

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=15551

I just tried it out and yes it does fly very slow without falling out of the sky. It's an older plane from RF 5.5 and the weights might not be setup correct too. I haven't tried tweaking anything but I'm sure it could be made to fly much more realistic by tweaking the weights.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:17 AM

Sorry I usually sleep in the early AM hours so I did not reply

I am on 6.5 as listed in the first post, and yes the original version was probably from an older version of RF. I believe the version listed in the last post is probably the original plane that I downloaded. There are other versions and I downloaded the one for 6.5. With my interlink controller it does not fly well at all and will need a lot of throw adjustments to tame it down but I will compare that to the one I have been flying regarding the "floating"
I do use the editor but not for the many of the settings mentioned so I will have to look at those and see how they affect the plane.

I appreciate all of the input.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc204 View Post
Sorry I usually sleep in the early AM hours so I did not reply

I am on 6.5 as listed in the first post, and yes the original version was probably from an older version of RF. I believe the version listed in the last post is probably the original plane that I downloaded. There are other versions and I downloaded the one for 6.5. With my interlink controller it does not fly well at all and will need a lot of throw adjustments to tame it down but I will compare that to the one I have been flying regarding the "floating"
I do use the editor but not for the many of the settings mentioned so I will have to look at those and see how they affect the plane.

I appreciate all of the input.
When I flew the plane it looks like from your post you're flying it could definitely use a bit less throws and the weights adjusted to get it to fly the way it would in real life. But after saying that the big problem an aircraft designer in RealFlight faces is does he have the real plane to compare the model he designed with, but in most cases he doesn't so there's going to be differences because of that. So try adjusting the throws and weight of the plane and I bet you'll cure most of the problems you see.

Last edited by technoid; 10-03-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:45 AM

Playing with it now, Thanks.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
But after saying that the big problem an aircraft designer in RealFlight faces is does he have the real plane to compare the model he designed with, but in most cases he doesn't so there's going to be differences because of that.
No truer words!

To fine tune a simulation you need to compare it against the real world and you hit the "case in point".

Adjust the model in the sim to fly like one you own down to the smallest detail, then any tweaks or changes made to the simulated plane, once done to the real model should result in exactly the same behavior.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: