Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 6
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Weird eh?

The outboard USB hub is NOT initialized during BIOS POST, so the Interlink is never seen by the BIOS in turn.

This also resolves the same issue with other external devices too.
Yes, that's exactly it. Since the add-in board isn't initialized during the boot process, and only when Windows loads the driver, the BIOS never sees it and all's well. So now my problem is solved and I can quit unplugging the Interlink cable from the back of my PC when I boot. I'm one of those guys that messes with my computer a lot and reboots it often, so the problem was really a pain for me. And since I'm retired I run RealFlight a bunch of times everyday so leaving the cable plugged in and having it in the back of the computer was important to me. Thanks again for your help
Old 01-01-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I bought a 15 dollar USB 3.0 2 Port Add-In board and after installing it everything's working fine now. I can turn off the PC and do a power off boot and also Restart the PC from within Windows without any problems. So thanks for the info because I really wanted to fix that problem.
I'm curious as to what USB board you used. I installed an Anker USB 3.0 PCI-E card (based on 4.5 star user reviews on Amazon). It fixes the booting issue but when I launch RealFlight, it either launches OK but takes about twice as long as usual, or it takes a long time to launch and then says that it found an Interlink but was unable to validate it. Due to the 4.5 star reviews I assumed I just had a bad board but the second one has behaved the same (and with a couple of different VIA driver versions too.) So I just exchanged one USB problem for another and I'm back to plugging and unplugging into the motherboard USB.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I'm curious as to what USB board you used. I installed an Anker USB 3.0 PCI-E card (based on 4.5 star user reviews on Amazon). It fixes the booting issue but when I launch RealFlight, it either launches OK but takes about twice as long as usual, or it takes a long time to launch and then says that it found an Interlink but was unable to validate it. Due to the 4.5 star reviews I assumed I just had a bad board but the second one has behaved the same (and with a couple of different VIA driver versions too.) So I just exchanged one USB problem for another and I'm back to plugging and unplugging into the motherboard USB.
I bought an old Dell USB 3.0 board from a used supply house in Texas. At the time I thought it fixed all my problems, but it didn't. After installing it I can always boot just fine but from time to time when I start RealFlight it takes a long time and either errors out saying it can't find the Interlink controller or goes ahead and starts but the Airplane just takes off and the engine is running fast. So the add-in USB controller fixed the Boot Problem but it didn't fix all of my problems. I wish I could help more but that's where I'm at. I have good luck just plugging it into one of the front USB ports but then I'm back to having to remove it when I re-boot. So trading one problem for another. The board I bought uses the first generation NEC USB 3.0 controller and recently I got another add-in board with the latest generation NEC USB 3.0 controller but I haven't taken the time to take my system apart and install it. Hopefully that will fix the intermittent disconnect problem, but right now I'm busy with other stuff and haven't taken the time to install it. Ha. It's a birthday present sitting in the closet. Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2015, 12:33 PM

Oh darn. It sounds like our two cards are acting about the same, and with one being an NEC chipset and the other being a Via chipset, this is not giving me a lot of encouragement that a good card is going to be easy to find. If anyone has found a modern add-in card (hopefully PCI-E) that works very well with an Interlink, please post it!

This is really surprising to me. I thought those "USB plugfests" were supposed to prevent this stuff.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:52 PM

My short term solution is to point the RF6 link on my taskbar to this batch file instead of directly at RF:

@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight6\RealFlight.exe"
echo Please disconnect the Interlink to prevent booting issues.
pause

That reminds me to disconnect it after running so I don't have to wake up to mornings where Windows has updated itself and crashed on the reboot.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
My short term solution is to point the RF6 link on my taskbar to this batch file instead of directly at RF:

@echo off
"C:\Program Files (x86)\RealFlight6\RealFlight.exe"
echo Please disconnect the Interlink to prevent booting issues.
pause

That reminds me to disconnect it after running so I don't have to wake up to mornings where Windows has updated itself and crashed on the reboot.
Yup, that would work.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:22 PM

Hi everyone,
I got a similar problem and have an ASUS motherboard on an all-in-one ET2702I with windows 10. I got in touch with the RF support and they could not find anything wrong with my configs, ActiveX etc.. INow, if the interlink is plugged, it does not start. BUT if I use the workaround to plug it after windows gets loaded, before I launch RF7.5, then I wait minutes to get the field loaded, other minutes to get the plane loaded..and then any action on the PC is slow, meaning very slow (even to get the task manager displayed.); In optherwords, the PC is gone and I have to unplug everything and reboot. Any advice?
Old 11-07-2015, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie1A View Post
Hi everyone,
I got a similar problem and have an ASUS motherboard on an all-in-one ET2702I with windows 10. I got in touch with the RF support and they could not find anything wrong with my configs, ActiveX etc..
Any advice?
You could try plugging the Interlink into an external USB hub, preferably a wall powered USB 2.0 hub.

Normally the bios does not initialize external hubs during the post, which may circumvent the problem you are having.

However there is no guarantee this will work. The real fix needs to come from ASUS or more correctly ASUS' bios creator.

BTW: also make absolutely sure that the BIOS is not trying to boot from USB hard drive or USB devices, and also not trying to mount them during POST.

Newer bios' can do so creating problems.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: