Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 7 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 12-25-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Yep, now I can add the throttle servo back.
Any thoughts on adding a gas line..??
Old 12-25-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Any thoughts on adding a gas line..??
The engine doesn't have any intake parts so there's nothing to connect to. But there is a gas line if you look at the fuel tank, it has a connection at the bottom with a fuel line going into the fuselage. Sorry, that's about it.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:28 PM

In theory, you could make a propeller out of your engine with one cylinder being a blade and the number of cylinders is determined by the number of blades in this case 5. Or with some work in notepad 7 or 9.

There may be a limit on the number of tris that realflight can render as a propeller. I have encountered some issues with rendering a few of the stock props with 20+ blades, but not others. I don't know the reason for this but I have gone all the way to 32 blades on the mustang prop to make a turbofan and it is fine.
  • build the engine 24 inches in diameter so that you set the diameter of the engine with the prop diameter
  • all non repeated parts become part of the hub (case, collector ring, carb)
  • all repeated objects become part of the blade (cylinder, exhaust and intake pipes, plug wires)
  • replace the graphics engine on the model with a 4-sided n-gon centered appropriately to locate the engine.
  • in the physics add an engine set the weight as 0 with a torque curve of (RPM,in-oz) [(0,0.0) (50 000,0.0)(52000,20000)(54 000, 0.0)]
  • import the prop as a v-pitch

I think I covered everything.
Old 12-25-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
The engine doesn't have any intake parts so there's nothing to connect to. But there is a gas line if you look at the fuel tank, it has a connection at the bottom with a fuel line going into the fuselage. Sorry, that's about it.
That`ll work, just can`t see it in the pics posted so far..
Old 12-26-2015, 01:44 AM

After I reduced the engine triangles I was able to go back and add the throttle servo again and while I was at it I modified the fuel line to so you can see it better. Of course they aren't really connected since the engine doesn't have the intake modeled but I added them in a way I think works to get the detail in the plane even with the limitations I have. So here's a couple of renders for you. I think this is the last thing I'm going to do so it's time to do some final testing and release it.

Got a question. Is there a common color for what gasoline looks like after adding the oil to it? You can see the contents of the tank so does anyone here fly gasoline engines and what color is your gas after you add oil? I haven't looked at Tower Hobbies but maybe they show the color of the oil.. I'll take a look and see.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radial Daze 13.jpg (102.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Radial Daze 14.jpg (100.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-26-2015, 02:23 AM

Everything looks great, can`t help you on the fuel color, was wondering if you could move the motor mount frame and screws backward some more on the fuse, in other words, there`s not enough wood in front of the screws to hold the motor under a heavy load (if it was real of coarse), just a thought...
Old 12-26-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle twist View Post
Everything looks great, can`t help you on the fuel color, was wondering if you could move the motor mount frame and screws backward some more on the fuse, in other words, there`s not enough wood in front of the screws to hold the motor under a heavy load (if it was real of coarse), just a thought...
I moved the rear of the mount back .124" and the screws back .062" which probably isn't as much as you wanted but you don't know the design of the mount. The front of the plane is plywood doublers with a combination wood and aluminum core. There's a U-Shaped aluminum former that reinforces the front, top, and bottom edges of the fuselage where the motor mount attaches. So the load is spread out across a large area. That allows a small contact area to be sufficient for the load. Here's a render of that area once I moved it back a little. Even with the way I designed the mount it needed to be moved back a little, like you said it was pretty close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radial Daze 15.jpg (101.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-26-2015, 08:03 AM

My fuel is an ugly dark green. Using oil from Home Depot. There are some clear oil additives, but most of what I have seen is a green. You also need to make the fuel flow with the angle of the aircraft. Sorry just some post Christmas evil lump-of-coal humor.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
My fuel is an ugly dark green. Using oil from Home Depot. There are some clear oil additives, but most of what I have seen is a green. You also need to make the fuel flow with the angle of the aircraft. Sorry just some post Christmas evil lump-of-coal humor.
Thanks for the reply. Hum.. maybe I'll go with clear oil I'm not sure I want an ugly dark green, and I'll work on the fuel flow problem and get back to you But thinking about it a dark green might go good with the yellow fuselage I'll check that out.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:22 PM

This help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -a.jpg (65.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-26-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
This help?
Yes, thanks it does help. I'm going with that green look.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
nice work technoid and detail is good
Old 12-26-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug schluter View Post
nice work technoid and detail is good
Thanks Doug!
Old 12-26-2015, 03:13 PM

I just uploaded Radial Daze to the Swap Pages... Enjoy!
Old 12-26-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I moved the rear of the mount back .124" and the screws back .062" which probably isn't as much as you wanted but you don't know the design of the mount. The front of the plane is plywood doublers with a combination wood and aluminum core. There's a U-Shaped aluminum former that reinforces the front, top, and bottom edges of the fuselage where the motor mount attaches. So the load is spread out across a large area. That allows a small contact area to be sufficient for the load. Here's a render of that area once I moved it back a little. Even with the way I designed the mount it needed to be moved back a little, like you said it was pretty close.
I thought you had that area reinforced pretty well.. Would not want to see that pretty motor come off midflight.. due to a structural flaw. then we would have to press the red button. Great job Technoid

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: