Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
PLEASE HELP KEEP THIS THREAD CLEAN REMOVE YOUR QUESTIONS. You can edit your post and then delete it.

The thread is for radio solutions only. If you want to explain the setup of a radio, this is the place for that. If you have questions please post them as a new thread.
I am running RF7.5 and my field radio is a Graupner mz-24, 12 channel. I'm flying the Flightliine P-38 in the sim and all works well except the guns fire when I move the rudder stick to the far left. Can't figure out how to correct that.

This is a radio set up question, or perhaps an RF7.5 setup question?
Old 12-11-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
The thread is for radio solutions only not questions.
Sorry I miss read. I put it on another thread, hopefully the right one.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:43 PM

A Complete Guide To How I Fly Wirelessly In RF 7.5 With My Taranis TX

I have successfully bound my Taranis Plus X9D transmitter to RealFlight 7.5 and currently (only) use my Taranis while flying in RealFlight.

Here's how I did it and will explain what you'll need and how to set it up.

I'm a relative newbie to RC flying (so the reason I purchased RealFlight), the RealFlight software (had it only about a week at this writing) and my Taranis radio so I don't write this as some all-knowing guru on either RealFlight 7.5 or my Taranis. That I'm not...but I know just enough to be dangerous. This has been put together with the new RC hobbyist in mind. If this appears to be rudimentary and boring to the more experienced RealFlight and Taranis user that wasn't it's intention. Many things I mention here may be obvious to the experienced RCer but not so much so for the new person to RC flying (or anyone considering getting into the hobby). I started at the very bottom rung in this hobby in the fall of 2016 not knowing much of anything (the dumb-as-a-rock syndrome). I had the very general RC principals down but that was about it. I started at the bottom knowing very little about the hobby...but so has everyone else who has ever gotten into this hobby. I've read in RC cyberspace that using your field transmitter with a flight simulator only creates additional "wear and tear" on the TX. I disagree. If the parts quality and workmanship of any transmitter I've purchased is that cheap that I can't use it in a simulator without it failing I was a fool for buying it. How you control your aircraft in a simulator is no different than how you'd control a real RC aircraft out in the field, with care not only for the aircraft you're flying but your TX as well.

Having said that let's get into the nuts and bolts of what I did. Note that this setup is SPECIFICALLY for the wireless interface edition of RealFlight 7.5, NOT the physical, hardwired editions. There may be other threads in the Knife Edge forum that may help you get your Taranis connected if you have or plan to buy any of the physical, hard-wired interface editions of RealFlight. Since the edition of RealFlight I purchased came with the wireless dongle I have absolutely no experience with the hardwired, physically-connected editions. This focuses ONLY on connecting the Taranis wirelessly to RealFlight 7.5 using only the dongle. I wanted to use the same TX I use in the field, my Taranis Plus X9D, with RealFlight so I was accustomed to using only one transmitter. While the physical, hard-wired editions of RealFlight may have worked with my Taranis with a little research, I chose to go the wireless route.

================================================
Part 1 - Getting Everything Together You'll Need
================================================

=======
Item 1) RealFlight 7.5
=======

RealFlight Option 1:
--------------------
If you're considering the purchase of RealFlight to use with your Taranis and don't yet have RealFlight this is my suggestion for what you'll need:

RealFlight 7.5 Wireless SLT Transmitter Interface Edition
Link: http://www.realflight.com/products/r...einfo=features

This edition comes with (only) the RealFlight software DVD and the wireless dongle.

RealFlight Option 2:
--------------------
If you currently own RealFlight that came with one of the physical, hard-wired interfaces and want to transition to a wireless interface you'll (only) need the wireless interface dongle to make this transition:

Wireless Interface
Link: http://www.realflight.com/products/r...einfo=features

This is the RealFlight USB dongle wireless interface only.

Important to note: If you currently own a RealFlight hard-wired, physical connection edition you'll have to contact RealFlight support to determine if YOUR edition of your RealFlight DVD software will be compatible with the wireless dongle interface. The software on the RealFlight DVD *MAY* be identical for all editions but I'm not sure. Something worth checking first.

=======
Item 2) Taranis Plus X9D Transmitter
=======

This setup is specific to the Taranis Plus X9D transmitter but may work just as well with other versions of the Taranis. You'll have to investigate. NOTE: You will need, at the very least, version 2.19 of the Taranis open-source firmware installed on your Taranis. Earlier versions of the open source firmware prior to version 2.19 (although I think version 2.18 is) aren't coded to support the multi-protocol module we'll be using. Version 2.19 at this time is the standard firmware version for most Taranis users. Version 2.2 is currently under development but has yet to be officially released. The resource links provided below will help get 2.19 on your Taranis.

=======
Item 3) A multi-protocol module compatible with the Taranis
=======

RealFlight supports the SLT wireless protocol that is not available, by default, on the Taranis so a multi-protocol module is required.

IMPORTANT: It's important to note that the multi-protocol module is the key component to getting the Taranis connected to RealFlight 7.5 effectively so getting it set up properly, most of all having the SLT protocol on it, is crucial.

If you're not familiar with the multi-protocol module here are two online resources to get you started. Start with #1 first:

#1 - The multi-protocol module for the end-user:
Link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rsky-Devo-DSM2)

#2 - The multi-protocol module for the developer:
Link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ocol-TX-Module

Forum #2 is directed more toward the developers of the module with a lot of 'techy' information regarding the open source firmware but still worth reading and a good resource for the end user. It will help you to a degree to understand the workings of the module. Both links contain a lot of valuable information and are worth researching.

Two versions, first and second generations, of the multi-protocol module are available for the Taranis. The module can be programmed for (or can possibly ship) with several RC protocols, SLT being one of them that RealFlight implements. So the name, "multi-protocol". Here's a list of protocols that can be used with and supported by the module:

1 FLYSKY
2 HUBSAN
3 FRSKYD
4 HISKY
5 V2X2
6 DSM
7 DEVO
8 YD717
9 KN
10 SYMAX
11 SLT
12 CX10
13 CG023
14 BAYANG
15 SYMAX

Where you can find the modules. If the links no longer function over time just copy the product name and use that for a search. The prices I quote below are estimates on what I've seen. This particular vendor does not charge shipping (unless you want tracking for a small fee), however, most of their products do come from China so there can be a real time lag at times getting these components:

Multi-Protocol Module option 1
------------------------------
2.4G CC2500 A7105 Flysky Frsky Devo DSM2 Multiprotocol TX Module With Antenna ($35)
Link: http://www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500-...p-1048377.html

This is the first-generation module and only comes as a stand-alone board so doesn't include a case. The case is here:

Transmitter Module Case Cover for 2.4G CC2500 A7105 Flysky Frsky Devo DSM2 Multiprotocol TX Module ($6)
Link: http://www.banggood.com/Transmitter-...p-1121894.html

Multi-Protocol Module option 2
------------------------------
A newer, second generation version of the multi-Protocol module was just released (around 4/12/17). It's a complete module package, includes ALL protocols and comes in an ABS case. You just plug it into your Taranis and you're good to go. It has a larger firmware software capacity in it's on-board chipset to contain ALL protocols, unlike the first-generation multi-protocol module option 1 above which is limited. However, since this newer module has yet to be tested by the multi-module software/firmware developers at this writing, use this module at your own risk. While it's basically a copy of the module option 1 firmware/software-wise at some point in the near future it should be better supported.

iRangeX IRX4 2.4G CC2500 NRF24L01 A7105 CTRF6936 4 IN 1 Multiprotocol STM32 TX Module With Case ($40-$45)
Link: http://www.banggood.com/IRangeX-IRX4...p-1139049.html

Should you opt for using multi-protocol module option 1 it may need to be flashed with the latest available firmware and to ensure the SLT protocol is installed. Because of the chipset capacity restrictions it can't hold all the protocols. These modules come from China and not all modules are created equal in what protocols are already installed and shipped with. While the first-generation module you purchase may or may not include the SLT protocol mine already did when I ordered mine January 2017. The following only applies to module option 1. You'll need these two components to flash the firmware on the
first-generation module.

Tip: Before attempting to flash the firmware on the first-generation module check first to see what protocols it came with. You may not need to flash it. Just temporarily install the board in the back of your Taranis (without the case), turn your Taranis on, create a new model and during the new model setup check what protocols are available for the "External RF Mode". The "External RF Mode" will show all available protocols on the module. If the SLT protocol shows up in the protocol list, you're good to go. If not, the SLT protocol will have to be flashed on the module. I describe the "External RF Mode" further in this post.

These flashing components are noted in the resource forum threads above but have noted them here.

USBASP USBISP 3.3 5V AVR Downloader Programmer With ATMEGA8 ATMEGA128 ($6)
Link: http://www.banggood.com/USBASP-USBIS...-p-934425.html

Windows USB software driver for the USBASP USBISP 3.3 5V AVR Downloader Programmer With ATMEGA8 ATMEGA128 (downloadable ZIP file - free)
Link: http://www.protostack.com/download/U...x64-v3.0.7.zip

==========================
Part 2 - Setting It All Up
==========================

This setup assumes the following:

It's not the intention of this setup to instruct you in the use of the RealFlight sim or your Taranis transmitter (there are plenty of other online resources for that) but only in getting the Taranis wirelessly connected to RealFlight.

1 - You're familiar with the installation and (to a degree) the setup of RealFlight
2 - You have some basic knowledge in setting up your Taranis transmitter, most importantly, setting up a new basic model (that's all we'll need for the initial setup).
3 - You have the multi-protocol module installed in your Taranis with (at the very least) the correct protocol installed, being SLT.

=======
Step 1:
=======

Have your Taranis handy and ready to turn on (the module supporting the SLT protocol IS installed?). Install RealFlight on your computer (if you haven't already) including the installation of the wireless USB dongle. Fire up RealFlight and have it sitting at the default screen. If you've already used RealFlight your default screen may be different from the default screen seen immediately after a new installation.

We need to, first, set up and create a new transmitter for RealFlight, that being the Taranis. From the RealFlight menu across the top click "Simulation" then from the drop-down menu click "Select Controller".

From the "Select Controller" window that pops up you'll see a transmitter name showing. It could be any one of 8 transmitter setups already included by default in RealFlight, but probably the first in the drop-down list. I personally selected the "Spektrum". It really doesn't matter which transmitter is selected as we'll be changing the parameters for the Taranis, anyway, once we add the Taranis as a new transmitter in the list. Our immediate goal now is to just get your Taranis added to the existing list as a new transmitter to use. Once a default transmitter is selected click "Edit".

You should now see a pop-up window "Edit Profile: (transmitter name)". Now click "Save As" at the bottom of the screen. A new window pops up allowing you to put a name in for a new profile, in this case it'll be the Taranis. I used "Taranis Plus X9D" for my profile name but use any name you wish. After entering a profile name, click "Ok". This will NOT overwrite the existing transmitter profile you initially selected because you've given the new profile a totally different name.

That's it. A new profile has been created for the Taranis and you'll see it in the drop-down list of available transmitter profiles. Don't concern yourself about changing any of the parameters within your new profile just yet. These can and will be changed later. Select "Close" and you're taken back to the "Select Transmitter" window. Select "OK" and you're back to your default RealFlight Screen. You can leave RealFlight open as we'll be needing it shortly or you can close RealFlight completely if you wish and reload it later when we need it.

=======
Step 2:
=======

Now it's time to set up your Taranis in prep to bind with RealFlight.

You can use OpenTX Companion 2.19 to make these changes but it took so little time doing it directly on my Taranis I didn't bother hooking up my TX to my computer, loading companion, etc. It was just faster for me to do it directly from the Taranis menu screens.

Turn your Taranis on and we'll create a new model, that being for RealFlight. You should be able to navigate within your Taranis and know how to create a new model but here's a recap:

- From the default screen that loads after turning on the Taranis quick press the "Menu" button.
- Press the + or - buttons to navigate to a blank model line
- Long press on the "ENT" button and select "Create New Model"
- Go through all the options for setting up a fixed-wing aircraft (be sure to select "flaps" as many aircraft in RealFlight have flaps).
- Once you're finished creating the model you should be back at the "Model Selection" screen.
- Select the new model you just created by navigating to it with the + or - buttons (if it isn't already highlighted) then quick press the "Page" button. This takes you to the first model page, the "Model Setup" screen and we can start setting up this model with specifics. This is the only page on the Taranis we'll be initially making changes in for your new model.

From within the "Model Setup" page (page one) in your Taranis screen change only the following lines:

Model Name:

Anything you like. I chose "RF 7.5 Sim"

- button down to "Model Image"

Optional, you don't have to add anything here but there is an image for RealFlight version 6 available if you want to use it. It came with version 2.19 of the firmware.

- button down to "Internal RF Mode"

Press "ENT" and while flashing select "OFF" with your - or + buttons then "ENT" again to set it permanently to OFF. We'll only be using the external multi-module for this new model.

- button down to "External RF Mode"

This is referencing the multi-protocol module you should have installed in your Taranis and the Taranis should recognize it's installed. Quick press "ENT" in the first option of this line then using the + and - buttons scroll through to and select "MULT" and press "ENT". Now we're starting to dig into all the protocols available for the multi-protocol module. Using the - button go to the next option to the right quick pressing "ENT" again and using the + and - buttons scroll through all the available protocols to the SLT protocol. Press "ENT" again to set this protocol. Press the - button again to go to the SLT sub-protocol option, again to the right. It should be set at "SLT". There's a sub-protocol called "Vista" but I didn't choose it. I kept the sub-protocol at SLT.

So for the "External RF Mode" line you should see: MULT SLT SLT

- button down to "Auto Bind"

I checked this box to initially bind with RealFlight but it can be disabled later once the TX is successfully bound with RealFlight. I had to only bind once with the wireless dongle interface. Each consecutive RealFlight session I was connected automatically.

- button down to "Trainer Port Mode"

This is the last option to change on the "Model Setup" screen. Quick press "ENT" and using the - and + buttons scroll through the trainer port options. You should see these 4:

Master/CPPM Module
Master/SBUS Module
Slave/Jack
Master/Jack

Assumptions for these trainer port options:

The Master/CPPM Module and Master/SBUS Module are used for a wireless connection.
The Slave/Jack and Master/Jack are used for a physical, hard-wired connection using the Taranis physical trainer port.

I chose the Master/CPPM Module but found the Master/SBUS also connected.

There's no need to change anything else in the model setup screen. What we've just done will get us connected to RealFlight.

Quick press the "EXIT" button twice and you're back to the default screen in your Taranis showing your new model as the one selected with your model all set up, ready to bind to RealFlight.

======
Step 3
======

Binding the Taranis to RealFlight...

Make sure your Taranis is on and the new RealFlight model you've created shows as the active model. Load and run RealFlight on your computer if it isn't already up and running. Be sure the wireless dongle is installed in a USB port if it isn't already (and preferrably visible to you).

Once RealFlight is up and running the RF wireless dongle in your USB port should be flashing red (because there's no transmitter connected at the moment the dongle recognizes). From the RealFlight menu across the top select "Simulation" then "Select Controller" from the drop-down menu. If your Taranis transmitter you previously set up as a new transmitter doesn't show in the "Select Controller" pop-up window select it now. It should be at the bottom of the list. You should now be sitting at the "Select Controller" window in RealFLight with your transmitter selected.

Now, the moment you've been waiting for...

The red light on the RF wireless dongle may (or may not) still be flashing. There may be no light showing at all. In the "Select Controller" window click "Bind". If the red light on the dongle was flashing or even off entirely it should now be on at a steady state with a solid red light and your Taranis transmitter showing now as the "Radio Transmitter (Active)" in RealFlight.

You've done it. If you don't see a bind with a solid red light on the wireless dongle the multi-protocol module possibly isn't set up properly. All that's really required on the module is making sure the SLT protocol IS on the module. There's really nothing else to do. Again I mention getting the module set up properly is critical in binding to RealFlight. That may take a little research on your part. "Out of the box" my module operated correctly after I installed it in my Taranis. I didn't mess with anything so basically, plug and play (with the first generation module). The second generation module may be easier yet.

If you have a steady state red light on the RF wireless dongle (meaning it's successfully bound) it's time to test to see what's working and what isn't. While still in the "Select Controller" window click "Edit" next to your transmitter name to go into your transmitter profile. At this point I would make sure the two boxes at the bottom of the screen of your TX profile are checked, "Enable Radio Software Mixes" and "Enable Software Radio Dual Rates And Expo" as recommended by RealFlight if they aren't already checked. Uncheck all boxes under the "Reverse" column for now.

Move your TX sticks around and you should see activity with the blue lines next to each channel, at least channels 1 through 4. This is the point you'll have to play with the various parameters for your Taranis in the edit profile screen. But if you're anxious to try flying an aircraft now (NOT later but NOW!) what I did was to uncheck all boxes under the "Reverse" column but DID check (or leave checked) the "Enable Radio Software" Mixes" and "Enable Software Radio Dual Rates And Expo" boxes. Now just exit out of all open windows back to the main RealFlight screen and try flying your first aircraft wirelessly, provided the sticks are functioning properly for all your control surfaces. The "Reverse" column in your transmitter profile can resolve a few immediate issues if need be by checking/unchecking those boxes. Just some trial and error.

I have successfully assigned physical switches on my Taranis for dual rates (channel 5) and flaps (channel 6) but will save that for another post. Have been unable to implement channels 7 and 8 in RealFlight to use for "engine start" and "retracts" on my Taranis switches but all in time that will be figured out. Right now those are (probably) key presses on the keyboard (I and O). It may be I have to set up indivdual models in my Taranis for those to function which may be unique for a given model within RealFlight.

Taranis TX battery drain considerations While Simming on RealFlight
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some have commented on the Knife Edge forum they are experiencing battery drain with their TX (not the Taranis) as they fly in RealFlight. I have no such problem with my Taranis. On 1/1/17 I ordered a battery to replace the "2000mAh NiMH low self discharge battery" my Taranis originally shipped with. I received this replacement battery the second week in January, charged it once on getting it and have yet to charge it a second time and today's date is 4/19/17, almost 4 months. I have used my TX extensively turning it off and on, scrolling through menus extensively and flying in RealFlight for extended periods. This battery has a nominal voltage of 9.9V so I initially charged it at 11V. The battery meter on my Taranis reads this date 10.1V. My Taranis is a miser when it comes to using TX battery power. I expect this battery to last for several years before I need to replace it. For those Taranis users interested in this replacement batt the link is below. You can't beat it for (currently) under $10. The reviews for this batt in the link below speak for themselves:

Turnigy nano-tech 1500mAH LiFe 3S 9.9v Transmitter Pack (Taranis Compatible)
Link: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...ompatible.html

Disclaimer: the links I provide here were links I used to acquire what I needed to accomplish this. No way am I associated with any of these vendors. Quite bluntly, they just had what I needed.

I welcome comments on using the Taranis with RealFlight as there may be a better way to accomplish what I describe here. This certainly isn't set in stone and is open to fine-tuning. This has, however, worked for me in getting to fly RealFlight using only my Taranis untethered to physical cables.

I hope this has helped a little for those who have the Taranis TX.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: