Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEJ View Post
Now.. For a Visionair model.. LOL

Multiplex Acro Master.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...o=file&id=1254

'VisionAire Doppelganger'
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=18380

Here is the paint scheme file for the VisionAire Doppelganger v2
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...=file&id=18381
Old 01-06-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprade View Post
I have a slightly different problem but with a similar config. I can't get RF7 to recognize the controller so RF7 never starts. OS X shows the USB dedicated to the VM and Windows Device Manager shows a HID Game Controller "working properly". Any ideas would be appreciated. The RF7 is a fresh install and I tried restarting the VM. RF7 runs fine on native Win7 box. Here is my config:
Try it under BootCamp first. If it doesn't work in BootCamp, it's not the VM layer.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:33 PM

Running RF Drone Edition on Fusion

Does this work? Will the drone edition run on a Macbook Pro Mid 2012 running Fusion with 2.9 ghz i7 Intel Processor and Intel HD Graphics 4000. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFPCJ&P=ML On this website it clearly says that it doesn't work on a mac or any virtual machines running windows, is this true or are they just being cautious?
Old 10-27-2015, 01:49 PM

I tried only RF 7.x because that's what I have. I suspect the Drone edition "works" and in the worst case runs too slowly to be any fun. What IS true is that Knife Edge does not support running in a virtual machine. So you're on your own if it doesn't work out.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:39 PM

Realflight Drone is based on Realflight 7.5 and should function the same on a Mac as 7.5 does. As mentioned earlier Knife Edge and Realflight technical support doesn't support virtual machine installs of any of their software but they do support a Boot camp install.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:37 PM

"Apart from routine updates, absolutely nothing has changed. "

So by definition something HAS changed.... e.g. those "routine updates".

Last edited by opjose; 03-06-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Thanks Kirby

I just bought RealFlight Drone Flight Simulator and will load it tonight. I will update you with what I find running on a MacBook Pro (2015) running OS 10.11.13 and vmWare Fusion 8.1.0 with Windows 10.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:22 AM

Smile Running RealFlight Drone on a MacBook Pro with Fusion

Today, I had a chance to load and fly RealFlight Drone Flight Simulator on my MacBook Pro using an Apple 27" LED Cinema Display and vmWare Fusion. Using default settings except as noted below, all worked well. I am very satisfied. Configuration details are below.

MacBook Pro OS 10.11.13 (built in mid-2015)
Built-in display: Retina 15 (most of the time laptop is closed and Retina display is off
External display via DisplayPort on PCIe bus: 27 LED Cinema Display at 1920X1200 resolution with 32-bit color
Processor: 2.8 Ghz Intel i7
Memory: 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3
Hard drive: 1 TB high speed SSD

Graphics Cards:
Internal: Built-in Intel Iris Pro - VRAM (Dynamic, Max) 1536 MB
External: AMD Radeon R9 M370X - VRAM (Total) 2048 MB

No built-in CD/DVD player. External one used: Samsung 8x Ultra External DVD Burner - SE-218GN/RSBD - USB 3.0

Keyboard: Apple Bluetooth
Mouse: Logitech Travel Bluetooth

Virtual Machine running on vmWare Fusion 8.1.0 (3272237)
VM Tools: current version
PC OS: Windows 10 version 1511 - 32-bit OS running on a x64 based processor
DirectX 9 loaded
PC Processor: single core Intel 2.80 GHz
PC allocated RAM: 8 GB
PC virtual c-drive: allocated 276 GB; current use 203.3 GB

RealFlight Drone Flight Simulator version 1.00.025
InterLink Elite Controller by Futaba connected to USB 3.0
Old 04-01-2016, 11:47 PM

Getting RF4 to work on Parallels wasn't hard at all, the only tricky spot was getting G4 launcher to work, had to disconnect all the Mac drives from the VM. This was running XPSP3 under Parallels 8 on a Mid 2011 iMac 27, 3.4 GHz i7 Quad core, 32GB RAM, and a 1TB SSD. GRaphics adapter is an ATI Radeon 6970M GPU with 2GB.

I bought the RF7.5 upgrade, and it states that RF7.5 only works on Win7, so I spun up a VM and installed Win7 Ultimate on it. I gave it 4 CPUs and 4GB RAM. Installed RF4, and it won't run, gives a 3D graphics error. I'm upgrading it to RF7.5 now, hopefully this issue goes away. I'll post the results.

Anyone having issues with the install can ask me questions, I'm happy to answer

Last edited by brichter1; 04-01-2016 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Windows 7 okay; Windows 10 not

I had RF 7.5 running with no issues on Mac with Parallels running Windows 7. I've installed it now on Windows 10 and get a sound card issue and an unexpected error when it tried to load the main screen. Running a VM is virtually identical to running Bootcamp in resulting effect. Knife Edge should offer support.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMM View Post
Running a VM is virtually identical to running Bootcamp in resulting effect. Knife Edge should offer support.
Except it completely isn't the same. If you run bootcamp the software api's have access to the actual hardware not something emulated. It's basically turning your Computer into a PC which nowadays is what it really is under the proprietary operating system. That's why it's fairly easy to run OSX on other computers like my Dell XPS laptop that runs OSX. There's never been support for virtual machines for RealFlight and probably won't be. Too many variables.

Your problem isn't a RealFlight issue anyways it's a Windows/virtual machine/Apple and most likely a Windows 10 issue so look there for support. Realflight 7.5 works perfectly on systems with Windows 10 when it's not emulated.

Last edited by csgill75; 05-29-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
If you run bootcamp the software api's have access to the actual hardware not something emulated. .
As he said there are SEVERAL "layers" that come into play when you are running software in a VM over and above (or below in this case) the guest operating system.

You have the host operating system, it's API's, kernel, drivers, etc... all getting in the way.

Bootcamp makes Windows the native operating system of the machine so OSX does not get in the way at all.

Performance is also vastly improved too as there are no call translations getting in the way.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:34 PM

12" Macbook early 2016

I use Parallels rather than VM on my work MacBook Pro, but I expect they are essentially the same. I'd like to run RF on my personal MacBook connected to my 50" TV. The Core 5M processor has two cores. From your description, 1 should be fine. The Mac has an SSD, 8Gb RAM, and Intel HD Graphics 515 with 1.5Gb of VRAM. All of this seems adequate, but I'm reluctant to buy a copy of Win 10 and Parallels only to find it actually doesn't run well. I can use a trial copy of Parallels, but have to purchase Win 10.

Can anyone comment on the likelihood of problems running RF on my Macbook?

Thanks so much.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: