Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RF-X - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:51 PM

RFX features questions

Have not as yet upgraded to the high HP PC RFX requires, so here are a few questions for those who are able to run the new version:

E-power:
1. In the real world, pilots use a down counter. Does the stop watch now support both up and down counting?
2. Pilots do not fly the packs to zero volts, but to a settable safe Low Voltage Cutoff. Are there now ESC settings available such as LVC, action to take (stop, reduce throttle input, etc.)? Can better approximate flight times by making custom cells with adjusted capacities, but that should not be necessary.

Launches
3. In RF 7x hand launches seem to be set at about 25mph. In the real world, if a plane is launched with an upward toss (as I'll have to learn with the FBW), the launch speed is much lower, with flight speed being essentially being achieved by the prop only. RF 7x has no settings to change the hand launch speed (that I've found anyway). As the FBW has no airfoil, it will take some second or so to reach flying speed from such a slow launch, and was hoping to be able to duplicate it in RF.
4. Ditto on the discus launch-- no user settable launch speed found. Is there one in RFX?

Thanks

Enjoy a great week and weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1502764436.jpg (310.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-10-2018, 06:42 PM

I have a question. My new plane the T-28 Trojan seems to stick in the ground a lot of the time and it's hard to get it going, so if anyone knows why it's doing that I'd appreciate the help. All the tires have a collision mesh which is very round and is fully closed it but it still sticks. The collision mesh is pretty close to the tire but the tire doesn't stick through it anywhere. So if you have any idea what it is please let me know. I think all of my planes do that.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:13 PM

Are you using the RC Ranch airport ? the runway surface there is rough and catches wheels, also your beta T-28 sticks on the Meadowlands RC Field runway.
Try Homestead airport or flight school for smooth surface, the T-28 rolls good there.
Do you have a screen shot available.

Last edited by asj5547; 02-10-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
Are you using the RC Ranch airport ? the runway surface there is rough and catches wheels, also your beta T-28 sticks on the Meadowlands RC Field runway.
Try Homestead airport or flight school for smooth surface, the T-28 rolls good there.
Do you have a screen shot available.
Yes that's the one but I've had several of my planes do the same thing on some of the older airports too. Sorry no screen shot though.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Yes that's the one but I've had several of my planes do the same thing on some of the older airports too. Sorry no screen shot though.
Wow ! you're right, the T-28 sticks on many airports, (including Flight School and Homestead)I have only been flying it from RC Ranch which has a few cracks in the runway and various aircraft get stuck there, so I did not pay much attention to the concern.
The T-28 acts like the front wheel is glued to the ground, I deactivated the brakes (that did not help) I increased the strength multiplier on the gear and wheels (that did not Help) but the strength increase has worked on other similar import aircraft problems, sorry I can not be of more help.

Last edited by asj5547; 02-10-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Wow ! you're right, the T-28 sticks on many airports, (including Flight School and Homestead)I have only been flying it from RC Ranch which has a few cracks in the runway and various aircraft get stuck there, so I did not pay much attention to the concern.
The T-28 acts like the front wheel is glued to the ground, I deactivated the brakes (that did not help) I increased the strength multiplier on the gear and wheels (that did not Help) but the strength increase has worked on other similar import aircraft problems, sorry I can not be of more help.
Yes that's kinda what it looks like, the front wheel is stuck. I walked up close to the plane and zoomed in all the way and throttled up the engine some and just watched until I finally broke loose and took off, but I couldn't tell anything. Then I looked really hard at the collision mesh for all of the wheels and they are definitely just slightly larger than the wheel itself and the wheel doesn't stick through the collision mesh at all. I'm going to adjust all three of the wheels collision mesh some and try that and see what happens. I'll post about it here once I try it.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:00 AM

I went back and made the spacing greater between the collision mesh and the main part and between any part around the collision mesh and it did the exact same thing in RF-X so I don't know what to do with it. So unless the KE guys will chime in on this I guess it will be released like that. It works in RF-X but sometimes you need to be quick on the throttle to break it loose. I wonder if the wheels are too small and they get stuck in the rough ground. Anyway I guess it is what it is. Bummer.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:37 AM

Did you try making them exactly the same? Or the mesh slightly smaller?
Old 02-11-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Did you try making them exactly the same? Or the mesh slightly smaller?
When I create the collision mesh for the left wheel I mirror it for the right wheel so they were exactly the same. And the last thing I did was check and make sure they were a little larger than the wheel. The LF/RT mesh was definitely larger than the tire and I made the nose gear mesh larger to match them since it looks like the nose gear gets stuck. One time I kept increasing the throttle when it was stuck and finally the nose gear broke off.

Last edited by technoid; 02-12-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:32 AM

Things too double check:
Naming
Hierarchy
Pivots
Rolling resistance
Old 02-11-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexible2g View Post
Things too double check:
Naming
Hierarchy
Pivots
Rolling resistance
I've checked all that and it works perfectly in RF-8 but sometimes stick in RF-X, not all the time but often enough. The plane works okay in RF-X except you have to sometimes blurp the throttle to unstick it.

But what do you mean by Rolling Resistance, is that a setting in the physics. I'll go look right now for it. Thanks!

UPDATE: I just checked all three tires in the Physics and the Rolling Resistance Multiplier is set to 100 (default value)

Last edited by technoid; 02-11-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:45 PM

Does lowering the resistance help?
Old 02-11-2018, 02:51 PM

If I set rolling resistance down to 20% it is difficult to make aircraft stick, 30% sticks often.
Only way to make T-28 not stick when applying gentle throttle is to set rolling resistance multiplier 1% and friction multiplier 50% (minimum settings) for the FRONT WHEEL only, leave main wheels at 100%

Last edited by asj5547; 02-11-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
If I set rolling resistance down to 20% it is difficult to make aircraft stick, 30% sticks often.
Only way to make T-28 not stick when applying gentle throttle is to set rolling resistance multiplier 1% and friction multiplier 50% (minimum settings) for the FRONT WHEEL only, leave main wheels at 100%
Thanks for checking that out I've been working on the T-28 engine again, now it's a 9 Cylinder Radial. I'll upload a beta shortly in the build thread.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Thanks for checking that out I've been working on the T-28 engine again, now it's a 9 Cylinder Radial. I'll upload a beta shortly in the build thread.
Have you tried those 2 minimum settings on the front wheel ? The T-28 works flawlessly for me with that setup in RF-X, no glued to the ground effect!
So I tried the T-28 in RF 7.5 with the same minimum and maximum settings on the front wheel, I did not notice any real difference the way the aircraft acted on high/low speed taxiing or braking, front wheel had about the same amount of grip!
Maybe you could test it in RF 8 to see if you have the same result.
9 CYLINDERS, okay now I'm interested!!!! looking forward to more power and the 9 cylinder sound effect. Are you making the tail hook active?

Last edited by asj5547; 02-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: