Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 09-03-2017, 08:19 AM

RF 7.5 and tail draggers

Coming from helicopters and just bought my first plane, I know I know nothing about flying airplanes. Figured winter will be a good time to practice take-offs and landings, trim usage and whatever else I need to learn. Here come my questions:

Any (free) model for RF7.5 that can teach me about tail dragger peculiarities and how to fly them? I figure different models fly differently but have you got recommendation for a good model that behaves like a 1.2 kg foam scale tail dragger (my real model is the ST Model DHC-2 Beaver)? How well does RF simulate these peculiarities and what are these peculiarities anyway?

If someone who know tail draggers has a few moments for online multiplayer tutoring just to get me started, then that'd be real neat.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:51 PM

If you want to learn how to fly, RF 7.5 is for you. I don't know that they have any free trial versions, but it is nice since it can help you practice tricks with helicopters and quads too. Also, the Beaver isn't a great trainer, you might want a cheaper, easier to fly plane. If you really want to fly the Beaver, be sure you get enough practice on RF.
Hope you have fun flying planes!
Old 09-07-2017, 10:10 PM

The default Flyzone Beaver seems like a type of plane you are looking for, as its foam and has a somewhat similar weight. However, I haven't flown the real Flyone Beaver so I can't say how accurate the physics are. Also, Realflight doesn't accurately simulate tail dragger characteristics such as ground looping and such, and I find the takeoff and landing physics in Realflight aren't like real life, and the only way to truly how to handle a tail dragger is by practicing. Realflight can help you learn to land with power and not glide it into a landing, which helps create smoother landings. Go to RCGroups (forum owned by the owner of Knife Edge Software) and ask over there, or if your part of an RC club, ask some people about tail draggers.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:11 PM

For general flying though, the sim can help you learn orientation and the general control of a plane and has helped me learn some maneuvers.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 AM

Actually, you won't experience anything much different in flying a modern ARF tail dragger as opposed to something with nose gear. Yes, there are ones that are difficult - primarily heavy, exact scaled models of very short coupled planes. But most general purpose "scale" ARFs have been modified to reduce/eliminate any really bad characteristics. Add to it that most models are overpowered, and lighter, than what is called for if doing exact scale, and peculiarities of taildraggers are pretty much eliminated.
The classic takeoff technique is to smoothly, and relatively slowly, apply power, and allow the tail to come up off the ground. Hold until takeoff speed is achieved, and then pull back slightly to climb out. During this, as with any plane, you will need a bit of right rudder to keep it tracking straight. Ground looping (a sudden spin around of the plane while it is still on the ground), if it is ever going to happen, would be brought on by a too rapid application of throttle at the very start of takeoff.
A heavy plane will have the tail come up well before it gets to flying speed, so yanking it off too soon will result in a departure stall.
But, as noted above, most of that will be of minimal to no consequence for a plane such as yours. You'll probably find that due to lack of weight, and excess power, it takes off fine with barely perceptible lift of the tail before takeoff, and it has no tendency to ground loop even if you jam the throttle forward hard.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:16 AM

Want to experience taildraggers???

Just ripping a tail-dragger into flight as most do is not the way it was meant to be. Most foam planes don't even attempt to fly like the real thing.

If you want to experience tail-draggers, add a crosswind component to the airport. Add power slowly, raise the tail and fly the tail until rotation speed is achieved.

I do not think that a tail-dragger is a great first airplane.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:06 PM

First, thanks heaps for your input, guys!

Now, just to clarify, I have RF and Phoenix, and have been using them for about 7 years now. I'm not entirely sure how things work for RF in the models department (I know the swap pages for free models and other commercial sites for payware) so I thought I'd stress I'd be looking for free models (swap or other).

Greatly appreciate the tip about the flyzone beaver. Mine has flaps but that's a minor thing once the plane gets airborne.

While I'm not a pro by any stretch of the imagination, I would think I have orientation down pretty well from flying helicopters and this scale lady is not going inverted lol, just some relaxing scale-like flight.

Totally appreciated the idea of adding x-wind and the tip on take-off technique.

(as for a tail dragger as a first, I know but well, I figured if I could learn to fly a cp heli as my first, with some good help online and using a sim, and I can be absurdly patient with learning something properly, once I have an idea of how to go about it, then a tail dragger is a challenge I'm happy to take on).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: