Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 11-19-2017, 11:31 PM

RF8 and Blender with FBX import

I'm trying to use the new FBX import capability in RF8 to make it easier to build models using blender, using blender 2.79.
The part I'm struggling with at the moment is the orientation of the pivot axes for elevons. I've started with this model created by lorbass:
https://github.com/ArduPilot/SITL_Mo...ers/Caipirinha
that was created using 3DS max, and exported as a FBX, then imported into RF8 as FBX, and exported from there as a RFX.
I'd like to be able to edit this model (and other models in blender). When I import it in blender the elevons end up pivoting about the wrong axis, giving something more like flapping wings than elevons.
I have managed to get the elevons to pivot around the correct point, but I haven't yet found a way to setup the axis of the pivot to be along the edge of the elevon.
Any suggestions?
Cheers, Tridge
Old 11-21-2017, 01:46 AM

While I don't condone modifying others models I will say this. Changing pivots in blender is a lengthy process. Search YouTube for the specifics if you choose to proceed. Personally, I'd recommend getting the student version of max and learning that program instead. You'll get more help along the way since that's what everyone uses here these days.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
While I don't condone modifying others models I will say this
I probably should have explained that lorbass and I are working on this model (and other models) together.
Quote:
Personally, I'd recommend getting the student version of max and learning that program instead. You'll get more help along the way since that's what everyone uses here these days.
I'll persist with blender for now as I'm aiming to create a workflow that others in the ArduPilot dev team can use to create new models. I want to create a workflow which will allow all the team members to participate without expensive tools.
I'm now starting to create a "RealFlight Tools" plugin for blender to try to make this sort of operation (setting a pivot to an edge) easy. I haven't succeeded yet
Old 11-22-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridge View Post
I'll persist with blender for now as I'm aiming to create a workflow that others in the ArduPilot dev team can use to create new models. I want to create a workflow which will allow all the team members to participate without expensive tools.
I'm now starting to create a "RealFlight Tools" plugin for blender to try to make this sort of operation (setting a pivot to an edge) easy. I haven't succeeded yet
There is no expense when you use a student version of 3ds Max. It's completely free. The only stipulation is that you can not sell the work you do in the student version. Very few people use blender here.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:42 AM

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...6&postcount=16

This should link you to a post I made to where you can download the method I used. When you save the zip file remove the .rfx extension. To see the entire post click on blender tips and tricks in top right of the page. This was the easiest way I found when I used blender.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...6&postcount=16
This should link you to a post I made to where you can download the method I used.
thanks for the link!
Have you tried setting up pivots for control surfaces in a more recent version of blender?
I have got the surface to move correctly by using a custom transform orientation based on a face of the control surface, so that using R XX rotates correctly, but when I export to an FBX file it doesn't retain the orientation of the pivot. I also tried exporting to a 3ds file and using 3ds2kex.exe, but that just gives me an error "File has no nodes"
I suspect the FBX exporter doesn't retain pivot orientation. If it does work for you please let me know.
Cheers, Tridge

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: