Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RF-X > RealFlight Vehicle Editor BETA
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 PM

Thanks Boof69 and csgill75 I'll look at those and get something going for my planes as I upgrade them to RF-X. But just the better ones lots of them are just me getting going. I'm not a great modeler but a few of them are okay. I also found this one too. And thanks again guys I can always count on both of you!

http://www.knifeedge.com/KEmax/plane_tutorial.php
Old 11-24-2016, 09:23 AM

Ryan,
I checked the LOGO 700 XXtreme. There is only one blur hub present in my MAX file, called ~CS_MAINOUTERHUB_XX, XX being short for XXtreme as I was too lazy to type 2BLADE for every rotor component. Same for the tail, all components named XX instead of 2BLADE.
For my test I renamed the main rotor components to 2BLADE and left the tail rotor components alone, retaining their XX name.

First test was FBX export directly from MAX 2016. Both hubs show the same behavior as before (2BLADE as well as XX), additionally some components lack their smoothing groups and textures. No idea why, textures and FBX were in the same directory at import. See attachment FBX.jpg. Blur hubs are attached to the DiskMount components.

Second test was an export through MAX 2012 as KEX file which I imported via the KEX import dialog, resulting in RF-X also rendering both blur hubs, 2BLADE and XX, solidly and without any fades. (see KEX.jpg). Blur hubs connected to DiskMounts.

I finally exported a helicopter from 7.5 that had correctly named hubs (3BLADE in this case), which imported without any issues (see E700.jpg). BlurHubs are attached to DiskMount components once again. No idea whether this is a result of this heli being a modified RF7 original model or something else plays a role here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KEX.jpg (268.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg FBX.jpg (252.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg E700.jpg (276.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:26 AM

I purchased an older great planes funtana x100 at a swat meet this year with a new saito 125. I also found a model on the swap pages created for g3.5. I imported the model and it warned me of many issues but it loaded the model pretty well. In the sim the models landing gear falls through the ground and causes chaos. Could someone load the file and make sense of the issues at hand and see if this model is easily manipulated to work with rfx?

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...o=file&id=1261

There is also a variant created with the saito 125 and a couple additions but i believe if the main model is functional i can change the rest on my own without issues.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:37 AM

Time to put that Oxy 3 out there for folks Johnny31297. I have the Qube but I didn't create it so I can't post it.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Time to put that Oxy 3 out there for folks Johnny31297. I have the Qube but I didn't create it so I can't post it.
See your PMs please.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Johnny, those frame names are case sensitive. You should always adhere to the naming standards we set forth, including case. Ex: ~CS_MainOuterHub (vs. ~CS_MAINOUTERHUB).

It looks like parts of your hierarchy still diverge from what RF-X expects. The DISKMOUNT part should be entirely separate and attached as a child of the fuselage itself. It should have no children.

You omitted the expected 2BLADE designation. This may well cause problems, too.

I understand some of these things apparently worked in 7.5, so the results here probably come as a surprise. Except for the "grip" type noted in the creation guidelines (and of course the new metalness workflow), the standards haven't really changed for RF-X. It's just that 7.5 was apparently more lenient about handling things that deviated from the specification.

We recommend examining the stock heli models for good examples of expected naming and structure. As I'm sure you know, you can do that in the Visuals tab of the editor.
Attached Images
File Type: png Heli hierarchy.png (36.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-28-2016, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08rangerdan View Post
I also found a model on the swap pages created for g3.5. I imported the model and it warned me of many issues but it loaded the model pretty well. In the sim the models landing gear falls through the ground and causes chaos.
http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...o=file&id=1261
I took a quick look. All of the warnings are significant. The lack of collision frames may well cause performance problems (though you may luck out if the model is simple enough, or you may be willing to put up with issues on the ground if it performs okay in the sky).

The 29% Vehicle Graphical Scale will definitely cause sinking into the ground issues like you're seeing. That graphical scale is simply not applied, so in RF-X you have visuals that are much too large for the physics. Hence, the physics model is resting on the ground, but it the oversized visuals are not.

You should be able to scale all the physics components and adjust the graphics scale to 100% to fix the sinking (unless the missing wheel visual frames cause further problems). Unfortunately, the remainder are not issues anyone but the original modeler will be able to fix.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:59 AM

Thanks Ryan, will try correct capitalization when I get home.

Another point regarding collisions, how are those handeled now? If there are no collision meshes on a plane, will it
a) collide the mesh with the ground
b) collide the physics with the ground
c) collide the mesh with the ground if graphical scale=100% but collide the physics if graphical scale=/=100%?
Old 11-29-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
Johnny, those frame names are case sensitive. You should always adhere to the naming standards we set forth, including case. Ex: ~CS_MainOuterHub (vs. ~CS_MAINOUTERHUB).
Thank you. This was the solution. The sim doesn't care about the 2BLADE naming, it's the capitalization of the blur hubs what matters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L700.jpg (274.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 12-11-2016, 07:32 PM
Administrator

I'm guessing you get the desired results without the 2BLADE designation only because the sim defaults to 2. It would not be good practice to depend upon that behavior; it would be best to follow the spec and always specify the number of blades.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:15 AM

Hello,
for imported models, no preview images are displayed in RF-X. It had tried with two models.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:58 PM

Error 1325 on install

trying to install the editor. Any idea what this error is?

Error 1325. Favorites is not a valid short file name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen shot.jpg (175.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-26-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyh2o View Post
trying to install the editor. Any idea what this error is?

Error 1325. Favorites is not a valid short file name.
Did you install the update first?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:54 PM

Yup, sure did, running .037
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen shot.jpg (145.0 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by sharkyh2o; 12-28-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:47 PM

Republic P47D does not import properly.
Propeller is mid fuselage.
Swap page link http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/down...20922&act=down
RF-X_x64 2018-01-03 18-30-25-64.jpg

RF-X_x64 2018-01-03 18-30-41-12.jpg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: