Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 03-08-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
Technoid talk to DDawg, here are 2 screenshots illustrating gloss, as you can see DDawg's Citibria CS has a nice shine to it in RF-X, but as shown in the Big Red mk11 CS by DDawg is dull in RF-X, can the magic "gloss" formula that was used in the Citibria CS be applied to other CS's ??? to put the sparkle back into RF-X.
Thanks I have that plane but haven't imported it to RF-X yet but I'll do that right now!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Technoid talk to DDawg, here are 2 screenshots illustrating gloss, as you can see DDawg's Citibria CS has a nice shine to it in RF-X, but as shown in the Big Red mk11 CS by DDawg is dull in RF-X, can the magic "gloss" formula that was used in the Citibria CS be applied to other CS's ??? to put the sparkle back into RF-X.
I don't think I can use what makes the Citibria Pro look good in RF-X. If you look at the Citibria Pro in RF-8 or RF 7.5 in your case you'll see it has a very mirror look and that's from two things. First the RGB layer in the Spec Map uses a very high value for the Diffuse lighting and then there's 'no' Alpha' layer in the Spec Map which forces RealFlight to use their Default value for Gloss which is probably all the way up, or $FFFFFF. So it looks like to get a decent amount of Gloss in RF-X requires a very mirror looking finish in RF-8 or RF 7.5.

So it looks like the mirror like gloss in RF-8 or RF 7.5 is needed to give RF-X a decent amount of gloss, which isn't what I want on my planes. But if they had RF-X swap pages too I could create the very high gloss look for RF-8 but upload it to the RF-X swap page, which would be okay. But I don't use the mirror look on my planes. I like gloss but in smaller doses. I guess an Ultracote look is what I usually go for these days.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:46 PM

I created the spec map for the Citabria .... using the finished DDS of the plane.

I converted the colored dds into a gray scale ... Then changed it to the negitive of the image, the lighten the image to about 20% opacity, then saved it as a Spec Map dds file ...

It doesn't always work out as planned, it takes several attempts to get the desired results ....

I will try it with my RWB Hobbico BR MKII and upload the CS, then you can see if it helped in RFX ... I don't have Ten ...
Old 03-08-2018, 02:04 PM

I will post the CS in the Big Red MKII thread ...

In A few ...
Old 03-08-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDawg View Post
I created the spec map for the Citabria .... using the finished DDS of the plane.

I converted the colored dds into a gray scale ... Then changed it to the negitive of the image, the lighten the image to about 20% opacity, then saved it as a Spec Map dds file ...

It doesn't always work out as planned, it takes several attempts to get the desired results ....

I will try it with my RWB Hobbico BR MKII and upload the CS, then you can see if it helped in RFX ... I don't have Ten ...
Sorry I'm confused. You said you used the colored dds, so are you saying you imported the plane with ONLY a Color Scheme TGA file that abaser did and THEN TOOK the Color Scheme DDS that RealFlight created during the Import process to work with?
Old 03-08-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Sorry I'm confused. You said you used the colored dds, so are you saying you imported the plane with ONLY a Color Scheme TGA file that abaser did and THEN TOOK the Color Scheme DDS that RealFlight created during the Import process to work with?

LOL ... yes you are ... LOL

1. I used the final "citabria aerobatic pro.dds" for the version of the "Pro" that Andy released - (I did the CS and Physics for it).

2. I opened the dds into my paint shop pro program.

3. I converted the "colored" CS into grayscale ....

4. I converted the grayscale to a negitive of that image ...

5. I then lightened the opacity to 20% ...

6. I then saved that to a _s.dds, and then saved same image to _s.tga

Hope that cleared up the insanity a bit ....
Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDawg View Post
LOL ... yes you are ... LOL

1. I used the final "citabria aerobatic pro.dds" for the version of the "Pro" that Andy released - (I did the CS and Physics for it).

2. I opened the dds into my paint shop pro program.

3. I converted the "colored" CS into grayscale ....

4. I converted the grayscale to a negitive of that image ...

5. I then lightened the opacity to 20% ...

6. I then saved that to a _s.dds, and then saved same image to _s.tga

Hope that cleared up the insanity a bit ....
uh.. That's what I was talking about, you took the DDS file that RealFlight created when you imported the plane and then did all the stuff to that file.

Andy gave you a RFX with a TGA file in it didn't he? Then you imported that RFX and grabbed the DDS file from the planes directory? Right!
Old 03-08-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
uh.. That's what I was talking about, you took the DDS file that RealFlight created when you imported the plane and then did all the stuff to that file.

Andy gave you a RFX with a TGA file in it didn't he? Then you imported that RFX and grabbed the DDS file from the planes directory? Right!
almost ... His CS was mostly "primer red", with wheels and a Wireframe and a tga outline ... (you can see basically what I had in the template I posted)
I did all of "painting" before I packaged it all up, and sent the EA to Andy to check out, aprove, and then post ...

PS. this is not to diminish the amount of work Andy did in the modeling department. My part was small, in comparison.

Last edited by DDawg; 03-08-2018 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:21 PM

asj5547

Please give this beta a try in RF-X I removed the ALPHA layer in the Spec Map and tried it in RF-X.. it does seem to have quite a bit more gloss than the normal one, if this works I can create a special build for RF-X without an Alpha Layer in the Spec Map. So give the Yak a good look before you try this and once you import this version let me know if there's more gloss to you too.

This beta is for testing in RF-X it doesn't have an alpha layer and is VERY MIRROR looking in RF-8.
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Yak 55m_EA.RFX (1.19 MB, 5 views)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
asj5547

Please give this beta a try in RF-X I removed the ALPHA layer in the Spec Map and tried it in RF-X.. it does seem to have quite a bit more gloss than the normal one, if this works I can create a special build for RF-X without an Alpha Layer in the Spec Map. So give the Yak a good look before you try this and once you import this version let me know if there's more gloss to you too.

This beta is for testing in RF-X it doesn't have an alpha layer and is VERY MIRROR looking in RF-8.
Installed your beta, virtually no difference in shine.
I also tried removing the alpha in the specs file of DDawg's Big Red, this again resulted in no improved shine.
Here are 2 screenshots, one is what the RF-X Vehicle Editor displays, and the other is what RF-X displays. Notice editor shows very shiny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RFVehicleEditor 2018-03-09 07-40-33-95.jpg (99.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg RF-X_x64 2018-03-09 07-27-48-53.jpg (323.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Installed your beta, virtually no difference in shine.
I also tried removing the alpha in the specs file of DDawg's Big Red, this again resulted in no improved shine.
Here are 2 screenshots, one is what the RF-X Vehicle Editor displays, and the other is what RF-X displays. Notice editor shows very shiny.
Thanks I guess it was wishful thinking on my part. I forgot to look at the Yak in RF-X before I imported the special beta I made.

The reason the RF-X editor has a shiny image is KnifeEdge modified the RF 7.5 editor to create a converter for converting swap page content and user created content to the RF-X format. The rendering engine used by the RF-X editor is the RF 7.5 rendering engine, they mentioned that in the beginning. So what you see in the RF-X editor is RF 7.5 you don't see what RF-X looks like until you open the plane in RF-X.

Here's the reason I thought it might work if you want to do an experiment.

1. Import any of the NORMAL betas I did for the Yak or Big Red Mk II
in RF 7.5 and look at them in the RF editor.

2. Shut down RF 7.5 or you can also just load another plane.

3. Open the SPEC MAP file in the planes directory and REMOVE the
ALPHA LAYER and save it.

4. Load the Yak or Big Red Mk II you modified the SPEC MAP file for and look
at it in the RF editor. (make sure it says creating the DDS file)

You'll see the plane now has a very mirror looking finish, that's because RF must default to the highest GLOSS value went there's no ALPHA layer to define it.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:42 PM

I went back and did some checking and it seems there is a small difference when I remove the Spec Map Alpha Layer. Here' two pictures from RF-X With and Without the alpha layer. The First picture is WITH the second picture is WITHOUT. A small but noticeable change if you know what to expect. I think that's right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alpha Layer ON.jpg (207.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Alpha Layer OFF.jpg (205.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-09-2018, 01:09 PM

But what happens with the Omega layer ? hehe
Old 03-09-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I went back and did some checking and it seems there is a small difference when I remove the Spec Map Alpha Layer. Here' two pictures from RF-X With and Without the alpha layer. The First picture is WITH the second picture is WITHOUT. A small but noticeable change if you know what to expect. I think that's right.
I see the small difference, you have to look real close as the plane is ground taxiing but when in flight the gloss effect is more apparent, lots of reflection as the plane maneuvers and sunlight catches it.
Let's hope RF-X improves the lack of lustre on imported aircraft in the future, it is not a deal breaker at the moment, the amount of time ground handling compared to flying is minimal.
Stock aircraft get the appropriate amount of gloss, therefore our designers should be privileged to display there hard work with the same quality of finish.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I see the small difference, you have to look real close as the plane is ground taxiing but when in flight the gloss effect is more apparent, lots of reflection as the plane maneuvers and sunlight catches it.
Let's hope RF-X improves the lack of lustre on imported aircraft in the future, it is not a deal breaker at the moment, the amount of time ground handling compared to flying is minimal.
Stock aircraft get the appropriate amount of gloss, therefore our designers should be privileged to display there hard work with the same quality of finish.
Yes I agree and with a little help from them I'm sure the planes being uploaded to RF-8 that is RF-X ready would look better. Or create an RF-X swap page so we can upload specific versions for RF-X.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: