Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 03-09-2019, 01:01 PM

Question Did I make a MISTAKE??

Hi All,
I have been using Phoenix 5 until I couldn't find the DVD to reinstall and was unable to get a new one, SO, I got RF 7.5 with the Interlink used for a good price and it has been awesome. I Use it on and off BUT now I want to get SERIOUS in learning to fly my Helis.
I saw an ad for RF-X saying it was the BEST SIM EVER and found a NEW software only copy on fleabay for 50 bucks and ordered it, but after reading some of the comments here i'm wondering if I made a mistake

Thoughts?

Kelly in San Antonio
Old 03-09-2019, 03:46 PM

RF-X isn't a bad simulator, it just needs some pretty hefty system requirements for it to run properly. This isn't a issue with what now is considered a moderate gaming PC, but it's not going to work on a low budget PC or a inexpensive laptop. With the 1.5 beta download which is available it's actually a pretty good sim. There are a few videos several people have made with it showing what it looks like and it's one of the best looking sims out there if you have the hardware to run it.

The main problem is that currently we don't know what the future has in store for RF-X. The publisher has changed hands so we just don't know if RF-X has a future.

Last edited by csgill75; 03-09-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:11 AM

I'm using a AMD Ryzen 5 2600, MSI X470 gaming mb, 32 gigs ram, GTX 1060ti 4gig ram. I think it might be able to handle it.

Thanks for the reply
Kelly in San Antonio
Old 03-11-2019, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSalty View Post
I'm using a AMD Ryzen 5 2600, MSI X470 gaming mb, 32 gigs ram, GTX 1060ti 4gig ram. I think it might be able to handle it.

Thanks for the reply
Kelly in San Antonio
What resolution do you want to run RF-X at? It's very graphics demanding. The 1060ti will work at 1080P but not at super fast frame rates. I run an MSI GTX 1080 at 1920x1200 and it works fine but I didn't like the GTX 1070 I had before it was a bit too slow for me. But I like high frame rates.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Hi All,
I have been using Phoenix 5 until I couldn't find the DVD to reinstall and was unable to get a new one, SO, I got RF 7.5 with the Interlink used for a good price and it has been awesome. I Use it on and off BUT now I want to get SERIOUS in learning to fly my Helis.
I saw an ad for RF-X saying it was the BEST SIM EVER and found a NEW software only copy on fleabay for 50 bucks and ordered it, but after reading some of the comments here i'm wondering if I made a mistake

Thoughts?

Kelly in San Antonio
I started using RF-X with an AMD Ryzen 5-1500x, 8Gbs ram and a GTX 1050ti, yes I liked graphics and the flight physics of airplanes, but helicopters seemed to lag behind control input (made them difficult to fly), since then I have upgraded to an I7-8700, 16 Gbs ram and a RTX 2080, now helicopters fly great.

Your CPU and RAM should be sufficient but you may need to upgrade your GPU if you want to primarily fly helicopters.

As csgill75 pointed out , we do not know the future of RF-X.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:52 PM

Got RF X today and installed it. Agree, Helis are MUCH better in RF 7.5 and there NO training for hovering like in 7.5, also think the graphics are better in 7.5 but that's just my opinion. Actually SORRY i got it. but then it was only 50 bucks.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Got RF X today and installed it. Agree, Helis are MUCH better in RF 7.5 and there NO training for hovering like in 7.5, also think the graphics are better in 7.5 but that's just my opinion. Actually SORRY i got it. but then it was only 50 bucks.
Your hardware, specifically the GPU is not up to running RF-X at a decent resolution or high quality settings. It's better with the 1.5 beta update you can download. With the proper hardware RF-X blows RF8 away in graphics fidelity but the requirements are pretty high.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Your hardware, specifically the GPU is not up to running RF-X at a decent resolution or high quality settings. When you fly helicopters you need a high framerate for them to fly correctly. A 1080 or better gpu is really what you need. It's better with the 1.5 beta update you can download. With the proper hardware RF-X blows RF8 away in graphics fidelity but the requirements are pretty high.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Your hardware, specifically the GPU is not up to running RF-X at a decent resolution or high quality settings. When you fly helicopters you need a high framerate for them to fly correctly. A 1080 or better gpu is really what you need. It's better with the 1.5 beta update you can download. With the proper hardware RF-X blows RF8 away in graphics fidelity but the requirements are pretty high.
Wish I bought mine for $50 bucks but on the right hardware it looks awesome.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: