Go Back   Knife Edge > Inactive forums > RealFlight Swap Pages > RealFlight G3 > Aircraft
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2006, 10:42 PM

Very cool heli!!!! Thank you very much
Old 06-05-2006, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
No, I have never flown a real r/c heli. Only the ones in G2 and G3 and not all of them either. I have gone from total crash retard to being able to lift off, hover, fly around, and land. Not always pretty, but I can do it. The new BT just acts different than any other heli I have tried in the sim. I downloaded it like all the other G3X files.

Sounds like it's all just me.
No it's not all you... but I'll direct this to L0stS0ul since he started me down this road...

L0stS0ul:

You are correct... to a degree.

I tried first increasing the pitch angle of the tail blades to no avail.

Then I tried increasing the speed by adjusting the gearing ratio.

This produced some improvement.

What made the biggest change was to change the airfoild AND the gear ratio of the tail.

The modeled tail blades are simply not generating enough thrust.

The NACA 24's produce more airfoil lift if you select them, and then set the ratio to 12 or 13.

This goes a long way to eliminate the startup spin that Nemo was having so many problems with as the tail now produces more thrust.

However I cannot (yet) figure out why the tail is "locked" into 15 degree maximum movements at speed.

It's almost as if the heli hits an imaginary stop and will not or cannot turn beyond it, no matter what.

This can't be due to the tail wing or tail itself as if it were the tail it should be a bit more linear and speed dependant.

I'll take any ideas or suggestions from those aerodynamically inclined...
Old 06-06-2006, 01:36 AM

Alright, I never knew about 3D heli flying and the controls. I had flown some heli's in the sim and am positive the left shoulder toggle (3-way) was used for idle up, etc.

Anyway, I tried the controls of the Blue Thunder as you described them. Throttle stick centered, right shoulder switch as idle up.

Well, it works like it is supposed to. I was able to fly around, had decent tail rotor authority, and could cut the idle switch and autorotate to a landing. Here is a recording, on one of those German photofields.

Edit: Mammendorf

Like I said, it was all me.
Attached Files
File Type: recording Kmot_Blue Thunder.recording (378.7 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Kmot; 06-06-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:36 AM

This is also a beautiful ship to fly in chase mode so you can check it out up close while flying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1149574457.jpg (207.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1149574537.jpg (196.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1149574597.jpg (209.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1149574633.jpg (126.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-06-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Alright, I never knew about 3D heli flying and the controls. I had flown some heli's in the sim and am positive the left shoulder toggle (3-way) was used for idle up, etc.
Yes the left switch is a normal Idle-Up in this heli.

Down position produces "No to govenor lock low engine revs" and changes the blade pitch from approximately 0 through the maximum.

Middle position locks the engine into the medium RPM setting, the throttle ONLY controls the blade pitch. Blade pitch goes from full negative to full positive as you move the throttle.

Up position locks the eingine into high RPM setting, the throttle only controls the blade pitch. Blade pitch goes from full negative to full positive as you move the throttle.

That's how it is supposed to work for most helis as well.

Quote:

Anyway, I tried the controls of the Blue Thunder as you described them. Throttle stick centered, right shoulder switch as idle up.
Right shoulder is "idle cut"...

When you flip the right switch up, the engine drops to idle speed, so you can practice autorotations.

Quote:

Well, it works like it is supposed to. I was able to fly around, had decent tail rotor authority, and could cut the idle switch and autorotate to a landing. Here is a recording, on one of those German photofields.

Like I said, it was all me.
Maybe you didn't understand how idle up works, but there is still a problem with the tail rotor "authority" at speed.

It still seems too "locked in". At speed the tail rotates and stops abruptly as if it has hit a magical "stop".

It should not be this way....

I'm still trying to fix this while lowering the blade weight a bit...
Old 06-07-2006, 02:37 AM

I have been trying alot to land on the roof of the control tower at the Flight School field. Haven't made it yet, but I got close!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1149642910.jpg (234.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1149642924.jpg (156.4 KB, 21 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: