Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 01-25-2004, 06:13 PM

Final word, hobiewan

Never got it back to quite what it was. I had good graphics, but the frame rates were really poor. No matter what I backed off, I couldn't get above 30 against the sky, and it was as low as 6 near certain objects on the ground, with jumpy video and freeze frames. It even did this on a flat field with nothing on it. I thought I would have to live with it, but realized that it started suddenly, and nothing that I had done had caused it. I finally decided to go to 'system restore' and find an earlier date prior to the problem. It was an update from Microsoft that was installed about the time this all started. I chose a date just prior to that, and when it re-booted, the first thing I had was a balloon from MS in the task bar for that update. I unchecked it, choosing NOT to install it, and started G2. I've battled this problem for over a week, and now, effortlessly, and INSTANTLY, it's over.
I have beautiful graphics, and my great frame rates are back !!!
Thanks again for sticking with me through this.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:16 PM

You know, these machines can make a person go a little nuts.
Glad you finally pinned it down. I've been having some quirky things going on with my setup.
I've figured them out but sometimes the devil is in the details as they say.
C-ya.
BTW, could you post what that update was if you remember?
hobiewan
Old 01-26-2004, 12:37 PM

Update

Hoo boy, don't remember, other than it was like all the other updates for XP....security. Something about allowing a hacker into an MS based system. I have a firewall. I should have taken a friend's advise, "Turn off the updates, they're nothing but trouble."
What I've noticed now, is everytime I boot this computer I get a little window that tells me NvQTwk can not be found. I looked it up, and it is a dll file for Nvidia to 'tweek' output to the tv. (DVD in comp out to TV) I don't need it, but now I get that on every boot. Maybe I should run Roxio GoBack to undo this problem caused by System Restore.
...and on and on it goes.....
Old 01-26-2004, 01:43 PM

Square ONE

I just closed out G2. I was really enjoying having my frame rates back to where they were, when during a take off the plane passed close to me and something didn't look right. I put it on the ground, and zooming in, had the same problem with the closeups. Jagged pixalated lines. It's a good thing I have a healthy head of hair, or I would have pulled it out by now. I'm about to run GoBack about 2 weeks back, and if that doesn't work I'll also run System Restore a couple of weeks back. I just finished getting any new files on CD, so whatever dissappears can be restored later.
Here we go again.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:04 PM

Over....again

I guess I had cleared the GoBack memory when I got things working the last time around, since I only had a maximum of 4 days to back up. I did System Restore back to Dec. 29 since that cleared another MS update, and a download of DirectX 9.0.
Everything on G2 was now fine. Still had the Rundll window with the tweek file showing up, so I downloaded another driver from Nvidia's archives. (45.23) The window no longer shows up when booting.
Back to G2, frame rates in half. Reset my resolution to 16 bit, got my high frame rates back, and all is well with no noticable loss in graphics.
Having gone back to a previous date, I got the MS update balloon again. That file is KB832483, when you look under 'details'. It also tells you that, "once installed, it can not be removed". (GoBack removes it, but System Restore will not.)
I'm not sure if it caused it, but for now, everything is as it should be.
I'm starting to wonder if this is the longest 2 person thread in G2 history.
You might want to check back here in 3 or 4 years, just to make sure it's still okay.
Thanks again for hanging in there. Hopefully the problem doesn't start again tommorrow.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:12 PM

Degraded What were we talking about?

Chopper. I really really feel your pain. I'm not kidding.
I'm suprised that nobody else has even offered a sniff of a hint here.
Man, I hate my 'puter sometimes.
I've read your other posts and I can't see any real boo-boos.
Come on boys and girls, help a brother out here.
I can't give you any more guidance cause you have something quirky goin' on.
yikes.
hobiewan
heading for his little kevlar hut
Old 01-26-2004, 08:17 PM

degraded graphic

Chopper, I understand the frustration you're going through.
I've fought my P.O.S. for a couple of weeks myself.
I just got done flying some G2 tonight and thought I'd see what was going on.
If anybody else out there has a clue about this ongoing saga, jump in.
BTW, Chopper, I think you might be right about this being the longest two party thread in RF history
hobiewan,
going to put it in the barn
Old 01-26-2004, 08:20 PM

Chopper,
I had problems posting.
Read the two post I've got in today's stuff.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:45 PM

I responded.
Somehow, didn't post here.
Sorry about all your troubles.
hobiewan
Old 01-27-2004, 02:52 PM

Posting

Couldn't find your posts in our ongoing saga, so I clicked on 'last post' all the way to the right and found them. (4) Maybe we filled up the filing cabinet.
My highest frame rate is 40. That's okay, since I can't detect any flickering or freezing unless I fly past an area with a lot of detail. Then the frame rate drops to 12. Yesterday I backed up all my custom paint jobs, airports and plane and heli setups on CD. If anything goes wrong again, or if I decide I don't want to deal with trying to figure it out anymore, I'll do a total hard drive format and system restore, and reinstall G2. If I start from scratch, everything will be as it was when it was new.
I have 3 computers here, and this one is primarily dedicated to G2 and Adobe Photoshop, and only goes on line for this forum and the swap page.
This is an HP, running XP Home, 1.5 GHz, 256 MB ram, 32 Mb video. MORE than enough to run G2 at it's highest quality. It ran flawlessly until just about a week ago, and now I'm doing trade-offs just to make it run reasonably well.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:26 PM

I don't know if this will show up here, you might have to click on "last post" link on the right column to get past posts.
I might not get back here for a day or 2, I've just checked through the computer, and I'm about to format the hard drive and start over.
Personal Confusers...you either love 'em or hate 'em.
I'm about to end this week long nightmare.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:02 PM

and on and on

Chopper,
I'm really suprised that nobody else has offered some different approach to your problem.

Also, I didn't realize we had reached the 2'nd page level. Wow. That's why I couldn't find my posts

As far as sys. specs., I'm running a 1.8g Pentium and I have 1g of RDRAM. I have a Ti4200 vid. card with 128m using 4XAGP. All of my settings for G2 are maxed and using FRAPS I will get a minimum of 30 fps no matter if I have smoke on or not(aircraft) . I use a utility called MemMax to get the most out of my RAM. I (knock on wood) have had nothing but stellar performance with my setup.

All that said and done, I have had the computer do things that make me CRAZY sometimes. Sometimes things just happen, I don't know why.

I'm going back to the cellar now.

Wish you get a fix sometime soon.

hobiewan, out of ideas.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: