Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 04-25-2003, 03:19 PM

GeForce cards continued

Ryan,
The only problem I've seen with the G3 Ti200 is that no one has any, and I've been told they are discontinued and may be very hard to find.
Here's a question, what about one of the new GeForce FX5200 128mb cards, I have been told that they will be fine with my system, would that be a good card to use (perhaps better than the MX-440 as well)?

Choppers Rock! --Heli Junkie
Old 04-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Administrator

If you're willing to order online, I know the GeForce3 Ti200 is still available. I haven't really looked at the card you mentioned, so I can't comment on it. I suggest you do some searching online and read some reviews.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2003, 05:46 PM

Ti4200

Ryan,
Thanks for the reply, I took some of your earlier advice and did a little research and I ended up with a GeForce4 Ti4200 AGP8X 128mb card with digital video capability and dual monitor support. I found out that you were right on the fact that the "Titanium" cards are some of the best one's going right now. They were the ones everyone was recommending I get. I also know for a fact that this card will support DirectX 8.x and beyond so there should be no problems, hopefully. Do you think that was a decent choice?I'm looking forward to using the RealFlight software for sure!

Old 04-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Administrator

I doubt you'll be unhappy with it.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:45 PM

Ti4200

Now THAT'S what I want to hear!!
Thanks very much for your help and advice, I appreciate it.

Old 05-02-2003, 01:07 PM

Some suggestions

1. I had a P-III 450 system with 3dfx Voodoo3 graphic card which ran RFG2 with no problem at 800x600 resolution. It must be said though, it would suffer some degradation of speed when trying to turn every graphic feature on.
2. I now have a AthlonXP 2200+ system with GF4 TI4600 card which runs RFG2 with no problems either at 1024x768 WITH every graphic feature turned on. However, it cannot be stressed enough that you MUST have the latest drivers and RFG2 installed.
3. The MX card would probably suffice, in case you're not hoping to prolong its use for long (like Ryan said), in which case I would recommend one of these choices: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro - the current king of video cards at about $350; GeForceFX 5800/5600/5200 - second best; GeForce4 TI 4600/4400/4200 - best value for money IMHO.
4. In any case, make sure your motherboard supports the version of AGP standard your new card operates with. Old motherboards like yours usually support AGPx1 or AGPx2. If your new card is AGPx4 or even AGPx8, your mobo will hold its performance or even not work with it. My mobo was AGPx1 compliant and I was told by my GF4 TI 4600 (AGPx4) manufacturer they will not operate together due to DIFFERENCES IN VOLTAGE. I didn't even try inserting the new card into the old mobo for fear of damage.

Hope this helps.

Real life? Never heard of it!
Is it worth the download?
Old 05-02-2003, 06:34 PM

advice

Bentz,
Thanks for the advice. I have an older AMD K6-2 400mhz tower that I've been thinking of "gutting" and putting in a more "late model" Mobo (somthing in a Pentium 4 hopfully) my HD, Floppy, CDRW and DVD drives are all good so I can carry them over. I'm getting a little discouraged that I'm having to basically build a system around RF-G2, I sure hope this sim is worth it. Keep the advice and personal experiences coming, I appreciate it.
Take care.

Old 05-03-2003, 04:17 AM

There never has been a need to build a system around RF. I've run various versions of RF on 5 different computers that I built out of stuff I basically had left over after upgrading my office computers and have never had much touble running RF. If you have your drivers loaded properly and stay away from a certain vid. card you won't have any trouble.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:43 AM

stay away from a certain vid card

Which card was that exactly?
Well unfortunately for me, I will have a do a little upgrading before I can run RF because the systems that I have, either don't support it or won't run it and lock up. But I suppose it's par-for the course that I should upgrade my 'antique' equipment after all these years.

Old 05-08-2003, 08:26 AM
lesnagy

PC hardware comparison site

FYI

This is a great site to compare and get real performance specs and ratings on all PC hardware. Its up to date on the latest and greatest stuff.

http://www.hothardware.com/
Old 05-08-2003, 02:32 PM

Hardware site

Thanks for the link, I'll definately check it out for sure, thats the type of site I need.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: