Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 07-14-2002, 09:27 PM
SatelliteHead

Gee Bee Z 40 size

could someone point me in the right direction for making the SpaceWalker fly like the Koyosho Gee Bee Z. Im having a hard time getting the paramaters setup correctly.

thanks
Old 07-15-2002, 11:14 AM

Gee Bee Model Z

Hi,I think first of all, you will have to take some very carefull measurements.I have put in all the dimensions for my Gee Bee R2 (quarter scale)into the AT6 Texan,and everything seems to be fine. But that was built from scratch from a plan, so it is quite easy to take the sizes. Unfortunately the Kyosho Gee Bee Z(by the way ,I would love to get my hands on one of these, except that they are not available in Spain or England at the moment) is an ARTF, and as such does not have a full size plan.Because of the unusual shape of the Gee Bee, any slight deviation from the correct measurements, would probably effect the flying characteristics in RF quite alot, Anyway hope this info helps.

Regards Keith (Spain)
I flew a Gee Bee R2 and IT survived
Old 08-21-2002, 02:53 PM

Gee Bee R1

Keith, I posted a while back about building a 1/4 scale R1 in another post here at KE. Well I'm getting close and a little scared about flying my work of art before I fly a few hrs in G2.Could you please email me your G2 model of your Gee Bee, may help me keep all my balsa sticks in the form of an airplane. Thanks Lee Underwood//RUnder1680@aol.com
Old 08-22-2002, 05:37 AM

LeeU, before you try to fly that thing you better put some wings and tail feathers on it.

I fly Ultra Stick 40, Fut. 9C and can do rolling circles now. Thanks RFG2.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:15 AM

Flying the Gee Bee R2

Now then, LeeU, I don't want you to be put off by these negative comments about flying your Gee Bee. Mine weighs about 26lbs.and it is amazing how quickly it takes off, but as I have said earlier, it is very important to be aware of the wind direction.Oh, and by the way I will send you an e-mail with the details of mine and possibly a short video.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:37 PM

Thinks for the encouragement,and for the harasment as well. LeeU
Old 08-22-2002, 08:12 PM

When I was a kid in the 60's my best friend's father was a pilot.

He told us about flying one of them once. said that if flew great as long as you didn't slow down or try to turn suddenly. His friend died later in the same plane as I remember the story.

I once went through a brief infatuation with the plane but finally realized that it had no wings and no stab or rudder to speak of and could not possibly fly. Similar to the bumble bee...

Old 08-22-2002, 11:50 PM

Gee Bee R2

Surely the fact that Delmar Benjamin has Been flying the Gee Bee R2 for the past 10 years with spectacular success is proof enough that the plane actually does fly, and the full size has a much less forgiving airfoil section than any of the model variants I have come across.
Keith (Mallorca,Spain)I flew a Gee Bee R2 and IT survived!!!
Old 08-23-2002, 05:53 AM

But it should look like it will fly...
The fact that it does fly is just usless fact...
(I hope youall know that this is said good naturedly. I really think its a kinka nice plane.)

Old 08-23-2002, 11:12 AM

Gee Bee R2

Sorry for getting on my soap box guys, but when the subject of this airplane gets brought up, I do tend to go a bit overboard. And the fact that Knifeedge are still not putting the Gee Bee on an add-on c.d. is getting me a little frustrated, Taking into account that the full size has now been retired, I would have thought that one of the most famous (or imfamous)aircraft in history should have a place on a c.d. for everybody to try.If flight sim 2002 can have one, so can RF!!!!!
Keith
Old 08-23-2002, 03:59 PM

GeeBee Z40 size

For some information on the GeeBee, go to GeeBee.com./history/
I just read Delbert's description of flying the full scale aircraft and it appears that stalling the aircraft on landing is a very serious concern(like it want's to roll over and die). It does appear though that the fuel tank is located around the aircraft's CG and as it burns off fuel it actually will become more stable, as the CG is moved foward.
What I'm curious about is "scale effect" and are the wings on the models enlarged slightly to compensate?
Good luck with your endeavors. As far as Realflight modeling this aircraft, how many other classics are out there waiting to be emulated in software? Microsoft is a billion dollar a year corp. I'm sure Realflight hasn't quite reached that level yet, but I think they do pretty darn well!!
Nuff of this stuff.
C-Ya!
Old 08-23-2002, 04:56 PM

MS might be a billion a year corp. but they probably only spend 25 or 30 mill. on FS.

Old 08-24-2002, 12:40 AM

Gee Bee R2

I have built the quarter scale version from the Wendell Hosteler plan, and as you suspected the wing span has been slightly enlarged,(remember that on the full size, the fuselage had more side area than the wing!!!) but I think the important aspect of the model design is the airfoil shape which gives the wing a bit more lift and also allows it to be landed a little slower, plus there is washout built in to it as well.When I landed mine for the first time,it dropped a wing quite mildly, but luckily it was only a couple of feet above the runway, so no harm done.(except for a scratched wing tip)
Old 08-24-2002, 01:50 PM

Gee Bee

Just for info, the Wendell Hosteler 1/4 scale plan's are based on the Baron model, his 33% (Wendell Hosteler) Gee Bee is based off of actual drawings of the R1/R2 with only tail area mod's. LeeU
Old 08-24-2002, 03:53 PM

GeeBee

For all you folks out there flying or getting ready to fly a model of the R2, film it.From what I can tell, this model will be a challenge to fly on a regular basis,and, not have any oh-s**t sessions.
Good luck to all of you. Check back in and keep us posted on your experiences.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: