Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G2
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 04-19-2003, 01:09 PM

Realflight G2 loading problem

I installed Realflight G2 on my PC and the install went off without any problems, however whenever I start the program and it starts going through it's initializing steps such as "Loading Landscape:", etc... it comes to the "Loading Airport Group: Level 2 Trees" and then stops loading. The music continues to play and my mouse remains moveable however I cannot select anything and the keyboard is completely inactivated so I cannot Ctrl-Alt-Del or anything. I am forced to shut my computer off to restart. This happens every time I run the program, always stopping at the very same place. Can anyone help, I would so much love to use this sim.

Choppers Rock! --Heli Junkie
Old 04-19-2003, 07:49 PM

You probably should reinstall and before you try to run, go the the update website and update the program. I don't know the specifics of your system but alot of the problems running on xp, 2000 etc are solved by running the updated versions. Your vid drivers must be uupdated and installed properly also. Give us your specifics if you still have problems...
Old 04-20-2003, 07:02 AM

Realflight G2 Loading Problem

Thanks for your reply, sorry, I completely forgot to mention the specifics of my system. I am running Win98 second edition, AMD-K6 450 processor, 128 of system RAM, ATI video card with 8mb of RAM. Although they are the minimum requirements (as per the software package) It seems that it would be enough to run the program but perhaps it just needs more video card RAM, who knows. Thanks for your tips and input, I do appreciate it.

Old 04-20-2003, 10:58 AM

That ATI card might be the problem. There have been lots of problems with ATI drivers. A geforce card might be a good idea if you upgrade it.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:17 AM

GeForce card

You may be right. By the way who makes the GeForce vid card and which is their best one, any recommendations? I want the "biggest and baddest" one I can get, with the most on-board RAM I suppose. Thanks for the tip.

--Heli

Old 04-21-2003, 02:42 PM

Nvidia makes the GeForce cards. If you want to get the baddest they have available, get the GeForce FX. It's their newest card. Granted, it's anywhere between $400-430, but it's their latest and greatest.

Save yourself some money and get a GeForce 4 Ti4600. That card has 128 MB DDR RAM on it, and will run RealFlight with every option available turned on. Be warned, that you have to update to the latest version of RF or you will get a grey screen when RF loads (something with the Nvidia chipset). Once you update RF, it runs fine.

And make sure you're not running Windows 98. I still can't get RF to work on 98, and can't seem to get anyone to answer my question (even though my topic now has over 190 views to it).

Anyway, the 4600 runs around $220 from a good Internet retailer. I have the GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/ 128 MB RAM, and it runs RF just fine. But if you want the best that they offer and don't want to spend $400, get the 4600.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-21-2003, 06:43 PM

Ti4600

Hey thanks for the info, I will look into that for sure. Unfortunately I will most likely have to get a new PC before I can run RF, as this one runs Win98 and probably wouldn't support much over that (i.e. Win Me or XP). What a bummer, I'll have to start shopping soon I guess. Thanks again for the advice. Food for thought.

Old 04-22-2003, 02:40 PM

I didn't have any trouble getting it to run on 5 diffenent win 98 computers that were basically just tossed together out of stuff I had left over from the office upgrades. But you do have to have all -ALL - of your drivers installed properly and in the right order. You might try moving the cards in your computer to other slots if possible. It is not supposed to make a difference but it often does matter what slot the card is in...
Old 04-24-2003, 12:51 PM

nVidia cards

Hey what about the GeForce4 MX-440se video card, It's 64mb DDR...The optimum performance specs on RF only say 16mb or higher. I didn't want to pay the extra $$ for the Ti4200 w/8X AGP because it said on the box that you should have minimum 600mhz CPU. Mine's a 550. Also I can get a sweet deal on the MX-440se. What do you think?

Old 04-24-2003, 04:05 PM

I've had very good luck with that line of cards.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:14 PM
Administrator

helijunkie, the problem with the GeForce 4 MX cards is that they are a very different beast from the Titanium cards (e.g., Ti4200, etc.), but without reading more in-depth explanations of the cards' features, you wouldn't necessarily know it. Now, that's not to say that a GeForce 4 MX card could never be the right move for you, but there are some things to consider.

The big thing I personally think you should be aware of is that the MX series cards don't have full support for DirectX 8. To be more precise, they support a subset of the DirectX 8 features. The features they do support, they support 100%, but there will be certain special capabilities they simply don't have. It's up to you to decide whether or not this is important to you.

One thing you might consider is how long you expect to keep the same video card. If you plan on upgrading your entire system (including your video card) in, oh, say a year or so, then buying a GeForce 4 MX card in the interim and saving some $$$ might be a good way to go. If you want to be able to keep up with the latest and greatest programs coming out, though, which will make increasing use of DirectX 8 graphics features and tricks, it might be worth it to pay more and get one of the Titanium cards. (As an alternative, you might consider buying a GeForce 3 Titanium.)

At any rate, there are many articles available throughout the web which will give you more details than I'm able to go into here, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of this important difference between the two lines of GeForce 4 cards. You're correct that the amount of RAM on the MX cards is good, but there is a reason they are so much cheaper than the Titanium cards. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you. (I hope I didn't come off too negatively toward the MX cards--again, I'm not trying to suggest that you definitely shouldn't buy one. Just buy one, if you do, while in possession of all the facts.)

I hope this helps.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:18 AM

nVidia card

That's great to know, thanks dude! I can't wait to finally play around with this sim.

Old 04-25-2003, 07:29 AM

concerns with nVidia MX card

Ryan,
Thanks very much for your input and reply, one thing I noticed on this card is that this is a newer released MX440 dubbed a "second edition" and the box says that it supports DirectX 8.1. The concern I had with getting a Titanium card (the one I really wanted) was that the 4200 AGP8X had a minimum processor requirement of 600mhz, the 4400 was no longer produced (I was told), and the 4600 is awesome but a little pricey for this older system. I have a P3 550mhz, and I didn't want to risk further problems. My system is about 3 years old. Do you have a recommendation of a Ti card that would work with my system, I'd really appreciate it. I can always take this card back, I haven't opened it yet.

Old 04-25-2003, 07:33 AM

Ti4200

Ryan,

If I could be assured that the Ti4200 would work in my system, despite the minimum CPU requirement, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Only other thing is: would I need to buy the one WITH or WITHOUT AGP 8X? I don't know if my system supports AGP 8X or not, how can I tell?

Old 04-25-2003, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Before going on, I need to add a disclaimer here: I'm doing some of this from memory, and although I think I've got all the facts right, you should probably do some checking of your own before basing a purchasing decision entirely on what I say.

Having said that, I think my answer remains pretty much the same for DirectX support by the Geforce4 MX cards. The DirectX functionality that it supports, it supports 100% (that is, it doesn't try to do the same thing DirectX requires but do it in a different way). But it's missing certain features, such as pixel shaders, which you might really miss when current and future products are designed to take advantage of them.

As far as the minimum processor speed requirement, I'm not sure that that's a written-in-stone number. I think it has more to do with the benefit processors of different speeds will gain from the card. At lower proc. speeds, the overhead of running the card may not really justify having it, at which point the processor is the bottleneck, not the video card. But I don't think that means the card will just plain not run (showing only a black screen or something). Maybe somebody else can back me up on this, I must confess it's something I haven't investigated.

As far as AGP support, you'll probably need to either consult your motherboard's documentation or look it up online.

Given your computer's specs & age, if I were to personally recommend a card it would probably be the GeForce3 Ti200 or Ti500. Those are very solid cards, with performance closer to the Ti4x00 level than to the MX cards, and they're an extremely good value nowadays (especially if you shop around for the best price). Definitely the "bang-for-the-buck" winner!

I really hope all of this is helpful. I want to point out that I'm making these suggestions based on my own personal experiences & knowledge, not as an official Knife Edge recommendation; who knows, somebody else here might disagree with me. So please take that into consideration.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: