Go Back   Knife Edge > Coming Soon > Acro FS
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Thanks for that. Are you going to try the early access? I think I'll wait until I see some reviews. It's still not clear to me if this is going to be worthwhile or not, for me anyway.
Of course I'm going to try it. It doesn't cost anything to try it.. I doubt that I will spend much in the way of content on it since I do not fly real aircraft.. But I will definitely give it a go.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:20 PM

I might try it out. I have FS-X and X-plane plus some fancy controllers and pedals to simulate real cockpit ones. I'd need to make a Steam account first.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:25 AM

Ya, I’m sure we will all try this eventually. Let’s promise to keep us all in the loop. Thanks
Old 05-23-2018, 01:18 PM

I'm installing it now. It's at 27%.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Well the install finished and I flew it for a while but since I'm not a real pilot having nothing to look at left me wanting more. I will say if there were places like the Island in the RF-X beta I'd be interested in flying around exploring the Island. Of course that's not the point of Acro FS but in the end I think you'll find a lot more people that want to use it to fly around and explore than aerobatic pilots that want to practice. Just my 2 cents.

At 1920x1200 with everything turned all the way up I'm getting right around 120 fps all the time, give or take, so frame rate is fine. That's definitely better than I get in RF-X or the Beta. I do get higher frame rates in the RF-X beta but not nearly as good as I get in Acro FS.

System Specs

32GB RAM
512k NVMe SSD
GeForce 1070
1900x1200 Dell IPS Monitor

Last edited by technoid; 05-24-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:50 PM

Works surprisingly very well for an early access game. Both VR and non-VR work well on my Alienware 17r4 with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6ghz, 32gb ram, 250gb ssd, gtx1060 w/6gb ram. I'm running Windows Mixed Reality with a Dell headset/controllers. I'm using a Realflight interlink elite controller and this works great.

Getting it to start in VR seems a bit finicky. I seem to need to use my WMR controller in the Steam room to select the game. Then select 'Run in VR'. After it starts up my interlink controller fly's the plane and I need to use my keyboard/mouse to selct options from the main menu.

Overall I am having a blast racing around the track in the obstacle course from the cockpit view. It's not easy, but I would not have it any other way! Good work KE guys and thanks for the early/free access.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:05 PM

Hmmmm .. from what technoid has mentioned then my PC isn't good enough to run this. Oh well.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:22 PM

See the minimum non-VR specs;

Minimum:
Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: Intel i3 or equivalent
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 11 Mid-Range Video Card with 2 GB of video memory
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 4 GB available space

So if you only have integrated graphic on an old laptop, it probably will not work very well.

Of course, since it's free you could always download it and find out for yourself.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Well the install finished and I flew it for a while but since I'm not a real pilot having nothing to look at left me wanting more. I will say if there were places like the Island in the RF-X beta I'd be interested in flying around exploring the Island. Of course that's not the point of Acro FS but in the end I think you'll find a lot more people that want to use it to fly around and explore than aerobatic pilots that want to practice. Just my 2 cents.

At 1920x1200 with everything turned all the way up I'm getting above 100 fps all the time so frame rate is fine. That's definitely better than I get in RF-X or the Beta. I do get higher frame rates in the RF-X beta but not nearly as good as I get in Acro FS.
Ya, probably not really great for site seeing. On the other hand, I think it may be the start of a very good flight simulator. I've tried a few of the Racing options and they are fun and challenging, much like the Racing though the rings scenarios in RF8 in VR.

I got ~ the same FPS as you (see me specs in a couple threads above) with a similar system. With everything default and 1920x1200, 60hz (pretty well all cranked up) I get ~95-100fps non-VR and ~45-50fps VR. The VR on AFS at 50fps looks way better than rfx at +80fps, not sure why. Maybe the way AFS pre-renders frames, who knows? Maybe because it is more scale-like (and hence slower visually) it does not need faster FPS's.

My X-Plane 11.20 is very similar in that anything above 45fps in VR looks pretty good. As good as X-Plane 11.20 is as a simulator, it's not really that much fun to fly it that way all the time, esp. with ATC telling you vector here and there all the time. When I lived in Melbourne and flew my C-210 I used to tell the tower guys that it was harder to fly radios here than planes, lol!

I gotta say, I think that Acro FS is off to a great start!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
Ya, probably not really great for site seeing. On the other hand, I think it may be the start of a very good flight simulator. I've tried a few of the Racing options and they are fun and challenging, much like the Racing though the rings scenarios in RF8 in VR.

I got ~ the same FPS as you (see me specs in a couple threads above) with a similar system. With everything default and 1920x1200, 60hz (pretty well all cranked up) I get ~95-100fps non-VR and ~45-50fps VR. The VR on AFS at 50fps looks way better than rfx at +80fps, not sure why. Maybe the way AFS pre-renders frames, who knows? Maybe because it is more scale-like (and hence slower visually) it does not need faster FPS's.

My X-Plane 11.20 is very similar in that anything above 45fps in VR looks pretty good. As good as X-Plane 11.20 is as a simulator, it's not really that much fun to fly it that way all the time, esp. with ATC telling you vector here and there all the time. When I lived in Melbourne and flew my C-210 I used to tell the tower guys that it was harder to fly radios here than planes, lol!

I gotta say, I think that Acro FS is off to a great start!
I amended the frame rates I'm getting in my previous post this morning. I started it up today and paid more attention to the frame rate and it's right around 120 fps, give or take a little all the time, definitely great frame rates. But there's little to render so that's kind of expected. I like the dashboards working gauges, very nice. But it's a application for someone else I'm just a simple RCer and like to fly around in the RF-X beta and explore the Island. NVidia will be releasing their new graphics cards soon and I plan to get their top model so I should finally be able to get the frame rates from RF-X I want, that will make me happy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: