Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Current Products > RealFlight 8
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 01-01-2020, 03:44 PM

Newbie needs advice.

I'm 80, and have never flown RC planes, so my friend suggested I get this software to practice with, before I buy (and crash) a real plane. So, I have installed RF8, with the Interlink Elite controller on Win7. It seems to be working just fine, but it is impressively complicated. So - How do I pick a pusher prop glider? And start in full trainer mode? This is the plane I'm considering buying: VOLANTEXRC RC Glider Plane.
Thanks for any replies. And Happy New Year.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfish2 View Post
I'm 80, and have never flown RC planes, so my friend suggested I get this software to practice with, before I buy (and crash) a real plane. So, I have installed RF8, with the Interlink Elite controller on Win7. It seems to be working just fine, but it is impressively complicated. So - How do I pick a pusher prop glider? And start in full trainer mode? This is the plane I'm considering buying: VOLANTEXRC RC Glider Plane.
Thanks for any replies. And Happy New Year.
I have been flies rc plane for 10+ year now. And I started with RealFlight G3.5. I would start with a High wing trainer (like the pt-40 or nexstar in of rf learn to fly a figure eight for a few flights then shoot some aproaches for a few flights so that the shadow of the plane is over the runaway for a few more flights. Then try some a touch and goes for a few more flights then land, full stop, turn around, taxi back, and take off again and repeat. once you can do that with out much crashing try a piper cub or carbon cub and repeat the steps above then a more aerobatic plane. At some point in the cub process you could pick out a real rc plane be it a cub or a glider like you mentioned.

I looked up the plane you mentioned and it is small and small planes don't fly as good and they are harder to see as a larger plane but they are cheaper

I am of the mind set that safe and afs are an okay learning tool but don't become relient on them. They work but they teach habits that will crash planes without them
Old 01-12-2020, 03:18 PM

I have been practicing in RF8 with Flyzone SkyFly2. It is close to what I just bought - an HobbyZone Aeroscout. I have it assembled and working. There is a very good vid on YouTube about it (can I post links?) which shows it flying in all three modes, beginner, intermediate, and advanced. I did find a new .rxt swap file for the Aero Scout, which I downloaded. I am not quite computer savvy enough to get it imported into RF8. I need a grandkid! The SkyFly2 is a close copy, so it should behave like what I bought. I can fly it in RF8, Win7, which has a bigger screen than my laptop. But I'm still having trouble landing where I'm wanting to land. I crash a lot less; the practice has really helped a lot. Thanks for the help, legoman.
Old 01-12-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I have been practicing in RF8 with Flyzone SkyFly2. It is close to what I just bought - an HobbyZone Aeroscout. I have it assembled and working. There is a very good vid on YouTube about it (can I post links?) which shows it flying in all three modes, beginner, intermediate, and advanced. I did find a new .rxt swap file for the Aero Scout, which I downloaded. I am not quite computer savvy enough to get it imported into RF8. I need a grandkid! The SkyFly2 is a close copy, so it should behave like what I bought. I can fly it in RF8, Win7, which has a bigger screen than my laptop. But I'm still having trouble landing where I'm wanting to land. I crash a lot less; the practice has really helped a lot. Thanks for the help, legoman.
Yes you can post youtube videos

Not sure what a .rxt file is. Maybe something for a diferent sim or the flight controller. But I know it won't import to RF, RF needs .RFX or .G3X there are some others for importing other stuff but none of them are .rxt.

You're welcome for the assistance

What airport are you trying to land at?
Old 01-12-2020, 05:02 PM

I'm pretty sure cyberfish2 meant to type ".rfx". I found and downloaded an Aeroscout from the swap pages.

cyberfish2 - The hardest thing is to know where the file that was downloaded got put on your computer!
Start RF. Go to "Simulation", then "Import", then "RealFlight Archive"
Find and select the "Aero Scout_EA.rfx"
It will import, and you'll get a green confirmation at the bottom of the RF screen.
Then go to "Aircraft" and "Select Aircraft" and you will find it under the "Custom" grouping.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:35 PM

I made the AeroScout for RF8. I don't have the real one, but I would love hearing how it stacks up. Have fun !!
Old 01-13-2020, 10:26 AM

Cool Aero Scout problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapper View Post
I'm pretty sure cyberfish2 meant to type ".rfx". I found and downloaded an Aeroscout from the swap pages.

cyberfish2 - The hardest thing is to know where the file that was downloaded got put on your computer!
Start RF. Go to "Simulation", then "Import", then "RealFlight Archive"
Find and select the "Aero Scout_EA.rfx"
It will import, and you'll get a green confirmation at the bottom of the RF screen.
Then go to "Aircraft" and "Select Aircraft" and you will find it under the "Custom" grouping.
Thank you. I did this just fine. But when I ran the AeroScout file, it would not work with my Interlink controller. The plane started and flew in circles all on its own. I tried recalibrating the controller. That didn't work. Am I missing something here, or is that a bug in the new program? This is the plane I bought, but I have yet to fly it. Oh, and yes, I did mean .rfx, I type very poorly. Some 60+ years ago, my typing teacher told me, "With your eye-hand coordination, you're lucky you can feed yourself!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW_zbJuhLfM

Last edited by cyberfish2; 01-13-2020 at 10:43 AM. Reason: add video
Old 01-13-2020, 10:38 AM

How to connect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
I made the AeroScout for RF8. I don't have the real one, but I would love hearing how it stacks up. Have fun !!
How do I get it to connect to my Interlink controller? And thank you for the program. I am a brand new flyer, and this is my starter plane. Also, I've only had RF8 for a couple weeks.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
How do I get it to connect to my Interlink controller? And thank you for the program. I am a brand new flyer, and this is my starter plane. Also, I've only had RF8 for a couple weeks.
The plane has safe which i think was added with a paid expansion which you may not have not sure though
Old 01-13-2020, 11:16 AM

Of course I did not actually try to fly the plane before advising you above. So I went back in, using RF8 and the InterLink-X, and it flew very nicely! No controller issues! There really isn't a way for a plane to not use an active controller (it may not use it correctly, but it will respond to it!)

So, apologies, but we have to check your setup, which means basic questions:
1. Can you switch to another plane, and control it? (Anything listed under RF 8, as we know these are "factory default" for the controller). If you switch back to the Aero Scout, is it still not responding at all?

2. If you go to "Simulation" "Select Controller", does only one (the Interlink) appear?

3. If on the Interlink, you click "Edit", do the settings look like the attached? If not make it match what I show, and make sure the two boxes at the bottom are checked.

4. Unlikely, but under "Simulation" for both "Flight Failures" and "Setup Failures", under "Frequency" make sure both are set to "Never".

On mine, the Ch 8 switch on the TX turns on the flight stabilizer when all the way away from you. This makes the plane very docile in control - but you can still control it.

Let us know what you find out, and we'll proceed from there, if need be.

(BTW - legomans reference isn't an issue here. I don't have the paid Horizon Hobby version of RF 8, just all the latest free updates to the older version of 8, and all is fine. And if you do have the Horizon Hobby version, so much the better!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (70.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Flapper; 01-13-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
(BTW - legomans reference isn't an issue here. I don't have the paid Horizon Hobby version of RF 8, just all the latest free updates to the older version of 8, and all is fine. And if you do have the Horizon Hobby version, so much the better!)
oops I had the paid version as soon as it came out so I did not realize that safe was a free release. I also do not RF 8 installed any more nor did i have time to check the release notes. So sorry for any confusion
Old 01-14-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Of course I did not actually try to fly the plane before advising you above. So I went back in, using RF8 and the InterLink-X, and it flew very nicely! No controller issues! There really isn't a way for a plane to not use an active controller (it may not use it correctly, but it will respond to it!)

So, apologies, but we have to check your setup, which means basic questions:
1. Can you switch to another plane, and control it? (Anything listed under RF 8, as we know these are "factory default" for the controller). If you switch back to the Aero Scout, is it still not responding at all?

2. If you go to "Simulation" "Select Controller", does only one (the Interlink) appear?

3. If on the Interlink, you click "Edit", do the settings look like the attached? If not make it match what I show, and make sure the two boxes at the bottom are checked.

4. Unlikely, but under "Simulation" for both "Flight Failures" and "Setup Failures", under "Frequency" make sure both are set to "Never".

On mine, the Ch 8 switch on the TX turns on the flight stabilizer when all the way away from you. This makes the plane very docile in control - but you can still control it.

Let us know what you find out, and we'll proceed from there, if need be.

1. Yes. I can fly any plane, except the AeroScout from the custom list.
2. Yes. So far the Interlink 6.5 is my only controller. I have purchased the Spektrum dongle to wirelessly connect to the DX7, but it is not set up yet.
3. Yes, except I only have 8 channels. Both boxes are checked.
4. I reset these to "Never". I had been trying to see what went wrong.
I will see if I can connect now. Connection failed on both hand launch, and runway versions.
There were 4 quick messages that came up at the Bottom left of the screen. They went away before I could catch them. I'll reload and get a screen shot with my phone.
"Unable to locate electric motor, default selected"
"Unable to locate black plastic prop, default selected"
"AeroScout loaded"
Still not connected to controller...

Last edited by cyberfish2; 01-14-2020 at 10:47 AM. Reason: add info
Old 01-14-2020, 11:09 AM

You should download and install all the free update packages found here:

https://www.realflight.com/support/k....php?q=16-1033
Old 01-14-2020, 11:13 AM

Hmmm...legoman might have been on to something.....
This plane uses the Spektrum flight controller. I haven't downgraded my system to a version that doesn't have that, but if not there, it would seem likely to produce the symptoms you note, and generate error messages.

So, what version are you running? From the "launcher", look at the very bottom of the box. It will show the version number just below the serial #. 8.00.056 is the most current.

If you don't have that version, click on the "Technical Support" line in the launcher.
The Launcher will disappear, and after a minute a new box will pop up. On the bottom left is a box to "Update to Specific Version". Click on that, and select 8.00.056. Click OK and let it do it's thing.

Those error messages are suspicious - Donamy or Legoman may be able to help. As planes are added from add-ons/expansion packs there can be new "parts" put in the system too. If Donamy used those for making his model, and you don't have them, that would generate the messages. So there might be a couple of things going on. But since your copy flew (although with no control) at this point the error messages are not critical....but something to keep in the back of our minds, if you have the latest version, or updating to it doesn't work.

(Edit - and yep, BrokeDad just responded with how to get those planes/parts).

Last edited by Flapper; 01-14-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:32 PM

I wish I could be more help, but that was my first plane for RF, and I didn't really know what I was doing. So, it could be a flaw in the setup.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: