Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 02-10-2019, 08:30 PM

I set the back torque to zero which of course makes the physics not real. But it takes off really well It's an excellent scale replica like always I just don't like having to "fight" a plane to fly it.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Thanks.. that's what I figured the deal was with the left wing dragging. If I try really hard I can take-off okay but it's not my cup of tea. I guess that's why I don't do scale I'm just an RC flyer. I did play with some other sound profiles that's not a biggie I just thought I'd share that with you.

Edit: I guess I'd say one more thing. In no case will this plane ever be an RC Fighter with a Big Engine, it will always be an RC Model. So to me making it fly like an RC Model should be the target, make it look scale but with RC Plane flight physics. SO.. the serious question I have, because I don't know the answer.. do Scale RC Models people build fly like real planes or do they fly more like RC models?
It already is a rc fighter with a big engine, also with a narrow under carriage. And I do intend to make it look scale and fly like a model and I though I was pretty close. and to the final question: "Do Scale RC Models people build fly like real planes or do they fly more like RC models?" they fly like rc models and the pilots use fine stick movements/control to make the rc plane look like a full scale.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
It already is a rc fighter with a big engine, also with a narrow under carriage. And I do intend to make it look scale and fly like a model and I though I was pretty close. and to the final question: "Do Scale RC Models people build fly like real planes or do they fly more like RC models?" they fly like rc models and the pilots use fine stick movements/control to make the rc plane look like a full scale.
OPPs.. that was a type-o (I fixed it) I meant "it will never be a Fighter with a Big Engine" as in a Real Plane. (but you probably already knew that)

Be assured my comments are only meant to help I want to fly this plane. I just think the severe torque hurts the model and the hi rate of climb at full throttle needs to be way less, just a bit of climb but not continual until it's at nearly 45 degrees it seems.

And yeah I figured that was the answer on scale RC models.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:43 PM

Awesome model, Legoman the landing gear on the F3F is incredible, great work. I did not vote for the F3F initially, (my pick was the de Havilland Dragon Rapide) but now I have tried and flown this model you have won me over, excellent choice.

Last edited by asj5547; 02-11-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM

Totally bogus physics. But it flies damn good.
Attached Files
File Type: rfx F3F BD Beta_AV.RFX (2.53 MB, 7 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Changed
I reduce power output while the retracts are down for take off to 5 HP from 15 HP changed the engine sound, slowed down the throttle servo from 1.3 to 2.0, increased elevator from 13 to 15 degrees, and I think that is it.

Unchanged
Top speed and climb performance

It can still drag a wing if uncorrected on takeoff. (down elevator or aileron)
Attached Files
File Type: rfx F3F Public Beta 01b_AV.RFX (2.21 MB, 11 views)
Old 02-12-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Changed
I reduce power output while the retracts are down for take off to 5 HP from 15 HP changed the engine sound, slowed down the throttle servo from 1.3 to 2.0, increased elevator from 13 to 15 degrees, and I think that is it.

Unchanged

Thanks I'll give it a try.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Changed

Unchanged

Legoman. I can see what you're trying to do with the engine control but being honest I liked the physics in the first EA the best. Controlling the engine power on take off works somewhat but like you said you can still dip the wing if you aren't careful and apply the correction properly. (which most often I fail to do) But I don't like not having the full engine power available on take off and then even after take off the engine power is reduced until the gear is raised. So my vote would be to go back like you had it the first time and just put up with the dipping wing on take off. But thanks for listening to my comments and taking the time to work on them.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:07 AM

The first beta version works best for me, the second beta is under powered with the gear down and the F3F tip stalls easily, if turning soon after lift off.
Take off procedure is, apply 50% down elevator then apply 50% to 70% throttle, be ready to add a touch of left rudder as the F3F begins to move, then balance the elevator to keep the wheels on the ground while increasing throttle to 100% and the F3F tracts straight and level down the runway.
The take off procedure sounds a bit much just to get the model airborne (will become natural reaction after a few attempts) but definitely worth it, this is a great flying model. (very aerobatic) and inverted flight is stable.
Only modification I made was to add 1.3 degrees engine down thrust.
I fly RF-X primarily but tested in RF7.5 as well.
Great work Legoman.

Last edited by asj5547; 02-14-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:12 PM

The only thing I think it needs is to be heavier.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:45 PM

Here's a couple of video's of Legoman's Grumman F3F model, video one is line of sight flying, with camera shots showcasing the incredible landing gear system, flown at Meadowlands Airport in RF-X.

This is F3F Public Beta 01.EA from post # 84 in this build thread.

The more I fly this model, the More I like it, awesome work, Legoman.

Thanks for giving me permission to post the video's in your build thread.

https://youtu.be/S-k6vkayoeE

The second video is having fun barnstorming around RC Ranch Airport, on Wright Island in RF-X.

https://youtu.be/euWRyttIoN0

Last edited by asj5547; 03-03-2019 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:39 PM

did some work on the wind screen and canopy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3F build pic 30.jpg (59.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg F3F build pic 31.jpg (49.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg F3F build pic 32.jpg (69.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-25-2019, 02:38 PM

Looks great.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Looking real nice Legoman great work !!!The wind screen frame work can be a pain, at least the simple one I did was, Well.... at least for me.
Old 04-05-2019, 08:50 PM

I re-did the main windscreen to make the bullet "resistant" glass flat and make the gun's telescoping sight.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3F build pic 33.jpg (24.2 KB, 23 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: