Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight Classic/Deluxe
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 PM

Angry What is the "Radio Shack" connector called???

Just to avoid looking like an idiot AGAIN, what is the ACTUAL name of the Radio Shack connector that allows the 15 pin gameport male connector on the RF Futaba controller to convert it to work in a USB port?

Can it be found in stores or is it easier to order it over the internet? (i'm trying to find it on radioshack's website and I'm coming up with NOTHING in terms of finding the right "magic" combination of words to find this thing.....)

What is it "called"/"labeled" or HOW DO I FIND IT???? PLEASE !?!?!??!?? I walked into a Radio Shack asking about this cable/device and they looked at me like I had forgotten to not only zip my pants, but apparently had also taken the effort to paint "it" magenta and paste sequins to "it"..... after a while of being stared at by a slack jawed $7/hr un-medicated buffoon, I finally just gave up and figured I'd have better luck explaining it to the dog who was, inexplicably, trying to hump the tailpipe of my car.....
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Are you talking like this:
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/1404...male-joys.html

That's just a 15-pin DIN, called a DB15 to USB adapter. Not sure what connector you're talking about...
Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 PM

Adapter

What you need is a game port to USB adapter or DB-15 to USB adapter. I got mine from Radio Shack (about $15) about a year ago. My local store didn't know what it was until I had them find it on their website...then they found it. I have read in some forums that Radio Shack may be discontinuing that product. Just did a search on their site and couldn't find it. Maybe there are still some left in some stores.

The other brand I've heard of is Rockfire. Go to this site.

http://www.rockfire.com.tw/

Click on Product...then Accessory.
The item on the very bottom is what you need.

I'm not sure where Rockfire products are sold but you may try computer places or ones that specialize in gaming equipment.

Also, when you get an adapter it can be a little tricky getting Windows to properly recognize the controller with the adapter. If you get to that point let me know. I have instructions for the Radio Shack and Rockfire adapters.

Good Luck.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:26 PM

jrpnde, you are correct. I went hit a RadioShack store and asked about this cable and the guy there confirmed that they discontinued them about a year-1.5yr ago.... that's why I couldn't find it on the website (and that's why I posted, I thought I was searching for the wrong item name or it was called something oddball that I would have never guessed. Instead, it's just called "gone")

Thanks for the info on the RockFire. Blasted expensive for an "antique joystick" connecter (cheapest I found it was $18.95+s/h --> didn't go far enough to find out HOW much s/h). Instead of using my laptop for RealFlight, I think I'll just save the cash and plug it into an ACTUAL 15pin joystick slot luckily, my old box still has one of these beasties..... come to think of it, that's not actually a GOOD thing; it means my PC is AN ANTIQUE TOO !!!!

thanks for the help! I've already downloaded the "how to make the RockFire work" document

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: