Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc23
Looks great. How soon is it coming for G3?
Sorry. . It may be a while. . I let my friend barrow my G3.5 and I don't have it installed on my system right now.. Hmmm that brings me to a thought .....
Could I install G3.5 and start it up with only the G4 controller pluged in?

Anyone.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
Actually yes. It is quite amazing.

There are a few tweaks needed to get the physics "spot on", including setting the C.G. a bit further back.... but it's already very close.

I find that the real deal actually hovers a bit more easily than the G3/G4 model and I have a list of specific quirks of the real thing generated at the field, to establish where the physics may need a ( SMALL ) amount of final tweaking... but the existing model is very good...
Note:

After comparing the real deal to the G4 Addiction, the C.G. is indeed spot on.

I had to INCREASE the throws of the G4 model to mimic the responsiveness of the real thing... this corresponds exactly to the 40-45 degree throws seen in the real thing.

The control surface counterbalances are not modeled ( something I'm changing ) nor is reflex/flaperon ( I'm also fixing ).

Due to the lightness of the real plane, I ended up dropping the mass scaling factor to about .75 to get similiar ( almost non-existent ) stall performance...

Great effort on this model all around. It's quite impressive.

Last edited by opjose; 09-22-2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
Note:

After comparing the real deal to the G4 Addiction, the C.G. is indeed spot on.

I had to INCREASE the throws of the G4 model to mimic the responsiveness of the real thing... this corresponds exactly to the 40-45 degree throws seen in the real thing.

The control surface counterbalances are not modeled ( something I'm changing ) nor is reflex/flaperon ( I'm also fixing ).

Due to the lightness of the real plane, I ended up dropping the mass scaling factor to about .75 to get similiar ( almost non-existent ) stall performance...

Great effort on this model all around. It's quite impressive.
Well I am happy that you like it, I spent quite some time making this bad boy. What are the Counterbalances? and the reflex/flaperon?

And I thought for sure that you would have an answer to my previous post.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:53 PM

A truely outstanding plane...

Re: G3.5

No sorry, the Interlink for G4 is not compatible with G3, so G3 will not run.

Re: Counterbalances.

The elevator and rudder, both have small forward protruding surfaces, that go beyond the pivot point. These are referred to as "counter balances", or other similiar terminology...

They have an affect on the authority of both of the surfaces, and they also act to increase overall control surface area.

Re: Reflex/Spoileron mixes.

Most of the guys at our field with Addictions fly them with spoileron/flaperon mixes from the elevator... the mixes are on a three position switch so you can select from

- Elevator to Flaperon mix
- Normal Aileron controls
- Elevator to Reflex mix

The first INCREASES the loop rate of the plane to the point that it almost seems to loop on it's nose.

In a very light to no breeze the latter permits the plane to decend from altitude and LAND straight down, by killing lift in a controlled manner. It also permits fairly interesting flat spins....

The pictures below illustrate the mixing...

Flaperon Mix

Spoileron ( aka Reflex ) Mix

Old 09-22-2008, 02:37 PM

Looks great

Hey here an ideal

Any chance you can past the Raw Kex and the Tga file to another dsigisner or some one that is Really good at seting up Models and still has both G3 and G4,

( junkboy999 leans over is nudges Opjose arm, while taking him out for a Vitruial drink for doing such a geat job on the smoke set up for Junkboy999's and Hers40's new project. Nudeg Nudge Wink Wink )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I
Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 PM

I will get-er done don't worry.. My friend only lives a few minutes away I will just do it over at his house.. Wink Wink Nudge Nudge ya know what I mean..
Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 AM

Variant is up with mixing, full tail physics, and very MINOR tweaks...

Is there any way to fix the collision mesh on the wheels so the plane doesn't "stick" to the runway as much?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:13 AM

You just have to give it full throttle at take off...

I ran out of Tris/Polys, this plane is sitting at 19,999 and I spent hours removing every poly I could just to get the coll mesh at all.

Mabey I will do some tweaking and see if I can get that fixed because right now that rear wheel is just a three sided box and I was lucky to get that.

Also I did name all the controll horns on the servos if you wanted to set some moveable pods to them.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keylitho

Also I did name all the controll horns on the servos if you wanted to set some moveable pods to them.
Great thanks!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:53 PM

Question LG breakaway?

Quote:
I ran out of Tris/Polys, this plane is sitting at 19,999 and I spent hours removing every poly I could just to get the coll mesh at all.

Maby I will do some tweaking and see if I can get that fixed because right now that rear wheel is just a three sided box and I was lucky to get that.
Erik, I just did a hard landing, and noticed that your model's landing gear breaks off one side at a time. Any way to make it like the real model, and have the entire LG assembly snap off, and in the process pick up a few tris\polys in the process? Just a thought.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:52 PM

Thumbs up Kudos

Erik,
The Addiction owners are beginning to feedback on your model. We have a concensus among real-world users that it's among the best we've sen in replication of the real thing.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmanzuk
Erik, I just did a hard landing, and noticed that your model's landing gear breaks off one side at a time. Any way to make it like the real model, and have the entire LG assembly snap off, and in the process pick up a few tris\polys in the process? Just a thought.
Well you just have to turn on break off togeather in the G4 editor, if I make them one piece in 3DS then there would only be one pivot point for the landing gear and the springy gear would not function properly.

I have been working on a revised version of the Addiction with some update coll meshes. I twiddiled a few poly's off here and there to get that tail gear mesh a little smother.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman77
Keylitho nice job! i enjoy your thyphoon tons! and canīt wait to have the adiction on 3.5... any date soon?
congrats on your job!!!

Missed it!!! many thanks for this amazing work!!!
Ice
Missed it? What, is it on the swaps already?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:32 PM

Single piece gear

Sorry Rjimanzuk

That is the way RF was coded and is not the fault of the Model designers.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:37 PM

yes!

Quote:
Well you just have to turn on break off togeather in the G4 editor...
That works ... 1st time i even noticed that parameter. DOH! thx, guy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: