Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 06-19-2019, 02:50 PM

Looking for freelancers

Hello all,

I am new to RF8 and I do not know how to use 3ds max. I am looking to get help in modelling our design. The configuration is a octarotor tailsitter, I will use Arduplane SITL to run the simulation on RF8.

I need a 3ds max file of our model which looks something like the attached design here. Please respond here and I can share more details of the design. Also, please feel free to quote charges for the work.

#In immediate need

Thanks a lot in advance
-Yeshwanth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Octahawk_ISO_1.jpg (332.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-20-2019, 08:57 AM

If your goal is to use RF to test fly your design, you don't need to have a model created. There are two parts to aircraft design in RealFlight - the visual model (what you see on screen), which does require 3D modeling. But there is also the included "aircraft editor" where you input/adjust all the physical parameters, starting from a base visual model of something that is sort of close to your design. You can add/subtract/resize/reshape motors, wings, booms, fuselages, airfoils or anything else as desired - the end result is a model that mimics the flight of the intended design very closely. Within the editor, you can see all the items you added/subtracted/changed. The catch is - when you go to fly it, it will still look like the base model you started with - but it will behave much differently.
I use it frequently to prototype an existing "real" model, and then interactively make changes until the one in RF flies the way I want. Then I go to the real model, and make the changes to that - and they bear out the flight behavior that was predicted.
There is a learning curve to using the editor, and some of the parameters can get pretty esoteric about what they do - but it is all there, and there is a lot of help here if there are further questions!
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 AM

Hi @Flapper,

Thanks for the detailed suggestion. I tried to edit an existing model to get something close to what I'm thinking.

I think RF8 cannot inherently fly such a model, so I connected it with Ardupilot SITL with Mission Planner. However, I'm unable to get it off the ground (the airfract gets toppled)

Can you please help check if I have done anything wrong here. I'm attaching the RFX file here.
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Quad Tailsitter_V1_EA.RFX (982.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:43 PM

I didn't look for the original, to compare modifications. But you have deleted one of the sets of wings when I compare the physics wireframe to the "ghost" visual image. So two of the engines are offset a long ways from the remaining wing, giving asymmetrical trust. Hence the toppling.

Spend some time looking at a variety of models - both plane and multi-rotor, to get a sense of how the various parts are configured, how the coordinate system works, etc. In looking at the jpg, RealFlight shouldn't have any issue inherently flying such a model for very basic testing, although Ardu and MP would enhance the control a lot.

Start with a very basic quad, and do some uncomplicated modifications - turn it into an octo-copter, etc. (or vice versa). Look at some planes with multiple sections of wings set at different dihedrals to get a sense of how they were made and positioned. It will take time "playing" with it to get an overall sense of how to make the appropriate physics wireframes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: