Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 06-04-2019, 01:32 AM

Sorry but no retractable floats the only ones I know about is on the PBY Catalina and the wings looks pretty stubby to me and the floats retracted on the tips look bad to me. What I have is a double tapper wing which is a composite I created from two different flying boat wings the Short Sunderland and Martin JRM Mars. Sorry about that but no retractable floats. But it is possible the wing shape might change after I get the plane going.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:15 AM

Don't ask too much guys or we'll use up all the "trifangles" before it's even off the drawing board.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Sorry but no retractable floats the only ones I know about is on the PBY Catalina and the wings looks pretty stubby to me and the floats retracted on the tips look bad to me. What I have is a double tapper wing which is a composite I created from two different flying boat wings the Short Sunderland and Martin JRM Mars. Sorry about that but no retractable floats. But it is possible the wing shape might change after I get the plane going.
A different type of retracting float off of a Do-26 and a non retracting float dornier seastar. Also I was very much considering starting the Martin mars build but I will but it off for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg float design picture 2.jpg (50.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg float design picture.jpg (58.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg float design picture 3.jpg (34.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by legoman; 06-04-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDad View Post
Don't ask too much guys or we'll use up all the "trifangles" before it's even off the drawing board.
Well I will say that putting 4 of my 9 cylinder radials in it has already used tons of triangles so that 125k triangle limit will be pushed by this plane.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
A different type of retracting float off of a Do-26 and a non retracting float dornier seastar. Also I was very much considering starting the Martin mars build but I will but it off for now.
Thanks I hadn't seen that one but I like seeing the floats they're part of the flying boat look to me. I used the type of float in your third picture on my Techair Sea Cruise. Speaking of the MARS, the floats on it are one of the styles I'm considering for this plane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Techair Sea Cruise 47.jpg (184.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-04-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Well I will say that putting 4 of my 9 cylinder radials in it has already used tons of triangles so that 125k triangle limit will be pushed by this plane.
do you remember what I told you a long time ago about turning your engines in to objects the don't affect the poly count. like how I got AN-225 to 49k in the 7.5 exporter
Old 06-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
do you remember what I told you a long time ago about turning your engines in to objects the don't affect the poly count. like how I got AN-225 to 49k in the 7.5 exporter
Is this what you're talking about? I saved it but have never tried it. But yeah I can do that if I need to in the end.

Quote:
This list may seem long but the steps are fairly short. I tried to write clear instruction that's why itís so long.

Some of the basic propeller making instructions are the same. But some of the instructions need to be "adjusted" for doing this. See the full thread on instructions here. So if you already know this feel free to skim/skip that portion

1. Make the engine, which in this case it is already done, and temporarily put it in the model.

2. Choose a reference point on the airplane. A good point would be the back of the ~CS_SPINNER. And place a small object, like a 4-sided n-gon or cube, centered on the point.

3. Next place your engine in a separate file so your chosen point is located at the origin 0,0,0. A copy of the small object may be helpful in finding the reference point while moving.

4. Combine all the objects in your engine in to one object and name it "HUB" no ~CS_ prefix.

5. Add an object called "~CS_COLL" make it a similar shape as the engine it can be a simple cube and make it a child of the "HUB" object. This is so RF can detect collisions with the engine because RF does not auto generate collisions for propellers or airport objects.

6. Also add a small object not visible (hidden in the engine) called "~CS_BLADE" as RF looks for this on import. Make this the child of the HUB as well.

7. Before exporting scale the engine to a size that the center of the prop shaft and the farthest point radially away on the axis of the engine is 12 inches. This number will be explained later

8. Export the engine file with appropriate names seen in the full instructions

9. When importing the propeller to RF make sure you import it as a variable pitch prop

10. You may want to have the engine and airplane completed around the same time for testing the shape and scales. (or at least a rough outline of the shape of the nacelle or fuse)

11. Create a custom engine with a torque curve that produces zero torque from zero rpms to a very large rpm then but a very large spike in the curve (say 10,000 in-oz) and then return the torque to zero. This basically says to the RF engine I don't want this engine to easily stall (at all).

12. Add your new custom engine to your model and apply your propeller to your engine. You probably notice that the engine is not oriented right in the cowl and is not the right size. To fix this reverse the rotation of the propeller and set the diameter on your prop to the actual length from the axis of rotation to the farthest point radially from the axis.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Is this what you're talking about? I saved it but have never tried it. But yeah I can do that if I need to in the end.
yes it is
Old 06-05-2019, 12:13 PM

I added floats to the wings this morning they seem about right but I'll tweak them after I get it going in RealFlight and see what they look like on the water.

Oh.. I haven't rounded out the engine housings in the back I'll do that later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 10.jpg (42.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-05-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I added floats to the wings this morning they seem about right but I'll tweak them after I get it going in RealFlight and see what they look like on the water.

Oh.. I haven't rounded out the engine housings in the back I'll do that later.
something I noticed earlier but though I should mention it. a propeller may be too close to the water at a diameter appropriate for the nacelle and fuselage spacing.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
something I noticed earlier but though I should mention it. a propeller may be too close to the water at a diameter appropriate for the nacelle and fuselage spacing.
I should have mentioned it earlier but I knew there wasn't enough room for a properly sized prop. In the beginning the wing was higher on the fuselage which would help some and I intend to move it back up a little. I also plan to make the fuselage a little taller. But all that will be tweaked as I get further along. Right now I need to go back and round out the engine housings. Being honest I cutoff the boom on Excursion just behind the engine and used that to create the engines for the flying boat. I like to reuse parts as much as I can. So right now I need to round out the back of the engine housings then I'll work on the prop clearance. I plan to scale it up once I see it in RF-X and size it to what I want to fly there. I know about the weight limit but I guess I'll have to get a waiver.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:59 AM

I did some more work on the flying boat the last couple of days. I haven't worked on the engine housings yet but I did work on the fuselage. I didn't raise the wings on the fuselage but I did lower the bottom of the fuselage a fair amount and did a bit of reshaping on it. I think the wing floats need to come up some but I'll do that once I get it in RealFlight and see what it looks like on the water. I may also lower the fuselage a little more. But I tend to get it about right and do the final tweaking once the plane is in RF so I can see my changes better, things look different in RF than the do in 3ds Max. So here's a front shot of what it looks like now.

You can see in the picture along the bottom and the left side I have a top view and side view of the Short Sunderland I've been using for reference and the engines are located according to the reference top view. Right now the wingspan is 130 inches and there's 15.3 inches between the engines center to center. So not a large prop. I need to look at the specs for the Short Sunderland and see what the prop length is and scale it to this plane, but the engines are positioned right over the reference drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flying Boat 11.jpg (42.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-07-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I did some more work on the flying boat the last couple of days. I haven't worked on the engine housings yet but I did work on the fuselage. I didn't raise the wings on the fuselage but I did lower the bottom of the fuselage a fair amount and did a bit of reshaping on it. I think the wing floats need to come up some but I'll do that once I get it in RealFlight and see what it looks like on the water. I may also lower the fuselage a little more. But I tend to get it about right and do the final tweaking once the plane is in RF so I can see my changes better, things look different in RF than the do in 3ds Max. So here's a front shot of what it looks like now.

You can see in the picture along the bottom and the left side I have a top view and side view of the Short Sunderland I've been using for reference and the engines are located according to the reference top view. Right now the wingspan is 130 inches and there's 15.3 inches between the engines center to center. So not a large prop. I need to look at the specs for the Short Sunderland and see what the prop length is and scale it to this plane, but the engines are positioned right over the reference drawing.
here are some links to short sunderland 3 views if you are interested they all have props on them

https://www.the-blueprints.com/bluep...derland_mkiii/

https://www.the-blueprints.com/bluep...nderland_mk_v/
Old 06-07-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
here are some links to short sunderland 3 views if you are interested they all have props on them

https://www.the-blueprints.com/bluep...derland_mkiii/

https://www.the-blueprints.com/bluep...nderland_mk_v/
Sorry I'm a dummy again. Your first link is a higher resolution picture of the one I'm using, mine is 1600x1400. When I wrote that post I hadn't looked at the top view in a while so I forgot it had props on it. I just measured my reference view and the prop size is 12.3 inches. I measured all four to be sure.

But thanks for the links I'll get both of them. I just finished adding a small dome on the tip of the nose and plan to rescale it to 180 inch wingspan and do a quick look at it in RF-X after I make a quick and dirty physics file in RF-8. I'm stopping to take my wife to a Doctor's visit so I'll get back to it later.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:44 PM

The Flying Boat is looking really good Technoid, at 180 inch span it will be easy to see and fun to fly at Harbor Dock.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: