Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 8 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 08-31-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
I meant, is it allowed ?
It's allowed. You won't be able to export and use any of the proprietary aircraft that are unique to one version and not another as the program will not let you export the EA for it .. only an AV. And to use the AV you need the EA. It will just tell you when you try to load it that you don't have the aircraft it's based on.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donamy View Post
I meant, is it allowed ?
I've never seen anything that said you couldn't grab a plane from the RF-9 swap pages and import it in any of the older version that will allow it. I think the older version support for the new swap page planes might stop with RF 7.5 there were some changes from RF 7.0 to RF 7.5 so new planes might not import in RF 7.0.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:59 AM

A little more FS-1 progress today-- and a problem.

Since the shading issue was fixed, it made sense to return to the already modeled FS-1 vs doing all the work again (although what was started on the fuselage was good practice). Also dropped the span to 8 ft and reworked the physics. Flies very smooth now.
Had the left gear pretty much done for the animation, so it was duplicated to the right side. Found the FS-1 was flat on the ground... Cycled the retracts and it got up on the mains, but the right wheel dragged and did not rotate (must have had a wrong part name or link).

Well, not being able to fly at all was not good, so I started from an earlier scene with the more basic gear on the right side.
The right wheel worked again so, I decided to leave that question alone for awhile and started some more model details-- mapping to see some real colors on this plane.

With a good first pass at that, it was back to the investigating the reset issue.
After some trial and error, I find the left wheel with its more complicated linkage falls through the ground if the gear is lowered at reset. The basic retract linkage works as expected. If the gear switch is in the retracted position at reset, all the wheels are extended and make correct contact with the ground. There were no C-meshes yet, but adding them to the RW, LW, and SW make no difference.

So the problem is why the left wheel falls through the ground if the gear is lowered at reset??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1567917770.jpg (278.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1567917783.jpg (281.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1567917900.jpg (340.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Fly_electric; 09-08-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_electric View Post
A little more FS-1 progress today-- and a problem.

Since the shading issue was fixed, it made sense to return to the already modeled FS-1 vs doing all the work again (although what was started on the fuselage was good practice). Also dropped the span to 8 ft and reworked the physics. Flies very smooth now.
Had the left gear pretty much done for the animation, so it was duplicated to the right side. Found the FS-1 was flat on the ground... Cycled the retracts and it got up on the mains, but the right wheel dragged and did not rotate (must have had a wrong part name or link).

Well, not being able to fly at all was not good, so I started from an earlier scene with the more basic gear on the right side.
The right wheel worked again so, I decided to leave that question alone for awhile and started some more model details-- mapping to see some real colors on this plane.

With a good first pass at that, it was back to the investigating the reset issue.
After some trial and error, I find the left wheel with its more complicated linkage falls through the ground if the gear is lowered at reset. The basic retract linkage works as expected. If the gear switch is in the retracted position at reset, all the wheels are extended and make correct contact with the ground. There were no C-meshes yet, but adding them to the RW, LW, and SW make no difference.

So the problem is why the left wheel falls through the ground if the gear is lowered at reset??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
This may be complicated so I will make it simple. the reason the part is getting pushed though the ground is... then a child of a retract is retracted(gear up) its collison and physics is turned off. since your gear comes down in stages you may need to encompase the child components on the top most/oldest/parent gear so parts dont get pushed throught he ground.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
This may be complicated so I will make it simple. the reason the part is getting pushed though the ground is... then a child of a retract is retracted(gear up) its collison and physics is turned off. since your gear comes down in stages you may need to encompase the child components on the top most/oldest/parent gear so parts dont get pushed throught he ground.
Good to know I figured this was going to be a collision mesh problem. BUT.. you say "then a child of a retract is retracted(gear up) its collison and physics is turned off" I'm curious how do you find out these details? And please check my DC-4 thread I have a question for your about retract timing. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Good to know I figured this was going to be a collision mesh problem. BUT.. you say "then a child of a retract is retracted(gear up) its collison and physics is turned off" I'm curious how do you find out these details? And please check my DC-4 thread I have a question for your about retract timing. Thanks.
I am guilty of putting on minimal collision meshes when the planes get to big for the auto collison mesh, so tires only becuase that is the only part that should touch any thing. And for the physics turned off I really mean animations and aerodynamics, gravity still applies to parts. As far as how i figured that out the editor turns the parts red and I put retacts on some tundra tires and put two and two together.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:53 PM

Thanks legoman.

The mystery remains as the left gear has the same linkages and c-meshes as the right gear. And the left gear works ok. The right gear parts have each been mirrored over from the left (with the usual precaution of deleting the links before making the copies).
Now that there are c-meshes in the design, the fuselage shell also now has one (keeps it from sinking).

Two observations (perhaps clues):
1. Checking a simple retract setup, I noticed there the gear is always down on reset, regardless of the Ch7 retract switch position. The gear on the FS-1 follows the Ch7 switch..
2. The starting position of the FS-1 gear is not fully retracted-- the wheel is out near the end of the gear door and partially rotated. I believe the left gear is the same.

May not mean anything, but just some observations.

Am sure this problem will get answered. To those waiting for the FS-1, my apologies. This is my first model with a multi gear component setup-- so I'm still learning.

Enjoy a great week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1567982349.jpg (426.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1567982363.jpg (424.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1567982322.jpg (424.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1567982335.jpg (428.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-09-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly_electric View Post
Thanks legoman.

The mystery remains as the left gear has the same linkages and c-meshes as the right gear. And the left gear works ok. The right gear parts have each been mirrored over from the left (with the usual precaution of deleting the links before making the copies).
Now that there are c-meshes in the design, the fuselage shell also now has one (keeps it from sinking).

Two observations (perhaps clues):
1. Checking a simple retract setup, I noticed there the gear is always down on reset, regardless of the Ch7 retract switch position. The gear on the FS-1 follows the Ch7 switch..
2. The starting position of the FS-1 gear is not fully retracted-- the wheel is out near the end of the gear door and partially rotated. I believe the left gear is the same.

May not mean anything, but just some observations.

Am sure this problem will get answered. To those waiting for the FS-1, my apologies. This is my first model with a multi gear component setup-- so I'm still learning.

Enjoy a great week.
  1. The gear on the FS-1 follows the Ch7 switch means you have one servo hooked to a gear and a reversed input gear and it does not know which state high/low to go to so it defaults to what the switch is set to.
  2. Nested nup command can do that. When the parent is retracted motion of the childern stops.
(Both of these are a usually and I am tired right now take what I as a most likely)

The fact that is doing both of these things leads me to believe that the gear is not symetrical (physics in RF) and one of the gears on the right side has the servo reversed. you don't have any other components beside landing gears and gear doors running on nup commands do you. if you want to drop me an ea over email I can look at it tomorrow some time.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:52 AM

1 & 2: understood.

The Nup commands are doors, gears, and one dummy object.
Yes, the gear is not symmetrical. Individual gears are used to provide differential braking for ground steering.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:10 AM

Well, in addition to the retract issue, I think the FS-1 body needs a bit of tweaking.
I'd not looked at a picture of the studio model for awhile, and recently noticed that while the only 3 views I could find to model from show the front as a bit squarish, the real model has a smooth curve..

Orbit views: no the ground contact issue isn't resolved yet, but to fly the FS-1 I just changed the launch to a catapult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1567994051.jpg (310.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1567993784.jpg (199.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1567993747.jpg (293.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg FS-1 cruise.jpg (18.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-12-2019, 10:56 PM

Got some time to work on the FS-1 tonight.
Looked again at the physics-- LG now fixed.
First multi gear and wheel model, but still embarrassing to admit the wheels were attached to the wrong gear......
I think I was working on getting the motion correct as the parts are displayed in the editor. Moved correctly, but not attached correctly.
Still, learned some more-- thanks for your help legoman!

With that problem resolved, work can continue next time with the needed tweaks and adding the TW retraction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot1568341323.jpg (442.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-12-2019, 11:50 PM

That`s looking real sweet FE, glad too hear you got the LG issue resolved. It will be a great addition to the swaps when it`s complete....
Old 09-13-2019, 01:00 AM

Yeah it will definitely be cool to see it on the swap pages.. And fly it too !!!
Old 09-13-2019, 08:29 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:31 AM

Looking great FE. Looking at it from the front reminds me of some cartoon character but I can't think of it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: