Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 9 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 09-08-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
legoman

I have a question for you about controlling retract parts. I need to control the retract lever (brace) that's at an angle from the front of the nacelle down to the gear, that lever is split into upper and lower parts so I can rotate the upper and lower parts when the gear is going up and down. You can see from the beta I have it working BUT the parts that you add yourself don't move at the same time as the built in parts do (like the LG and RG) so I used a modifier like you use in your planes to control that but I can't get the upper and lower levers to start moving at the exact time of the built in parts so the movement isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. Is the only thing you can do is adjust the modifier like I copied of yours? And am I doing something wrong in how I do it? Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
Here is what I changed and the result
  • Retract modifier midpoint moved to 56,100
  • LG bottom moved center x rotation from 0 to -58
  • LG top moved center x rotation from 0 to 89

just fine tune the centerpoints and the curve between 0 and 56 on the modifier and you should be golden. although the piece with the constant degrees per second should be LG lever top not the wieght bairing portion of the landing gear but that is something That only super scale modeler would worry about
Attached Files
File Type: rfx Douglas DC-4 mod_AV.RFX (381.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-08-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post

just fine tune the centerpoints and the curve between 0 and 56 on the modifier and you should be golden. although the piece with the constant degrees per second should be LG lever top not the wieght bairing portion of the landing gear but that is something That only super scale modeler would worry about
Thanks I'll give this a good look. I appreciate your help because I wanted the landing gear to look better as it operated, it worked but not perfect. I will admit I'm a bit confused on a couple of things you said but I'll ask about that after I look at your AV. Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:

I just took a close look at your AV and played with the numbers some to better understand what some of them did. I've never understood the 'center' adjustment but after seeing how you used it.. it's just the angle the part is 'at' when the servo is centered. Ha.. exactly what the help text says. Anyway thanks for doing this for me it really helps make the gear look right when it's operating. You ARE the man.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:47 PM

I thought I'd take some time and work on the DC-4 fuselage. I reworked it once today and remapped it but it didn't turn out so well so I'm in the process of changing it again. I thought I'd round it out more so the windows would be where they should be but my first pass didn't work out so well. It's better than it was but still needs some work to get it where it should be. Anyway I thought I'd give a short update on what I'm working on.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:27 PM

Always one more thing to make perfect .. but I guess that's why your models are so good.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:53 PM

I finished reworking the fuselage to get the windows centered on the widest part of the fuselage it's not perfect because I have a segment in the center and the windows are just above that segment but it's much better than it was before. I need to fix a couple of issues with some stripes because the position of the parts changed a bit but I'll fix that tomorrow I guess. After that if anyone wants a new beta let me know and I'll upload one but that and a small change to the windscreen is the only changes. Legoman might want to see it since he's the one that mentioned it. I may need to shelf this project for a bit after that and finally do the upgrades to our fileserver. I have a bad habit of putting everything off and just modeling.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I finished reworking the fuselage to get the windows centered on the widest part of the fuselage it's not perfect because I have a segment in the center and the windows are just above that segment but it's much better than it was before. I need to fix a couple of issues with some stripes because the position of the parts changed a bit but I'll fix that tomorrow I guess. After that if anyone wants a new beta let me know and I'll upload one but that and a small change to the windscreen is the only changes. Legoman might want to see it since he's the one that mentioned it. I may need to shelf this project for a bit after that and finally do the upgrades to our fileserver. I have a bad habit of putting everything off and just modeling.
I trust you got it but a screen shot or two would suit me.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I trust you got it but a screen shot or two would suit me.
Okay here's three screen shots for you. (fuselage before change, fuselage after change, and a shot down the side of the fuselage after change) You can see what I mentioned before there's a segment right in the middle of the fuselage and the windows are just above that segment so they still aren't in the perfect center of the widest part of the fuselage but compared two what it was before they're much better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Douglas DC-4 61a.jpg (68.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Douglas DC-4 61b.jpg (68.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Douglas DC-4 61c.jpg (66.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 02:32 PM

And here's the picture I used to go by. And I have to admit after looking at all these pictures I'm still not happy with it. I think it's a little too round on the sides it needs to be pulled in some. And maybe before changing it at all scale it down 2 to 5 percent before working on the sides. Ugh !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Douglas DC-4 62.jpg (68.2 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by technoid; 09-11-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:21 PM

They say the third time is a charm so I think I have it now, at least it looks like it's suppose to. I haven't put in in RF yet but I think this one will work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Douglas DC-4 63.jpg (128.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-11-2019, 11:47 PM

I think that looks great Tech. It`s looking more "scale" as it progresses....
Old 09-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
They say the third time is a charm so I think I have it now, at least it looks like it's suppose to. I haven't put in in RF yet but I think this one will work.
Looks great
Old 09-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
i agree looks excellent
Old 09-12-2019, 02:00 PM

Thanks guys I just finished importing it into RealFlight and the fuselage definitely looks better than it did the first time so I'll go with it. While I was there I updated my physics to include the modification legoman helped me with to get the retracts looking better. Of course I'll need to go back and remap the fuselage again for these changes so a bit more work before I'm finished with this mod.

I guess the next thing I'll do is cut in the wheel wells and add the gear doors. After that I'll add a few small parts to finish it out. (tail skid, top and bottom antennas) Ha.. but right now I'm on break for a bit.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:01 PM

Now it just needs the windows made bigger/wider .. no really it looks great

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: