Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G4
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 04:20 AM

Harbor Freight Wild Hawk and mods

I have a few Wild Hawks. They are an excellent value for the price. You can usually pick one up from Harbor Freight for $69.99. If you use one of those 25% off any one item that brings the price down below $60 bucks Ready To Fly. I try to keep one in "stock" form as a trainer for the kids to fly that stop by the park to watch me fly my other planes. It is pretty cool to have something that "anybody" can fly on hand.

On one of my hawks I extended the nose by about 2 inches with EPP foam to use a 3S lipo and a cheap outrunner without adding additional ballast to get the CoG right. Chopped wing tips and ailerons make this one a very fun "aerobatic trainer." The plane is virtually indestructible.

I plan on modeling my non-stock wild hawks for RealFlight, but I figured a good place to start was with the stock models. I will post the modified hawks as I get them done. Maybe I'll post some pictures of the mods I made if there is interest.

Wild Hawk (stock with wheels)

The wheels on this plane are very small and do more damage than good. Is usually best just to take them off and land in the grass.

Wild Hawk (belly lander)

Wild Hawk (4 channel with clipped wing tips)

Last edited by Haiduk; 12-23-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:45 PM

Nice

Fantastic Haiduk

I can wait to unwrap my G4 that is under the tree and DL all your models They look like grate fun.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:06 PM

I AM SO HAPPY YOU DID THAT! I have been looking for this model as it's the plane I'm going to buy after New Years. I watched the Youtube videos from Dave Powers of RCPowers.com and he souped up his with a cool ParkJet supersonic V2 and man that thing flies! Can take off from belly landing and no gear with no problem.

Finally I have something to practice with. Thanx!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 PM

I see everyone touting the Supercub for beginners ( piffle! ).

This is a MUCH better entry level plane and cheaper to boot.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiduk
It is pretty cool to have something that "anybody" can fly on hand.
Watch what you say. My father was out watching me fly my Easy Star over the canyon one day... I let him have the stick, and he managed to bury my plane's nose in the dirt in less than 5 seconds.

I've seen something similar in a local store here. Does that one have notches in the wings where you *could* add aileron servos if you wanted to?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:00 PM

I like the high, rear mounted engine, along with it being a fairly substantial foamy, should take abuse pretty well. One thing I don't like but will live with is that cheapo radio it comes with. I hear it's a bit to get used to as it's only one stick...
Old 12-22-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomXP411
Watch what you say. My father was out watching me fly my Easy Star over the canyon one day... I let him have the stick, and he managed to bury my plane's nose in the dirt in less than 5 seconds.
My Wild Hawks prove to be extremely durable with just a bit of fiberglass reinforced strapping tape at strategic places to help the weak points of the fuselage. The manual that ships with the Wild Hawk claims the plane is made from EPP foam, but it is actually EPO foam. Almost identical to the foam in the Easy Star or the Parkzone T28 and the newer Parkzone Corsair. It will break if the surface tension is compromised. A bit of strapping tape solves that. I watched my Wild Hawk slam into an oil barrel type garbage can hard enough to push it back several inches. We just readjusted the wings in the fuselage, double checked the control surfaces, and the bird was back in the air. The foam recovers from compression very well. Ideal for absolute beginners.

I have been able to use regular super glue with this foam without it attacking it. Super glue works well to fix small cracks at the field. In those cases where the foam actually breaks in two, gorilla glue is ideal. 5 minute Epoxy doesn't seem to hold well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tape1.jpg (183.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg tape2.jpg (267.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg tape3.jpg (428.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg tape4.jpg (222.9 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by Haiduk; 12-22-2008 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:23 PM

Found the camera.

Wanted to share some of the mods I've done to these Wild hawks.

First the aileron mod: There weren't any "notches" for the ailerons. I just measured to make sure they were somewhat even on both wings. I used a length of bamboo chopstick to strengthen each aileron and used a "fuel line" linkage/servo saver.

Take note of this wing. It has survived over a year of absolute beginners punishment without completely breaking even once. The two dents near the center of the leading edge are from two different "goal post" collisions. Those dents could have been completely avoided with a piece of strapping tape down the leading edge. (see previous post). The resulting cartwheel after hitting the goal posts would have probably still happened.

The "fuel line" linkage simply holds two pushrods with small loops bent in the ends together. It holds strong enough to not slip during aggressive flight, but slips before turning the servo arm if the control surface is wrenched. Makes for very easy field trim adjustments and saves the servo from stripping when the plane hits something more solid than it is.

I also extended the tail-feathers for a bit more authority in smaller fields. Note the "fuel line" linkages are used here too. I simply laminated a bamboo skewer between two sheets of meat packing foam with gorilla glue. Shaped via sanding, some light spackle, and water based polyurethane.

Last mod was the extended nose. I extended the nose to use a lighter weight lipo battery further forward so I don't have to add additional nose weight. I used some EPP foam I had laying around. Cut out two halves, dug out a channel for the battery with a hot wire cutter made from a wood burning "pen." I finished the foam by priming it with a watered down coat of artists jesso (50/50). Light weight spackle. A couple layers of "used" dryer sheets applied with WBPU. Touch up with Light weight spackle to a very nice finish. The dryer sheets eliminate the need for strapping tape. Makes kind of a rubbery shell around the spongy EPP core. This whole nose assembly was attached to the rest of the fuselage with gorilla glue. A very durable shock absorber.

EDIT: Added the 4 channel version of the Wild Hawk to the swaps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg aileron1.jpg (420.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg aileron2.jpg (406.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg tail feathers.jpg (392.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg tail feather2.jpg (401.1 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg long nose.jpg (403.3 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Haiduk; 12-23-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:52 AM

Finally got the video edited of my clipped wingtip 4 channel Wild Hawk. Shows pretty well how durable the airframe is. I counted a total of 10 "crashes" (some edited out) all of which would have turned an EPS bird into confetti. Was a bit of damage for the night, but it only took about 5 minutes of repair time after getting home from the field.

We are flying in a small football field that has a running track around it. Not a whole lot of area.

First pilot is my brother-in-law.
Last pilot is my Dad.
Both pilots tonight are still very much "learning."

I almost landed on the plane I made for Kevin for Christmas. (I had to keep that in the video :P)

Definitely a fun airplane for the money.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 AM

RCPowers.com shows a video where Powers replaced the motor with a slick upgrade and they now sell that as a kit on their site. That thing FLIES with his upgrade, to include ability for some light aerobatics. I'm thinking of getting that combination, can start out with the original and then upgrade once comfortable with it.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
I see everyone touting the Supercub for beginners ( piffle! ).

This is a MUCH better entry level plane and cheaper to boot.
I would have to agree. I have very few reservations about letting just about anyone fly one of my Wild Hawks. Even solo. The first pilot (my brother-in-law) in the video in my previous post was flying my 4 channel hawk as his first aileron plane. If you watch him fly you will see the typical mistake new pilots do. He held aileron through the turn and it winged over into the ground. No damage. Second attempt ended with a fairly brutal full throttle nose in from about 30-40 feet. No damage. His third flight he flew most of the rest of the battery.

We went through 3 batteries with fairly new pilots in that video, I counted 10 "crashes" that each would have probably made the Super Cub unflyable (at least until repaired). After the evening, there was minor damage to the Hawk, but it took no more than 5 minutes of repair time once to the shop. None of the damage made the hawk unsafe to fly. Just minor cracks and a somewhat loose wing.

I really enjoy watching new pilots improve their flying skill in just an evening of flying. Almost as much as I like building and flying myself.

Chromenut,
I did order a brushless/esc combo. Waiting for the shipment to arrive to install it. I may post pics of the mods if you like and maybe a new video too. We will see. The tired year old stock brushed motor still pulls the plane around, it's weak, but it still works good enough until I get the brushless installed.

Last edited by Haiduk; 01-03-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 PM

Finally got the new brushless outrunner installed. It rises off the ground without wheels at 1/2 throttle (even wet grass)

Installed:
$15 TR 28-26 1650Kv Brushless Outrunner with an APC 8x6SF prop trimmed down to 7x6 for more blade area than a standard 7x6SF prop.
$17 TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Controller
$15 Rhino 1550mAh 3S 11.1v 20C Lipoly Pack
2 $4 HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo

Is currently being flown with a Harbor Freight P51 Mustang transmitter and a GWS R4 PII JR 4Ch FM Pico Receiver 72mhz.

I am truly amazed at the accuracy of RealFlight, the model flies almost exactly the same as my Modified Wild Hawk does in RealLife.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hawk03.jpg (137.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg hawk04.jpg (142.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg hawk05.jpg (123.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg hawk06.jpg (95.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg hawk07.jpg (84.9 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Haiduk; 01-11-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:47 AM

Nice...

The Hawk's looking a bit worst for wear and tear...

A light painting, and your good.

---

Re: G4.5

Yeah, and it will also display the same in flight quirks the real models do.

It's quite amazine to see a G4 plane respond in a way that was not anticipated but mimics the real thing. exactly.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
Nice...

The Hawk's looking a bit worst for wear and tear...

A light painting, and your good.

I lengthened the nose by 3", shrunk soda bottle canopy, reinforced the fuselage and wings with carbon fiber, fiberglassed the airframe, and way over motored it (TR 35-30A 1700kv Brushless Outrunner (Eq AXi 2808) spinning an 8x7.5 prop). Now easily does 70 mph and does all the aerobatics I care to throw at it (except 3d stuff). Very fun little plane.

It's kinda ugly if ya don't like green, but I can definitely tell which way it's goin' in the air. You really wouldn't know this is a Wild Hawk unless I told you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010050.JPG (294.9 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Haiduk; 03-12-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 AM

What do you think it would take to put the Wild Hawk on water?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: