Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G4
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 04:48 PM

MSI video card and voice echo in virtual flight instruction

Hello. I'm new to RealFlight and fancy video/sound cards. Just for realflight, I had a computer built from a local recommended guy. After reading a bit of stuff here, I determined that it would be good to get a 512Mb Nvidia card or and ATI (?) card. I told the guy this specifically and he said no problem. What the invoice says when I got the comp is "msi pciex12 nvidia 8400gs w/512 Mb ram video card." Did he give me some cheap knock-off? Or does MSI make Nvidia? Should I complain and make him put an Nvidia in there?

It seems to work fine (but the second start-up (of like 10 start-ups now) I there was a glitch and I hit "reset defaults" (though I never changed anything previously).

Also, the virtual flight trainer voice has an echo/skip, no matter which one I choose. I clicked on the little sound icon at the lower right of my computer "Realtek HD Audio Manager" and made sure that all effects are turned off. Is RF known to have and problem with the voices on trainer? Did the guy sell me a crap sound card? I think he said it is integrated into motherboard- asusp5gcmx133333.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonemachine
I determined that it would be good to get a 512Mb Nvidia card or and ATI (?) card. I told the guy this specifically and he said no problem. What the invoice says when I got the comp is "msi pciex12 nvidia 8400gs w/512 Mb ram video card." Did he give me some cheap knock-off? Or does MSI make Nvidia? Should I complain and make him put an Nvidia in there?
Don't worry you have an "Nvidia" card Nvidia does NOT make graphics cards (at least not that normal people like us can buy) they make the GPU. Many other companies including MSI buy the GPU's from Nvidia and build their own version of the graphics card based on reference designs provided by Nvidia.

As far as your sound problem, there was another guy posting here a couple weeks ago with the same problem. Don't remember the thread title but if you search I'm sure you'll find it. One possible cause mentioned was having an on-board sound card AND an add-on sound card, with both enabled at the same time. Do a little digging and you'll find that thread, maybe it will have an answer for you.

DH
Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 PM

Tonemachine:

Integrated audio adapters are much like integrated video adapters...

They do a rudimentary job, but they are hardly what you want for sims and games which tend to max out the computers they are run on.

That said...

Open your mixer for your sound board.

You'll notice that there is a mixing board for audio INPUT and another one for audio OUTPUT.

Both the Input and Output "boards" have a master volume as well.

Mute ALL of your inputs.

Mute all of your outputs EXCEPT the "Master" and "Wave" outputs... then try G4.5 again.

If you have a desktop unit consider purchasing a Soundblaster board... for a miserly $24.00 you can obtain an excellent audio card ( www.newegg.com ) that has it's own audio processing chip with far more power than the "host based" Realtek audio interface.

Install it on your system and disable the on board Realtek interface in the bios.

This will put less of a load on the CPU, permitting better performance in G4.5, while giving you a richer audio feature set.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:23 PM

Sound card

Thank you VERY much for the info. I'll definitely get a new sound card if that is all it is. I assume that 7.1 is overkill and your recommended $25, 5.1 card is all I need since I have only a 3 speaker, 2 channel system.

FYI- I believe I correctly followed your instructions with muting specified things in the mixer (the mixer that popped up when I clicked the Realtek Icon in the lower right of comp screen) but I still have the echo problem. Just for the heck of it, I'm going to search the board as suggested by the other person who responded but I'll heed your advice and get a seperate sound card nonetheless. Again, thanks!

Tony
Old 01-28-2009, 09:58 AM

On a long shot, I reinstalled my Real Flight 4.0 and then re-downloaded 4.5 from the website and the "echo" is gone. The planes sound different now, too, they no longer have that "out of phase" sound that you get from two slightly out of tune instruments played simultaneously.

I don't know what was going on. Anyone have any speculation?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjkssmd
Sorry, I ran out about a week ago. The manufacturer has promised a new shipment any day now.
Lol

wjkssmd: Thus it begins... a lighthearted comment like that will be pounced upon as being "insulting" to newbies... and we'll have you firmly over to the "dark side" shortly thereafter...

tonemachine:

Specifically no, but I can speculate...

Audio settings for G3/G4 are kept in the realflight.ini file.
You probably deleted any such files when you uninstalled the program, thereby allowing them to be recreated later.

You may have been able to forgo the re-install by "resetting" G4 to it's defaults via the launcher or first removing the Realflight.ini file and starting the sim.

Otherwise the SAME G4 files should exist in the program folder as before you did all of this.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:43 PM

Echo Caused by Physics Speed

I have g3.5 and find that whenever the physics speed (in settings) is set to anything but 100 I get the audio problem in the v-instructor... FYI.

-P
Old 02-25-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfolger
I have g3.5 and find that whenever the physics speed (in settings) is set to anything but 100 I get the audio problem in the v-instructor... FYI.

-P
That's not a bug, that's a feature!

All kidding aside, one would think that having the same playback speed that was used to record the tutorials would be requisite.

KE made let us adjust playback speeds for other purposes, so they elected not to lock down the software to force a 100% speed setting.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:10 AM

I fixed it and verified the problem

I tried to set the physics to 100 and the sound immediately started working correctly. No more echo or skip while using the instructor training. Thanks for the tip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: