Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight G4
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 11:22 AM

Electrifly Edge 540 comparison

Hi I've flown the Electrifly Edge 540 in Real flight for a little while and want to know if anyone knows how this compares to the actual plane in actual flight. The reason is because I hate how it flies in the sim. I am interested in purchasing the Electrifly Extra 330S, but will not if this plane flys anything like the Edge does in the sim. What do you guys know?
Old 06-06-2009, 12:07 PM

Sim planes, just like their real world counterparts, can be setup differently from one to the other. If you don't like how it flies, it can be adjusted. This applies for real models and sim models.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:49 PM

RF to Great Planes is more that just another product that they sell for profit
but also serves the dual purpose of a promotional tool for sales of their other products as well
(but in this case it may be backfiring )
as the Electrifly 540 is also Great Planes product (like RF)
Being that the Electrifly edge 540 is a "stock" air craft
the KE designers
who 3dmodel for them usually get the physics close to the real thing
they have a vested interest to do so
( as you can tell KE wants to put out a product that is as close to real as possible ........and in that KE has done a phenomial job!!)
In that they know that its performance in RF can influence sales of the R.L. model
I'd bet that the physics are VERY close to the real thing !!!!
( as a stock one as sold , unmodified ,put together to spec.)
if not even (Cough Cough) "enhanced "a little
but I'll have to defer (like you did ) to someone who has actually flown one in RL
to make a judgment as to it's accuracy

Last edited by Maj. Numbskully; 06-06-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Maybe the best way I can help you out here is with a real life example.

I liked to fly the Great Planes Combat Spitfire (electric version) in RealFlight so much that I went and bought the real thing.

With the recommended throws for aileron and elevator, the real thing was a dog in the air. Not even close to how it performed in Real Flight. A roll for example with the standard throws with the real aircraft produced one GIANT circle before completing the roll, with a huge loss in altitude at the bottom of the roll, if you get my meaning. In Real Flight the roll was very tight with no loss in altitude.

However, all I had to do was adjust the throws for more deflection and I was able to get the same performance out of the real plane as I could in Real Flight.

My example is actually the other way around as to what you are saying, but what I am trying to tell you is the same as the others. Flight characteristics can be tweaked the way you want to. I am sure with the right tweaking, you will be able to get the real plane to perform just how you want it.

I am sure there are exceptions with some of the trainer planes. But an Edge 540 is no trainer. You can probably get as radical or as mellow as you want to with that plane.

Hope this helps..................
Old 06-06-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akz28
With the recommended throws for aileron and elevator, the real thing was a dog in the air. Not even close to how it performed in Real Flight. if you get my meaning. In Real Flight the roll was very tight with no loss in altitude.
that's what I meant by....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj. Numbskully
if not even (Cough Cough) "enhanced "a little
but I'll have to defer (like you did ) to someone who has actually flown one in RL
to make a judgment as to it's accuracy
But he is correct all planes are "tweakible "
Old 06-06-2009, 02:36 PM

For the record:

I purchased the Electrifly Reactor 3D because I liked the perfomance of the plane in G4 so much.

When I went to built the plane, I noticed that the sim used a different motor than the recommended.

I purchased the same motor used in the sim, and adjusted my throws for max rates and put the C.G. TO MY LIKING ( not what the manual or G4.x says ).

I was quite pleased with the plane, and a few very minor changes to the sim model, resulted in an exact duplication of the real thing.

So the sim can be VERY close as sit comes, and a bit more tweaking can make it as good as it can get on a computer.

However also remember that some planes have characteristics that you may not be used to...

e.g. the Edge and some Extra's will drop a wing when they get slow, and tend to be "snap happy"...
Old 06-06-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose
However also remember that some planes have characteristics that you may not be used to...

e.g. the Edge and some Extra's will drop a wing when they get slow, and tend to be "snap happy"...
The snappiness is more of an Edge thing, from what I've seen. Extras are pretty stable, as far as high performance aircraft go.

I agree that the handling characteristics are bad on the GP Edge in the sim. I would hope that it wouldn't be like that in real life. I fly a 54" electric Yak, and a Multiplex Acro Master on a regular basis, and they're both quite stable. The Yak is only "snap-happy" on ridiculously high rates on the elevator.

Like everyone has mentioned, you can adjust your real plane to a certain extent, but if the airframe design isn't good, you can still have crappy handling.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the GP Edge when you can get beautiful flying versions of it from 3D Hobby Shop in a couple different sizes.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler P

I agree that the handling characteristics are bad on the GP Edge in the sim. I would hope that it wouldn't be like that in real life.
It's about the same, but with the real plane you end up adjusting the C.G. to help compensate.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: