Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G3 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:31 PM

"Cutting Control Surfaces" Step by Step in Wings3D

Okay I feel that after ALL the help that all the veteran modeler's on here gave me when I was starting out and learning (actually I am STILL learning every day I model) There was one particular modeler that went above and beyond what he needed to. I would have been feed up with all of my questions if I were him, but he kept helping no matter how dumb my questions were! THANKS you know who you are!

So long story short......I feel like I should also give back and help people trying to learn the basics of 3D models (especially those that will be using Wings3D)

I read on this forum all the time about: How do you make a "cut" more so how do you make a control surface. I myself could not understand this in the least when I first started. I am very bad a reading and learning...but if I "see" it done once I'll catch on just like that.

So here is a step by step process of cutting a simple Aileron out of a basic wing shape. Please follow along and read each explination for the coresponding picture.

I hope the pictures upload in order.........

#1. In this picture I have the wing with the aileron edges in the correct spots (I have the wing "see through" and the red indictates every line is selected (this was so you could clearly see each line)

#2. Have the "line triangle" selected on the upper middle menu (see the 4 different triangles to choose from. Select the second from the left) At this time select ONLY the outer edges of the aileron DO NOT select the trailing edge or any line segments inside of the aileron. Make sure you select both the TOP and Bottom

#3. I changed to the normal view (non "see through") so you can see the outline of the aileron better. At this time RIGHT CLICK the mouse and then select "Loop Cut"

#4. After you hit "Loop Cut" this is how it will appear. Notice now in the "Geometry Graph" in the right hand corner of the screen, there are now two pieces (Wing and Wing Cut2) if you right click Wing Cut2 you can rename it to Aileron.

Last edited by pplace; 07-27-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:41 PM

Part 2

#5. Now in the "Geometry Graph" click on the icon of the eye for the Aileron That will "hide" the Aileron for a while. You can now see where the aileron used to be in the wing. You'll notice that the edges are all messed up. You will now want to select the "Vertices Triangle" 1st triangle on the left in the upper menu. Now the selectable edges will disappear and small black dots will apear at each intersection where the lines were.

As you can see I have selected the inner most "dots" of the aileron cut out (Do this for the top and bottom (ONLY two "dots" at a time!!!) After you have the two correct dots selected hit the "C" button. This will connect the "dots" and you will see the corner of the aileron cut out look correct now!

#6. Do that for the remaining "dots" remember ONLY two "dots" at a time (upper and lower) In the picture I have more selected only to show which ones still needed to be connected.

#7. At this time I switched back to the "Edge Triangle" and selected the complete wing so you could see how it looks (see the new edges in the corners of the aileron cut out?!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:52 PM

Part 3

#8. I have now hidden the wing and made the aileron visible again. You are able to see that the aileron is "hollow" the edges are not connect how they should be. At this time select the "dots" like you did on the wings and "C" connect the correct "dots" to eachother (top and bottom) I have the two correct corner ones selected in this picture

#9. All the "dots" are connected and the complete aileron is selected so you can see how it should look.

#10. At this point the aileron could be finished if you wanted. BUT if you would like to make it more realistic you will need to "Bevel" the front edge of the aileron.
So select the "Face Triangle" 3rd triangle from the left in the upper menu. Then select the front of the aileron, "RIGHT CLICK" and select "Bevel"

#11. Now take your mouse and slide it side to side and you cand bevel as much or as little as you would like. "LEFT CLICK" when you are satisfied

#12. Here is the finished wing from the top looking down. You can clearly see the wing and the aileron are seperate. (I sometimes like to select the side faces of the ailerons and "narrow" it up so there are gaps on the edges (more realistic again)

I hope this helps anyone that is interested in learning. This process works exactly the same for: Ailerons, Flaps, Rudder, Elevators, Slats, Gear Doors, Cutting Canopies.........etc.!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this
Old 07-27-2007, 02:37 PM

i get stuck on the dots part
Old 07-27-2007, 03:21 PM

did you "hide" either the aileron or the wing yet?? if so switch to the "vert triangle" so you can choose the "dots" then select only two dots at a time and connect them to make the corners of the wing and the aileron. I say only 2....as in the dot on the top of the wing and the coresponding dot on the bottom of the wing.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:34 PM

like this ? the sides look like there together but i hope i did it right because whe i didnt bevel it it looked like it was still conected but i hope its not here is a pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ailerons2.JPG (74.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-27-2007, 06:36 PM

[QUOTE=pplace] After you have the two correct dots selected hit the "C" button. This will connect the "dots" and you will see the corner of the aileron cut out look correct now! QUOTE]
just a side point pplace, you hace to make sure the mouse pointer is in the main portion of the wings screen for the "c" key to have the desired effect.
also, if CAPS LOCK IS ON, you will have different outcome when key's are pushed.
(at least in the version of wings i have)
crashed
Old 07-27-2007, 06:42 PM

WHat is it right or not
cause if its not i give up

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: