Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight G5 & G4 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2010, 07:38 PM

In BODY mode ( b ) ) or the full RED cube top center menu. ) ) Select all the sperate objects and them COMBINE. This will only make then all together as a group so you can scale them and move them all around as one object. It will not really join them all up from end to end.

Start a New project in wings 3d , make a cylinder. Rotate it down so it lays dawn line a fuselage. Extrude one end out a but ( in face mode ) scale that face, extrude it out a gain, scale it again and so on and so on. Just to get a feel of the extrude command.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 PM

Both "WELD" and "BRIDGE" really make two parts into one, but you have to prep the mating surfaces before they work. Play with these as well, to learn haow they work.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:28 AM

Cool, thanks. I think I'm about done with the modeling. Now I just need to map it. I noticed that the UV mapping feature has 9 channels. What's the difference?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Valkyrie.jpg (114.8 KB, 22 views)
It's three-season mission: to explore fake, foamy new worlds, to violate the prime directive (interfere with new life and new civilizations), to boldly go where no TV series has gone before (and sacrifice some red shirts doing so...)
Old 08-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Another mapping question: I saw your thread about mapping, and I noticed that you put the fuselage onto a blank slate. How did you do this?
It's three-season mission: to explore fake, foamy new worlds, to violate the prime directive (interfere with new life and new civilizations), to boldly go where no TV series has gone before (and sacrifice some red shirts doing so...)
Old 08-06-2010, 09:18 AM

The 9 channel ( different colors ) are like choices, if you selected the top of the wing and picked blue and bottom side of the wings and picked red Each colored surface will get mapped to the temporary map area in a different place. You can use the color over and over again if it is a complicated model as long as the same colors are not touching

( see Pic in this post. ) http://knifeedge.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=56

That other window ( the blank slate ) will appear after you pick the UV mapping option as long as you have some surfaces selected.

Start out simple I suggest mapping a few simple shapes first or one of your wheels.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:44 PM

Okay, so I've begun mapping, but I also have another question. There are several pivot points on the actual XB-70. Should those be seperate parts on my model? (Because my wing is all one piece.)
Old 08-06-2010, 12:54 PM

Send a message via ICQ to flexible Send a message via AIM to flexible
Save this, then change the g3x, to read .zip, then it will open. You're pivots and Hierarchy have to be done outside of Wings.
Attached Files
File Type: g3x Mapping in Wings 3D for Dummies.g3x (6.52 MB, 3 views)

Wings 3D for dummies
Mapping in Wings 3D for Dummies
Pivots in Max for Dummies
Linking the Hierarchy in Max for Dummies
Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 PM

I can't do heirarchy and pivots in wings? How can I do it, then (short of pricey programs.)
Old 08-06-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF-23ace
I can't do heirarchy and pivots in wings? How can I do it, then (short of pricey programs.)
no. The only free way is to use Blender. If you figure that out, please share. Oh, the other phree method is to email phrank.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn
no. The only free way is to use Blender. If you figure that out, please share. Oh, the other phree method is to email phrank.
Ummm, yes that would be another option.

Prep your model as best you can. I do not perform further edits besides mapping, pivots and hierarchy.
Unless the model is really messed up, then I'll probably send it back to get it fixed.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:25 PM

I dunno phrank, between flexibles mapping in Wings 3D tutorial, and other help you find on the Internet, I'd probably make people learn how to map, after one freebie, of course!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:47 PM

Thanks. I've got the hang of mapping, but I will post what pivot points the plane should have if anyone's interested.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:10 PM

I'm basically done with the mapping, except for some trouble spots (elevons and fuselage.) So if someone wants to finish those and do the heirarchy and pivot points?...

Pivot points: canard flaps, elevons, landing gear, rudders, possible bomb bay doors? (probably not.)

If anyone's interested, it's ready to be emailed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nearly Done.jpg (71.1 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-06-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YF-23ace
I'm basically done with the mapping, except for some trouble spots (elevons and fuselage.) So if someone wants to finish those and do the heirarchy and pivot points?...

Pivot points: canard flaps, elevons, landing gear, rudders, possible bomb bay doors? (probably not.)

If anyone's interested, it's ready to be emailed.
Are you going to map the fuse too? Also don't forget to save the map of the plane...

Fly 'em till the rotor comes off!

There is a line between what is normal and what is crazy and I think we all just crossed that line. Yes, we definitely crossed the line with this topic.
It has been a pleasure Posting with you and flying with you guys, after we are all banned forever till we die, we will just have to find something else to do, and in the end Break it!!

-csgill75
Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 PM

Well, I'm not really sure how to show the fuselage map from the side view. When I try to map it, it shows up as some weird circle thingy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: