Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
You will need this. First post has a setup tut that MUST be followed.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28009
Also, make sure you get the correct version of Python. It must match exactly the version of Blender you are using. For Blender 2.49b that is Python 2.6.2.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsonman View Post
Well, to be nitpicky.... your flaps should be split flaps. All MKs of spittys did not have full flaps.
Thanks for that, I can split the flaps, but I'm still trying to figure out how all the hinges and connections work.

Looking through the parts bin, I can see both tail gear and main gear wheels and struts, so I think I have all parts needed, just not the knowledge how to put it all together.

I've never done any 3D modelling at all, so the guides can be a bit daunting, however I shall persist.

I was stuck trying to get the spitfire from wings to blender, but i've just seen that I missed a step (thanks abaser for the link) so will need to restart the blender install process.

Thanks again to all for your help, maybe one day I can fly my wonky spitfire in G6!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed_Sanders View Post
I was stuck trying to get the spitfire from wings to blender, but i've just seen that I missed a step (thanks abaser for the link) so will need to restart the blender install process.
In wings, export what you have. I use .3ds but .obj might actually be better. Then import that into blender. You will find that the parts have been renamed, etc. It is quite a pain in the neck. (Part of why Abaser and I are using Blender for all our modeling, even though it is somewhat more complicated to learn than Wings).
Old 03-08-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
In wings, export what you have. I use .3ds but .obj might actually be better. Then import that into blender. You will find that the parts have been renamed, etc. It is quite a pain in the neck. (Part of why Abaser and I are using Blender for all our modeling, even though it is somewhat more complicated to learn than Wings).
Each type has its drawbacks. For me, it was the 3ds files lost naming and were triangulated wierd. Obj files came through better, but the materials didn't seem to transfer over. If a part was baked (colored but not mapped) it would only show as white in blender. There was no editing the materials either. That was the big problem for me in the transfer. I would spend more time trying to fix issues from the switch than I would spend doing pivots and linking.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:00 PM

Just so you know, you can model in any version of Blender you like EXCEPT those that support bmesh (that you must activate right now).The current version is 2.62 I believe, but do not activate the b mesh, it will eat you faces when you go back to 2.49b. Ask me how I know. However, currently you can only export the .kex file out of 2.49b. Im currently trying my best to get that changed, but we will have to wait and see on that.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:14 PM

Quote:
so I think I have all parts needed, just not the knowledge how to put it all together.

I've never done any 3D modelling at all, so the guides can be a bit daunting, however I shall persist.
This is how I got into it. Persist because you love it. I had zero background in this stuff and now I am making cad drawings for airplanes I intend to build. I'm certainly not the best here but I do have some strong points. It took me several models to learn how to make proper scale gear. It is an art.

You are doing just fine.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 PM

I'm stuck!

Abaser; I'm stuck on the first step of your guide.
Basically I cant work out the script side. I can't download the blender version on your tutorial, only 262. Then I cant find the 'scripts config editor'.

Also in the 'import' from blender wont recognise .obj files and the .wings that I changed to .3ds loads a big list of errors in blenders console.

I've added a screen of the blender programme, if its helpful and a pic of the spitfire ready for connections:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blender.jpg (170.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Spitfire gear.jpg (132.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-08-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I'm stuck!

Abaser; I'm stuck on the first step of your guide.
Basically I cant work out the script side. I can't download the blender version on your tutorial, only 262. Then I cant find the 'scripts config editor'.

Also in the 'import' from blender wont recognise .obj files and the .wings that I changed to .3ds loads a big list of errors in blenders console.

I've added a screen of the blender programme, if its helpful and a pic of the spitfire ready for connections:
You absolutely must use blender 2.49b. Blender 2.62 will not work.

http://www.blender.org/development/r...s/blender-249/

Also, you don't just rename .wings to .3ds. You have to export it from wings as .3ds

Last edited by Madratter; 03-08-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
You absolutely must use blender 2.49b. Blender 2.62 will not work.

http://www.blender.org/development/r...s/blender-249/
Funny......I was just getting that link

Yes, you must have 2.49b. Madratters link will take you where you need to be. AFTER you get that going, the tut should take you to where you need to be as the interface is different. If you still get stuck, let me know here or by PM. But trying to get 2.6 to export is a waste of time at the moment.

As for the errors you are getting trying to import to Blender, I really don't know whet that could be. You could post the wings file here and Ill take a look at it and see if I get the same thing. Just add a .rfx to the end of the file name before uploading.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 PM

After sorting the export part out, I think, I still cant import the .obj file.
I have exported it from wings as .obj and when I find the file, in blender-import, it gives me the pictured options. After 'import' i get a blank screen.
I have also added the .wings.rfx, if anyone can take a quick look to see if they can get my wonky spitfire in blender, i would be most grateful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blender.jpg (151.2 KB, 5 views)
Attached Files
File Type: rfx spitfire for blender1.wings.rfx (1,015.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 PM

First off, your model is rotated incorrectly in wings. The fuselage must run along the z axis (Hope Im not backwards here). press "X". You should have the fuselage running side to side, with the tail to the left. If you point the nose of the plane to the bottom left corner of the screen, the little blue axis marker in that corner should point to the nose of the plane.

The .obj is there. It's just SO tiny, you have to really scroll in to see it. I suggest import the obj, place the cursor near the center of the screen, hit "S" to scale, and drag the cursor towards the edge of the screen. see if you get the same result. Ill check into the 3ds errors shortly.

The first pic is the default view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzz.jpg (96.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg zzz1.jpg (125.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 PM

Thanks Abaser, your a star.

Didn't I mention that I was making a micro spitfire
I wondered why when I imported mr boofs seat and tail wheel, they were so big compared!
I realised the model was built along the wrong axis over half way through, but when I tried to rotate it, all the added parts rotated in a different manner.

Well if nothing else, I hope my wonky micro spitfire gave you a giggle rather than trying your patience
Old 03-08-2012, 10:39 PM

Do you know how to set the wingspan? you are at 11.2 in. right now. In vertex mode, select the outermost 2 verts, 1 on each wing, and wings will give you the distance between them.

Also, I had no problems with the .3ds either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zzz.jpg (118.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 PM

When rotating multiple parts at the same time, do it in vertex mode. They'll rotate together. Wings tip: hold the shift key when you rotate.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 PM

I just saw something that I forgot to tell you. In the pic you posted showing the .obj import, look towards the bottom left. you will see clamp scale. Slide that to 0 for proper sizing. (BTW......I think I forgot to do that when I imported as well. Thats one reason you can't see it in the default screen. Sorry)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: