Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Designer's Corner > RealFlight 6 - Designer's Corner
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Banned

If your really serious about getting into this you want to get to know the user boof69, the guy is brilliant when it comes to problem solving and all things related to 3ds max and photoshop. He's actually one of the newer modelers around here but he is the best hands down. He is also one of the admins @ the forum in the link in my signature.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 PM

If you are familiar with skype we could set up a session and I could walk you through the process very quickly.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Many thanks oneder. I think I've got my head around the right info. And I have a 850 polygon model of a Red Arrow Hawk open in max.......I'm going in......

But I'll be back for sure...lol...and I will take you up on your offers of help.

Will be in touch.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof69 View Post
If you are familiar with skype we could set up a session and I could walk you through the process very quickly.
Hi Boof69

That is very kind of you and I do have Skype installed so would like to keep that offer open.

My only problem is I am doing "real" work at the moment so have my head deep in a rather large model of a race track. Will spend today reading up on the various techniques and methods used for Real Flight, and then edit this BAe Hawk as and when the motorsport stuff is compiling.

How about I get as far as I can go over the next xxx days, then when I get stuck and can also Wack-a-mole work quiet for a few hours, we'll have a get together.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:20 PM

That sounds great. I will only be available at the site in my sig after a few days. All of my builds will be there from now forward. Join me there when you need a hand.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM

I love the F-22. Can't wait to see it fly in Realflight.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:23 AM

Hello Again

I managed to have some luck with me today. And some good advice from you all. The low poly Hawk is in and looks "ok". 7ft wingspan. I really like the way exporting works for RealFlight, it all worked nice and smooth, no hicups. Congrats to the developers.

There is still much I have to do to make this a complete project, some of which I am totally clueless about at this stage, (I slaved it to the L-39 setup on import) but I'm pretty happy with todays results.

Now I know what is involved I will start getting the data together for the hipoly conversions. It won't happen overnight but hopefully in a week or two we'll have some new toys to play with.

I'll be back. Cheers.

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RealFlight 2013-09-15 05-06-13-52.jpg (394.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg RealFlight 2013-09-15 05-06-37-38.jpg (355.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg RealFlight 2013-09-15 05-06-57-34.jpg (337.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RealFlight 2013-09-15 05-07-08-19.jpg (441.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg RealFlight 2013-09-15 05-10-17-87.jpg (340.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-15-2013, 12:34 AM

Great feeling having something you've done into the sim, huh?

Congrats!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:37 AM

Hi Phrank. Yeah it was a lot of fun today. I'm looking forward to finding the time to do some more work with RealFlight.

Here is a short flight vid of the Hawk. (Flaps (and other control surfaces) do work, so apologies for the hot landinng.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Bi_...ature=youtu.be

I did not make progress on getting the smoke to work with a on/off switch. I read the various postings on setting up servos and playing with the radio/electics, but I think my brain gave up at that point. Also got stuck on doing another paint scheme for the Hawk. I did a basic camo version as a tga but could not find data on getting a second colour scheme to show in the menu.

But I still had a blast and I'm looking forward to learning more.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:35 PM

SimCgi: Do you happen to work for the Turn10 franchise?

It will be good to have another model creator here in the forums.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 PM

Hi Kmot

Nope, never even heard the name until right now.....sorry.

Can one of you help, I'm a bit stuck.

I am doing a conversion of the Viggen. And it has a unique-ish rear gear set up with Two wheels......I have tried all sorts of naming attempts but can't get to four rear wheels to rotate.....

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/...enthe2002a.jpg

Can it be done? If so...how.....?
Old 09-15-2013, 09:00 PM

Turn10.

Are you familiar with the Forza Motorsports game franchise?
For X-Box/X-Box 360.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:12 PM

It can be done but it's not an easy answer.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:34 AM

Thanks Boof69. I susspected it might be invovled.

My plan at the moment is to have some fun with this in the evenings as a wind down, so I dont want to melt my brian too much.

If it is a Max thing (links, hierarchy, inheritance, bones, nulls, dummys, animations, deformations etc etc), gimmie your best shot.....but if it is something I would have to do inside RealFlight or the Aircraft Editor, best leave it for now.

I will complete the model as best I can (with one rear wheel per side for now) then when models and textures are pretty much finalised, I'll come back and beg for help getting the last few bugs ironed out, if thats ok.

And thanks Hassie Very kind of you. I geuss the C-5 is on hold because of the wheels issue. I can get away with putting one on the Viggen per side....but that would look pretty goofy on the C-5 (Could I do "invisible" landing gear of the normal tri variety, maybe reaching to the ground an inch or two past the visual mesh model?? You would harldy see the wheels of the C-5 turning anyway as they will be so small).......but the rest? I'll get them converted over the coming weeks/month or two, so you can go for a fly or edit/paint them yourself.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:38 AM

It is a mixture of both max and RF. Doing multiple axis rotations in RF just doesnt give enough control so the use of a dummy object in max to be a parent of the gear and handle one axis of rotation is key. That said there is still setup to be done in max to pull it off. The gear on mt Corsair is a fair example of this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: