Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 10-04-2016, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Did everyone miss this????
i seen that as well but that does not say custom color schemes or EA models , so time will tell one way or the other
Old 10-04-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
To me this says editing, not creating new custom models and importing them.

I've got a few models with hundreds of hours put into them that I've let dust collect on that I'd love to finish and import. Without a way of doing so, I might as well free up some space on my hard drive.

Last edited by abaser; 10-04-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Hint: External Editor and Tools...

Methinks we should wait for the official announcements.
My view maybe skewed a bit because I develop for RealFlight but OP it's a bit late in the development cycle to hold back major features, the official product announcement is made and they're taking pre-orders. To me there is no good reason to hold anything back, except bad news!
Old 10-04-2016, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks OP for the opportunity to clarify my questions to Ryan.

No I didn't miss that part but for a developer that's not important. I thought I made my questions clear but maybe I fumbled the ball so I'll restate them.

1. Can you Export User Created Models from 3ds Max. (which version)
2. Can you Import those models into RF-X.

I didn't intend to confuse the issue with the Vehicle Editor built into RF 7.5 (RF-X) of course that's needed for built-in models and user created models.

There is no good reason not to allow user created models unless you don't want them any longer just release the tools used IN-HOUSE to develop the built-in planes, games do this all the time I've used the Far Cry tools myself. So allowing user created content is simply a decision to make but not that hard to do since you would simply release the tools used in-house to develop RF-X.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:16 AM

Even Phoenix allows user created content. I know making people purchase added content is a revenue stream but it would be a marketing disaster competition wise.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to GregB
Ryan, thank you for great work! I use RF exclusively for 3D and F3A, IMAX aferobatics training. Is there are any improvements of flight physics? Does the sound of the engines better?
Also, I have old question regarding translation. Does the new version supports mulibyte?
Old 10-04-2016, 05:06 AM

Quote:
... The polys in the Mustang seem identical to RF7...
If the development focus has been on getting the new engine up and running as soon as is practically possible, the models may be the same-- just the graphics are new...
Old 10-04-2016, 06:07 AM

Yeah I was thinking external editor too. I personally don't care how the editor comes about, I just want it to be somewhere .
Old 10-04-2016, 07:15 AM

Question asked and answered; RF-X does not have airport or airplane editors. period

Not at this time. Ryan hinted that it is to come, but he has a sword hanging over his head. Meaning it is not ready for this cycle of release. Stay tuned.

We all have waited a long time, and the wait is not over. The purchasing decision is yours. Just realize, to get where you want them to get, they had to start over with a different engine.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Yeah I was thinking external editor too. I personally don't care how the editor comes about, I just want it to be somewhere .
External tools are fine for me, often games will release the tools used during development shortly after release of the game and they may not be perfect but that's okay people just want the ability to add their own flavor to the game, in this case planes. So give me any tools you can and I'll use them.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to doug schluter
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
External tools are fine for me, often games will release the tools used during development shortly after release of the game and they may not be perfect but that's okay people just want the ability to add their own flavor to the game, in this case planes. So give me any tools you can and I'll use them.
i feel the same way the external tools would be fine
Old 10-04-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
Question asked and answered; RF-X does not have airport or airplane editors. period

Not at this time. Ryan hinted that it is to come, but he has a sword hanging over his head. Meaning it is not ready for this cycle of release. Stay tuned.

We all have waited a long time, and the wait is not over. The purchasing decision is yours. Just realize, to get where you want them to get, they had to start over with a different engine.
There seems to be some confusion about the different editors used maybe I can help. What is the tool built-in to RF 7.5 used to edit aircraft? I call it an editor because that's what I do with it I edit an aircraft inside RealFlight. It isn't a content creation editor but it is in fact an editor (you change things with it). So call it what you will RF 7.5 and RF-X has a built-in editor. Below in Red are the comments by Ryan that make me say this. For some reason I think some are thinking the questions about built-in editing is about a Content Creation Editor, but that is 3ds Max an external program written by someone else. The only built-in editor needed in RF-X is there according to Ryan. The question is only about the built-in Importer, which appears will not be there. Hopefully that will help the confusion. Give me an external importer, even a command line version and I'll be happy.

Quote:
I can confirm there are no editors built into RF-X. This represents a more streamlined vision for the product.

However, you can still expect to have the same deep vehicle editing capability that you have enjoyed in the past.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:58 AM

It's possible that it's not there yet but will be there in a future release or update. I know that 7.5 took 8-9 years to get it to where it is today. Realflight X has a long time to mature.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:55 PM

I like to think about the editor as the physics editor and 3dsMax (or whatever CAD program you use) as the visual editor.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
It's possible that it's not there yet but will be there in a future release or update. I know that 7.5 took 8-9 years to get it to where it is today. Realflight X has a long time to mature.
I think it's reasonable to expect the new version of any software to support the features that made it what it is. Did Microsoft remove major features moving forward.. no they kept them and expanded the software with even more features. This stuff was my job most of my life saying they couldn't keep the 3ds Exporter and Importer to move forward just isn't true. They would not be able to create RF-X if they didn't have both of them. They simply don't want user content anymore. Yes RF-X will be cool with a new graphics engine but in two years of development keeping a major feature is to be expected. But I will buy it none the less. But since I can't use the new Interlink with RF 7.5 I will only be able to buy the software version. I don't want to have to switch Interlinks each time I start a different version of RF. But I was planning to buy the full version of RF-X and a new Graphics card too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: