Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 02-15-2018, 07:06 PM

Jeremy.

I changed the RF-8 material name from ~ALPHA to ~CANOPY and renamed the three pieces of glass..

~CS_GLASS_front
~CS_GLASS_middle
~CS_GLASS_rear

.. and rebuilt and imported it to RF-8 and it worked as expected, when using the front or rear cockpit camera the glass was transparent. But when I exported it from RF-8 and imported it to RF-X the glass was still there using the Front or Rear camera, so it looks like there's a bug in the RF-X side. So I seem to be back where I started.

OH.. all three pieces of glass were in the list separated by a comma so I think I had everything right. Like I said it worked fine in RF-8 but didn't work in RF-X. So is there something else I forgot to do for RF-X?
Old 02-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Date?

Any idea when the final version of 1.5 will be complete?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:09 PM

They are waiting and responding to public comments. I guess when they feel they are done and have addressed as many issues as possible.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:27 PM

For what it's worth . . . I downloaded the vehicle editor. I don't know why I waited so long. It's mostly just like the other one built in to previous RF versions.

Anyway, I edited many of my favorite planes' main gear from the "springy" type to the corresponding not-springy type. Planes land much more realistically/like I'm used to in real life. Just my opinion but default vehicles should not be springy.

One small issue . . . when you save the edited vehicle, you need to give it a different name. No big deal, but the saved plane looses it's picture in the vehicle menu and is replaced by a nondescript outline/shadow plane. Not sure if there's something I'm missing or just what happens . . . would be nice to have the default picture stay the same.

Thanks, dja2424
Old 03-04-2018, 10:15 AM

I downloaded the update and installed without one hitch or glitch. Took several hours but was smooth as butter.

Helis sound better now... but still fly the same as in 7.5. Would like to try VR but I'm sure I don't have the machine for it yet.

I'm happy with RF8
Old 03-11-2018, 04:49 AM

Jeremy,

I wonder if we could get an update on the beta? Lot's of time has passed are you adding more content?
Old 03-11-2018, 02:35 PM

I heard they are going to have it ready by Christmas.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Administrator

We've gotten great feedback so far on this beta! Thanks to those who have recently added their own thoughts to the collection.

We don't have a target release date to share at this time. From the outset this was designed as a long-term beta. It probably will not go public soon. We have some more work to do on it, based on both our own goals and issues identified through the beta process. And it turns out we have a lot of cool things in the works right now that are vying for our attention.

We don't believe it hurts anything for this to remain a beta for now. It is not restricted in any way (except for the obvious fact that people have to know to look for it). To us, the most important thing was to put out what we had so users could experience it and we could get their feedback. With that accomplished we are comfortable taking a somewhat patient approach on this one.

In the meantime, additional feedback remains welcome, and we hope you continue to enjoy using the new features and content! Tell your friends.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:39 PM

Ryan,

Thanks for the update I was just curious and like your said you guy said in the beginning it would be a long term beta. Mostly I was wondering if there was any more content being adding since they beta is so cool even any small additions would be great. But none the less.. a super addition to RF-X and we can fly it now !
Old 03-13-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
In the meantime, additional feedback remains welcome, and we hope you continue to enjoy using the new features and content! Tell your friends.
Ya, thanks to the positive feedback from rfx users to the new beta I ordered one from Tower. I know that I will need to update it to the current beta and that it's not perfect, but who cares.

My puny gaming laptop (alienware 17 r4 i7-7700hq, 32gb ram, gtx1060) may not do to well with VR right now but I think it should work very well in non-VR. I'll let you all know.

Last edited by TomC; 03-13-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:28 AM

Thanks for trusting us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
We've gotten great feedback so far on this beta! Thanks to those who have recently added their own thoughts to the collection.

We don't have a target release date to share at this time. From the outset this was designed as a long-term beta. It probably will not go public soon. We have some more work to do on it, based on both our own goals and issues identified through the beta process. And it turns out we have a lot of cool things in the works right now that are vying for our attention.

We don't believe it hurts anything for this to remain a beta for now. It is not restricted in any way (except for the obvious fact that people have to know to look for it). To us, the most important thing was to put out what we had so users could experience it and we could get their feedback. With that accomplished we are comfortable taking a somewhat patient approach on this one.

I am so happy you let us share in the development as even this Beta is a huge step forward from the original release and using your most loyal customers to develop the product is a win, win, we get to have our input and advance access and KE gets free beta testing. Its a great partnership!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:09 AM

OK. I got my rfx disk from Tower a few days ago and installed it. I ran it and it actually seemed to work fine. I think it was version xxx.028.. I then followed Ryan's instructions on how to update this to beta 1.5.

After +8 hrs of download time (including one retry msg, which then started up again ok) it installed no problem.

I'm using an Interlink Elite controller and it works and calibrated fine.

After 2 days of heavy usage, so far everything seems to be working fine. The graphics are fantastic. Pretty well like earlier versions of RF (say, 5.5-8) photofields, but with 3D field capabilities (like camera position and zoom).

With my Alienware 17 R4 laptop (i7 7700hq 2.8/3.6ghz, 32gb ram, 250 ssd, 1tb hd, gtx1060) I am able to max out everything and I get a nice clean fullscreen 1920 x 1080 resolution, without any hiccups. The avg FPS is well above 100 fps.

With Windows Mixed Reality and Dell HS, using lower settings I managed to get 90fps with Grasslands but only ~30-40 fps elsewhere. Bottom line was that VR-LOS worked great with Grasslands, just not very well elsewhere (= stuttering, double-images, ghosting). With RF8 I have no problem maintaining 90fps on 3d fields like the Obstacle (day and night versions).

Surprisingly, in cockpit or nose view, even with lower fps, RFX VR still looks pretty good everywhere, esp. Wright Island. However, many of the rfx cockpits in VR mode are very small/cramped. The rf8 ones fell a lot better sized. With RFX I found that I mainly needed to just VR fly it using the F2 nose camera.

Overall, it seems to work fine but I kinda think that the physics in RF8 are a bit better. All my RFX planes and heli's (esp. planes) seem a lot more 'floaty'. Also, I normally like to increase the Physics (time) to 125-150% in RF8 because this speeds things up a bit and feels to me a little more real-life (= includes the pucker factor when you are actually flying/risking your aircraft). You cannot do this with rf-x. You cannot select anything above 100%.

The night flying in RF-x kinda sucks, Just a flashlight stuck onto the heli/plane, compared to RF8's leds. Also, in RF8 you have a lot of lit up things (eg. Obstacle night field).

I really need to live with both of these sims for a bit longer before I can say much more. However, my 1st impression is that overall RF8 is a better sim and RF-X is video-candy. Hopefully when the finished (non-beta) version of RFX comes out (later this year?) video-candy will work as well as RF8 and VR will be fine tuned a bit better.

Last edited by TomC; 03-17-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: added a couple of things
Old 03-23-2018, 07:37 PM

I have been getting quite a few of the "RF-X has stopped" messages recently.
Event Viewer log. As seen below in the "stopped txt file".
Attached Images
File Type: png RFX stopped.PNG (322.2 KB, 15 views)
Attached Files
File Type: txt stopped.txt (823 Bytes, 6 views)
Old 03-23-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asj5547 View Post
I have been getting quite a few of the "RF-X has stopped" messages recently.
Event Viewer log. As seen below in the "stopped txt file".
I got quite a few of these as well, esp. after VR sessions.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:33 PM

So this may or may not be related, but my GPU is shutting down my PC while running RFX. While running the program for 10-15 minutes my GTX1070 overheats and kills all video output. This is a brand new gaming system (HP Omen) and RFX is the only program I have installed on the computer.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: