Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RF-X
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Old 09-10-2019, 08:43 AM

Is it still there?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:09 PM

Dropped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jambeau View Post
Is it still there?
I’m you can still buy it on eBay but it’s no longer supported or supplied by the developer.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:01 PM

BUYER BE WARE.

It's up to you to buy a beta. RF is a beta. it always was a beta. I don't think they ever released anything that went past that. that's the risk you take. RF is a subscription. To buy the next part you pay the annual or biannual fee of 100 bucks. That comes to anywhere from $4.33 to $8.33 a month.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brields View Post
BUYER BE WARE.

It's up to you to buy a beta. RF is a beta. it always was a beta. I don't think they ever released anything that went past that. that's the risk you take. RF is a subscription. To buy the next part you pay the annual or biannual fee of 100 bucks. That comes to anywhere from $4.33 to $8.33 a month.
I suggested they put it onto steam as an early release and just keep some incremental development going. I started to wonder if they had to licence the graphics engine every year so they just put it to sleep to stop the drain?

It's so piss poor they (KE or HH) just can't tell us what happened.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellah1z View Post
I suggested they put it onto steam as an early release and just keep some incremental development going. I started to wonder if they had to licence the graphics engine every year so they just put it to sleep to stop the drain?

It's so piss poor they (KE or HH) just can't tell us what happened.
That's why I'm suspicious they didn't actually S#!tcan the project. Developers never keep those things secret Unless something is in the works. And let's not forget that KE is facing Competition From the Phoenix guys, Microsoft, and several INDE's. Look up Simpleplanes. Tones of stuf you can do with that game and it's only 12 bux. and with Jundroo making the jump to Unity 18 which is DX12, Simpleplanes1.9/ Simpleplane 2 is gonna knock the socks off of simulators of this type. All run by a team smaller than Hello Games.

Loose lips sink ships.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
That's why I'm suspicious they didn't actually S#!tcan the project. Developers never keep those things secret Unless something is in the works. And let's not forget that KE is facing Competition From the Phoenix guys, Microsoft, and several INDE's. Look up Simpleplanes. Tones of stuf you can do with that game and it's only 12 bux. and with Jundroo making the jump to Unity 18 which is DX12, Simpleplanes1.9/ Simpleplane 2 is gonna knock the socks off of simulators of this type. All run by a team smaller than Hello Games.

Loose lips sink ships.
None of those applications are in competition with realflight. Phoenix is no longer available as their publisher dropped them for Realflight. All of the others are not dedicated RC Simulators. Their closest competitors are AccuRC, Aerofly, Next, and to some extent Liftoff.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
None of those applications are in competition with realflight. Phoenix is no longer available as their publisher dropped them for Realflight. All of the others are not dedicated RC Simulators. Their closest competitors are AccuRC, Aerofly, Next, and to some extent Liftoff.
Aerofly can't compete with anything. lol
Old 09-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Aerofly can't compete with anything. lol
Aerofly RC8 is actually pretty good. I've recently purchased it since its been touted as better for VR than RF8-9 and it is much better than realflight in that regard. Physics is okay. It's not as good as RF-X for VR but since it's been canceled, we can't really compare anything to it anymore.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csgill75 View Post
Aerofly RC8 is actually pretty good. I've recently purchased it since its been touted as better for VR than RF8-9 and it is much better than realflight in that regard. Physics is okay. It's not as good as RF-X for VR but since it's been canceled, we can't really compare anything to it anymore.
Oh well Aerofly FS2 was crap but
I'll look into it. Steam only has RC7 right now though. I wonder if the 3d models could possibly be extracted. That is a nice looking B-17.

Edit: $199.00!? Heck no!

Last edited by brields; 09-18-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Oh well Aerofly FS2 was crap but
I'll look into it. Steam only has RC7 right now though. I wonder if the 3d models could possibly be extracted. That is a nice looking B-17.

Edit: $199.00!? Heck no!
Umm you have to buy RC8 from the Ikarus website not steam.

Yep its hugely expensive but you can reuse the DX interlink or the other controllers so its not that bad in that way.

I only bought RC8 for its beautiful VR and if you are just going flatscreen stick to RF9 or 8 there is no point then with RC8.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Umm you have to buy RC8 from the Ikarus website not steam.

Yep its hugely expensive but you can reuse the DX interlink or the other controllers so its not that bad in that way.

I only bought RC8 for its beautiful VR and if you are just going flatscreen stick to RF9 or 8 there is no point then with RC8.
I've used RF 8 with VR and IN MY OPINION It was stunning. Aerofly Looks good but It'll have to wait.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I've used RF 8 with VR and IN MY OPINION It was stunning. Aerofly Looks good but It'll have to wait.
Its not bad but even with a great PC it cant be run in max or you get stutters on the aircraft on max graphics because it still uses ( I guess this is the reason) such an old API DX9 which is from the early 2000's not to mention open GL as opposed to DX 12 and Vulkan.

RF9 will run at max on my flat screen and looks fluid but I am yet to find anyone here that has got it to run smoothly on a Vive Pro or other HMD's with similar specs. I have tried both Vive Pro and Samsung Odyssey and I get the same stutters with the aircraft.

Tom C helped me get it work smoothly in VR but you have to dial many of the graphics options way down.

I simply don't have to dial anything down on RC8 in VR it runs on full sliders and if you think RF9 looks good well RC8 is way ahead in VR but I don't think the physics are as good as RF9 especially for helis. Never the less I use the both and I enjoy using both.

If you can get RF9 to run at max sliders in VR and no ghosting stuttering around the the ac I would like to see how you have set up RF9 and what you are running it on. I I am on a watercooled i7 9700K all cores clocked to 5.2Ghz , a RTX 2080Ti and m2 memory and 32Gb 32000Mhz ram and like I said it still stutters in VR at max sliders in RF9.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Its not bad but even with a great PC it cant be run in max or you get stutters on the aircraft on max graphics because it still uses ( I guess this is the reason) such an old API DX9 which is from the early 2000's not to mention open GL as opposed to DX 12 and Vulkan.

RF9 will run at max on my flat screen and looks fluid but I am yet to find anyone here that has got it to run smoothly on a Vive Pro or other HMD's with similar specs. I have tried both Vive Pro and Samsung Odyssey and I get the same stutters with the aircraft.

Tom C helped me get it work smoothly in VR but you have to dial many of the graphics options way down.

I simply don't have to dial anything down on RC8 in VR it runs on full sliders and if you think RF9 looks good well RC8 is way ahead in VR but I don't think the physics are as good as RF9 especially for helis. Never the less I use the both and I enjoy using both.

If you can get RF9 to run at max sliders in VR and no ghosting stuttering around the the ac I would like to see how you have set up RF9 and what you are running it on. I I am on a watercooled i7 9700K all cores clocked to 5.2Ghz , a RTX 2080Ti and m2 memory and 32Gb 32000Mhz ram and like I said it still stutters in VR at max sliders in RF9.
I have those stutters on flatscreen so I think It's a bug in RF9 Itself.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
MMM if it is the aircraft stuttering and ghosting itself this is generally a problem due to too high setting in graphics.

Try dialing down some of the Graphics settings using the finer control settings , select Simulation‑>Settings… from the main menu, navigate to the Graphics‑>Quality settings group, then tweak individual settings. (Note that changes to some settings do not take effect until the sim is restarted.)

I dial down water effects, shadows and all that guff and I find in VR the stuttering goes away and I don't really miss the options I have dialled down so try that in flat screen.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry but this kinda gets my BS meter spinning, lol!

What exactly are your PC and VR specs?
Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my previous Alienware AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd. Asus ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus vg248qe 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: