Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Technical Support is available from Great Planes Software Support.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 02:37 AM

dx8 settings from start to finish for interface

I sold my warranty replacement interface to my buddy since i didnt want to wait for it to show up and bought the interlink version instead, but im trying to help him get it running, its using a Sim profile, that is setup as a heli, 1 servo, we plugged it in and selected it as spektrum, ran calibration, now what channels should i assign what so idle up works and throttle hold works? Its like pitch and throttle are tied together. If i goto idle up I have full pitch, if i hit throttle hold i have full neg pitch. Can i get radio settings any channel reversing? should i be in plane mode on the transmitter? And what channels should be assigned to what? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 PM

I don't know if this will help you with the latest version RF7, but I will offer it to you.

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25706

Please report back of your success or failure. Thanks
Old 11-18-2013, 01:43 PM

Re: Setting up a TX for RF7's interface. Emphasis on HELIS

First you have to understand the differences between the Interlink and the signals produced by the interface when connected to a transmitter.

In a normal transmitter, moving IDLE UP merely changes the travels and mixing of the various signals going to the servos. The same is true for THROTTLE HOLD.

Hitting the THROTTLE HOLD switch on your TX of course drops throttle OUTPUT to the throttle servo channel and modifies the travel of the other three servos ( in a heli ).

So both affect four output channels and connected servos ( think of the throttle input in an electric heli as a servo input ). These switches are NOT signals unto themselves.

On the Interlink this is not true. On the Interlink pressing the idle-up switch sends a signal to the simulator that looks identical to any other servo input. The same is true of the throttle hold function. That means the Interlink ( and Interface with SOFTWARE mixing turned on ) trigger SOFTWARE mixing functions when the sim receives input on those "channels".

In addition to this the individual planes and helis in the sim have their own rates, servo travel, idle-up channel, throttle hold channel, servo direction and expo programmed into the included or downloaded model. This is a key point to remember if you want to switch to hardware mixing ( mixing on your TX ).

So each model in the sim is programmed for the Interlink Interface not for your specific radio.

The RF7 Interface permits you to hook up your own radio.

The signals from the transmitter are sent to the sim in a manner similiar to the way the Interlink works, BUT if you have ANYTHING turned on, e.g. Expo, travel limits, direction, CCPM mixes, throttle hold, IDLE-UP, etc.. the sim does not see this as no extra signals are being sent by your TX.

If you choose to set up your transmitter to emulate the Interlink ( best choice ) do the following.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Radio:

- Select, reset and NAME a new memory slot that will be reserved for simulator use.
- When you reset the memory slot choose the "TYPE" of device you will be controlling to AIRPLANE or ACRO (yes even for helis!)
- DO NOT turn on ANY MIXES or EXPO
- SET ALL OF YOUR TRAVEL THE SAME ( as high as possible )
- For most radios, TURN IT OFF once you have this new save slot set up.

On your computer and sim

- Plug the Interface into the computer and power up the machine
- Plug the interface into the transmitter
- The transmitter should power up leaving the Radio Transmission off.
On many radios the LED colors may change to reflect that the TX is not actually transmitting or the display may change.
- Start Realflight and select the controller
- The RF Interface should be the only item that appears in the controller list
- Next to the RF Interface will be the associated current profile. The default is FUTABA.
- Select the Spektrum Profile
- LEAVE the two check boxes turned ON
- Once the Spektrum Profile is selected, hit CALIBRATE
- Follow the on-screen calibration prompts.
- Once done hit EDIT
- Move ALL of your control and verify which inputs affect which Interlink channels.
- Pay particular attention to D/R, MODE, SMOKE and other aux inputs ( e.g. Throttle hold ).

By default the "MODE" ( gyro gain on some models, idle up or throttle hold on others ) is assigned to the ROTARY knob on the Spektrum radios. I re-assigned mine to a three position switch instead.

Then go fly as you're done.

This configuration will work with ALL planes and helis provided with Realflight and those that you download from the swap pages.
Note that different authors may re-assign functions at wll, so there are likely to be many variations.

When in doube "edit" the plane and observe the effects of the different TX inputs on the plane.

That's it!

----

If you choose to use the radio's own mixing:
-------------------------------------------------------

This is the most realistic configuration but you are in for a LOT of work!

I don't advise it for all but those who are pretty advanced flyers and who know the sim very well...

In other words, if you have to ask, you are not ready for this!

START
----------

On the Radio:

- Select, reset and NAME a set of new memory slot that will be reserved for simulator use.
- When you reset the memory slot choose the "TYPE" of device you will be controlling
- You will at LEAST need one slot for Helis, one for planes and one for gliders
- DO NOT turn on ANY MIXES or EXPO, you'll do this later
- SET ALL OF YOUR TRAVEL THE SAME ( as high as possible )
- Choose the first "slot" that you will be setting up... e.g. Heli
- For most radios, TURN IT OFF once you have this new save slots set up.

On your computer and sim

- Plug the Interface into the computer and power up the machine
- Plug the interface into the transmitter
- The transmitter should power up leaving the Radio Transmission off.
On many radios the LED colors may change to reflect that the TX is not actually transmitting or the display may change.
- Start Realflight and select the controller
- The RF Interface should be the only item that appears in the controller list
- Next to the RF Interface will be the associated current profile. The default is FUTABA.
- Select the Spektrum Profile
- LEAVE the two check boxes turned OFF
- Once the Spektrum Profile is selected, hit CALIBRATE
- Follow the on-screen calibration prompts.
- Once done hit EDIT
- Move ALL of your control and verify which inputs affect which channels.
- Save the profile under a new name... e.g. Spektrum Heli HWMIX
- Leave this profile as the default
- Exit the sim and unplug your TX

In the TX

- Set your current HELI profile for CCPM, if this resets travels, etc... set them up as before.
- Adjust your idle-up, dual rates and throttle holds
- Save the configuration and power off the TX

On the computer

- Plug the TX back into the RF Interface
- Start Realflight and go back and EDIT the profile you are configuring
- Using the on-screen display observe that turning on THROTTLE HOLD affects the throttle channel as you would expect
- Using the on-screen display observe that flipping IDLE-UP changes travel amounts as you would expect
- Close the profile editor

- Load the first model you will modify
- "Edit" the model and assign the respective channels ( you will have to save the variant under a new name ).
- In the editor DISABLE Dual RATES, Expo, THROTTLE HOLD for each channel. This can get somewhat complex on some models.
- Fly your model.
- From there on ALL adjustments will be done on the TX, but bear in mind that adjusting trim on the TX will also affect ALL Realflight models!

Go back to START and set up the next model type!

Note a best case scenario is to have one TX memory slot for ONE specific model in the sim... ugh.

Last edited by opjose; 11-18-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:03 AM

Stuck in Slave Mode

I followed your very detailed instructions (nice work) but seems I have hit a snag. When I plug the interface cable into the back of my DX8, it powers up in SLAVE mode. I went into the System/Trainer and found that this function is INHIB.

When I go into calibrate - there are no stick inputs. Moving sticks and switches produces no inputs.

Suggestions?
Old 12-16-2013, 07:37 AM

Did you follow my instructions?

This was in the link that I provided: did you look at this?

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/show...9&postcount=20
Old 12-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun2av8RC View Post
I followed your very detailed instructions (nice work) but seems I have hit a snag. When I plug the interface cable into the back of my DX8, it powers up in SLAVE mode. I went into the System/Trainer and found that this function is INHIB.

When I go into calibrate - there are no stick inputs. Moving sticks and switches produces no inputs.

Suggestions?
On most Spektrum and JR radios the training functions are not enabled by default even though your TX powers up in slave mode.

You need to enable the training functions, switch off the TX and plug it into the interface. The TX will power itself up with the transmitter disabled and should produce the PPM signals the Interface is looking for.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: