Go Back   Knife Edge > RealFlight - Discontinued Products > RealFlight 7
Use of this site is subject to our Terms of Use. | Looking for technical support? Read this!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 08:41 AM

Is there a reset button to default trim settings?

I'm new to RF-7 and radios. I have the Interlink Elite USB Ctlr. First off, I can't find a source for describing the interface buttons/switches/functions on Elite Ctlr.

Secondly, I played with the momentary slide buttons adjacent to each gimbal stick assuming they are trimmers. Now trim seems far out wack. Is there a reset button to restore trim back to factory defaults.

Thirdly, I'm learning the Quadcopter only, and can't seem to keep it straight&level in a hover when not trimmed-out properly. Are there any brief suggestions for teaching a noob how to trim a quad.... other than suggesting to RMA the simulator and give up on RC flying?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-17-2014, 08:47 AM

You can reset defaults in the launcher. As got the quad, welcome to RC. As with any model, its going to take practice, practice, practice.
Old 01-17-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machbuster View Post
I'm new to RF-7 and radios. I have the Interlink Elite USB Ctlr. First off, I can't find a source for describing the interface buttons/switches/functions on Elite Ctlr.
At best all you'll find are the functions labeled on the controller itself.

However like most new RC transmitters, the functions of the Interlink Elite can be assigned on a PER-Aircraft basis as you desire.

That means the switch that operates the landing gear on one aircraft, can be used for an entirely different purpose on another.

Your best bet is to drop to the editor and observe the software radio switch assignments, and watch the model as you flip the switches. That is what I do.

After a few tries you'll get the hang of how this works.

Quote:
Secondly, I played with the momentary slide buttons adjacent to each gimbal stick assuming they are trimmers. Now trim seems far out wack. Is there a reset button to restore trim back to factory defaults.
Yup they are digital trims.

As you press the trim buttons you'll hear distinctive tones as they move, and pass the middle.

Just push the trim to one extreme, then trim the other way until you hear the odd "middle" tone, and you'll have the trim set back to what the MODELER set up.

Quote:

Thirdly, I'm learning the Quadcopter only, and can't seem to keep it straight&level in a hover when not trimmed-out properly. Are there any brief suggestions for teaching a noob how to trim a quad.... other than suggesting to RMA the simulator and give up on RC flying?
Some quads have self leveling capabilities. In real life these are somewhat boring things to fly, more suitable as camera platforms only.

Like helicopters, quads stay at the last attitude ( not altitude ) you put them in. If there is an ever so slight inclination to ground level, they will accelerate in that direction.

Consider their downward thrust to be a "thrust vector", if you take part of that vector and off-set it ever so slightly, then the quad will move in that direction. At the same time since you've given up part of the upward thrust vector, the quad will also tend to decend.

You then have to compensate for that....

Learning RC is not easy, which is why Sims are so popular and helpful.

Just keep crashing until you "get it".

I've seen guys take years to "get" helis and quads.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Like helicopters, quads stay at the last attitude ( not altitude ) you put them in. If there is an ever so slight inclination to ground level, they will accelerate in that direction.

Consider their downward thrust to be a "thrust vector", if you take part of that vector and off-set it ever so slightly, then the quad will move in that direction. At the same time since you've given up part of the upward thrust vector, the quad will also tend to descend......
I noticed exactly what you are describing here, after a few dozen crashes. Then I realized the thrust-vector effort you mention. Using one stick (power) to compensate for changes in the other stick (roll/bank) is a bit tricky to master at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
... Just keep crashing until you "get it".
I've seen guys take years to "get" helis and quads.
I got the RF7 sim two days ago. I practice about 4-6 hours EVERY day. Actually, the hardest part for me so far, is loosing track of attitude and direction of travel when the quad is so far away you can hardly see the outline, let alone the fore and aft markers.

Just as I do in real flying, I try to always mentally stay compass-direction oriented with each direction change. It's much easier in a real plane than an RC model. And then when flying the quad around natural obstacles, situational awareness gets pressed to the limits, especially at high speeds.

Opjose, thanks for your detailed explanation; it helps when you're new at this!

Last edited by machbuster; 01-18-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
And then when flying the quad around natural obstacles, situational awareness gets pressed to the limits, especially at high speeds.
Yes indeed.

It is very easy to loose Quad Copter orientation in the real world, as they get out and away from you.

In part because unlike other aircraft ( including helis ) Quads keep flying at the same attitude even when you yaw them around completely.

At least with the heli there is the tail to guide you and there is the tendancy of the heli to weathervane into the direction of flight. Quads on the other hand just keep going.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 PM

I would like to suggest that you are wasting your time flying any aircraft so far away that it is hard to see (as a beginner). Push the red button... you lost control a long time ago. You are kidding yourself that you are flying. All beginners loose control and see the aircraft depart the area. You will notice when you watch experienced pilots, they do not fly that far from themselves.

Later, as you become more experienced, there is some value of learning to recover from a long distance away but not for a newbie.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Administrator

I accidentally deleted a follow-up post from machbuster. The gist of the post was that he is not trying to fly far away, but for the reasons opjose describes it ends up farther away than he intends before he realizes it. At that point he sometimes hits reset, but sometimes tries to bring it back intact, because it seems like that is also building skills and it's what he would want to do if it happened in real life.

Sorry machbuster!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Administrator

My own two cents on the issue of trim:

You could reset all of RealFlight's settings to default as abaser described, and that would certainly achieve the intended result. But it would be overkill.

As opjose mentioned, the tone for the center position is unique, which will help you determine when the trim is centered. I would further suggest turning on the radio gadget to help with this process if the trims really are all out of whack. Any trim that is not centered will be colored red. It will move visibly as you adjust it. Centered (zeroed) trims are colored black in the on-screen radio gadget.

I wonder if the trimming problem you describe is less about the need for trim and more about the need to develop the piloting skills necessary to maintain a hover.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:46 PM

There is also a binocular gadget... this will show a closeup view of the aircraft no matter how far away it gets. As a practical matter, when the aircraft get that far away in the real world, it is very unlikely that you are getting it back. Oh you may get it back, but you will not recognize it's mangled pieces. It is very common for new fliers to let one get away. Practice not letting it get away in the sim... fly close, but not too close
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12oclockhigh View Post
There is also a binocular gadget... this will show a closeup view of the aircraft no matter how far away it gets. As a practical matter, when the aircraft get that far away in the real world, it is very unlikely that you are getting it back. Oh you may get it back, but you will not recognize it's mangled pieces. It is very common for new fliers to let one get away. Practice not letting it get away in the sim... fly close, but not too close
I'm a newby to RF7 too, and agree with the comment of using the binocular gadget....... a quick glance will tell you the airplane's orientation when the model has diminished to a small size. Also I find the Nav Guide gadget useful in determining runway heading initially, then mentally adding or subtracting 90 degrees depending on the circuit pattern you're flying. Altitude is useful too.The airspeed is model speed I assume and pretty useless but the planes I've been flying seem stall proofed (but not crash-proofed!)
In the real model world I agree that at distance orientation to the flyer will be lost before the electronic link is lost, and a crash usually ensues.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Douglas View Post
My own two cents on the issue of trim:

You could reset all of RealFlight's settings to default as abaser described, and that would certainly achieve the intended result. But it would be overkill.....

....I wonder if the trimming problem you describe is less about the need for trim and more about the need to develop the piloting skills necessary to maintain a hover.
This is the situation as best I can describe. First, even when quads get a moderate distance from the pilot, it hard to tell which is front and rear Ė because they look the same from any angle (unlike heliís and fixed-wing a/c). In my case, the quad yawls on its own. So from a distance, it changes compass heading while in the same direction of travel. So itís hard to determine how to adjust the stick if you canít tell where the nose and tail are aimed.

I can usually determine the direction of travel. But I canít always know the nose head --- rendering the stick action to correct attitude pretty much a crap-shoot. The problem being, the yawling effect changes nose bearing without my detection at a distance. And if the nose is aimed at a 90 degrees angle from the direction of travel, and you push the stick forward to lower the nose, the thrust vector is pushing 90 degrees off the DOT. The result is different than what you would expect. Itís hard to change pitch if the craft is flying sideways instead of parallel to DOT.

Secondly, when I trim yawl one click to left to correct a right-pull, it over corrects it instead of arriving at neutral. Thereís no center. One click left, is too much to left. Then, one click right causes over comp to right. There is no in between at the neutral position. Hence, no real best trim point. And how it keeps yawling on its own and yet no changing direction (path) is a mystery to me.

I recorded some of these flights to review for myself. Youíre welcome to see one and determine if Iím still flying quad at too great a distance. Itís hard to keep in a tight reign when speed increases quickly in banks or pitches. Unless Iím unwittingly doing something wrong.

As opjose aptly pointed out -- in a bank the vector changes from upward to more sideways, thus loosing lift; so more throttle is needed to maintain altitude Ė which also increases horizontal speed quickly, and increases distance from pilot unless flying a circle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yusStZIWdqM

Comments are certainly welcome. I just want to get the hang of these quads ASAP as I have one on its way in the mail and want to be ready to fly it by Spring time. (for aerial photography)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: